2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to report that I got my financial aid package last night.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Posted this over in the MD students forum, thought I might repost here. This is the official match list, just reorganized in a slightly different way.

Anesthesiology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Indiana University
UWash

Child Neurology
Children’s Hosp-Philadelphia
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
St. Louis Univ

Clinical Pathology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Dermatology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Cook County
Duke
St. Louis Univ
UTSW

EM
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Dartmouth
Harbor-UCLA
OSU
UChicago
UCF-Gainesville

Gen Surg
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
CWRU
Duke
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Mayo Clinic-AZ
MedStar Georgetown
UChicago

IM
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
BWH
BWH
Duke
Duke
Emory
JHU
JHU
Montefiore/Einstein
Northwestern
NYU
Stanford
UCSF
U Maryland
US Air Force
USC
Zucker SOM

IR
Duke

Medicine/Prelim
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
BWH
Cedars-Sinai
SSM St. Marys
SSM St. Marys
St. Lukes
UCLA/Olive View
UCLA/Olive View
U Maryland
West Suburban Med Ctr
Zucker SOM

Med/Psych
U Iowa

Med-Prelim/Neuro
BWH
BWH
Northwestern

Neurosurg
NYP-Columbia
Stanford

Neuro
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
BWH/MGH
BWH/MGH
Northwestern

OB/GYN
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Baylor
Emory
Henry Ford Hospital
UCLA
UCSD
U Michigan
UTSA

Ophtho
BU
Illinois Eye and Ear
Northwestern
UCLA
UCLA
Wills Eye

Ortho
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
HSS
JHU
Rush
UPMC
U Rochester

ENT
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Peds
Children’s Hospital-Boston
Northwestern
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
UCSD
U Michigan
UWash

PM&R
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Plastics
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
MCW
UCLA
UCSF
U Utah

Psych
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
MGH
Stanford
UCLA/VA Greater LA
U Colorado

Child Psych
UTSW

Rad Onc
NYP-Cornell

Rads
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
UCLA

Surgery-Prelim
JHU
Northwestern
San Joaquin Gen Hosp
St. Louis Univ
UWash

Urology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Vascular Surgery
U Rochester

Thank you!
Just as a general question: what is a good way of looking at/evaluating match lists?

I'd say interpreting match lists is a bit tricky, since there are several reasons why students order their rank lists the way they do (which ends up affecting how they match, of course). I personally looked for match lists that showed many students matching to top programs in their field, as well as students choosing to stay at their home institution for residency (which may mean a combination of: their home programs are prestigious, students want to stay, and programs are happy to let them to stay). That being said, coming to WashU doesn't mean you will be geographically restricted when it comes to residency - as you see above, we recently matched several graduates to both coasts (and all around the US!).

Reactions: 1 users
It seems that WashU does not like to reject anyone. How much waitlist movement should we be expecting?

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to report that I got my financial aid package last night.

Do you mind sharing when all of your FA documents were received? Just wondering when I might get my package...

I think they may be processing in the order they received them. I got mine roughly three weeks after I submitted all my documents. For people who have gotten their financial aid, are you happy or not? I would say I was pleasantly surprised at how generous WashU is with financial aid.
i hope that people who didn’t get merit scholarships feel similarly

I think they may be processing in the order they received them. I got mine roughly three weeks after I submitted all my documents. For people who have gotten their financial aid, are you happy or not? I would say I was pleasantly surprised at how generous WashU is with financial aid.
I would agree the aid package is nice but the school is still quite expensive. I won't be attending unless they can come through with a merit scholarship unfortunately =(

fin aid package received and leaves me with double the debt of my other two options sooo @WL people stay positive lol

Does anyone know if they’re receptive to matching scholarship offers? And if they are when is the best time to do it?
I’d emailed a couple of weeks ago and the dean replied and said we could talk about it at second look. Hoping that conversation will yield something because the fin aid package I got this week is nowhere near matching my other scholarships.

It seems that WashU does not like to reject anyone. How much waitlist movement should we be expecting?
There are about 300 people on the accepted FB page. Considering that the class size is going to be 100 this year I'd say minimal. More than 200 accepted students need to withdraw for just one person to come off of the waitlist.

There are about 300 people on the accepted FB page. Considering that the class size is going to be 100 this year I'd say minimal. More than 200 accepted students need to withdraw for just one person to come off of the waitlist.

A good amount of that 300 are current students so it’s hard from that how much waitlist movement there will be.
Im in another Facebook group for a different school and there are easily 50-100 current students in the group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they’re receptive to matching scholarship offers? And if they are when is the best time to do it?
At this point the merit scholarships are all dolled out (dean's words not mine), so any chance of matching will likely by late april/early may when people withdraw. Of course early may will be too late for most people unless you're talking about matching a future offer if coming off the waitlist

Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.

Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.
It would truly help if we could know the actually number of acceptances offered so we know how many acceptances are above 100

Do you guys know if Wahu is receptive to LOIs?

