Mar 13, 2018
Ok so I have some questions:

1. Anyone at second look want to fill me in on what happened?

2. More importantly, can someone tell me (hopefully in detail) about the new curriculum and how it affects us?

differentiating

tu fui, ego eris.
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok so I have some questions:

1. Anyone at second look want to fill me in on what happened?

2. More importantly, can someone tell me (hopefully in detail) about the new curriculum and how it affects us?
For #2, the truth is no one knows for sure. Obviously the school is going to say everything is good, but that may not be reality. I do know that @differentiating who goes to a different top school was in a similar situation, being in the transition period between old and new curriculum. Maybe they could offer some perspective.
I gave my thoughts about this exact situation over here, iirc, though I'm happy to answer questions otherwise about the general situation. The basic summary is that the class before a curriculum change and the first class undergoing it will most likely both have much worse experiences than the classes before or after them. Third year is going to be a hot mess for both, at the very least.

Oct 13, 2018
I gave my thoughts about this exact situation over here, iirc, though I'm happy to answer questions otherwise about the general situation. The basic summary is that the class before a curriculum change and the first class undergoing it will most likely both have much worse experiences than the classes before or after them. Third year is going to be a hot mess for both, at the very least.
I’m gonna defend WashU here since differentiating doesn’t go to WashU and can truly only speak to their experience with a curriculum change at a different institution. At second look they addressed this concern and said that’s why our class and the class below is going to have 25 fewer students than normal. A class size reduction is a change that NO other school undergoing a curriculum change has done before. They are ALSO expanding clinical sites for students to do rotations. Yes, there will be kinks, no doubt about that. But they have thought through these things. If you got accepted and have more questions as you make this decision, there are current student contacts on the curriculum change committee you can find in the Facebook group. I’d recommend asking them or the WashU administration instead of some anonymous person on SDN who underwent curriculum change somewhere else.

differentiating

tu fui, ego eris.
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I’m gonna defend WashU here since differentiating doesn’t go to WashU and can truly only speak to their experience with a curriculum change at a different institution. At second look they addressed this concern and said that’s why our class and the class below is going to have 25 fewer students than normal. A class size reduction is a change that NO other school undergoing a curriculum change has done before. They are ALSO expanding clinical sites for students to do rotations. Yes, there will be kinks, no doubt about that. But they have thought through these things. If you got accepted and have more questions as you make this decision, there are current student contacts on the curriculum change committee you can find in the Facebook group. I’d recommend asking them or the WashU administration instead of some anonymous person on SDN who underwent curriculum change somewhere else.
I disagree that current WashU students will be able to give much of a perspective, as they haven't been through it - heck, we couldn't advise the class below us on what Bridges would mean because we didn't really know. The admin has obviously done what they can to ameliorate things, but that doesn't mean that there won't be an impact all the same - 25 fewer students per class isn't very significant when you're still talking about 200 kids for ~124 slots.

To be clear: I personally don't care whether people choose to attend WashU or not. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong choice here. I simply felt very blindsided by the impact a curriculum change would have on my class and the class below when I entered medical school, so I think it's important that incoming students are aware of the potential risks. I would've liked to know how it could've impacted me when I was making my decision on whether or not to attend UCSF, which is why I've given my perspective in these threads.

Jan 22, 2019
FWIW there are still ~25 MSTP per class so you're looking at 150 student entering clerkships vs. a normal 100. Not a huge difference but makes finding the slots a little easier

Oct 13, 2018
I disagree that current WashU students will be able to give much of a perspective, as they haven't been through it - heck, we couldn't advise the class below us on what Bridges would mean because we didn't really know. The admin has obviously done what they can to ameliorate things, but that doesn't mean that there won't be an impact all the same - 25 fewer students per class isn't very significant when you're still talking about 200 kids for ~124 slots.

To be clear: I personally don't care whether people choose to attend WashU or not. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong choice here. I simply felt very blindsided by the impact a curriculum change would have on my class and the class below when I entered medical school, so I think it's important that incoming students are aware of the potential risks. I would've liked to know how it could've impacted me when I was making my decision on whether or not to attend UCSF, which is why I've given my perspective in these threads.
YDY, but I felt confident in their changes after going to Second Look. The student contacts obviously can not speak to the change (nor do we care so much about the minutiae of the new curriculum, because we won’t have it) but they can speak to what is being done to address these concerns, something you cannot.

