Oct 13, 2018
Yes! A new section will appear on your portal that says 'scholarship' and you acknowledge the receipt of the letter just like you had to for your acceptance
If you don’t mind me asking, how much is your scholarship for? When I contacted admissions about scholarship matching they said merit scholarships go out in April, but I guess I’m being bamboozled?! Curious to know because if you already got half or full tuition, then they’re not saving the big money for April.

Mar 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If you don’t mind me asking, how much is your scholarship for? When I contacted admissions about scholarship matching they said merit scholarships go out in April, but I guess I’m being bamboozled?! Curious to know because if you already got half or full tuition, then they’re not saving the big money for April.
I don’t think you are being bamboozled. They have been known to give substantial sums of money to even waitlisted candidates in May.

Feb 2, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
1/2 tuition. And I missed the initial call last Monday and then spoke to the dean on Thursday and when I checked late Thursday night, it was posted

Sep 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Do scholarships go to full COA or just full tuition here?
During interview day they mentioned that a couple full COA scholarships (I think they mentioned that like a dozen of their students graduated with no debt whatsoever, but don't quote me on that lol) are given out every year.

Reactions: Shubniguroth
Feb 2, 2019
Status
Does anyone know how to complete the transcripts portion of the admissions checklist on the portal? Admissions told me that I don't need to submit my final transcripts until August, but I feel like I should be able to complete the checklist somehow.
I went through the same process as I did to submit the transcripts to AMCAS for the primary app, except I asked each school/institution to send the transcript directly to WashU Med. They updated the portal a couple days after I asked the schools to send them

Reactions: testaccount123
Oct 13, 2018
During interview day they mentioned that a couple full COA scholarships (I think they mentioned that like a dozen of their students graduated with no debt whatsoever, but don't quote me on that lol) are given out every year.
I remember something similar, but then I remember them saying the numbers included the MSTP students, so I’m still unclear how many full tuition/full COA scholarships exist for just the MD program.

Feb 2, 2019
Status
I am still in my final semester of undergrad so I have not graduated yet and don't have my final transcripts. Are you saying I should request my undergrad school to send them to WashU now?
Oh sorry, I've already graduated so my transcripts are the same as they were on my primary app. They'll likely want your final transcripts, so I would think you need to wait, but that's speculation so definitely check with them!

May 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I remember something similar, but then I remember them saying the numbers included the MSTP students, so I’m still unclear how many full tuition/full COA scholarships exist for just the MD program.
Merit Aid is separate from financial aid so if you get a full tuition scholarship, financial aid can chip in and cover you to COA. So for all of you lovely folks getting those half-tuition/full tuition/merit money, remember to fill out financial aid forms and talk to the financial aid office during second look to maximize your dollars.

If you don't get merit money, financial aid can still come in clutch and give you something worthwhile.

May 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I don’t think you are being bamboozled. They have been known to give substantial sums of money to even waitlisted candidates in May.
Exactly. I and a bunch of others got some merit love post second look last year. So don't fret too much if it's not coming your way yet. Reach out to admissions, come to second look, and just like interviews... Sometimes you just have to wait.

Mar 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Exactly. I and a bunch of others got some merit love post second look last year. So don't fret too much if it's not coming your way yet. Reach out to admissions, come to second look, and just like interviews... Sometimes you just have to wait.
@~ Doctor~ Do you know the methodology by which financial aid is calculated if you do get a merit based scholarship. Without a merit based scholarship the formula is COA - EFC = Financial Need. 50% of financial need is satisfied by grants whereas 50% is satisfied by loans. How does it work if you do qualify for a merit based scholarship? Is it COA - EFC - Merit Based Scholarship = Financial Need? And then 50% is covered by loans and 50% by grants? Or is there some other formula?

May 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
@~ Doctor~ Do you know the methodology by which financial aid is calculated if you do get a merit based scholarship. Without a merit based scholarship the formula is COA - EFC = Financial Need. 50% of financial need is satisfied by grants whereas 50% is satisfied by loans. How does it work if you do qualify for a merit based scholarship? Is it COA - EFC - Merit Based Scholarship = Financial Need? And then 50% is covered by loans and 50% by grants? Or is there some other formula?
From my experience financial aid does not look at your merit money when calculating need. So lets say your efc was like 20k, and coa was 80k and you got merit aid of 40k.

Initially your financial need would be (coa - efc) so 60k and you'd get 30k in financial aid. But now you'd still get that 30k financial aid + 40k merit money so 70k.

