2018-2019 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For Alaska, the contract is because the State of Alaska pays part of our tuition (the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition). This means that each Alaska student owes/pays in-state tuition to U.W. And from what I understand, this does not limit fellowships, if the fellowship is done right after residency. For Alaska, it is also okay if other service commitments are met first (like a military, IHS, NHS..etc.). At least that's the way it was when I looked into all of those options.

Now if someone does not practice in state, they end up owing the State the money that was paid on their behalf. So it's a time or money payback.

Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted! Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear. UWSOM is a great school! I strongly feel that there is an even field between WWAMI sites. Also, the Seattle lectures are recorded and made available to all sites. So if you feel like you did not have the best lecture on a specific hour/topic, you can always watch a different lecturer give the same lecture. The curriculum between sites is identical and everyone takes the same exact tests. I am very happy with my choice (U.W.).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but can anyone shed light on why step 1 scores for UW are kinda low?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but can anyone shed light on why step 1 scores for UW are kinda low?

In interview day they said they were on par with the national average but your step scores come down to the effort you personally put in

In interview day they said they were on par with the national average but your step scores come down to the effort you personally put in
To add to this, many students want to go into primary care/ family medicine (makes sense, considering UW's top ranking in these specialties) so they don't grind for a really high score.

That being said, some students do and prepare accordingly as evidenced by the match list which shows matches to top residencies and institutions.

Reactions: 2 users
This is my third (and last) chance to get into UW. I had a feedback meeting with someone from UW SoM last cycle (after I submitted my second application) and they told me that the reason I hadn’t been offered an interview that round was that my personal statement wasn’t strong enough. I overhauled the statement this round and I think that’s why I finally was offered an interview.

I’ve also worked very closely with my undergraduate institution’s premed advisor and with the members of my school’s prehealth board to make sure the whole primary was cohesive and persuasive.

Maybe it was my secondaries that weren’t strong enough? My other hypothesis is that admissions committees are not super enthusiastic about my research experiences since in their eyes this might make me better suited for an MD/PhD or a PhD program.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I know that the secondaries are a HUGE hurdle to cross. A good friend of mine wiped the floor with me regarding the McAT and GPA. He has a compelling story and is a likeable dude. Seemed an absolute sure thing.

We both applied at the same time and both received secondaries. I poured my soul into those secondaries and tried to convey who I was as a person. I don't believe my friend did that. I ended up with an interview and am now accepted whereas he was denied after the secondary.

It appears IMPERATIVE that your personal statement and secondary essays must be on point. I had five+ drafts of my personal statement and anguished over the essays for days, tweaking and perfecting.

Good luck and keep us up to speed on how it goes.

Reactions: 1 users

If on par means “within ten points,” then sure, this is true.

Is it likely that the Seattle committee is meeting tomorrow? (Barring any more snow...) From the past it looks like they meet on Thursdays and I don't think there are interviews this week

Is it likely that the Seattle committee is meeting tomorrow? (Barring any more snow...) From the past it looks like they meet on Thursdays and I don't think there are interviews this week
I doubt theres any regularity to the meetings. We last got SUC emails late Jan so that likely counts for Feb. We probably wont hear back until March (likely March 15th).

hey, alaska WWAMI people -- did anyone see the state budget proposal released today? all funding for WWAMI completely eliminated. i wonder what this means for the E19 class...

hey, alaska WWAMI people -- did anyone see the state budget proposal released today? all funding for WWAMI completely eliminated. i wonder what this means for the E19 class...
that's hard to believe. link?

Members don't see this ad :)
that's hard to believe. link?
Looks like the budget for WWAMI actually went up, despite the large cuts elsewhere: https://www.omb.alaska.gov/ombfiles/19_budget/EED/Proposed/rdu68.pdf

I'm not an accountant though, so I may have messed it up.

EDIT: I did mess it up, see below

Last edited:
Looks like the budget for WWAMI actually went up, despite the large cuts elsewhere: https://www.omb.alaska.gov/ombfiles/19_budget/EED/Proposed/rdu68.pdf

I'm not an accountant though, so I may have messed it up.

That is for the year 2019, the year currently in progress. Look at the changes for 2020:
DzT8FpfVYAAhkpo.jpg

This happens every few years, and usually fails. However, this time our governor is firmly against WWAMI and has line item veto power, so even if the budget is amended we may still lose our WWAMI seats. Generally, matriculated students are guaranteed to graduate despite changes in funding, but the status of accepted applicants who have not yet matriculated is unclear.