BTW, Someone from UCSF is currently working on the curriculum change at WashU. Hopefully, they’re considering your grudges from UCSF as they do this overhaul.

Reactions: ~ Doctor~
Aug 9, 2018
As someone on the waitlist and having lived in St. Louis my whole life I think the most exciting thing about the curriculum change will hopefully be seen in an increased connection to the surrounding city. I may be biased, but I love this place and think that alone helps me stay confident that even if I don't get in the effects of these changes will be felt positively by a large number of people in the area.

May 24, 2017
Status
Medical Student
YDY, but I felt confident in their changes after going to Second Look. The student contacts obviously can not speak to the change (nor do we care so much about the minutiae of the new curriculum, because we won’t have it) but they can speak to what is being done to address these concerns, something you cannot.

BTW, Someone from UCSF is currently working on the curriculum change at WashU. Hopefully, they’re considering your grudges from UCSF as they do this overhaul.
I was going to reply to differentiating but I think you made all of the salient points. Compared to other top schools, WashU has been extremely slow to do a curriculum change and has tried to cover their bases very well. Things like the reduction in class size among others have been done to premept issues that rose up in other schools. Will it be prefect? Probably not. But the admin and current students on the curriculum committees are working extremely hard to minimize and hiccups during the transition. So, take the comments about "hot mess" rotations with a grain of salt.

Mar 13, 2018
UCSF just upped the bid. Guess I’m stuck.

Anyways thanks people for some solid arguments on both sides. I’m going to have a talk with the dean tomorrow about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vandelay_Industries
Mar 17, 2018
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
UCSF just upped the bid. Guess I’m stuck.

Anyways thanks people for some solid arguments on both sides. I’m going to have a talk with the dean tomorrow about it.
:eek: I can't imagine what your AMCAS must have looked like for schools to fight over you like this

Mar 13, 2018
That's amazing!!! Congrats. Did you reach out asking for more or did they just hit you up randomly? Good luck in the decision making process!
Randomly called me. Yesterday they offered me half then they called me this morning and changed it to full.

Reactions: ggr805

PB&

Jun 21, 2018
maybe they did call more but it isn't being reported here :shrug:
It's so quiet on here and the other thread I've been anxiously refreshing lol

Reactions: TechDoc19
Feb 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I was thinking that maybe the waitlist movement (n=1) we had on the 30th was them replacing someone they lost before the mass exodus... and now they're waiting for the dust to settle to look at who they lost on Tuesday and come up with appropriate replacements. Wash U has an unranked waitlist which means they may select waitlisters in order to maintain certain diversity/demographics, so they probably have to think it over.

Unfortunately, since there are new AMCAS rules this year it's hard to know if things will move like previous years... I've noticed a couple of different people on the waitlist support thread complaining that there isn't a lot of movement at other schools too.

**EDIT** the good news is the facebook page had 304 members on 4/10 and now it has 241... so... at least 60+ people gave up their acceptances :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Not to be pessimistic, but who's to say whether that was all the current students leaving the group or the new students giving up their acceptance offers...
I’m all for pessimism... but... why would current students leave? They were on there I’m guessing to persuade people/help with the transition, right? I don’t know... that was like 30-40 people though in a couple of hours (it was around 240 people at ~5 PM)... kind of weird... maybe people are just getting around to leaving Facebook groups on a Friday night? Lol

Looks like the same thing happened last year? (2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018
I’m all for pessimism... but... why would current students leave? They were on there I’m guessing to persuade people/help with the transition, right? I don’t know... that was like 30-40 people though in a couple of hours (it was around 240 people at ~5 PM)... kind of weird... maybe people are just getting around to leaving Facebook groups on a Friday night? Lol

Looks like the same thing happened last year? (2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis)
Not to be pessimistic, but who's to say whether that was all the current students leaving the group or the new students giving up their acceptance offers....
The facebook page dropped significantly in number. It became 205. That’s like a total of 100 people left do far
I’m not sorry to sound mean or anything but this is getting a little obsessive don’t you think? Lol