2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Washington School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
sdn has helped me so much in my journey to UWSOM, so I want to be a resource here for 18-19 applicants! Feel free to @ me for any questions or advice needed. Just a E-18 incoming med student :)

Reactions: 3 users
sdn has helped me so much in my journey to UWSOM, so I want to be a resource here for 18-19 applicants! Feel free to @ me for any questions or advice needed. Just a E-18 incoming med student :)
Are you from in or out of region? I'm an OOR applicant and this is my DREAM school but I'm afraid I won't make it to secondaries since my only ties to Washington are the times I visited by myself :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you from in or out of region? I'm an OOR applicant and this is my DREAM school but I'm afraid I won't make it to secondaries since my only ties to Washington are the times I visited by myself :(
I am in region, from Seattle. I would definitely keep up hope even if you are OOR, UW does take a good handful of OOR students. If they don't end up letting you through with a secondary and you feel very strongly about this school, contact them and appeal. I've heard this working for a lot of OOR students, because sometimes it could be a computer hiccup, etc. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does UW require casper? I saw it on the casper website but I can't find anything on the med school's website. ugh...

Does UW require casper? I saw it on the casper website but I can't find anything on the med school's website. ugh...

No, at least not for E-18 and the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested in applying to U. Washington but I'm not in state. Should your stats be higher if you are OOS?

Reactions: 1 user
I am interested in applying to U. Washington but I'm not in state. Should your stats be higher if you are OOS?

Not necessarily, but that could help. I know they look for more exp with underserved pops. You can find more info on their website.

I highly recommend anyone applying to UW or just med schools in general to watch admission videos by Dr. Carol Tietz posted on the adm UW website.

Out of state or out of region? If you're in the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho) region go for it! If you're outside of that region the odds are not in your favor.

From the UWSOM FAQ (Admissions Frequently Asked Questions | UW Medicine):
"Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a significant commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

"Out of region applicants must have an exceptional record of service or come from a disadvantaged background to be considered."

From the UWSOM Acceptance Statistics (Acceptance Statistics | UW Medicine):
For the entering class of 2017, 288 people were accepted out of 1356 applications from the WWAMI region, an acceptance rate of around twenty per cent (crazy high compared to most medical schools). In contrast, only 44 students were accepted from 7251 out-of-region applicants, an acceptance rate of roughly 0.6% (in comparison, Harvard's matriculation rate is around 2%)

TL;DR - On a purely statistical basis, if you're out of the WWAMI region UW is one of the hardest schools in the country to get in to.

Wow sorry for the wall of text lol. Guess I got a bit carried away.

Last edited:
Out of state or out of region? If you're in the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho) region go for it! If you're outside of that region the odds are not in your favor.

"Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a significant commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

"Out of region applicants must have an exceptional record of service or come from a disadvantaged background to be considered."

For the entering class of 2017, 288 people were accepted out of 1356 applications from the WWAMI region, an acceptance rate of around twenty per cent (crazy high compared to most medical schools). In contrast, only 44 students were accepted from 7251 out-of-region applicants, an acceptance rate of roughly 0.6% (in comparison, Harvard's matriculation rate is around 2%)

TL;DR - On a purely statistical basis, if you're out of the WWAMI region UW is one of the hardest schools in the country to get in to.

this was very very helpful, thank you!!

this was very very helpful, thank you!!

It definitely is so true that OOR/S is so hard to make it to UW. But I've definitely seen successful OOR/S applicants get in because of their strong interest in underserved pops or interest in staying in WA. Although the stats above is really low, I always like to tell people to try because their secondary is only $35 (if they see themselves aligning to UW's mission). Great post/links Shadow Gryffin!

Per their website UW will be requiring CASPer this year, though they will not be using it for their admission decisions, apparently.

Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely is so true that OOR/S is so hard to make it to UW. But I've definitely seen successful OOR/S applicants get in because of their strong interest in underserved pops or interest in staying in WA. Although the stats above is really low, I always like to tell people to try because their secondary is only $35 (if they see themselves aligning to UW's mission). Great post/links Shadow Gryffin!
It's definitely not impossible to get in as an OOR applicant! It's just that you really have to fit the mission and be the kind of person they're looking for. If someone think's that is the case, like you said, it's only $35 for the secondary so why not throw your hat into the ring and see who bites! (to brutally mangle two metaphors).

