Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. hugh2012

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone get interviews from the holds?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. wingsicarus

Pre-Medical
    apparently yes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ferriswheel804

Has anyone sent in LOI? Interviewed in August and still on hold for acceptance. VCU is my top choice and I feel like with MMI you don't get as much of a chance to express interest. I can't remember what the adcom said about LOI's though

aqifjak likes this.
  4. rasputinc

Pre-Medical
    Same boat, interviewed in the fall and still on hold. VCU is my top choice as well.
    I snuck a letter of intent into the end of an update letter that I sent. The primary purpose of the letter was updates though because I also couldn't remember if VCU accepts LOIs. Good luck on Feb 1st!

5. blnk

after the committee reviewed our application, a score of 4 or 5 will automatically be rejected right? those who received a score of 1-3 will get the "on hold for possible acceptance" portal update?

aqifjak likes this.
  6. MMClark

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone, just wondering what it means if you still have
    "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.".

I submitted late August. OOS. Thanks is advance!

7. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Yay! Finally got the “file review is complete” message after submitting in July lol. Excited for my future rejection!

Kiwi95 likes this.
  8. maggracers

I don't know who said that. but wouldn't that inherently make it tougher for earlier applicants because those closer to the acceptance date would be considered more than those who were passed over earlier?

9. studentdoctor2040

Pre-Medical
    +1

10. bxz3

Pre-Medical
    I had this message for several weeks, and today it changed to this (the bottom part just got added):

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

Please note that your file may be put on hold for the following reasons:
    Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately.

Not sure what this means. Am I on hold? MCAT already taken and pre reqs as well.

11. maggracers

No it just means that you may be put on hold for any of those reasons.

12. bxz3

Pre-Medical
    Thank you!

13. Unlimited Apps

Unlimited Apps King of Appetizers and Too Many MD Apps

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Guys, I am pretty sure that regardless of what status we show (sub-committee or full-committee review) everyone's application has already been reviewed (atleast those submitted normal time before september).

If we haven't received an interview yet, we are probably all getting rejections.

Kiwi95 likes this.
  14. blnk

unless more interview spots open up

15. Unlimited Apps

Unlimited Apps King of Appetizers and Too Many MD Apps

Obviously that is always a possibility but thats why I said "probably" and not "definitely." Majority of our review numbers are probably not high enough to get those future opened spots.

16. medicalone

Pre-Medical
    Yes, in following this thread for two years I have never seen anyone post that he or she was rejected post II, which does happen A LOT in threads for other schools, such as UNC for example. Additionally, I have personally known ~18 people who have interviewed in the past two cycles and not one was rejected post interview. Again, I could be wrong, but I really feel like the people who get rejected post interview did HORRIBLY at probably all of the MMI stations and demonstrated a severe lack of people skills.

17. Throwaway21234567

A guy on reddit got rejected post-II from VCU a few years ago. It is possible, even if rare.

18. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

People got rejected on here last year too lol

Talldoctor96 likes this.
  19. Talldoctor96

Actuallt soemone did on this year’s thread too, post 1194 on page 25. So it definitely happens.

20. beeboops

2+ Year Member

I also tacked on a sentence of intent to the end of an update letter. It's my understanding that VCU welcomes updates, so I think it's definitely appropriate to send them an update letter at the very least.

No idea how effective LOIs are. The general consensus on SDN seems to be that they're useless, especially if you don't have an acceptance at a higher ranked school to use as leverage. But if you've got strong connections to the school and know without a doubt that you would attend, I say go for it. SDN is useful for a lot of things, but there's a lot of black/white thinking when it comes to admissions stuff.

Undercovernerd likes this.
  21. Kiwi95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Mine has been on that since July. I am absolutely convinced that it's a rejection and there will be some massive R wave at the end of the cycle or we'll never hear back lol

22. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

I’m betting mid Feb/March

23. Throwaway21234567

That scares me =o

24. aqifjak

how often are you all updating VCU

25. whitetopaz

Pre-Medical
    Got an interview invite via phone, but my portal hasn't changed. Seems kinda sketchy...?

26. MomJeansandDadJorts

Are you IS? I thought I heard they do that

aqifjak likes this.
  27. whitetopaz

Pre-Medical
    Nope, OOS. But I'm from a surrounding state, if that makes a difference.

28. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not to sound redundant, but have we confirmed whether the next offer date is Feb 1 or Feb 16?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

29. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also did you guys get any confirmation by Dr. MWC if you sent in an update via email?

aqifjak likes this.
  30. resignedpremed

Is the
    "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "
    considered a soft rejection? I have had it since August...

31. Msimas

I did!

Undercovernerd likes this.
  32. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn’t :( should I ask for confirmation or am I being annoying ?

33. Msimas

Agh I’m not sure. Typically you’ll get a notification of an email doesn’t go through though... maybe she was out of the office?

34. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Hey I tried to PM you, but wasn't able to!

35. aqifjak

Are you guys sending updates to MWC

Msimas likes this.
  36. Msimas

I did

37. thelonelyant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yep.

38. whitetopaz

Pre-Medical
    I had that message since October up until last night, when it turned into an interview invite, so don't lose hope!

Also, if it's any consolation to everyone still waiting for an II, there were plenty of dates to pick from when I was scheduling mine! Dates ranged from late January to late February.

39. beeboops

2+ Year Member

Did anyone receive a GRTC card in the mail from VCU? They apparently sent one to my home address, and I am incredibly confused as I never asked for one.

If this is VCU's weird way of telling me they love me, that would be fine.

40. thejasminedragon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    VCU sends them to all students as part of the GRTC pilot program - free fare on all routes

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

41. LegendaryPunk

LegendaryPunk Get Addicted
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good to know! I've had that status for a few months as well and have been getting anxious. Actually sent them an email just the other day to verify they had everything the need and to make sure I hadn't missed any notifications from them.

42. girlwithwings

Congrats on the II, that’s awesome! :) If you’re okay with sharing, IS/OOS and LizzyM?

43. whitetopaz

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! LM 69-70. OOS. Submitted secondary in mid-September.

44. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! When did you schedule for?