2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted yesterday!!!! Does anyone know when orientation will start?
Dr. Whitehurst-Cook told me the first day will be July 29th, and that a website with orientation info will come out sometime in March.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone! As far as reserving our spot from the acceptance offer, all we need to do is fill out that matriculation form and pay the enrollment fee? Is there anything else that needs to be done? Or are we just waiting for further notice now? Thanks!

Congrats to everyone! As far as reserving our spot from the acceptance offer, all we need to do is fill out that matriculation form and pay the enrollment fee? Is there anything else that needs to be done? Or are we just waiting for further notice now? Thanks!
Correct. You will be emailed an IS tuition eligibility form within a few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone remind what the protocol is for letters of update post MMI? I can't remember because it was so long ago

Can anyone remind what the protocol is for letters of update post MMI? I can't remember because it was so long ago
If I remember correctly, they said you can send a short update (a few sentences) in the body of the email, but they mentioned to send it before the following Monday because they would be meeting and would be reviewing the apps, so you'd want to have it in before then. But if you think they already reviewed your app, maybe just call and see if you can send it along anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone remember what was said about LOI after the MMI? I am wracking my brain and looking at my notes but can't remember it.

Does anyone remember what was said about LOI after the MMI? I am wracking my brain and looking at my notes but can't remember it.
I think they were ambivanlent about LOIs as a stand alone thing, but they did say to send updates if you have something noteworthy. Maybe combine the two? However, anything you send will be "written in pencil" on your file, but it will not change the rank they've already assigned you. Hope this helps.

Accepted last Friday!!!

Forgot to post. Very excited :)

Is there any first or second year students I can PM to learn more about the school?

Accepted last Friday!!!

Is there any first or second year students I can PM to learn more about the school?

There were a couple earlier and in last years thread who have been incredibly helpful. I would definitely recommend asking them any questions you have.

Accepted last Friday!!!

There is also a facebook page for accepted students that you can join. Just search VCU (MCV) School of Medicine Class of 2023. It'll have (Official) in the group title. You just have to send a screenshot of your acceptance letter to one of the admins and they'll add you to the group!

Does anyone know when the portal usually updates saying that we're either rejected or put "on hold for possible acceptance"? Is it always the Wednesday following our interview date?

For those of you still waiting for an II, there’s probably still hope for you all. A lot of us interviewees got an email saying that a bunch of people cancelled their II recently

Reactions: 8 users
For those of you still waiting for an II, there’s probably still hope for you all. A lot of us interviewees got an email saying that a bunch of people cancelled their II recently
Thank you for the good news. But my doubts still persist as my portal still notes the subcommittee is reviewing my application.

Thank you for the good news. But my doubts still persist as my portal still notes the subcommittee is reviewing my application.
If it makes you feel any better, I submitted my app in July and only changed from that status in mid January. A few days later I got an II

Reactions: 2 users

If it makes you feel any better, I submitted my app in July and only changed from that status in mid January. A few days later I got an II

Yea same for me, except I submitted in August.

Placed on hold for possible acceptance! YAY!!!:banana:

Mine says the same. Sometimes feels like I’m part of the elite group that was complete in July and still hasn’t heard anything back lol

Reactions: 2 users
Also received the "on hold for possible acceptance" message.
For fellow/future neurotic friends, my update came at 6:04PM the Thursday after my file was reviewed by the committee, so the common belief that portals always update on Wednesday isn't necessarily true.

Placed on hold for possible acceptance! YAY!!!:banana:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but don't most people get this message after their interview (unless rejected)?
I got this status update about a week after my interview.
*crosses fingers* hopefully it becomes an A on March 16th

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but don't most people get this message after their interview (unless rejected)?
I got this status update about a week after my interview.
*crosses fingers* hopefully it becomes an A on March 16th

Ouch, kinda raining on our parade here lol. But in answer to your question, yes, most people evidently receive this message after interviewing. Being placed on hold for possible acceptance is VCU's version of saying, "Congrats on passing committee review!" The whole application cycle is grueling, so we'll take any small victory or indication of passing another hurdle that we can get.

ETA: I think the next round of decisions comes out March 1.

Why does the portal say March 16th? When they talked about March 1st on interview day?

My portal says "your file review is now complete." (have not interviewed). Should I expect an R at this point?

Why does the portal say March 16th? When they talked about March 1st on interview day?

It's the dates from last year or it's just wrong, I can't remember. Dean Mission said on here that it would be March 1st instead of the 16th.

The portal should no longer say March 16th; it should now reflect the correct date of March 1 as the last day of offers.

The portal should no longer say March 16th; it should now reflect the correct date of March 1 as the last day of offers.

I have an interview scheduled for March 5th (the earliest I was offered due to a technical difficulty with the website). Does this mean that at best I would be put on the waitlist?

My portal says "your file review is now complete." (have not interviewed). Should I expect an R at this point?

My portal said the same thing for a few days before it was updated and I received my interview! Best of luck to you! :)

I have an interview scheduled for March 5th (the earliest I was offered due to a technical difficulty with the website). Does this mean that at best I would be put on the waitlist?

I would guess? There are only 4 offer dates, oct 16, dec 16, feb 1, and mar 1.

Anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony/Orientation is scheduled? I can't seem to navigate the new website properly.

Anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony/Orientation is scheduled? I can't seem to navigate the new website properly.

The new website has so many broken links. I hope they fix that soon. Anyways, I've heard that orientation is 07/29, and I think the white coat ceremony is that Friday?

The new website has so many broken links. I hope they fix that soon. Anyways, I've heard that orientation is 07/29, and I think the white coat ceremony is that Friday?

Yeah it's really aggravating that anytime I click on a link it gives me a 404 error.

I have an interview scheduled on Feb 26th. Given the last offer date is March 1st, does anyone know (@Dean Mission ) that if VCU will have enough time to discuss my application or am I interviewing pretty much for wait list.

I have an interview scheduled on Feb 26th. Given the last offer date is March 1st, does anyone know (@Dean Mission ) that if VCU will have enough time to discuss my application or am I interviewing pretty much for wait list.

Pretty sure that VCU doesn’t “interview for the waitlist” because on their website they mention multiple times that it doesn’t really matter when you interview because they have 4? separate acceptance rounds just for that reason. With each round having the same number of acceptances, there is a decent chance you can come away with an acceptance on March 1st.

Also, it’s not like your interviewing the day before the acceptance round. I’m sure that they set interview days with that final acceptance round in mind. Good luck!