2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Whitehurst-Cook said you can have them electronically sent to Gail Steel ([email protected])

Did she say that at your interview? Just curious since they already have our transcript from AMCAS. Any ideas why we need to send it again?

Members don't see this ad.

Did she say that at your interview? Just curious since they already have our transcript from AMCAS. Any ideas why we need to send it again?

I think schools don't get the actual copies of the transcripts. The ones we send to AMCAS are just used to verify the coursework that we entered and aren't transmitted to the schools. It's obnoxious, but I think most schools do require matriculants' transcripts for their files.

Reactions: 1 user
No, I emailed her about it recently and that's what she told me.
I think @beeboops is correct in that the school itself doesn't get your transcripts from AMCAS, so official copies need to be sent to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the Inova campus work? Do students get a choice on rotating here or are some students forced to going to it?

Oh sorry if it came off as sarcasm! I was just conveying the info from my interview where they said to send update letters to her email lol
I was a little spooked that if it was sarcasm, I made a huge faux pas and I was just being placated by VCU haha

Is there a social the night before the interview? And about how many people interview each day? (Plus some tips would be awesome)

@Dean Mission super excited to interview here next week. Will those of us interviewing this week and next week still be under consideration for the March 16th date?

Is there a social the night before the interview? And about how many people interview each day? (Plus some tips would be awesome)
no social the night before, I had 15 at my interview day but i think they can have up to 18. My advice would be to just relax as much as possible and be concise in your answers (leave time for follow up questions). VCU was my most laid back MMI and I was very pleased with how they decided to run it

@Dean Mission super excited to interview here next week. Will those of us interviewing this week and next week still be under consideration for the March 16th date?

Unfortunately, there is no March 16th date anymore. The last date admissions offers are being made prior to waitlist movement is this Friday. The March 16th date was the original plan until the new AMCAS traffic rules came about so they moved everything up and made the last admissions day March 1st. Not sure what they are going to do about interviews that take place this week though.

Unfortunately, there is no March 16th date anymore. The last date admissions offers are being made prior to waitlist movement is this Friday. The March 16th date was the original plan until the new AMCAS traffic rules came about so they moved everything up and made the last admissions day March 1st.
Hmmm they had 2 interview dates available next week when I called to schedule.

Edit: I wonder if that means Ill be interviewing for the WL if its after the last decision date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm they had 2 interview dates available next week when I called to schedule.

Edit: I wonder if that means Ill be interviewing for the WL if its after the last decision date.
Can I ask you what the available dates were for next week? I may be interviewing then too!

Do you know if we will be interviewing for the WL?
I interviewed this week and they seemed confused that March 1st was this Friday... We were told our applications would be reviewed by the committee next Monday, then a decision would be released March 1st. When we said March 1st was this Friday, they backtracked and said to expect a decision a few days after next Monday. So hopefully there will be some acceptances from this week and next week's interviews!

I think schools don't get the actual copies of the transcripts. The ones we send to AMCAS are just used to verify the coursework that we entered and aren't transmitted to the schools. It's obnoxious, but I think most schools do require matriculants' transcripts for their files.

Do you know if they want a post-graduation transcript or are they fine with one that is missing the last semesters grades?

Still on the:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

Kinda baffled that still on this status this late in the game

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you know if they want a post-graduation transcript or are they fine with one that is missing the last semesters grades?
It's safe to assume that they'll eventually need all of your official grades/transcripts, so you probably want to wait until the semester is over.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I just can't recall all the details from the interview day! If our account now has the "The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date" message, does this mean that we will likely receive either a waitlist or acceptance tomorrow (March 1st)? I know they discussed how we're evaluated in the committee review, but I can't remember if they said that rejected applicants would be notified immediately thereafter or would also hear back on March 1st. Thanks so much in advance!

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I just can't recall all the details from the interview day! If our account now has the "The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date" message, does this mean that we will likely receive either a waitlist or acceptance tomorrow (March 1st)? I know they discussed how we're evaluated in the committee review, but I can't remember if they said that rejected applicants would be notified immediately thereafter or would also hear back on March 1st. Thanks so much in advance!

If you're accepted, you'll be notified March 1st. If you're waitlisted or rejected, you'll be notified sometime later.

When did you interview if I may ask? I interviewed in February but still have the "interview is now complete" status that I got the day after my interview.

For updates post interview I know they said to be brief. How brief does that mean? Like one sentence per activity or a few sentences?

Is this school done with sending IIs? Has anyone gotten one recently? Not sure if no response = silent rejection, but it'd be great to know!

Is this school done with sending IIs? Has anyone gotten one recently? Not sure if no response = silent rejection, but it'd be great to know!

I'm pretty sure they're done unless someone withdraws from an II slot. There are only like 2-3 more interview days I believe.

When did you interview if I may ask? I interviewed in February but still have the "interview is now complete" status that I got the day after my interview.

I interviewed on January 31st (a Thursday) and received that message on my portal the following Tuesday!

Here's what's gonna happen...