Hoping for the best. I've declined my other acceptances, so I'll be devastated if I'm unable to attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is for the year 2019, the year currently in progress. Look at the changes for 2020:
View attachment 250732

This happens every few years, and usually fails. However, this time our governor is firmly against WWAMI and has line item veto power, so even if the budget is amended we may still lose our WWAMI seats. Generally, matriculated students are guaranteed to graduate despite changes in funding, but the status of accepted applicants who have not yet matriculated is unclear.

Hoping for the best. I've declined my other acceptances, so I'll be devastated if I'm unable to attend.
Oh wow yeah, you're right. That's horrible, I have no idea what I would do in that situation. I really hope this works out for you, I'm sure UW has some kind of plan in place for this sort of situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow yeah, you're right. That's horrible, I have no idea what I would do in that situation. I really hope this works out for you, I'm sure UW has some kind of plan in place for this sort of situation.
Agreed. UW is very far-reaching in many arenas. They will find a way to take care of the Alaskan cohort.

Why is the governor against WWAMI when there is no other in-state option for Alaskan residents?

Anyone know when we get our student ID information from UWSOM? There's a bunch of stuff we need to get in before July and I'd like to get started but can't without our IDs.

Anyone know when we get our student ID information from UWSOM? There's a bunch of stuff we need to get in before July and I'd like to get started but can't without our IDs.

I just got my background stuff back and submitted. The little email said it would be 4-6 weeks before we were given IDs to get into everything.

So depending on when you got everything done, it could be well over a month.

Huh. Update for those accepted to Alaska WWAMI, from an email UW sent us yesterday:
"As you may have heard, Governor Dunleavy’s proposed budget eliminates the funding for the Alaska WWAMI program. While it is alarming to be faced with elimination of the Alaska WWAMI funding, this is the beginning of a long process that will be undertaken in the Alaska Legislature.

We are working diligently to ensure that full funding will be restored for WWAMI. The University of Washington School of Medicine is working with the University of Alaska Anchorage regarding what this means for your matriculation to the Alaska WWAMI program for August 2019.

We know you have decisions to make regarding your acceptance to medical school and we will get more information to you as soon as it is available. There will also certainly be advocacy efforts where you can be involved if desired and we will keep you informed as those efforts unfold as well.

In the meantime, please feel free to contact the UWSOM Admissions office or UAA WWAMI office directly with questions or concerns. We are more than happy to assist where we can."

That's a pretty different tone from the email they sent matriculated students, in which they made clear assurances that they will be able to complete the program. Sounds like there's no guarantee we'll end up attending this fall :unsure:

Huh. Update for those accepted to Alaska WWAMI, from an email UW sent us yesterday:

That's a pretty different tone from the email they sent matriculated students, in which they made clear assurances that they will be able to complete the program. Sounds like there's no guarantee we'll end up attending this fall :unsure:
i'm sorry. That really sounds like a stressful situation to be in :(

Do you have a netID yet? If so, you can log into myuw.washington.edu to find out under academics and then transcripts.

If not, you can always call A300!

Agreed. UW is very far-reaching in many arenas. They will find a way to take care of the Alaskan cohort.

Why is the governor against WWAMI when there is no other in-state option for Alaskan residents?

This article has some information. Essentially, he feels that WWAMI does not produce enough physicians returning to Alaska. The article neglects to mention that 60% of graduates ultimately return to the state, which is a fairly high return rate, considering the extreme difficulties most hospitals face recruiting doctors here.

i'm sorry. That really sounds like a stressful situation to be in :(

Thanks. It's definitely tough. I don't look forward to the possibility of reapplying after thinking I'm in the green. Not to mention the many bright AK students who will have a much rougher go at the application cycle without WWAMI.

This article has some information. Essentially, he feels that WWAMI does not produce enough physicians returning to Alaska. The article neglects to mention that 60% of graduates ultimately return to the state, which is a fairly high return rate, considering the extreme difficulties most hospitals face recruiting doctors here.

Thanks. It's definitely tough. I don't look forward to the possibility of reapplying after thinking I'm in the green. Not to mention the many bright AK students who will have a much rougher go at the application cycle without WWAMI.
I'm sure if it ends up being the case that UW Alaska can't accept people for E-19, I think your other school acceptances can be negotiated back?
I trust that Alaska will have a E-19 class

I'm sure if it ends up being the case that UW Alaska can't accept people for E-19, I think your other school acceptances can be negotiated back?
I trust that Alaska will have a E-19 class
UW has pretty big donors. If it's a no-go from the Alaskan government, I can totally see the donors stepping in. It would be a landmark case and no one wants to see these students without the opportunities they earned.