Applying as a OOR applicant. Lets see how this goes! I feel like I fit their mission well so giving it a shot.

Anyone have any advise for an Idaho applicant?

GPA: 3.84
MCAT: scheduled for June 30th exam (I think I'm in the 507-510 range)
Undergraduate research (~500 hours) with publication co-author on 2 others
Volunteering (80 hours so far) will continue to volunteer until admission
Shadowing (~60 hours) with 3 different specialties
3/4 years of tutoring first generation, disadvantaged students at my University
Orientation Leader at my school
Disadvantaged status
I have a dedication to serve underserved areas (I want to one day bring my knowledge as MD to my home country of Afghanistan)

Also, does anyone know how competitive I am? There isn't much info on Idaho applicants for UW.

Disadvantaged status
I have a dedication to serve underserved areas (I want to one day bring my knowledge as MD to my home country of Afghanistan)

Also, does anyone know how competitive I am? There isn't much info on Idaho applicants for UW.

Tagging @UWIdahon to help answer some questions as I know they are an WWAMI Idaho student.
I'll be commenting as a E-18 Seattle student.
-For a 3.8 GPA + 507 MCAT (hopefully you'lll get higher) you have 18/68=26% acceptance
I believe it is like a 30% acceptance after you get an interview (I imagine higher for idaho pool)
I included the E-17 stats below, will update with E-18 stats probs in July/Aug
upload_2018-6-15_13-59-42.png

Your research is really good
Your volunteering seems a little on the low side (but really depends on how you spin it in your essays/how meaningful they are to you)
You shadowing is good. You have good variety and you can talk about some of the things you observed between the three
Everyone has a bit of tutoring experiences
Orientation leader shows a bit of leadership/public speaking

I will point out that you wanting to serve in Afghan is a little concerning bc their mission is more for WA, not international, but there are people who do their global health pathway. So I'm not quite sure how much that would influence your app. Current students could probs comment on that.

Best of luck!

I will point out that you wanting to serve in Afghan is a little concerning bc their mission is more for WA, not international, but there are people who do their global health pathway. So I'm not quite sure how much that would influence your app. Current students could probs comment on that.

Best of luck!
i wouldn't be concerned by it at all. Carry on.

Tagging @UWIdahon to help answer some questions as I know they are an WWAMI Idaho student.
I'll be commenting as a E-18 Seattle student.
-For a 3.8 GPA + 507 MCAT (hopefully you'lll get higher) you have 18/68=26% acceptance
I believe it is like a 30% acceptance after you get an interview (I imagine higher for idaho pool)
I included the E-17 stats below, will update with E-18 stats probs in July/Aug
View attachment 235687
Your research is really good
Your volunteering seems a little on the low side (but really depends on how you spin it in your essays/how meaningful they are to you)
You shadowing is good. You have good variety and you can talk about some of the things you observed between the three
Everyone has a bit of tutoring experiences
Orientation leader shows a bit of leadership/public speaking

Best of luck!
Are there stats like this for OOR students? Im Disadvantages, LGBT, have ties to UW (my aunt has worked in the hospital forever), but in the 3.5-3.65 range and 580-511 (idk if they avg). I think I fit the mission very well but I know theres a very very small % of OOR that they interview so I didnt know if they wanted higher stats.

Are there stats like this for OOR students? Im Disadvantages, LGBT, have ties to UW (my aunt has worked in the hospital forever), but in the 3.5-3.65 range and 580-511 (idk if they avg). I think I fit the mission very well but I know theres a very very small % of OOR that they interview so I didnt know if they wanted higher stats.

Take this with a large grain of salt, as I have no stats to back it up, but I don't think so. Your GPA and MCAT are right around their averages (3.7/3.65/510) and UW very explicitly wants OOR people to fit their mission to the WWAMI region. If you are a disadvantaged applicant AND have a strong desire to serve a particular underserved population (backed up by extensive EC's) you should be able to make a strong case for them to consider you. Stats really aren't everything at UW. Look at their average Step 1 score if you want proof of that.

