2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you guys say that it's not a good sign if we didn't hear back in the first round of acceptances after interviewing relatively early in the cycle (early Oct)?

A student that goes here posted earlier saying it's not very linear so no it's probably nothing to worry about for now. I also interviewed early and still holding out my hopes for here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, I’m interviewing here next week and am super excited for it so I just wanted to clarify/confirm a few things. Generally you interview with 2 faculty members, 1 open-file, 1 closed-file, correct? Also, do you find out who your interviewers are before interview day or do you find out when you get there? Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

Hey all, I’m interviewing here next week and am super excited for it so I just wanted to clarify/confirm a few things. Generally you interview with 2 faculty members, 1 open-file, 1 closed-file, correct? Also, do you find out who your interviewers are before interview day or do you find out when you get there? Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

1) yes but you may have a student as well since theyre in the middle of trialing that for the future.

2)You find out when you get there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any speculation on when the next round of decisions will be? This week, next week, etc?

Any speculation on when the next round of decisions will be? This week, next week, etc?
Really hoping before the holidays. As long as it's acceptances anyway. Not trying to ruin Xmas fun with an R

Reactions: 1 user
Question for anyone who has stayed at the Core for 2 nights. I'm staying the night before my interview and the night of my interview because the cheapest flight wasn't until later on Saturday. Is there a specific check out time that you need to have all of your things out? Just asking because my flight isn't until 6 something and I'd like to spend some time exploring St. Louis before I have to head to the airport. Thanks in advance!

Question for anyone who has stayed at the Core for 2 nights. I'm staying the night before my interview and the night of my interview because the cheapest flight wasn't until later on Saturday. Is there a specific check out time that you need to have all of your things out? Just asking because my flight isn't until 6 something and I'd like to spend some time exploring St. Louis before I have to head to the airport. Thanks in advance!

They'd probably let you just put your stuff in the closet space. I arrived early and left my stuff in there while i explored. I only stayed one night though so cant comment on the check out time.

I would just email and ask. They're very open and accommodating

So my notes were very vague and just said we'd hear back before April first. Anyone know how often they send out acceptances?

Got the call tonight! Interviewed late October! It’s started y’all!

Reactions: 13 users
Got the call tonight! Interviewed late October! It’s started y’all!

At the risk of sounding incredibly neurotic, how late October are we talking about here? I interviewed November 2nd and am curious if there is a chance I could be included in this upcoming wave.

At the risk of sounding incredibly neurotic, how late October are we talking about here? I interviewed November 2nd and am curious if there is a chance I could be included in this upcoming wave.
They just finished the committee meeting this afternoon so hopefully more should be coming out over this weekend!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh worried that because I interviewed early October, they've already passed me by... does anyone know if they go through applications chronologically or do they keep re-evaluating? I was considering sending an update once fall semester finished so I have new grades to include but this is making me nervous haha.

Ugh worried that because I interviewed early October, they've already passed me by... does anyone know if they go through applications chronologically or do they keep re-evaluating? I was considering sending an update once fall semester finished so I have new grades to include but this is making me nervous haha.
From what I heard, they do not accept chronologically. A friend of an interviewee said that she was accepted promptly (one week[?]) after interviewing. We're gonna have to be extra patient with this school lol

Accepted! Got the phone call in the evening and interviewed mid-September. To those who interviewed early, don't lose hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to those accepted now! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got the call!!! Accepted. II: mid Nov

Reactions: 7 users
Of course I’ve gotten three phone calls this morning already.. None of which are from St. Louis

Congrats to those accepted! Out of curiosity did any of you send in letters of interest?

Got an interview for the MSTP! I interviewed for the MD program earlier this year and assumed I was out of the running.

To add to the questions for those accepted yesterday/today: what kind of undergrad did you go to? I have a theory based on something my interviewer told me that I'm trying to confirm/deny....

To add to the questions for those accepted yesterday/today: what kind of undergrad did you go to? I have a theory based on something my interviewer told me that I'm trying to confirm/deny....
What did your interviewer tell you?

What did your interviewer tell you?
A physician friend of mine told me that Wash U. heavily favors applicants from HYPSM schools. Not sure if that's the same theory he or she was referring to.

A physician friend of mine told me that Wash U. heavily favors applicants from HYPSM schools. Not sure if that's the same theory he or she was referring to.

Yeah that was basically it. Interviewer said something like a majority of the admissions committee really cares if you went to a top-tier undergrad (Ivies, Stanford, Duke, UCLA, Johns Hopkins, MIT, etc) and favors those applicants. Not sure how true that is, hence why I'm trying to gather info on where everyone went to undergrad.

Last edited:
Yeah that was basically it. Interviewer said something like a majority of the admissions committee really cares if you went to a top-tier undergrad (Ivies, Stanford, Duke, UCLA, Johns Hopkins, MIT, etc) and favors those applicants. Not sure how true that is, hence why I'm trying to see gather info on where everyone went to undergrad.

lmao I went to one of those schools and now feel even worse about my application :)

Yeah that was basically it. Interviewer said something like a majority of the admissions committee really cares if you went to a top-tier undergrad (Ivies, Stanford, Duke, UCLA, Johns Hopkins, MIT, etc) and favors those applicants. Not sure how true that is, hence why I'm trying to gather info on where everyone went to undergrad.
"uh oh" —me, a state school student

Reactions: 13 users
lmao I went to one of those schools and now feel even worse about my application :)

"uh oh" —me, a state school student

NOOOOOOO I didn't mean to spread panic!!!! I bet you guys are both awesome perfect applicants who will be amazing doctors!!!! Pay no attention to me and my data gathering lol

NOOOOOOO I didn't mean to spread panic!!!! I bet you guys are both awesome perfect applicants who will be amazing doctors!!!! Pay no attention to me and my data gathering lol
Haha you're good, just joking around :p It's interesting info nonetheless hahaha

My undergrad had a very old alum who sat on WashU’s adcom for years give a presentation and showed us the paper they once used to score interviewees. School prestige was measured in a rank 1-5. So it matters somewhat, at least like 7 years ago.

Accepted yesterday evening!!! Interviewed mid-Nov.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!! Got the call earlier this evening. Interviewed the week before thanksgiving. LM~83

Wow so they called on Friday and Monday so looks like it's not a set schedule.

accepted tonight by phone!!! the best news to kick off my holidays!! :)

edit: interviewed in october

Last edited:
For people who have been accepted, do we need to pay a deposit? I didn't see any info about it on my portal but I thought someone had told me that WashU required a deposit to hold your acceptance.

Lots of bars in CWE, downtown, Soulard or The Grove. Fair number of dance clubs ( typically some of the bars have an inner dance space). You would see a fair number of students depending on what places you frequent (typically WashU and SLU grads/undergrads and folks from Webster/Fontbonne). Lesser number of young professionals in CWE. That crowd tends to be downtown, Soulard or if you drive like 15 mins away, a bunch of other neigborhoods with night scenes

CWE bars seem closest to the school. Would you say they are within walking distance from the school?

i missed my call (this was like a month ago) - anyone know when scholarship info gets sent out?

Anyone know when the next committee meeting usually is? I am trying to figure out when would be a good time to send significant updates with winter break starting in a couple of days.

Just got a heart attack from that holiday greetings email.
I know this doesn't matter... but... did anyone who interviewed not get a holiday greetings email? Lol I want summa dat holiday spirit too

Reactions: 2 users
Just found out that there is a culinary medicine program here. This definitely makes me more interested in WashU. Are there any current students that would be willing to talk about their experiences?

1. What kind of recipes do you teach to the community members?
  2. Where is the teaching kitchen in relation to school?
  3. Do students purchase the ingredients themselves, or are ingredients provided? Do you show community members where they can find the ingredients for themselves?
Edit: Also, is this school pass/fail or nah?

Just found out that there is a culinary medicine program here. This definitely makes me more interested in WashU. Are there any current students that would be willing to talk about their experiences?

1. What kind of recipes do you teach to the community members?
  2. Where is the teaching kitchen in relation to school?
  3. Do students purchase the ingredients themselves, or are ingredients provided? Do you show community members where they can find the ingredients for themselves?
Edit: Also, is this school pass/fail or nah?

Yep it's pass/fail

Edit: not a student but interviewed here