I'm gonna spend the next few hours telling myself that there's really no chance of me getting any response today because of xyz blah blah blah. I will tell myself, "You've been waiting for like 5 months to hear anything back, but you haven't heard a peep and, frankly, there were probably just as many good interviewed candidates this time as there were every other time. You're gonna stay on the waitlist, and you're gonna like it!"

Here's the fun part.

Around 3:00PM EST, I'll do something stupid like google for the 1000th time "Cool **** to do in Richmond VA" or "Richmond apartments", and THEN I'll say to myself, "Dude...dude......what if...?"

So then I get on SDN and someone has surely said something along the lines of "Hey you guys, I heard (enter some neurotic false-hope bull****) from Dean Mission when I emailed the school and also TaakoFromTV you're such a good candidate and don't sweat it bud and you're gonna get in and JUST KEEP HITTING F5!!!!!"

Then my whole day's over.

EDIT:
I forgot that SDN doesn't like naughty cuss words.

Reactions: 8 users
As the time gets closer, I start to hear colors

Here's what's gonna happen...

I'm gonna spend the next few hours telling myself that there's really no chance of me getting any response today because of xyz blah blah blah. I will tell myself, "You've been waiting for like 5 months to hear anything back, but you haven't heard a peep and, frankly, there were probably just as many good interviewed candidates this time as there were every other time. You're gonna stay on the waitlist, and you're gonna like it!"

Here's the fun part.

Around 3:00PM EST, I'll do something stupid like google for the 1000th time "Cool **** to do in Richmond VA" or "Richmond apartments", and THEN I'll say to myself, "Dude...dude......what if...?"

So then I get on SDN and someone has surely said something along the lines of "Hey you guys, I heard (enter some neurotic false-hope bull****) from Dean Mission when I emailed the school and also TaakoFromTV you're such a good candidate and don't sweat it bud and you're gonna get in and JUST KEEP HITTING F5!!!!!"

Then my whole day's over.

EDIT:
I forgot that SDN doesn't like naughty cuss words.
Ahh I feel your pain

But I am also glad to see I am not the only one that goes online apartment hunting in cities I interviewed in haha

Reactions: 2 users
Ahh I feel your pain

But I am also glad to see I am not the only one that goes online apartment hunting in cities I interviewed in haha

I knew I couldn't be the only one scoping out that row of loft places just on the other side of the interstate.

I knew I couldn't be the only one scoping out that row of loft places just on the other side of the interstate.
I loved Richmond when I went down there. Also, I had dinner with a friend who is a 4th year, and he was saying that some of the rents seem a bit higher, but that's because they are all inclusive, all your bills, utilities, cable etc, so in the end it's about the same price and more convenient.

Good luck to all today! May all our apartment shopping be wonderful and worth it!

Reactions: 2 users
I loved Richmond when I went down there. Also, I had dinner with a friend who is a 4th year, and he was saying that some of the rents seem a bit higher, but that's because they are all inclusive, all your bills, utilities, cable etc, so in the end it's about the same price and more convenient.

Can confirm. The apartment I lived in down the hill from the school included all utilities, including basic internet (I ended up paying for a faster plan, which was ~$40/month) and a trash concierge service where you could place your trash outside your apartment door, and someone would come pick it up for you. We also had a washer/dryer in unit, dishwasher, decently well-equipped gym, rooftop pool, and patio with a grill. I think I paid ~$1200/month for a 525 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath, which seemed a lot at the time, but upon further reflection (and living in a much more expensive city), it was actually a sweet deal.

Just a little something to look forward to ;)

no news for anyone yet? Also, is it email or phone call?

no news for anyone yet? Also, is it email or phone call?

It's an email just stating that your status has changed, and you have to log into the portal to actually see the acceptance message. In the past, people have been able to see the acceptance message and/or presence of new tabs (VCU eID, VCU email, in-state eligibility) before the official status change email goes out around 6pm-ish. However, my portal didn't change at all until like, 6:15pm when I was accepted.

So we all in agreement: we looking for tabs starting around 6pm EST?

Honestly, I forgot February was a short month. I'm not ready to cope with being passed over again. :dead:

Honestly, I forgot February was a short month. I'm not ready to cope with being passed over again. :dead:
yea this is rough. I finally have a "file review is now complete" status on my portal after I was complete last july.... kinda just waiting for the R to pop up. But it is what it is! Applying to medical school isn't supposed to be an easy process after all, time to look at our apps and make more improvements for the next cycle. Best of luck!

Can confirm. The apartment I lived in down the hill from the school included all utilities, including basic internet (I ended up paying for a faster plan, which was ~$40/month) and a trash concierge service where you could place your trash outside your apartment door, and someone would come pick it up for you. We also had a washer/dryer in unit, dishwasher, decently well-equipped gym, rooftop pool, and patio with a grill. I think I paid ~$1200/month for a 525 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath, which seemed a lot at the time, but upon further reflection (and living in a much more expensive city), it was actually a sweet deal.

Just a little something to look forward to ;)

That sounds amazing. I'm sold! Do you happen to remember the name of the apartment complex?