2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anybody know how we can accept our waitlist position if they never emailed us? and to those accepted, did you find out by email?

Also wondered if you need to accept waitlist position

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any updates on scholarship offers? Last I heard anyone getting one was at least 2 months ago. Or for anyone on here that goes to Wayne, how many students do you estimate get some form of a scholarship?

Got an invite to second look day in April 8th. Does anyone know if they will be hosting another second look day after April 8th?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any updates on scholarship offers? Last I heard anyone getting one was at least 2 months ago. Or for anyone on here that goes to Wayne, how many students do you estimate get some form of a scholarship?
I'm not sure about merit-based scholarships, but need based scholarships are automatically rewarded once your financial aid kicks in. For OOS, that's usually $18k

Accepted!! Interviewed 1/18. However, I will be giving up my seat. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure about merit-based scholarships, but need based scholarships are automatically rewarded once your financial aid kicks in. For OOS, that's usually $18k

Interesting, I haven’t gotten anything about financial aid and was accepted in November. Do they need transcripts? Or something else I might be missing? EFC is 0 for me, IS.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how accurate this is. There is a "Board of Governor's" need based scholarship that is up to 18K depending on lifetime pell grant percentage received and subsidized loans received while undergrad. Merit scholarships are awarded separately from the financial aid office, but factored in once the whole package is put together. A merit scholarship may therefore decrease your "need." This is information directly from the financial aid office and the scholarship program website.

Interesting, I haven’t gotten anything about financial aid and was accepted in November. Do they need transcripts? Or something else I might be missing? EFC is 0 for me, IS.
I spoke to the financial aid office a couple weeks ago. You can expect financial aid packages to start going out beginning to middle of April. I didn't specifically ask about whether they need your transcripts, but not likely. If they do it will probably say in Academica.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an invite to second look day in April 8th. Does anyone know if they will be hosting another second look day after April 8th?
I didn’t get one. Weird. Do you have other acceptances? Maybe they somehow know which students hold multiple acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
Also for everyone waitlisted, don’t lose hope. I would say that out of 308 M1’s, perhaps 225 were waitlisted before they came here. I myself didn’t recieve my acceptance until June 18th.
Can confirm! I wasn’t accepted until late May 2018.

Does anyone know what kind of weight Wayne gives to LOI? I've seen forums agruing both sides of the issue due to the frequency of disingenuous LOIs that have been submitted. If I were to submit one it would be in good faith and I would honor it if accepted, but if it won't change how they consider my app or actually hurts my odds I'll just sit tight on the WL. Sorry if this has been asked before, but like their class size this forum is huge lol
LOI, I can’t comment on... but I did send in like 2 update letters - one was of my fall grades that showed I did well in some clinical science courses like pathology and neuroanatomy, and another was to update on a recent volunteering experience I had. I am pretty confident that those update letters are why I ended up being accepted. They like to see you are continuing in your education and doing meaningful work. I guess you could call them LOI’s as well because I did include a few sentiments of really wanting to attend WSUSOM and how their message resonated with me.

I didn’t get one. Weird. Do you have other acceptances? Maybe they somehow know which students hold multiple acceptances
No, schools don’t know whether you hold multiple acceptance. I got the invitation by mail not email so maybe yours is on it’s way. I’m assuming they invite everyone who was accepted but I don’t know for sure.

I was accepted via email on Friday, but since then my portal hasn’t changed nor have I received an official email through my Wayne email? Is this normal? I called admissions just to make sure the acceptance email is real and was told to email admissions and that they would get back to me in 5 business days.

I was accepted via email on Friday, but since then my portal hasn’t changed nor have I received an official email through my Wayne email? Is this normal? I called admissions just to make sure the acceptance email is real and was told to email admissions and that they would get back to me in 5 business days.
Congrats, were you on the alternate list? Thanks

Congrats, were you on the alternate list? Thanks
Thank you! I was. But for two days? I was placed on the list Wednesday of last week and received the email on Friday. But I’m still wary that it’s a fluke or something?