If your merit money was like 65k, financial aid would reduce your aid to 15k because merit money + financial aid cannot exceed coa. They dont want to pay you to go there lol.

You can email financial aid to double check this info and I probably will swing through office later but i am too lazy to do that right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: greentealeaves
Mar 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
From my experience financial aid does not look at your merit money when calculating need. So lets say your efc was like 20k, and coa was 80k and you got merit aid of 40k.

Initially your financial need would be (coa - efc) so 60k and you'd get 30k in financial aid. But now you'd still get that 30k financial aid + 40k merit money so 70k.

If your merit money was like 65k, financial aid would reduce your aid to 15k because merit money + financial aid cannot exceed coa. They dont want to pay you to go there lol.

You can email financial aid to double check this info and I probably will swing through office later but i am too lazy to do that right now.
That's amazing. I think that may be one of the most generous financial aid policies for medical schools in the United States. No wonder the average debt is under $100k, which I think is among the lowest of all medical schools.

Mar 28, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Posted this over in the MD students forum, thought I might repost here. This is the official match list, just reorganized in a slightly different way.

Anesthesiology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Indiana University
UWash

Child Neurology
Children’s Hosp-Philadelphia
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
St. Louis Univ

Clinical Pathology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Dermatology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Cook County
Duke
St. Louis Univ
UTSW

EM
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Dartmouth
Harbor-UCLA
OSU
UChicago
UCF-Gainesville

Gen Surg
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
CWRU
Duke
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Mayo Clinic-AZ
MedStar Georgetown
UChicago

IM
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
BWH
BWH
Duke
Duke
Emory
JHU
JHU
Montefiore/Einstein
Northwestern
NYU
Stanford
UCSF
U Maryland
US Air Force
USC
Zucker SOM

IR
Duke

Medicine/Prelim
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
BWH
Cedars-Sinai
SSM St. Marys
SSM St. Marys
St. Lukes
UCLA/Olive View
UCLA/Olive View
U Maryland
West Suburban Med Ctr
Zucker SOM

Med/Psych
U Iowa

Med-Prelim/Neuro
BWH
BWH
Northwestern

Neurosurg
NYP-Columbia
Stanford

Neuro
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
BWH/MGH
BWH/MGH
Northwestern

OB/GYN
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Baylor
Emory
Henry Ford Hospital
UCLA
UCSD
U Michigan
UTSA

Ophtho
BU
Illinois Eye and Ear
Northwestern
UCLA
UCLA
Wills Eye

Ortho
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
HSS
JHU
Rush
UPMC
U Rochester

ENT
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Peds
Children’s Hospital-Boston
Northwestern
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
UCSD
U Michigan
UWash

PM&R
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Plastics
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
MCW
UCLA
UCSF
U Utah

Psych
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
MGH
Stanford
UCLA/VA Greater LA
U Colorado

Child Psych
UTSW

Rad Onc
NYP-Cornell

Rads
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
Barnes-Jewish Hospital
UCLA

Surgery-Prelim
JHU
Northwestern
San Joaquin Gen Hosp
St. Louis Univ
UWash

Urology
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Vascular Surgery
U Rochester

Mar 28, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Thank you!
Just as a general question: what is a good way of looking at/evaluating match lists?
I'd say interpreting match lists is a bit tricky, since there are several reasons why students order their rank lists the way they do (which ends up affecting how they match, of course). I personally looked for match lists that showed many students matching to top programs in their field, as well as students choosing to stay at their home institution for residency (which may mean a combination of: their home programs are prestigious, students want to stay, and programs are happy to let them to stay). That being said, coming to WashU doesn't mean you will be geographically restricted when it comes to residency - as you see above, we recently matched several graduates to both coasts (and all around the US!).

Jul 13, 2018
Status
It seems that WashU does not like to reject anyone. How much waitlist movement should we be expecting?

Reactions: anonymous94
Mar 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you mind sharing when all of your FA documents were received? Just wondering when I might get my package...
I think they may be processing in the order they received them. I got mine roughly three weeks after I submitted all my documents. For people who have gotten their financial aid, are you happy or not? I would say I was pleasantly surprised at how generous WashU is with financial aid.

