2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Dean Mission Do you anticipate any more IS movement to happen this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Well the class is full, and someone is taken off every time someone withdraws-- so I think its difficult for anyone to anticipate exactly how much movement is left-- especially in this difficult year.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well the class is full, and someone is taken off every time someone withdraws-- so I think its difficult for anyone to anticipate exactly how much movement is left-- especially in this difficult year.

Did they say anything as to how many individuals were on the WL still?

Perhaps there is a typical number/rough estimate of how much more WL movement should happen this cycle. We would love to hear this. Yes, the traffic rules are different this year (they seem to just be guidelines), but maybe WL movement is somewhat similar to previous years for VCU. Who knows

...Take my hand, and we'll make it I swear!...

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone called the admissions office and asked about waitlist movement, whether most students have already CTE'D, etc.? I'm not sure if VCU would disclose this information but EVMS basically told me IS waitlist movement is done and there has been only one acceptance off their IS waitlist in the past few weeks. They did say their CTE deadline is three weeks before their orientation but that they are not sure whether or not there would be a greater influx of movement then. They continued to tell me there probably wouldn't be, unless the other state schools had their own movement.

I also called Marshall to ask about their OOS waitlist and the staff there was extremely helpful, letting me know almost all of their OOS students were already specifically CTE'D.

I'm a little scared to call VCU because it's truly my top choice and I don't want to bother them.

In all, it seems like this year the most likely outcome with admissions across the country is the worst one we predicted for the students: most students who were lucky enough to get an acceptance were only accepted to one school and waitlisted at others, and as CTE deadlines approach, they end up having to commit to schools that are not their top choice while they do not get off their waitlists at their higher choices. Overall, less movement, more students going to schools that aren't their top choice.

• Sad
Has anyone called the admissions office and asked about waitlist movement, whether most students have already CTE'D, etc.? I'm not sure if VCU would disclose this information but EVMS basically told me IS waitlist movement is done and there has been only one acceptance off their IS waitlist in the past few weeks. They did say their CTE deadline is three weeks before their orientation but that they are not sure whether or not there would be a greater influx of movement then. They continued to tell me there probably wouldn't be, unless the other state schools had their own movement.

I also called Marshall to ask about their OOS waitlist and the staff there was extremely helpful, letting me know almost all of their OOS students were already specifically CTE'D.

I'm a little scared to call VCU because it's truly my top choice and I don't want to bother them.

In all, it seems like this year the most likely outcome with admissions across the country is the worst one we predicted for the students: most students who were lucky enough to get an acceptance were only accepted to one school and waitlisted at others, and as CTE deadlines approach, they end up having to commit to schools that are not their top choice while they do not get off their waitlists at their higher choices. Overall, less movement, more students going to schools that aren't their top choice.
I would call but I am also way too nervous about their response

I haven't called, but I haven't given up hope yet either. I peruse the waitlist support thread frequently and there still seems to be movement periodically across the country. I'm sure each school is marginally different, but I'm holding out hope for VCU. Keep your chin up as best you can and best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I called them and spoke with admissions and one of the Deans in charge. Not much IS waitlist movement so far and they seem pretty surprised themselves. They said they have no idea how it's going to be like this year...they think everyone is just waiting until the deadline to drop any seats, if that will even happen. Tbh, what they said and what evms told me were similar :( vcu is my top choice too so this is disheartening to hear.

Was it Dr. Whitehurst-Cook or Dr. Baker whom you spoke to, if not, I feel like it could have been a generic answer thats given to all applicants that call in inquiring just to cover some safe ground. After calling a quite a few schools, I found most of them gave this same "generic" response and didn't reveal much info about what the future holds.

I was told by someone who spoke to WHC that ~ 1/3 of the class has not CTE'd

Last edited:
I called them and spoke with admissions and one of the Deans in charge. Not much IS waitlist movement so far and they seem pretty surprised themselves. They said they have no idea how it's going to be like this year...they think everyone is just waiting until the deadline to drop any seats, if that will even happen. Tbh, what they said and what evms told me were similar :( vcu is my top choice too so this is disheartening to hear.
Thank you very much for calling!