PS - From the FAQ, regarding your MCAT scores: "The most recent MCAT is used in the initial screening process. All scores are incorporated in the discussion by the admission committee."

Is you aunt in a position of power? That couldn't hurt.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? Trying to get a head start.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? Trying to get a head start.
I believe the our AMCAS apps don't get sent out to schools until the 29th, this Friday. So you've got some time lol.

That being said the secondary is available online on UW's website (The Applications | UW Medicine) and also posted in a horrific form below.

"The following are required in the Secondary Application:
  1. An autobiographical statement which should include (250 word limit):

• the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician
    • your prior experiences in health care
    • steps taken to explore a career in medicine
    • your eventual goals as a physician
    • personal attributes that would make you a good physician
    • Please do not repeat what you wrote in your AMCAS Personal Comments (this will already be on file with our office). If you have already covered all of the above topics in your AMCAS application, use this space to let the Admissions Committee know who you are in addition to being someone who wants to be a physician.
  2. 4 or 5 additional short essays (250 word limit each)
    1. How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
    2. What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
    3. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
    4. How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you have worked with?
    5. For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?"

I believe the our AMCAS apps don't get sent out to schools until the 29th, this Friday. So you've got some time lol.

Ok great so this is the actual 2019 secondary or a reposting of last years on their website?

Ok great so this is the actual 2019 secondary or a reposting of last years on their website?
From my understanding, as a reapplicant, they update their secondaries within the previous cycle (like during interview time) for the next cycle. I know when Stella went around for info sessions, she always pointed out to go onto their website and start working on their secondaries. Even if there is a change, I know the questions below are always the same:
  1. Autobigraphy
  2. How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
  3. What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
  4. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
I believe the above are the new essays because #4 is written a bit different.

Disadvantaged status

I just saw this, but I’ll throw in my input as an Idaho student. I think that overall, they would like your application. I feel fairly confident that you would get an interview (as long as your PS and activity reflections aren’t a disaster).

GPA- this is great, well done
MCAT- I’m sure you don’t know your score yet, but if you hit your predicted range, you should be fine. Honestly, even if this is a little lower than you predict you still have a very good shot
Research- more than good enough
Volunteering- I agree that this is a little on the low side. What are you doing and how long have you been doing it? Did you just start two months ago? If so, that’s not good. This is my first of two concerns about your application.
Shadowing- definitely adequate
Tutoring- this is nice. I wish you had been doing it a little longer, but I’ll let it slide.
Orientation leader- basically fluff. I doubt it will be impressive, but it’s not bad.
Dedication to underserved areas- this is my second concern about your application. This is a great statement to make and I believe that it’s probably true. But I only see one part of your application that shows me you really mean it (tutoring disadvantaged students). Most of their applicants say they want to work in rural/underserved areas because they think it’s what they want to hear. You have to prove it. Did you shadow in an underserved area and reflect about that in the activities section? Are you volunteering with the underserved? Do you have some other connection that you made in your personal statement that you didn’t mention here? If so, that could end up squashing this concern and your application would look quite a bit stronger to me.

On the plus side, I can see a good story somewhere in here about being disadvantaged and having a desire to serve those from a similar background. If you can convey that story to them, I think that will be and impressive and unique part of your application. If you have a different story than all the basic white kids in Idaho (myself included), you will be very memorable and I think that will serve you well.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I found it was kind of difficult getting state specific answers about logistics, etc., so if I can help with that, I’m happy to.

I'm removing this from my signature, but I know this will come handy come next year Jan-Aug.

Here is the waitlist link for 2017-2018 or C/O 2022: UWSOM c/o 2022 Waitlist Movement

If someone can help create a brand new waitlist link for 2018-2019 when it gets closer to watilist time, that would be awesome.
Pretty intuitive, the graphs and everything were already formulated by the godly BABSstudent, you just need to save the final number of 2017-2018 and make space for 2018-2019.

Does anyone know when pre-secondaries are sent out to OOR applicants? Thank you!

