2018-2019 Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Remember to breath and relax. For the pizza party, you can dress casually (the nice kind of casual).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wore my very comfy airplane outfit--sweatshirt and leggings to the pizza party because it was the only outfit I had other than a suit; the med students were wearing the same thing (WUSM gear + jeans). There were some very well-dressed interviewees though so it's up to you. (The med students won't report your outfit.)

The interview is so relaxed and easy-going; my open-file interviewer let me look at his frozen slides and was semi-teaching a clueless me during it. Acceptance or not, this will always be my favorite interview. Just be yourself, smile, and be enthusiastic! Good luck! :)

Hi Everyone, I have an interview coming up at WashU, I'm so excited!!!!
Those of you who have already interviewed:
Do you have any advice for the interview? (Types of questions/ anything you weren't prepared for?)
For the pizza party the night before, what attire would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Everything was very conversational and easy-going, even my closed file interview. There weren't any tricky questions, they really just want to get to know you. Prepare for the classic questions (eg. "tell me about yourself"), but other than that, just make sure you know your application well.

I hope you have fun, it was one of my favorite interview days!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if II are still going out? I’ve been complete since this summer and haven’t heard anything from admissions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anyone know if II are still going out? I’ve been complete since this summer and haven’t heard anything from admissions.

Don't lose hope. According to last year's trend, interviews were offered into February.

Reactions: 1 user
did anyone here send a LOI to admissions via email and get a reply?

Current students here, can you use Macs or is it Windows only?

Lots of people use either. There arent really any proprietary software we use that would necessitate picking one over the other

Can you email application updates/ letters of interest or do they need to upload through the secondary application portal?

Go through the portal as thats what they prefer/ it makes it easier on admissions to not get random emails, but as far as I know, email will also work (after you are admitted/second look, this becomes far better to use)

I was told by students at the event the night before that since not everyone got one that it had no bearing on admission. I had one and haven’t been accepted though so who knows haha.

This is pretty much on the money. AFAIK it should not matter much, and can possibly help your case if one of the other reviewers is harsh on you, because the students tend to be nicer reviewers. Its hard for it to hurt you tho, except you had a major issue - like saying something racist to the student etc

lol same, student interview and no A, did they give us a student interviewer because they had a low chance of taking us post-II and wanted us to be guinea pigs??

Actually everyone will have a student interviewer if admissions could get enough fourth years to do it lol. So, its randomly assigned to a bunch of people. (I and a bunch of my classmates all had M4 interviewers and we got in so..)

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember to breath and relax. For the pizza party, you can dress casually (the nice kind of casual).

Showing up in sweat pants and a tank top is also fine tbh. The event is for you to ask questions only, and admissions goes to much length to make sure they are not involved in the pizza dinners an its fully student run so you can be comfortable and relax

AFAIK interviews end on 2/8 but obviously im not affiliated with admissions

Does anybody know when Merit Aid decisions start getting released?

Dear SDN,

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere in this thread, but I have not been able to find an explicit answer anywhere yet. What is the format for the interview ? Is it one short closed file interview and one long open file interview? Is the closed file more behavioral ?

Dear SDN,

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere in this thread, but I have not been able to find an explicit answer anywhere yet. What is the format for the interview ? Is it one short closed file interview and one long open file interview? Is the closed file more behavioral ?
It’s one closed file and one open file interview with faculty. The open file interview is slightly longer if I’m remembering correctly (though I interviewed in September so I could be wrong). Some people will also have a third interview that’s about 30 mins long with a current student.

Reactions: 2 users
Dear SDN,

20 minute closed file, 40 minute open file, and some have a 30 minute with a student. None of these are behavioral – they’re all conversational.

Anybody know when the next acceptances are going out?

Reactions: 6 users
I got a call from Dean Ratts for a merit scholarship. I didn't have a chance to answer the phone, so she left me a voice mail addressing me with a different name.. lol either I got it or jonny did. (not using his real name for anonymity).

Reactions: 11 users
I got a call from Dean Ratts for a merit scholarship. I didn't have a chance to answer the phone, so she left me a voice mail addressing me with a different name.. lol either I got it or jonny did. (not using his real name for anonymity).

That is hilarious. Hope it's you and Jonny both!

Were you accepted in the January wave? Or earlier?

This is one of those needy schools right? Like you're unlikely to get in unless you've been sending lots of letters of interest?

Do they call the landline or cell number you put on the secondary?

This is one of those needy schools right? Like you're unlikely to get in unless you've been sending lots of letters of interest?

I've heard to wait until after February to send any LOIs, but significant updates are always welcome.

My general rule of thumb has been that if the school mentions accepting LOIs during the interview day, then they're receptive to them. If they don't, they probably don't care. When I interviewed I don't believe they mentioned anything about LOIs. And in general, I don't think it's advisable to send lots of LOIs to any school it would probably just annoy them.

I would be hesitant to trust rumors about a school being "needy" since they're largely just spread by word of mouth without any evidence lol. But hey what do I know it's all speculation.

I've heard to wait until after February to send any LOIs, but significant updates are always welcome.

My general rule of thumb has been that if the school mentions accepting LOIs during the interview day, then they're receptive to them. If they don't, they probably don't care. When I interviewed I don't believe they mentioned anything about LOIs. And in general, I don't think it's advisable to send lots of LOIs to any school it would probably just annoy them.

I would be hesitant to trust rumors about a school being "needy" since they're largely just spread by word of mouth without any evidence lol
They are receptive to them but like you said, one should wait to send. Unless schools strongly encourage them before admission decisions (ie. Mayo sending emails to everyone asking for LOI's ) then save it for if you get waitlisted

Any idea when WashU will be sending out merit scholarship$?

Man.. everyone here talking about acceptances while im still hoping for an interview lol

Reactions: 2 users
They must have split the scholarship with Jonny. I got a half tuition scholarship!

Reactions: 13 users
Another Jonny took my half. Half-tuition scholarship here as well.

Anyone else watching the phone today? lol

Ugh I hate that I’m asking this but anyone know approx what time of day acceptance calls have gone out in past waves??
They have tended to be in the evenings after normal work hours but could potentially be any reasonable time of day

Does any one know if the Olin Fellowship is available for MD candidates this year, and how it'll work for those aren't yet accepted since the deadline is tomorrow

Hold on, am I jonny? Got a call from Dean Ratts earlier but wasn't able to pick up at the time. Hoping for good news!

Hold on, am I jonny? Got a call from Dean Ratts earlier but wasn't able to pick up at the time. Hoping for good news!
Well maybe you woulda found out if you weren't smokin pot with Sloan Kettering all day.