1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by teeayejay, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Nathan17182

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Adcoms probably won't know that off the bat unless its a well known medically underserved country. You could talk about it in adversity essays if it actually affected you growing up or if you want to go there and practice you can talk about that when they ask what type doctor you want to be during interviews.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Hmm, I never realized we were underserved. I know my family did struggle to keep health insurance growing up (mentioned that as part of my PS because I have had major surgery before). Honestly, looking into leaving my home state longterm if possible, so don't see myself practicing here. Idk thanks for the advice though.

4. nekoatsume

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone! I've been a long time lurker on SDN (mostly), but I'm finally applying this cycle, so I thought I'd join in here first!

About Me:
    black female CA resident. economically disadvantaged (bc childhood), but didn't qualify for FAP. Submitted 05/31, verified 06/04. 3.12 cGPA, 3.03 sGPA; Includes 30 units of 4.0 postbacc GPA.

MCAT: 512 (128 125 130 129); don't know what happened with CARS, I always scored between 128-130 on practice...

Clinical Experience (3400+ hours): 3000+ hours as a clinical research coordinator in nephrology, 200 hours as an OB/GYN scribe (paid), 250 hours (volunteer) providing blood pressure/BMI screenings in multiple clubs.

Volunteering (~1700 hours total, 1200 non clinical, 500 clinical): 600 hours as lead director for volunteer org addressing hypertension in black/underserved minority communities, 200 hours as a volunteer "social worker", 250 hours in a free clinic, 200 hours kidney health education/outreach, 100 volunteering with community public health organization for black women, 50 hours preparing/distributing food to the homeless w/ organization

Research (Aside from the clinical research above; 500 hours): 250 hours research assistant in a neurology lab, 250 hours research assistant in geriatrics

4 research posters total, 2 first author + presentation. 2 other posters co-authored.

Teaching: 250 hours in an internship in Japan for an "Empowerment Program" for Japanese high school students.

Other Leadership (outside of volunteering): - 700 hours as captain on a dance team on campus. Fun, but tanked my GPA. Should've dropped sooner.

Shadowing: - 500 total hours shadowing nephrologists, OB/GYNs, & resident pediatricians.

LORs/Other Stuff: - Very strong LOR packet, Chancellor's Service Award from undergrad, "Good" level fluency in Japanese (not of Japanese descent; CA State Seal of Biliteracy), "basic" level fluency in Tagalog/Filipino.

GAP YEAR PLANS: clinical research coordinator position full-time + more upper level science courses & Spanish (community college)

Mostly interested in/applying to schools offering MD/MPH programs (public health minor) + clinical research.

School list right now:
    All UCs, all HBCUs, Vandy, Mayo, USC Keck, Tulane, UAZCOM Phoenix, U Cincinnati, Creighton, Rush, Dartmouth, Georgetown, George Washington, Loyola, U Rochester, SLU, Drexel, Rosy F, NYMC, Tufts, Hofstra, Duke, Columbia, U Chicago, Cornell, Harvard, Pitt, U Miami, JHU, Case Western, Jefferson (~40 schools total).

Sorry for the wall of text lol. I'm kinda worried about having so many top schools on the list with such a low GPA, but was advised to add them by a few people. Definitely open to any comments on school list + cycle experiences! Best wishes for everyone!

5. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    I think that you'll definitely get some attention from schools. You have some great EC's and a great MCAT. I'd make sure you have schools that reward reinvention on your list especially with your 4.0 post-bacc (Pretty sure Goro has a list somewhere if you look). I have to be honest though. The top 15's and Ivies (JHU, Havard, Columbia, Duke and a few more) that you have are probably a long shot - your undergrad GPA I think is just gonna take you out of the running for them, you never know though. But regardless, you'll definitely get attention somewhere. Make sure you focus the bulk of your energy on secondaries at schools that are realistic then do reaches. 40 schools is A LOT and if you start to get behind on secondaries you'll be lost before you know it. Good luck!!

6. nekoatsume

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! Yeah, I've pre-written a lot of the common secondary prompts already and starting the more realistic school-specific ones today. I thought the same about those top 15s/Ivies, but Goro recommended them and I know I'll always wonder "what if" if I don't apply (even if that means a donation + rejection lol).

7. PursuingHappy

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Submitted today. Haven't written any secondaries just yet.

8. PursuingHappy

Pre-Medical
    I was going over my app after submission and noticed that AMCAS didn't designate me as first generation. My mother has an associate's and my father did not graduate from high school. I had always thought first generation meant parents did not have at least a four year degree. I am not sure how medical schools will take this into account, but just wanted to give a heads up.

