2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty sure that VCU doesn’t “interview for the waitlist” because on their website they mention multiple times that it doesn’t really matter when you interview because they have 4? separate acceptance rounds just for that reason. With each round having the same number of acceptances, there is a decent chance you can come away with an acceptance on March 1st.

Also, it’s not like your interviewing the day before the acceptance round. I’m sure that they set interview days with that final acceptance round in mind. Good luck!
Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know they policy on LOIs post interview? I know they only want substantial updates sent via email, but not sure where they stand on letters. Thanks!

Does anyone know they policy on LOIs post interview? I know they only want substantial updates sent via email, but not sure where they stand on letters. Thanks!
I asked about LOIs during the 11/25 interview, and they essentially said that your active application/interview appearance is indicative of intent to attend (essentially LOIs are superfluous because your intent is implicit).

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked about LOIs during the 11/25 interview, and they essentially said that your active application/interview appearance is indicative of intent to attend (essentially LOIs are superfluous because your intent is implicit).
Thanks so much!

Okay, just to clarify, we should NOT write Letters of Intent?
You’re apparently supposed to just “reaffirm your interest” cause intent letters are worthless. At least that’s what they told us on interview day. You may have better luck sending one around April/May if you end up on the waitlist

Hello, I am an OOS student that has been accepted to VCU and was wondering if any current students would be able to give a description of second look events or the sorts of things that take place. I'm trying to make a decision about the cost of traveling.

Does anyone know if they take updates? My status still says "the subcommittee will now do a review of your application," and I submitted early August.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if they take updates? My status still says "the subcommittee will now do a review of your application," and I submitted early August.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure VCU only accepts updates after interviewing so you just have to hang tight for now!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody know if there is any hope for more II to come?

Has anyone received further communication from VCU after being accepted? I paid my matriculation fee, and did my residency status form but it still looks like I am missing all the VCU ID information and transcript stuff. Also having trouble finding anything on their website because almost every page goes to a 404 error.

Has anyone received further communication from VCU after being accepted? I paid my matriculation fee, and did my residency status form but it still looks like I am missing all the VCU ID information and transcript stuff. Also having trouble finding anything on their website because almost every page goes to a 404 error.
+1 Same boat right now

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, just to clarify, we should NOT write Letters of Intent?

I just called to confirm and this is what they told me: VCU does not accept letters of interest or letters of intent. They also do not provide feedback or counseling if you were placed on the waitlist. They do however accept significant updates that you have been involved in for more than three months.

I hope this clarifies the confusion for anyone that was unsure. However, I wish we could provide a LOI because I have so much to say about why I'd like to go here :shrug:

My Banner ID populated a few weeks after I paid the matriculation fee. The transcripts are just missing a date received because I think they require them after a degree has been completed (in my case it hasn't). Other than that I too haven't received any real communication from them since I got accepted in October.

Reactions: 1 users
I got information about a prematriculation program recently with a google forms survey asking us a whether we would participate or not. Other than that, nope nothing else!

just withdrew my II for 2/27. hoping it goes to one of you hard working and deserving folks! remember that no one - not even your dream med school - can tell you what your worth it. good luck to you all, peacin out of this forum :)

Reactions: 9 users
Was called with a very last minute II for tomorrow morning!! Very surprised but grateful considering I have only gone to one other interview with no news yet so any and all good vibes are appreciated :) Goes to show its not over till its over so don't give up hope!

Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know if VCU has a second look weekend?

Got an email just now saying to log into my portal for an application status update. I logged into the portal and all it says is "your file review is now complete".

Have not received an interview yet.

Got an email just now saying to log into my portal for an application status update. I logged into the portal and all it says is "your file review is now complete".

Have not received an interview yet.

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Was called with a very last minute II for tomorrow morning!! Very surprised but grateful considering I have only gone to one other interview with no news yet so any and all good vibes are appreciated :) Goes to show its not over till its over so don't give up hope!

CONGRATS! And goodluck today! Would you mind sharing stats? And IS?

Can someone who has interview comment on how their day actually works. Is the first question asked by one interviewer out of nine? Or is it asked by all nine interviewers?

Can someone who has interview comment on how their day actually works. Is the first question asked by one interviewer out of nine? Or is it asked by all nine interviewers?

For the interview, everyone gets asked the same questions. The first question is more along the lines of a traditional interview, and lasts 14 minutes. The following questions are MMI-style and last 7 minutes each. The timing/process is as followed: a bell rings, you get 2 minutes to read the prompt, another bell rings, you get 7 minutes to answer the question, a final bell rings to signal your time. Then you rotate, and rinse and repeat.

In terms of the actual interview day, you meet Dr. Whitehurst-Cook as a group first, then do the interview, then have a post-interview follow-up and student panel, then have lunch, followed by a tour of the school/hospital, and then you're free to go.

the first question is only asked by one interviewer (the first one)

Does anyone know if VCU has financial aid forms due, besides FAFSA?

Portal just updated to complete after submitting secondary in July, it said that I shouldn’t request special dates? Does this mean I’m getting an II?

Portal just updated to complete after submitting secondary in July, it said that I shouldn’t request special dates? Does this mean I’m getting an II?

Unfortunately, almost all people get that update after being reviewed. It's more of a hold, but it might turn into an interview invite so don't lose all hope! Not over until it's over!

Unfortunately, almost all people get that update after being reviewed. It's more of a hold, but it might turn into an interview invite so don't lose all hope! Not over until it's over!

I thought so haha thank you I think they’re wrapping up interview season

@Dean Mission Would it be acceptable to send post interview updates that include a new research experience that lasted longer than 3 months? During the interview we were told only new community service or clinical experience would be accepted.

Accepted students - have you set in your transcripts yet? I wasnt sure on how to proceed with that since not many instructions were given?

Hey you should send it directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook!
This reads like sarcasm, but I sent her a direct letter of intent back in october (post-interview) and had a pleasant email back-n-forth. Again, if it wasn't sarcasm...I was just reading it like it was sarcasm.

Accepted students - have you set in your transcripts yet? I wasnt sure on how to proceed with that since not many instructions were given?

I haven't sent any transcripts in yet. I'm assuming they'll send more instructions for accepted students after the March 1st acceptance date... hopefully.

This reads like sarcasm, but I sent her a direct letter of intent back in october (post-interview) and had a pleasant email back-n-forth. Again, if it wasn't sarcasm...I was just reading it like it was sarcasm.

Oh sorry if it came off as sarcasm! I was just conveying the info from my interview where they said to send update letters to her email lol