I have faith that it will work out. :luck:

UW has pretty big donors. If it's a no-go from the Alaskan government, I can totally see the donors stepping in. It would be a landmark case and no one wants to see these students without the opportunities they earned.

I have faith that it will work out. :luck:

I agree. I am absolutely gobsmacked that they would try to pull funding for the ONLY group creating home grown physicians. Perhaps other legislators will whisper into the governors ear about the dearth of physicians treating their constituency.

If not, perhaps the media should get involved. I'm willing to bet most citizens have no idea this is happening.

I agree. I am absolutely gobsmacked that they would try to pull funding for the ONLY group creating home grown physicians. Perhaps other legislators will whisper into the governors ear about the dearth of physicians treating their constituency.

If not, perhaps the media should get involved. I'm willing to bet most citizens have no idea this is happening.
Totally. It could also be a power play for undisclosed reasons. You know how politicians do ...

Reactions: 2 users
This is my third (and last) chance to get into UW. I had a feedback meeting with someone from UW SoM last cycle (after I submitted my second application) and they told me that the reason I hadn’t been offered an interview that round was that my personal statement wasn’t strong enough. I overhauled the statement this round and I think that’s why I finally was offered an interview.

I’ve also worked very closely with my undergraduate institution’s premed advisor and with the members of my school’s prehealth board to make sure the whole primary was cohesive and persuasive.

Maybe it was my secondaries that weren’t strong enough? My other hypothesis is that admissions committees are not super enthusiastic about my research experiences since in their eyes this might make me better suited for an MD/PhD or a PhD program.

Any news yet? I'm chomping at the bit to hear good things for you :)

Reactions: 6 users
For those who have interviewed/received an acceptance, how was the process of confirming residency? I attended school out of state and have taken longer than 4 years to complete my degree, just wondering what the process is like. Thanks!

For those who have interviewed/received an acceptance, how was the process of confirming residency? I attended school out of state and have taken longer than 4 years to complete my degree, just wondering what the process is like. Thanks!

I had to work on my residency last March(ish). Fortunately it is easy at my school. It basically involved listing all of your addresses and those of your parents. Basically just giving them a trail to see where you've lived.

Mine took about a week to come back.

I went to UW for undergrad and my residency is still Washington, but I have been in Boston for the past 2 years doing a master's program. It took several weeks to get verified. Many documents are required that verify your residency. My parents live there still so I had to send verification that they were in Washington for the 12 months prior to the application cycle. I submitted all of my documents in August (later than I should have) and I wasn't verified until November. I interviewed a short while ago though!

anybody else plan on going to 2nd look?

Second look was fun! You get to talk to the current MS1s and learn more about the school. It’s really a stress free day and it’s nice to meet your classmates and some faculty early!

Is there a FB page for Montana? Oooor does anyone want to start one?

Does anyone know if UW is receptive to additional letters of recommendation (uploaded through AMCAS) from applicants "Still Under Consideration"? I understand that they don't accept update letters, and am wondering if new LORs fall into that category. Thanks!

Good luck to Idaho folks interviewing this week! If you get an acceptance call, there is a Facebook page for updates on things like second look, white coat ceremony dates, etc. Once accepted, it will be a better source of information from here on out than sdn. Just search UWSOM E-2019: Idaho Cohort. :)

Does anyone know if UW is receptive to additional letters of recommendation (uploaded through AMCAS) from applicants "Still Under Consideration"? I understand that they don't accept update letters, and am wondering if new LORs fall into that category. Thanks!
I believe if you did not fill up all 6 of your letters (maximum), you still can. I'd call/email admissions just to make sure.

Is the consensus that we should hear back around March 15th?

Is the consensus that we should hear back around March 15th?
I think we could hear back as early as tomorrow tbh. Most activity will happen right before 3/15 with waitlist determined later in March/early April I think.

Idaho decisions should go out today. Sorry Seattle peeps, you’ll probably have to wait until next week.

Idaho decisions should go out today. Sorry Seattle peeps, you’ll probably have to wait until next week.

And just like that my anxiety just went through the roof. Thanks for the info though!