Can anyone give nay insight into statistics for OOR applicants? Their website only include the in region applicants. I have a 122 on CARs, and a 501 overall. I'm afraid my MCAT is too low to be considered as an OOR applicant. I do however have strong experiences in underserved communities and strong letters that back up my passion.
All that info is on the UW website. Read the blurb about OOR applicants. They are totally transparent on what they're looking for.

Does anyone know when pre-secondaries are sent out to OOR applicants? Thank you!

Can anyone give nay insight into statistics for OOR applicants? Their website only include the in region applicants. I have a 122 on CARs, and a 501 overall. I'm afraid my MCAT is too low to be considered as an OOR applicant. I do however have strong experiences in underserved communities and strong letters that back up my passion.

90% of general questions and info about uwsom, is on their website. One of the most transparent schools. You just have to find it on its website. I definitely know an OOR with that MCAT has gotten in, but very strong in state ties, fits mission very well, interviews well and URM. I’m sure you have a chance, but don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t turn out the way you thought. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone OOR received a pre-secondary yet? Looking at last year's thread they sent out a bunch the first week of July, so I'm hoping that happens soon!

I haven't! And silly question, but is OOR different from OOS?

I haven't! And silly question, but is OOR different from OOS?
Not a silly question! In brief, kinda: UW has a region of states that it works with instead of the traditional In-State/Out-of-State dichotomy. The WWAMI region is made up of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho. The vast majority of UWSOM students will be residents of a WWAMI state or have significant ties to one.

UW has been my number one school since I started Undergrad. but I am OOR. It's starting to make me nervous that they released secondaries so early in July last year but no OORs on this thread have seen one yet this year :(

UW has been my number one school since I started Undergrad. but I am OOR. It's starting to make me nervous that they released secondaries so early in July last year but no OORs on this thread have seen one yet this year :(
No one in region has received one either. It's not time to panic yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Moved to WA for AmeriCorps service last September so I'm excited to apply as an IS applicant. Secondaries have been polished off for a while, eager to submit!

Any fellow WWAMI applicants here?

ID resident.
cGPA: 3.7 sGPA: 3.45 (AMCAS)
-MCAT: 502
-Shadowing: 100 hours- 4 Pulmonary physicians, 1 cardiologist, 1 oncologist. 1 DO Neuro-intensivist
-Patient exposure: Medical assistant/Scribe for Pulmonologist and Ophthalmologist (3000+ and counting) Helped start and currently volunteer at free medical clinic in my community- approx. 30 hours and counting
-Volunteer/Community service: Medical missions trip for 2 weeks as Lab tech and scribe for physicians; Serve at my church on Saturdays for 3 hours for approx. 3 years. (50+ hours) Free medical clinic as MA
-Leadership: Served as VP and President for club on campus. Also served as outreach coordinator for same club. Also a part of leadership development group with my church.
-Research Experience: Co-2nd author publication in low impact journal. Approx 400 hours over 8 months.

I know the MCAT is low but I'm hoping my patient exposure and real world experience will make up for that. How are my chances? Thanks!!

ID resident.
cGPA: 3.7 sGPA: 3.45 (AMCAS)
-MCAT: 502
-Shadowing: 100 hours- 4 Pulmonary physicians, 1 cardiologist, 1 oncologist. 1 DO Neuro-intensivist
-Patient exposure: Medical assistant/Scribe for Pulmonologist and Ophthalmologist (3000+ and counting) Helped start and currently volunteer at free medical clinic in my community- approx. 30 hours and counting
-Volunteer/Community service: Medical missions trip for 2 weeks as Lab tech and scribe for physicians; Serve at my church on Saturdays for 3 hours for approx. 3 years. (50+ hours) Free medical clinic as MA
-Leadership: Served as VP and President for club on campus. Also served as outreach coordinator for same club. Also a part of leadership development group with my church.
-Research Experience: Co-2nd author publication in low impact journal. Approx 400 hours over 8 months.

I know the MCAT is low but I'm hoping my patient exposure and real world experience will make up for that. How are my chances? Thanks!!