9. nekoatsume

Pre-Medical
    I’m like 90% sure that Disadvantaged status/First gen status didn’t appear for me until I was verified (i.e: the sections were there after submission but didn't have a designation til post-verification).

10. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    My app is under review, but it still shows "yes" under first generation. Both my parents were "some college, no degree." Can't speak for disadvantaged since I didn't mark it.

11. SurgeryGoddess

Pre-Medical
    I just noticed NYMC requires an official letterhead and signature for recommendation letters but that's the only school I've seen so far. Should I ask my writers (who have already completed the letters) to put on official letter heads & sign or will they be lenient about this?

Also, has anyone only sent in an app with one LOR from a Sci professor versus two that the schools request?

12. PursuingHappy

Pre-Medical
    I can see it after submitting but not verifying. It says "ready for review" and it says "No" for first generation. There isn't anything under disadvantaged but I checked yes to that. That probably won't show until after verification.

13. 51nyseet

Hey everyone! I just had a stats question because I have no idea what kind of applicant I really am

Cumulative GPA: 3.5
    S GPA: ~ 3.6
    Mcat: taking July 20
    Shadowing: 150 hours (family med, pediatrics, endocrinologist, cardiology)
    Second generation AA male (23 yrs old)
    NY resident
    Just finished up collegiate athletics after 5 years and graduate in December.

Need help on starting the school list.

PinkHibiscus likes this.
  14. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Just submitted. Another step closer.

15. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    Letterhead and signature is standard practice for letters of recommendation - a professor would know this. Assume that all schools require a letter and signature because they most likely do.

16. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    You'll probably get a couple interviews with your GPA and military service. If I were you, I would've retook and waited to submit. If you can bring your MCAT to a 508 or 510, you would be able pick any school you wanted to go to. The 499 will most likely get your screened out at a lot of schools. 125 is generally the cut off point for any subsection, but I've seen some people with 123 still have some success. You may get cut a little slack since you're ESL, but it's hard to say how adcoms will look at the 120. What schools did you apply to?

17. OMGaNotherPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Howard & Morehouse.

I’d likely retake it early August if my CARS is improving. My app would be complete and verified with my 499. But, would this put me at disadvantage since it would be late? Also, would adcoms evaluate me soley on my 499 even thought my score is pending?

18. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    Adcoms will evaluate you with whatever they have at the time they look at your application, they may take note that you're retaking though. Since you've already submitted, your app will probably be looked at before they would get your new score. Howard and Morehouse might still give you an interview.

For a potential retake: I think you should take your time and really practice CARS. I recommend buying the ExamKracker CARS book, it has some great strategies and practice passages and then buy the CARS question pack from AAMC and do timed practice with that. Once you know how to approach CARS from EK the only authentic way to prepare further is real CARS passages which come from the question pack.

I'm honestly not sure if you should plan to retake it for next year's cycle or if its worth taking it this cycle and updating those two schools (I'm leaning towards it would probably to late to help you out and rushing a retake is never a good idea). If you ended up doing really well, it would definitely be too late to apply to any other schools. Since I am definitely not an expert I'll tag an adcom and see what he says.

@Goro what do you recommend in this situation?

19. OMGaNotherPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you Nathan! You are the man.
    Looking forward to some words of wisdom from @Goro!

20. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Apply to all HBCs, your state school and some DO schools. I would plan on a retake next spring if you get no love this cycle. And many thanks for your service to our country!

21. HT2341

HT2341 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Submitted! The level of neuroticism reading over that thing again and again was too real. I can only imagine how writing these secondaries is gonna go.

TempuraOreos likes this.
  22. medical.balla

Medical Student
    Hey guys I'm wondering if I would be considered URM.

I was born in Kabul, Afghanistan. Moved here when I was 6. My parents never went to college or attained any kind of education here in the United States.

Anyone know the answer to this?

23. OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

URM is based on race and is generally Black, Mexican, Native and PR.

Socioeconomic status and parental educational attainment are both related to the SES disadvantaged status. In one section you will input your parents info and the app will designate your status. If your upbringing interfered with your educational attainment and set you behind your peers in terms of preparedness for college, you can self designate and there is a short essay you can write illustrating your obstacles.

medical.balla and Nathan17182 like this.
  24. Sadeyanno

Yes please let me know , message me because I don’t know how to on here lol. I’m new to the forum

25. FlyMissMD93

FlyMissMD93 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Just click my name and send me a private message. I can’t message you directly for some reason.