I am not sure how they’re going to be now that they shrunk the class size to 100, but I know that in the past they’ve been very receptive to them!

hi guys, I am new here. for the WL students, I was following the Facebook for the accepted students and I can see that within the past few days, the number dropped and then picked up again. what does that mean? last year in the first two weeks of April, 100 students left the group and the WL movement started. this year it doesn't seem to follow the same pattern...does that mean there isn't going to be any WL movement????? because there are 304 member on that Facebook group... :(

hi guys, I am new here. for the WL students, I was following the Facebook for the accepted students and I can see that within the past few days, the number dropped and then picked up again. what does that mean? last year in the first two weeks of April, 100 students left the group and the WL movement started. this year it doesn't seem to follow the same pattern...does that mean there isn't going to be any WL movement????? because there are 304 member on that Facebook group... :(

Well I counted the number of people in the group who had "Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine" in their byline plus a couple I knew were current students and that was 40 people. I'm guessing there are a lot more unidentified current students in the group as well.

Well I counted the number of people in the group who had "Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine" in their byline plus a couple I knew were current students and that was 40 people. I'm guessing there are a lot more unidentified current students in the group as well.

are you talking about this group?

Im thinking there wont be significant movement until after April 30th because of the new traffic rules, hopefully a lot of people give up their spots

Im thinking there wont be significant movement until after April 30th because of the new traffic rules, hopefully a lot of people give up their spots

I do hope so. last year people started at April 15 giving up their spots and by May 1st a lot of WL people got contacted by the dean and got off the WL. I am hoping for the best.

Any predictions on how many people might be getting an offer off the waitlist? This is my top choice so I am trying to be optimistic but it's getting harder to do that with every passing day.

Last edited:
Any predictions on how many people might be getting an offer off the waitlist? This is my top choice so I am trying to be optimistic but it's getting harder to do that with every passing day.

I think a lot of accepted people here have other top schools they got into as well and the change in curriculum is worrying people about being caught in the middle of it so might be some good waitlist movement going.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you guys know if WashU rejects post-II? the email that they sent a while ago suggested that they do but nobody has reported it.

Do you guys know if WashU rejects post-II? the email that they sent a while ago suggested that they do but nobody has reported it.

I don't think we know officially (and it looks like people have been wondering this in past years too and never gotten a straight answer, though there was one person a couple of cycles ago that reported a rejection). I guess I just figure that SDN is a super biased way to collect that type of data. If you got rejected you probably wouldn't want to talk about it, you'd just cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's half baked and move on... just a theory :)

I don't think we know officially (and it looks like people have been wondering this in past years too and never gotten a straight answer, though there was one person a couple of cycles ago that reported a rejection). I guess I just figure that SDN is a super biased way to collect that type of data. If you got rejected you probably wouldn't want to talk about it, you'd just cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's half baked and move on... just a theory :)

That's true but people do report rejections in other school's threads so who knows. I'm going to choose to believe that they do reject people and the waitlist isn't 700 people deep

Lol you make being rejected sound fun

Chances of getting of the waitlist just got a lot more slim didnt they?
As far as I can tell, many merit awards have already gone out. Your chances aren’t any less slim today than at the beginning of March because many people got their scholarship aid packages right around or before then.

Chances of getting of the waitlist just got a lot more slim didnt they?
They've always had great aid yet low yield. The extra money is significant but not a game changer. Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone, long time lurker and on the alternate list. Did anyone at second look get a feel for how many people would attend the school or how much the waitlist might move?

Hey everyone, long time lurker and on the alternate list. Did anyone at second look get a feel for how many people would attend the school or how much the waitlist might move?

Second look weekend had about 150 attendees for a class of 100. A lot of people I spoke to were pretty sold on WashU or deciding between one other school. WashU traditionally has a low yield but the additional scholarship investment they made this year and the smaller class size than typical makes me believe there will likely be less waitlist movement than usual.

Reactions: 3 users
Second look weekend had about 150 attendees for a class of 100. A lot of people I spoke to were pretty sold on WashU or deciding between one other school. WashU traditionally has a low yield but the additional scholarship investment they made this year and the smaller class size than typical makes me believe there will likely be less waitlist movement than usual.
Disappointing news but appreciate the honest feedback on this! Were MD/PhD students at this second look as well? If not that's 150 students for around 85 spots :(

Disappointing news but appreciate the honest feedback on this! Were MD/PhD students at this second look as well? If not that's 150 students for around 85 spots :(

MSTP students were there too. I think 35 for 25 spots

fml I was actually hopeful

They gave us a handout with the names & backgrounds of all the second look attendees. I counted ~130.

from all the comments it seems it is nearly impossible for anyone on the WL to even have a chance!!!!! :(
this is beyond disappointing at this time....I knew this new scholarship thing will make things harder....I was hopeful for a very long time...but now my hope is fading :(

from all the comments it seems it is nearly impossible for anyone on the WL to even have a chance!!!!! :(
this is beyond disappointing at this time....I knew this new scholarship thing will make things harder....I was hopeful for a very long time...but now my hope is fading :(

Don't give up! No matter how slim, I want to believe that we still have a chance.