2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that 2 years ago, 3 people were called the day before classes started. A full ride goes to the very last person accepted to the school.

Saw these questions earlier @Snapplejacks :
Amazing response. Could you answer a few more questions?

1.) Do you do rotations with other health professions students (PA, NP, etc.)?
- no, there really wasn't any overlap with APP students during M3
2.) How many of the required rotations will be done at MCV/Richmond vs outside of Richmond?
- It varies to what you prefer vs dumb luck. I have a family, so that gave me preference to stay within Richmond area. Family med rotation can ship you off to somewhere else in the state. OBGYN can go to riverside. I know there are options for rappahanock too in some rotations. for the most part tho, you are in Richmond
3.) Do you prefer staying in one place for rotations or doing rotations in different communities?
- Richmond is super diverse, so I think it is a great place to train and I wouldn't worry about experiencing "different communities" unless you want to do rural medicine, and there are options in some rotations to ship off to somewhere more remote
4.) Did you feel like you had enough time to do elective rotations / away rotations?
- You get 2 electives that are 2 weeks each during third year. you can also opt for 2 of those weeks to be vacay, and that comes out of your vacay month in 4th year. I am not doing any aways, but I haven't heard of people having scheduling issues. 4th year is amazing.
5.) What did you think about the scut work as an M3 / M4?
- usually, if you put the effort into "scut" work, you get to do cool stuff in return, or you get really great teaching. If you feel like you are getting crushed with scut and nothing in return, say something. M3 builds enough confidence to push back when people try to give you scut in M4. It just takes a while being comfortable and confident in pushing back in a diplomatic way, and that takes time.

Congrats to all those accepted. I know in my class, more than a handful were accepted in Mid-July.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just so you know. I didn't actually apply here, but I have a friend who is M1 here who got off the waitlist in late July last year (like a week before class started). I'd say--hope, but don't expect.
Hi waitlist support thread fam. Lol. Do you have any tips to snag that acceptance? I welcome a PM!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone brave enough to call the adcoms to see how many PTE students ended up not CTEing? I'm sure not

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any other applicants that have been fortunate to be accepted elsewhere and are still waiting on signing their leases at the other school (or maybe those that already signed)? Don't know when I should officially give up hope and move on?

Are there any other applicants that have been fortunate to be accepted elsewhere and are still waiting on signing their leases at the other school (or maybe those that already signed)? Don't know when I should officially give up hope and move on?

You can always move back ;)

Anyone brave enough to call the adcoms to see how many PTE students ended up not CTEing? I'm sure not

Lol I'm going to call them today and ask in the nicest way possible. I don't think they will say, but what do we have to lose? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^So I called and the main person who knows this information is Dr. WHC, the senior associate dean (admissions staff said they don't get access to it). They suggested to email her :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
^So I called and the main person who knows this information is Dr. WHC, the senior associate dean (admissions staff said they don't get access to it). They suggested to email her :shrug:

Thanks for calling! I feel like it may even take up to a week to figure things out and then start accepting students. I think someone posted a while back that at that time only 1/3 of the class had hit CTE, right?

That's disappointing :( I don't have a week left until I have to CTE to my other school.

Don't quote me on that haha, that's just what I seemed to have gathered from looking at other school threads.

I called yesterday, someone (idk who) told me that all 184 students have CTE.

Oh, that's unfortunate :( did they say anything about expecting any movement? Surely, not since they're at their maximum class size now.

If possible, do please let us know if Dr. WHC says anything.

Thanks fam

I called yesterday, someone (idk who) told me that all 184 students have CTE.
Damn, that really sucks but there is some relief in getting closure. Thanks for posting. Also thanks to everyone else who's been posting and supporting each other here, you all really made the process at least a little bit more bearable.

Well 56 pages later I have submitted my re-application to VCU. It has been an honor and a pleasure. You all are amazing people and you are all going to be amazing doctors!! It is unfortunate we probably picked the worst year ever to apply to medical school, but I will catch you all on the FLIP. See yall in the hospital soon. PEACE

Reactions: 2 users
Any waitlisted people I can PM? Not sure if I’m understanding the message correctly and wanted to discuss lol

Any waitlisted people I can PM? Not sure if I’m understanding the message correctly and wanted to discuss lol
Thanks for taking one for the team and emailing her lol. Let us know what your conclusion is when you reach it. Good luck !

I am down to discuss. Hope? Is it there?

Edit: it has been discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn this makes me realize how many people didn't get off the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! So basically, it looks like there is some hope left since not everyone selected CTE. There are still some people (don't know how many) who will either select CTE this week or release their seat...based on that the VCU waitlist will move. However, I was not able to get a clear answer on whether this is for the IS or OOS waitlist :shrug: if anyone can ask her this and receive a more detailed answer, please let us know!

Hey guys! So basically, it looks like there is some hope left since not everyone selected CTE. There are still some people (don't know how many) who will either select CTE this week or release their seat...based on that the VCU waitlist will move. However, I was not able to get a clear answer on whether this is for the IS or OOS waitlist :shrug: if anyone can ask her this and receive a more detailed answer, please let us know!
Thanks again for reaching out to her. If I'm feeling insane enough then I'll ask her on Friday.

My first ever application cycle has changed me. I want to be a doctor even more. It will happen eventually, but sooner is better than later. Show me some love VCU Health :(

I just wanted to say that I wouldn't want to be on WL with any other group. Everyone here is so collaborative and supporting! Even if we all don't end up getting into VCU, I really do wish you all the best of luck in whichever school you end up and hope we become excellent physicians one day.

Reactions: 5 users