26. tanbrucewayne

Pre-Medical
    Just joined today and here's to a good cycle for all of us!

OchemOficionado likes this.
  27. tanbrucewayne

Pre-Medical
    What range are you projecting for your MCAT and do you have research/clinical/volunteer experiences?

28. 51nyseet

I predict 503-508
    Ive done undergrad research for 2 years and have done 150 hours of volunteering with an emphasis on underserved areas

29. lecrah_96

Finally submitted today!

30. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Like honestly, so accurate.

31. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Good luck.

lecrah_96 likes this.
  32. OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Welcome! You’re going to have an amazing cycle!

33. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    Sounds like you have a great application! Your school list is very well put together and I hope you're ready for a bunch of interviews!

yetanotherthrowaway82 likes this.
  34. yetanotherthrowaway82

Pre-Medical
    Just one acceptance and I'll be more than happy! Thanks for the support!

OchemOficionado likes this.
  35. yetanotherthrowaway82

Pre-Medical
    Appreciate the support! Congrats on getting in and good luck in med school!

36. MexicanMamba

Latino (Mexican/El Salvadorian) - bilingual.

Traditional applicant. Will go into senior year in college. (Chem major).

LA resident.

GPA: 4.0
    MCAT: 506 (127/125/127/127)

Experiences:

Research: 2 years (1500+ hours) in a neurosurgery lab. 1 publication with several posters/presentations. Still working here. The lab has two components- clinical and lab bench work. I do Both. Before this I did a summer program which led to my work getting awarded and a grant to continue funding the project.

Shadowing: 400 hours shadowing several specialties.

Clinical volunteer: 100 hours at an emergency room.

Non clinical volunteer: 1 year (250 hours) as a basketball assist coach working with kids that lacked a foundational support system. . Just started another position volunteering with a non profit organization.

Lived in Mexico/ El Salvador for the summers during my high school years to experience the culture.

Apart of two clubs: One for about 2 years and 1 for about 4 months.

Submitted as disadvanatge (economically) and qualified for fap. Just got my app verified yesterday :).

Anybody have any idea of where I should shoot for in terms of top schools? I’ve already applied to my state schools/ safeties but wanted to throw in some reaches. Would UCLA/Duke/Emory/UCSF give me an okay chance?

Good luck everybody!

37. OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Damn, that’s a lot of shadowing!! What in the world, lol.

I think UCLA for sure, someone else will have to comment on the others :)

MexicanMamba likes this.
  38. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    Great app! Your 4.0 will definitely help you out along with your research hours. Really as long as you have a good few safety schools, you can add any reaches you want. If you like those 4 schools you listed then apply to those. I'd just go through the top schools and really read their mission statements and research them a bit and if you think you might like it submit an app. Since you have FAP, all you'll have to pay for beyond the 16 schools is the 26 or however much it is for extra primaries.

MexicanMamba likes this.
  39. A50

A50

Hi everyone. I am a first time applicant and new to SDN

Black female - Nigerian
    MD resident, disadvantaged
    3.41 cGPA, 3.22 sGPA (double degree in biology and public health), 4.0 sGPA and cGPA (graduate post bacc program)
    MCAT: 511 (129, 126, 128,128)

Clinical Experience (2300+ hours): scribing, patient tech, shadowing

paid employment: (6000+) full time restaurant position (had to work through college cause of family circumstance), full time intern for government agency (public health)

Volunteering ( 870+ non clinical, 144 clinical): ER volunteer, intern for another government agency (public health), intern for non-profit organization, 2 volunteer trips

Research: 700+ hours departmental honors project ( high honors) ( no publication)

Teaching: 390 hours teaching low income and ESL kids at a local school

Leadership: 200+ hours senate committee member, volunteer trip leader

Gap year: MPH program and continuing paid internship at government agency

Schools: UMD, case western, Einstein, Emory, Yale, Columbia, evms, vcu, Quinnipiac, mount Sinai, Ohio state, Morehouse, Howard, saint louis, Thomas Jefferson, u Pittsburg, u Michigan, u Chicago, Wayne state.

Please provide any comments on school list. Good luck to everyone.

40. soccerkid96

Hey Everyone !

I am new to SDN and a first time applicant looking for some support through the process
    AA male,Haitian, NYS resident
    3.75 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, Ivy League undergrad
    MCAT: 519 (130, 128, 131,130)

-Shadowing: 100+ hours (in US and abroad) in many difference specialties
    -Hospital Volunteering: 150+ hours
    -Outreach to homeless community: 25 hours
    -Pre-medical study abroad program (selective, top university abroad)
    -Research: 600 hours neurobio lab, poster presentation/talks (no pubs)
    -Tutoring: 150 hours tutoring orgo/bio
    -LORs: Should all be strong/personal
    -Strong PS
    -Medical education intern at a hospital (360 hours)
    -Experience as a standardized patient for medical students
    -Gap year: working at large cancer center

Applying: NY Schools: Mount Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Downstate, Einstein, Stony Brook, NYMC, Albany. Other: Georgetown, GW, Yale, Upenn, Harvard, UConn, Tufts, BU, Rutgers, Brown

Let me know what you think about the school list/chances! Any feedback appreciated

41. crimsontidefan

Pre-Medical
    Wow, you're golden! Congratulations in advance on your multiple acceptances lol

42. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    You have a very balanced list, I think you'll have a very successful cycle! If there are any other top schools you're interested in, definitely apply to them. As I was told at the beginning of my cycle, don't underestimate how in demand you'll be. Be ready for tons of interviews!

One note: I'm curious about your pre-medical study abroad program - Was it a shadowing program, a medical mission trip, or classes? If it was a medical mission trip and you paid for the program, I would just be mindful of how you talk about it. I did a medical mission trip and didn't get any negative feedback from it but I definitely took time to explain the program and stress that it wasn't medical tourism and I was apart of the club before and after I went on the trip.

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  43. soccerkid96

LOL thank you! I am hoping for the best and for at least 1 NY school. It looks like you're going to have an amazing cycle as well! Best of luck to us both

44. soccerkid96

Thank you! I am glad you think the list is well balanced. I wanted a mix of state schools as well as reach schools.

The pre-medical study abroad program was classes, with the opportunity to shadow at several different clinics as well while abroad. I took several biology/health courses and have a separate transcript for them. Thank you for the heads up though! Always good to know the distinction between the different types of programs overseas.

45. Nathan17182

Pre-Medical
    Great! Again, if there are any other schools that you're interested in definitely apply! I'll recommend WashU and UChicago (they are both known for being very generous with financial aid as well).

46. CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member

Hey! U seem like a solid applicant. I wouldn't sell yourself too short even with the lower undergrad gpa. Especially with all of your hours. Apply to schools u match with stat-wise, but also throw some reaches in there if u feel your story/experience is compelling (& u have funds/time). Overall, best of luck. I wish I had your app going in :)

47. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    I already know you're getting an acceptance with a scholarship this cycle. Get the secondaries in on time and you're golden.

48. CUatthefinishline

2+ Year Member

@A50
    EDIT: I'd also apply to every school near/in Chicago/Illinois, especially Rush (but I'm biased). Actually consider more schools in the Midwest. We tend to be more forgiving & holistic in my opinion.

49. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    Jumping in there as a "non traditional" URM. Im LGBT+ from a rural background so some schools may consider it URM but many of those schools I have no chance with my stats (JHU, Yale, UChicago, NW, UCSF, etc)

50. gowalker

Hi, first time user. I am concern about my chances of "getting" into MD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

cGPA 3.9. sGPA 3.8
    MCAT 507
    Black, immigrant, trad, biomedical science major

EC:
    -
    Research assistant (1 semester) in ADHD
    - Research asistsnt (summer) psychistry
    -research assistant (summer) RNA transcripts
    -Shadowing aprox. 150hrs (PCP, Psychiatry)
    - Volunteering aprox 180 (hospital)
    - two independent projects ( 1 raised money for homeless youths & 2 raised money for orphan to go to school)
    -Honors College
    -worked 3 jobs as undergrad (tutor , campus tour guide, receptionist)
    -devoted 3 summers at College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia Uni. as intern
    - 2x TA

Side note: Battle medical issues throughout undergrad (cardiac surgery, eye surgeries) along with family health and financial issues, so I could not devote time to join any clubs or do alot volunteering and stuff like that.

Schools that I am interested in:
    Columbia
    Duke
    Emory
    Yale
    Northwestern
    Cornell
    Dartmouth
    UNC
    Mt. Sinai
    Stony Brooks
    SUNY Albany
    New York Medical College
    Boston Med
    Ohio State
    Howard
    Morehouse
    Medical Uni of south carolina
    Penn state
    Tufts
    Drexel

What do you guys think? Also, I have great LORs. Thank you guys in advance.

51. soccerkid96

That would be ideal, but just hoping for one! Do you think pre-writing secondaries is smart in order to get them in faster? Do the prompts vary from year to year?