Oct 13, 2018
I think they may be processing in the order they received them. I got mine roughly three weeks after I submitted all my documents. For people who have gotten their financial aid, are you happy or not? I would say I was pleasantly surprised at how generous WashU is with financial aid.
i hope that people who didn’t get merit scholarships feel similarly

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I would agree the aid package is nice but the school is still quite expensive. I won't be attending unless they can come through with a merit scholarship unfortunately =(

Oct 13, 2018
Does anyone know if they’re receptive to matching scholarship offers? And if they are when is the best time to do it?
I’d emailed a couple of weeks ago and the dean replied and said we could talk about it at second look. Hoping that conversation will yield something because the fin aid package I got this week is nowhere near matching my other scholarships.

Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
It seems that WashU does not like to reject anyone. How much waitlist movement should we be expecting?
There are about 300 people on the accepted FB page. Considering that the class size is going to be 100 this year I'd say minimal. More than 200 accepted students need to withdraw for just one person to come off of the waitlist.

Jun 10, 2018
There are about 300 people on the accepted FB page. Considering that the class size is going to be 100 this year I'd say minimal. More than 200 accepted students need to withdraw for just one person to come off of the waitlist.
A good amount of that 300 are current students so it’s hard from that how much waitlist movement there will be.
Im in another Facebook group for a different school and there are easily 50-100 current students in the group.

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if they’re receptive to matching scholarship offers? And if they are when is the best time to do it?
At this point the merit scholarships are all dolled out (dean's words not mine), so any chance of matching will likely by late april/early may when people withdraw. Of course early may will be too late for most people unless you're talking about matching a future offer if coming off the waitlist

Mar 13, 2018
Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.

Jul 23, 2018
Hey for people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.
It would truly help if we could know the actually number of acceptances offered so we know how many acceptances are above 100

Reactions: swissnational
Apr 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
hi guys, I am new here. for the WL students, I was following the Facebook for the accepted students and I can see that within the past few days, the number dropped and then picked up again. what does that mean? last year in the first two weeks of April, 100 students left the group and the WL movement started. this year it doesn't seem to follow the same pattern...does that mean there isn't going to be any WL movement????? because there are 304 member on that Facebook group... :(

Jan 22, 2019
hi guys, I am new here. for the WL students, I was following the Facebook for the accepted students and I can see that within the past few days, the number dropped and then picked up again. what does that mean? last year in the first two weeks of April, 100 students left the group and the WL movement started. this year it doesn't seem to follow the same pattern...does that mean there isn't going to be any WL movement????? because there are 304 member on that Facebook group... :(
Well I counted the number of people in the group who had "Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine" in their byline plus a couple I knew were current students and that was 40 people. I'm guessing there are a lot more unidentified current students in the group as well.

Reactions: TechDoc19
Apr 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Well I counted the number of people in the group who had "Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine" in their byline plus a couple I knew were current students and that was 40 people. I'm guessing there are a lot more unidentified current students in the group as well.

are you talking about this group?

Dec 14, 2018
Im thinking there wont be significant movement until after April 30th because of the new traffic rules, hopefully a lot of people give up their spots

Jun 14, 2018
Any predictions on how many people might be getting an offer off the waitlist? This is my top choice so I am trying to be optimistic but it's getting harder to do that with every passing day.

Last edited:

freedoctor17

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
Any predictions on how many people might be getting an offer off the waitlist? This is my top choice so I am trying to be optimistic but it's getting harder to do that with every passing day.
I think a lot of accepted people here have other top schools they got into as well and the change in curriculum is worrying people about being caught in the middle of it so might be some good waitlist movement going.

Feb 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you guys know if WashU rejects post-II? the email that they sent a while ago suggested that they do but nobody has reported it.
I don't think we know officially (and it looks like people have been wondering this in past years too and never gotten a straight answer, though there was one person a couple of cycles ago that reported a rejection). I guess I just figure that SDN is a super biased way to collect that type of data. If you got rejected you probably wouldn't want to talk about it, you'd just cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's half baked and move on... just a theory :)

Sep 28, 2018
Status
I don't think we know officially (and it looks like people have been wondering this in past years too and never gotten a straight answer, though there was one person a couple of cycles ago that reported a rejection). I guess I just figure that SDN is a super biased way to collect that type of data. If you got rejected you probably wouldn't want to talk about it, you'd just cry into a pint of Ben & Jerry's half baked and move on... just a theory :)
That's true but people do report rejections in other school's threads so who knows. I'm going to choose to believe that they do reject people and the waitlist isn't 700 people deep

Reactions: soillpremed