Congrats!! I was also accepted via email, and they took a few days to put it on the portal. Check your mail also! You have to confirm the acceptance through a link they send. Just relax now!!

Also, for all admitted applicants, join the facebook group

Congrats!! I was also accepted via email, and they took a few days to put it on the portal. Check your mail also! You have to confirm the acceptance through a link they send. Just relax now!!

Thank you so much! That’s a relief to hear! And congratulations to you too! :)

Thank you! I was. But for two days? I was placed on the list Wednesday of last week and received the email on Friday. But I’m still wary that it’s a fluke or something?

Congrats!!! May I ask about your interview date?

I thought mine was a fluke too when I got pulled off the waitlist, but it should be legit! It will take a little while for your portal to change and a few days or so to get an email with the link to formally accept your seat. I received mine through my Wayne email but like I said, it took a few days to receive it after having gotten that initial email that just stated I was accepted.

Congratulations by the way!

I thought mine was a fluke too when I got pulled off the waitlist, but it should be legit! It will take a little while for your portal to change and a few days or so to get an email with the link to formally accept your seat. I received mine through my Wayne email but like I said, it took a few days to receive it after having gotten that initial email that just stated I was accepted.

Congrats to you all. Can’t wait to meet everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm a little confused! I got an email last Friday saying I was accepted but there was no link to accept the offer? Then I checked my portal and it seems like the only thing in the "post-admission" section is activating my WSU email. Haas the link to accept the offer just not been posted yet?

I don't know if this is a weird question but since I guess we're now getting into the beginning of things getting shuffled around on the waitlist, does this mean acceptances go out more frequently during the month or does it pretty much stay the same as earlier in the cycle with acceptances going out once a month? Probably an unimportant thing to ask but I suppose just to help taper my constant email checking :)

Also for everyone waitlisted, don’t lose hope. I would say that out of 308 M1’s, perhaps 225 were waitlisted before they came here. I myself didn’t recieve my acceptance until June 18th.

Don't classes start like July 1st? Did you have to scramble to get everything together (financial aid, housing, books, etc) before starting school? I'm from OOS so if I end up in that scenario, I sort of want to have a game plan ready. I have a contact with a student at Wayne so that's something of a cushion but still...Thanks!

Don't classes start like July 1st? Did you have to scramble to get everything together (financial aid, housing, books, etc) before starting school? I'm from OOS so if I end up in that scenario, I sort of want to have a game plan ready. I have a contact with a student at Wayne so that's something of a cushion but still...Thanks!
Looks like last year classes started July 16 and in 2017 classes started July 31. Not sure what they will do this year. Any current students know? Can't seem to find that info on their website.

Hey, this would be something that admissions is more equipped to understand. Our classes resume in April, so we’ll be on a bit of a different timeline

Sorry if this has been answered before but I'm a little confused! I got an email last Friday saying I was accepted but there was no link to accept the offer? Then I checked my portal and it seems like the only thing in the "post-admission" section is activating my WSU email. Haas the link to accept the offer just not been posted yet?

You get a separate email with the link to secure your acceptance seat! It should come to your Wayne email so I would make sure to check that! If you still haven't gotten the email though, it might take a few more days. You'll also be getting a package in the mail which has the link written in the checklist they give you. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! That is a relief to hear and I actually got the link today through my usual email instead of through Wayne’s email system! Hearing that it’s normal for the delay really helped relieve my anxiety about it being a mistake! Congratulations as well and I love your Mob pic.

Thank you so much! That is a relief to hear and I actually got the link today through my usual email instead of through Wayne’s email system! Hearing that it’s normal for the delay really helped relieve my anxiety about it being a mistake! Congratulations as well and I love your Mob pic.

You're welcome! I actually got moved off the waitlist in mid-December which really surprised me since I didn't think the waitlist could move so early in the cycle. I made a call to the admissions office to confirm my acceptance but they weren't able to tell me anything definitive except to wait it out. Now that you have the link for your acceptance though, you can finally relax! :happy:

Thank you! You're the first one to compliment me on it :)

Hey, this would be something that admissions is more equipped to understand. Our classes resume in April, so we’ll be on a bit of a different timeline

So I should ask admissions what to do if I get accepted close to the beginning of classes? I'm on the west coast so getting accepted two weeks before M1 begins would be an organizational ****show....Thanks again!

