2018-2019 Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Brown University Warren Alpert Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see I'm not the only one without a secondary

Reactions: 6 users
Secondary Received!

1.NOTE: Interviews occur on Thursday’s and/or Friday’s beginning in mid-September and finishing in February. Please detail any significant limitations on your availability during this time, such as international travel, work or courses. You may use the text box below to explain your limited availability. (if none, leave blank) (500 characters)

2. Summarize your activities during the 2018-2019 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 characters)

3. How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 characters)

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What should I do if I don't have any relatives who have attended Brown? lol

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody else still not received Brown's secondary? Not worried but just curious.

Hey does anyone else's application file on the Brown portal show LOR's not received? AMCAS is supposed to send those right?

Hey does anyone else's application file on the Brown portal show LOR's not received? AMCAS is supposed to send those right?
Same here. I believe it takes them some time to download the letters and match them with your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth applying here with lower end stats? Since 1/3 of the class comes from Brown undergrad and they get a million and a half applications.

Is it worth applying here with lower end stats? Since 1/3 of the class comes from Brown undergrad and they get a million and a half applications.

I'd say go for it.. wouldn't hurt to try. I tossed mine in the mix ... not necessarily certain I'll get any sort of interview invite but why not?

I'm still waiting on my secondary. Brown doesn't screen right? Even if they do, I should get through the screening easily.

What is going on with Brown this year? They're so slow. Hopefully, they didn't change their secondary.

I got the secondary about a week ago.

i got mine 7/12 and according to MSAR they send to all verified applicants so i'm sure it is coming soon!

What is going on with Brown this year? They're so slow. Hopefully, they didn't change their secondary.

As far as I can tell (received secondary about 10 days ago) Alpert's is the same this year as last year.

Applying with low MCAT? It seems they put more emphasis on other parts of application based on the graphic on their website.

If I was verified 6/30 and still haven't gotten this secondary, at what point should I call the school/inquire about the secondary invite?

I'm going to call on Wednesday if I dont get their secondary before. I don't think August secondary is a good sign considering a lot of school send out IIs then.

I'm going to call on Wednesday if I don't get their secondary before. I don't think August secondary is a good sign considering a lot of school send out IIs then.

Are the secondaries pre-screened? They must be, right? If some people got them and others didn't. (Not trying to be annoying) But I'm pretty sure my stats would pass a pre-screen for the school and I haven't received a secondary either.

Are the secondaries pre-screened? They must be, right? If some people got them and others didn't. (Not trying to be annoying) But I'm pretty sure my stats would pass a pre-screen for the school and I haven't received a secondary either.
they are not pre-screened, just sent in waves

If you're applying to MD-ScM, I notice that the regular MD question about "What are your aspirations for your medical practice?" still appears below the MD-ScM questions, it just does not have the red "Required" written underneath it. Do you think we should still answer this question as well, or just stick to the required ones since that will already give them a lot to read about us?

If you're applying to MD-ScM, I notice that the regular MD question about "What are your aspirations for your medical practice?" still appears below the MD-ScM questions, it just does not have the red "Required" written underneath it. Do you think we should still answer this question as well, or just stick to the required ones since that will already give them a lot to read about us?
I didn’t realize a lot of these were optional. I would go ahead and write it since it can only add to your app

Interesting, I didn't notice that. Those supplemental essays for the ScM are REALLY slowing me down though. I spent a couple days finishing the others and now have a physics exam coming up, so won't be able to get back to the ScM essays for a few days.

hello my name is borat i apply here i wait for interview in great country of U S and A!

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted my secondary! I received the email with the link to the secondary on Tue, Jul 24, at 10:10 AM.

Is it OK to refer to the school as "Alpert" in the secondaries? Or is it necessary to use the full name: "Alpert Medical School" ?

Well that sucks lol
Lol ya. Brown also has a bs/md program which if I’m not wrong is where the 1/3 comes from. They may also have a preference for other ivy people but not completely sure on that one

I'm assuming that it's natural that I have not received a secondary yey? Verified 7/26

I'm assuming that it's natural that I have not received a secondary yey? Verified 7/26

I think you're probably fine. I was verified in June and Brown was one of my latest secondaries to arrive.

Lol ya. Brown also has a bs/md program which if I’m not wrong is where the 1/3 comes from. They may also have a preference for other ivy people but not completely sure on that one

Yeah, I think there's a general misconception about this. They might take some of their own undergrads applying regularly to AMCAS, but their "Brown undergrad bias" is mostly through their BS-MD I believe. Their class profile 2021 breakdown has:

92 AMCAS Standard (64% of class)
42 PLME (29% of class, their BS-MD)
8 Post-Bacc (6% of class)
2 Early Identification Program (1% of class)

Their 92 AMCAS Standard matriculants might have some Ivy-focus, but I don't think they would heavily favor anyone in particular beyond their PLME/BS-MD group which already accounts for putting a lot of Brown undergrads in the program.

Worth applying here with a not so stellar GPA/MCAT (3.6 with a large upward trend and 511 with high science sections)? No ivy school ties or anything.

Decided to apply today! Would love to stay in the New England area

Last edited: