Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If you select "yes," this question appears: Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 char limit)

2. (optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 char limit)

3. (optional) Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity. (3000 char limit)

MSTP:

Briefly describe the area of research you would like to explore in graduate school. (1800 chars)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Washington University-St. Louis School of Medicine

Last edited:

medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
How are people writing answers to the "Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student." question? I can't figure out how to put all the stuff in chronological order since multiple things are happening around the same time

Reactions: kmd007
Jul 5, 2017
How are people writing answers to the "Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student." question? I can't figure out how to put all the stuff in chronological order since multiple things are happening around the same time
I just answered by describing what I'm doing during my gap year.

Jul 5, 2017
Did you just list them or make it all flowy like a real essay
I wrote like a real essay, just because that's what I've been doing for all of my "gap year" secondaries. I don't think it matters too much either way.

May 29, 2018
Just got the email to fill out the secondary, copied+pasted from their portal:

1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? If you select "yes," this question appears: Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 char limit)

2. (optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 char limit)

3. (optional) Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity. (3000 char limit)

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: Beshwaji
Jun 19, 2018
Just got this secondary! How long does it take for them to receive our LORs? (I guess this applies to every other secondary I got too cause none of them have my letters yet)

OP
Lucca

Lucca

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got this secondary! How long does it take for them to receive our LORs? (I guess this applies to every other secondary I got too cause none of them have my letters yet)
If your letters are already in AMCAS it's only a matter of time. Everyone is in the exact same boat so dont worry about it

Apr 29, 2018
How truly optional are the "optional" essays? I don't have anything too compelling for the failure one, so I'm probably leaving that one blank.

I'm thinking about plugging my diversity essay into the "anything you'd like to add" prompt, but they seem to be hinting that they want something to do with race/culture/socioeconomic diversity, which mine has nothing to do with. How are you all going about this?
I'm in the same boat, would love to get opinions on this

Jan 1, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone else see on the portal that secondaries don't open until July 10th? I'm unsure if this means we can't submit until then or they don't start reviewing until then or what.

Reactions: zp-ua
Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
How truly optional are the "optional" essays? I don't have anything too compelling for the failure one, so I'm probably leaving that one blank.

I'm thinking about plugging my diversity essay into the "anything you'd like to add" prompt, but they seem to be hinting that they want something to do with race/culture/socioeconomic diversity, which mine has nothing to do with. How are you all going about this?
I think those are just suggestions. If you have a compelling diversity essay that doesn't fit one of those categories I would still go ahead and put it. Especially if it's something not well described in your primary

Jul 4, 2018
Should I be concerned if I haven't received a secondary yet? I know it's supposed to be automatic? Primary submitted 6/03, verified 6/19.

Jun 2, 2018
Should I be concerned if I haven't received a secondary yet? I know it's supposed to be automatic? Primary submitted 6/03, verified 6/19.
I also have not received a secondary..

Dec 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

I think you should consider writing the failure essay. Is there really nothing in your life at which you have been unsuccessful? You say you don't have anything too compelling, but I bet if you think a bit harder, you'll find something! If you dig a little, that essay could be a great opportunity to show introspection and how you handle setbacks. That essay should be compelling not because of the failure itself - it will be compelling because of what you learned about yourself and how you took steps to improve. Btw, that tip comes from my advisor, who is an adcom at a top 10 med school.

Plus, if you're applying to Duke, you'll have to write that essay anyways (about the same length too)! Well, as long as the prompts stay the same

Dec 13, 2017
are you guys using close to all 3000 characters?

im barely halfway for some of these.

also for the "what did you do after graduating" question i just have a few lines lol

Wahkoon

California Wavy
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

also for the "what did you do after graduating" question i just have a few lines lol
Don’t draw out gap year prompts. For instance, SLU has 10,000 characters for theirs. No. These numbers are by no means a goal.

As for the remaining prompts, don’t feel the need to fill up the limit. Write what you need to; nothing more nothing less. I am planning to submit the challenge and optional with around 1500-2000 characters each.

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

I have 2500 chars for the failure essay and a short 600 chars on my ties to the city and school for the "anything else you would like to share" part. I wouldn't worry much about being under limit. The last thing adcoms want is to read a bunch of bs rambling to fill space. They'll probably appreciate concise responses anyways

May 8, 2018
"(optional) Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity. (3000 char limit)"

For the above prompt, do you all think it's ok if I adapt my challenge essay? The experience was moderately unique and involved a pretty cool activity from my primary that I expand upon. I just didn't know if this qualifies as a "unique experience or obstacle" since they ones they highlight in the prompt deal more with identity and diversity.

BillDugRomans

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Aug 4, 2017
"(optional) Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences and obstacles such as significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, and/or identification with a particular culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity. (3000 char limit)"

For the above prompt, do you all think it's ok if I adapt my challenge essay? The experience was moderately unique and involved a pretty cool activity from my primary that I expand upon. I just didn't know if this qualifies as a "unique experience or obstacle" since they ones they highlight in the prompt deal more with identity and diversity.
It's probably fine, the actual prompt asks for "anything else" and while they do give examples that deal with personal identity it also says "Unique experiences and obstacles" so I'd imagine your prompt would be pretty on the money.

Reactions: zimzamzoop
Jun 19, 2018
MSTP people, for the area of research question are you including potential PhD mentors, or just a general statement of research interests?

OP
Lucca

Lucca

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
MSTP people, for the area of research question are you including potential PhD mentors, or just a general statement of research interests?
I kept it general

May 8, 2018
Went to submit my application and the payment system does not seem to be working. When I click "Proceed to Payment" I just get a blank page of simple text that says an unexpected error occurred. Guess I'm submitting tomorrow morning instead :p

Dec 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just submitted today. If it says that my LORs haven't been received, is that cause for alarm or should I just wait?

OP
Lucca

Lucca

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Just submitted today. If it says that my LORs haven't been received, is that cause for alarm or should I just wait?
Yah can take a couple of days

May 3, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Went to submit my application and the payment system does not seem to be working. When I click "Proceed to Payment" I just get a blank page of simple text that says an unexpected error occurred. Guess I'm submitting tomorrow morning instead :p
same last night. its fixed now tho

Jun 2, 2018
So, the consensus is-don't panic and email admissions if you submitted and your letters are marked as not received?

sherlock_obsessed_m&m

High-Functioning Sociopath
Apr 16, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
For the "anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions" question, would it be too out there to write a response completely unrelated to their suggestions? Would leaving it blank be better?

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
For the "anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions" question, would it be too out there to write a response completely unrelated to their suggestions? Would leaving it blank be better?
I wrote about my connection to st louis (where I grew up). I kept it short though so as not to annoy anyone with a useless 3000 characters