Did they mention anything rlse about the OOS waitlist (you may have not asked about this, so maybe not)

Yes, it was one of them. However, I couldn't get any info on how many have CTE'd etc. But apparently, the IS and OOS waitlists combined have about 250-300 people on it according to one of the admissions representatives.
If I’m not mistaken this was how big the list is when it is made in March? Not now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called to see if I could get any updates and the admissions staff said "there is still movement". They could not differentiate between OOS and IS. Seemed like a generic answer

I called to see if I could get any updates and the admissions staff said "there is still movement". They could not differentiate between OOS and IS. Seemed like a generic answer

Well, at least it wasn’t a “sorry, all hope is lost.”

Reactions: 1 user
12 months ago I was filling out the secondary here...I love how med school cycles overlap! lol

Reactions: 4 users
12 months ago I was filling out the secondary here...I love how med school cycles overlap! lol
24 months ago I was filling out the secondary lol. Still waiting on the waitlist but I think our odds are slim at this point

• Sad
Does anyone know what VCU's plans are for someone that has CTE'd elsewhere? Do they plan on leaving them on the WL or are they automatically removed? I know this year it's up to the discretion of the school.

Just wanted to share on here that I was accepted to VCU on the 13th of June. IS. I interviewed in December.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Congrats to you! would you please share stats, over-under represented status etc. ...trying to make sense of all this ....maybe that is my mistake!
Hope you have a great 4 years!

• Haha
Just wanted to share on here that I was accepted to VCU on the 13th of June. IS. I interviewed in December.

Thank you so much for sharing! So happy to see waitlist movement. Many congrats to you, you earned this!

Congrats to you! would you please share stats, over-under represented status etc. ...trying to make sense of all this ....maybe that is my mistake!
Hope you have a great 4 years!

3.74 GPA 507 MCAT. I actually retook my MCAT for EVMS and I get the new score next week, not that it matters now. ORS Female. I will say I have a lot of really unique experiences that I think helped my chances. If anyone would want to know more about that I can discuss it more. Honestly, even being accepted it still doesn't make sense to me.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats :) how did you find out phone call or portal?
Through the portal! I know what it is like to be stalking SDN and to be worried. I wanted to show people IS waitlist movement is happening! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to message me. I will do my best to help in anyway.

I had an IS friend accepted 2 weeks ago. I believe they turned it down. Don’t know their stats

Does anyone know when the last most possible date is for when VCU will accept students? some have said roll call and others have said till right before white coat.

Could VCU be skipping over WL ppl who already got in elsewhere at this point? I want to go to VCU, but I also have another acceptance. When I talked to them, they said my low MCAT score (509) is the major reason why I'm WL'ed. However, clearly people with lower MCATs are getting in...I feel discriminated against because of my other acceptance, even tho I heavily prefer VCU :(

Could VCU be skipping over WL ppl who already got in elsewhere at this point? I want to go to VCU, but I also have another acceptance. When I talked to them, they said my low MCAT score (509) is the major reason why I'm WL'ed. However, clearly people with lower MCATs are getting in...I feel discriminated against because of my other acceptance, even tho I heavily prefer VCU :(
They give feedback while you're on the WL?! They told me I couldn't get any until the cycle was over??

Also, I doubt your other acceptance matters. Schools are blind (for the first year this year) to the other school(s) you're accepted to.

Have you CTE'd at the accepted school? Or was it a recent acceptance?

They give feedback while you're on the WL?! They told me I couldn't get any until the cycle was over??

Also, I doubt your other acceptance matters. Schools are blind (for the first year this year) to the other school(s) you're accepted to.

So mine might have been a special case since I had a meeting with them anyway for another reason. But yeah, usually they don't give feedback until after the cycle like the other schools.

And also, they are not blind to acceptances :( I mean, they can't tell where you got in, but they can tell if you PTE elsewhere (which then informs them you got in someplace).

Have you CTE'd at the accepted school? Or was it a recent acceptance?

I didn't CTE anywhere. I only selected plan to enroll at the accepted school because it was a requirement by them. VCU is my top choice and I've been following up with them to let them know that. I'm curious if it could be the acceptance I'm holding which is working against me when it comes to getting off of VCU's WL. I don't think my MCAT can be the only reason like they told me, since the above poster got in with a 507. I also have good experiences.

I didn't CTE anywhere. I only selected plan to enroll at the accepted school because it was a requirement by them. VCU is my top choice and I've been following up with them to let them know that. I'm curious if it could be the acceptance I'm holding which is working against me when it comes to getting off of VCU's WL. I don't think my MCAT can be the only reason like they told me, since the above poster got in with a 507. I also have good experiences.

You could try contacting VCU around your school's CTE deadline (if there is one) and reinforcing your interest as kind of a last hail mary attempt.

I personally think at this point VCU is not looking heavily into numbers (MCAT / GPA). They probably are trying to match the demographics of the students that declined their acceptance (OOS vs. IS, Sex, Race). I don't think the IS WL is moving quite as fast as the OOS WL.

When you see waitlist movement at so many other schools but not yours...

Had a friend get off IS waitlist yesterday. He will be accepting

Reactions: 6 users
I’m IS and in two days, I’m moving to another state for a DO program. I guess this is it :(

I’m IS and in two days, I’m moving to another state for a DO program. I guess this is it :(
Don't give up hope! Have you tried writing to the school about this and expressing your interest?

Me too.

Yes a while ago but no way it does anything depending on your race and sex I think that is all that matters.

Did your friends who were accepted recently have acceptances from other schools too?
The first one who accepted 2-3 weeks ago had 2 other acceptances. To EVMS and GW. VCU was their 3rd

The one who received it yesterday - this was their first acceptance. WL on 2 schools and was planning on reapplying. MCAT 509 and GPA in the 3.7 range

Additionally both my friends were ORM and different genders if that helps anyone

Last edited:
The first one who accepted 2-3 weeks ago had 2 other acceptances. To EVMS and GW. VCU was their 3rd

The one who received it yesterday - this was their first acceptance. WL on 2 schools and was planning on reapplying. MCAT 509 and GPA in the 3.7 range

Additionally both my friends were ORM and different genders if that helps anyone
Before their VCU acceptances, were they sending letters of interest to the school? Or any other communication

Before their VCU acceptances, were they sending letters of interest to the school? Or any other communication
Don’t know about the first person but the recent friend sent an LOI a few months ago. Had a recent convo with WHC about how to improve their app for next cycle

Don’t know about the first person but the recent friend sent an LOI a few months ago. Had a recent convo with WHC about how to improve their app for next cycle
I was told that feedback appts weren't allowed until waitlist season was over. Oof

I was told that feedback appts weren't allowed until waitlist season was over. Oof
Yeah I don’t know how they were able to do it but I had at least 3 friends who spoke with WHC on how to improve their app. They also initially got the “wait til waitlist season is over” response

I know one of those people is still on the waitlist so I don’t think the conversation improves your chances to get off the WL

A week til VCU's CTE date. Fingers crossed for everyone still on the waitlist

Reactions: 6 users
Positive vibez only these next two weeks!
Are we crossing our fingers because after this date happens wait-list movement is over, or because on that date that is when waitlist movement may happen?

Are we crossing our fingers because after this date happens wait-list movement is over, or because on that date that is when waitlist movement may happen?
Most of the remaining movement should likely happen near the CTE deadline. More could happen later (just not as much, likely).

Scary to see that this time last year the VCU thread was pretty much dead, but I have hope that we have still yet to see significant movement.

True basically just cross everything at this point lol