GPA: looks good to me
MCAT: you’re right that this isn’t high, but I think it’s still fine for UW. They care about other stuff more, but they do want to make sure you can handle med school, so be prepared to show them you can if it comes up.
Shadowing: this is plenty as long as you’ve reflected on it properly in your activities section.
Patient exposure: this looks excellent to me. Again, proper reflection is key.
Volunteer: tell us more about this clinic. What community is it in? Underserved perhaps? The church thing sounds interesting. The mission trip is not very impressive to me. Sounds like voluntourism. Overall, I think this seems good though. I like the free clinic most and I think they will too.
Leadership: this sounds about average, but should do. Any leadership responsibilities at work? Training, etc. you might try to add a little more if you can.
Research: this seems great as well.

I would say you are competitive. I think you will get an interview as long as there are no red flags. Good luck!

@UWIdahoan Thank you for the response and advice!! As far as the free clinic goes, we serve a community with a combined population of roughly 30k. Our community has quite a large uninsured population so it serves to provide primary care for those people. Definitely one of my most meaningful experiences so hopefully they like what I’ve learned from it. Unfortunately we have so many volunteers and few dates per month that I can only volunteer once a month so I’m looking to take on other leadership roles.

GPA: looks good to me
MCAT: you’re right that this isn’t high, but I think it’s still fine for UW. They care about other stuff more, but they do want to make sure you can handle med school, so be prepared to show them you can if it comes up.
Shadowing: this is plenty as long as you’ve reflected on it properly in your activities section.
Patient exposure: this looks excellent to me. Again, proper reflection is key.
Volunteer: tell us more about this clinic. What community is it in? Underserved perhaps? The church thing sounds interesting. The mission trip is not very impressive to me. Sounds like voluntourism. Overall, I think this seems good though. I like the free clinic most and I think they will too.
Leadership: this sounds about average, but should do. Any leadership responsibilities at work? Training, etc. you might try to add a little more if you can.
Research: this seems great as well.

I would say you are competitive. I think you will get an interview as long as there are no red flags. Good luck!
Would an OOR person have to have a lot of hours for service to be considered? I fit their mission of OOR for being disadvantaged have a decent amount of work in the LGBT+ community.

Would an OOR person have to have a lot of hours for service to be considered? I fit their mission of OOR for being disadvantaged have a decent amount of work in the LGBT+ community.

It’s really hard for me to say if you fit their mission enough to be considered competitive as an OOR applicant. What have you done in the LGBT+ community? How many hours? How many years? I don’t know that you necessarily have to have a lot of service hours, but I would say that you should have a lot of hours period (service, work, leadership) to show that you line up with their mission statement.

@UWIdahoan Thank you for the response and advice!! As far as the free clinic goes, we serve a community with a combined population of roughly 30k. Our community has quite a large uninsured population so it serves to provide primary care for those people. Definitely one of my most meaningful experiences so hopefully they like what I’ve learned from it. Unfortunately we have so many volunteers and few dates per month that I can only volunteer once a month so I’m looking to take on other leadership roles.

I think this sounds awesome and it’s cool that you’ve been a part of it. Definitely would catch my eye if I was on the admissions committee.

It’s really hard for me to say if you fit their mission enough to be considered competitive as an OOR applicant. What have you done in the LGBT+ community? How many hours? How many years? I don’t know that you necessarily have to have a lot of service hours, but I would say that you should have a lot of hours period (service, work, leadership) to show that you line up with their mission statement.
HIV testing at a free clinic for about 1.5 years at 150-200 hours. LGBT+ youth center for trans/non binary/queer youth since sept and 140 hours. Mentor to LGBT undergraduate student for the past year. Was afraid to do any type of that stuff when I was in the closet up until end of sophomore year (I grew up in a rural conservative area that was pretty homophobic so coming out was terrifying). And my goal is to decrease LGBT+ healthcare disparities and help integrate more LGBT+ health topics in medical curriculum. Outside of those things, I have 50-100 hours as a scribe at a free clinic for people without health insurance. I wish all of this stuff was more long term and Im continuing it during my gap year but stuff like the youth center had a minimum age so I had to wait to volunteer.

Have people gotten a ton of other secondaries though? I think my application is taking forever to get verified since its peak application time.