So I should ask admissions what to do if I get accepted close to the beginning of classes? I'm on the west coast so getting accepted two weeks before M1 begins would be an organizational ****show....Thanks again!
Lol good luck. The office will be MIA for match day, and will likely be very backed up with emails. Asking them for advice on this though... I wouldn’t recommend it. That might annoy them, since they don’t really have time to go over a game plan for each and every applicant. Just have a plan A and B set up. That was the only reason I wasn’t major depressed while scrambling around. The hardest thing will be securing a good lease. So look for a likely apartment you’d like to live in, if you don’t have a car look into buying one, calculate moving costs from you to Detroit, etc. The scrambling is manageable if you’re on your top game. Best of luck! I’m crossing my fingers you all get in

Lol good luck. The office will be MIA for match day, and will likely be very backed up with emails. Asking them for advice on this though... I wouldn’t recommend it. That might annoy them, since they don’t really have time to go over a game plan for each and every applicant. Just have a plan A and B set up. That was the only reason I wasn’t major depressed while scrambling around. The hardest thing will be securing a good lease. So look for a likely apartment you’d like to live in, if you don’t have a car look into buying one, calculate moving costs from you to Detroit, etc. The scrambling is manageable if you’re on your top game. Best of luck! I’m crossing my fingers you all get in

Ah I see. Ok, yea if I don't hear anything by late April/early May, I'll start getting a game plan ready and looking into the things you mentioned. I definitely have a tendency to get stressed/depressed/angry when I'm under the gun like that. Hopefully it won't be all to waste. :xf::xf::xf:

Just spoke with an admissions advisor for Wayne at my university's med school expo. She said there will be no more waitlist movement until after April 1st and they are trying to be conservative this year with how many students they will send acceptances to. She also said it may be until July until some people hear about their application status. I hope this helps students out, I myself am waitlisted here and am really hoping to get accepted!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just spoke with an admissions advisor for Wayne at my university's med school expo. She said there will be no more waitlist movement until after April 1st and they are trying to be conservative this year with how many students they will send acceptances to. She also said it may be until July until some people hear about their application status. I hope this helps students out, I myself am waitlisted here and am really hoping to get accepted!!

Ah! That's helpful... and also so aggravating! They have not even reviewed the last month of interviews... They seem to have autoWL'ed everyone after mid Feb :(

Do you have any idea if this means that acceptances will come more frequently during the month or will they just send them out once a month?

They told us at the interview day they have accepted people the day before classes started but geez, the idea never fails to aggravate and scare me when it gets brought up. Here's to hoping for a merciful acceptance as well.

Wayne is historically terrible at how it pulls people from their wait-list, but I guess that's kinda due to it being a huge state school. The new traffic rules just make it worse. The geniuses at the AAMC can't seem to understand this. Who would've thought that forcing schools to wait list more people will draw out an already super long process more and more? In what way is it acceptable to have someone sit in limbo throughout an entire cycle, potentially spilling over into the start of the next application cycle? People have lives ffs. Not only is the uncertainty painful, it's also expensive. For how much the fat cats seem to tout the values of empathy, you'd think that they could show some towards their own applicants.

/rant

I think come April most of you will start seeing some serious movement and gain acceptances. Just be patient (sorry, I know it's hard to do). Checking portals every day is not worthwhile as they will, in most cases, send the email before the portal updates. For a lot of you, this will be the last time you can truly slack off and just be a goofy kid (yes we are all adults but you know what I mean). Enjoy it, travel a bit, learn how to cook and read some non medical books before everything changes.

I think come April most of you will start seeing some serious movement and gain acceptances. Just be patient (sorry, I know it's hard to do). Checking portals every day is not worthwhile as they will, in most cases, send the email before the portal updates. For a lot of you, this will be the last time you can truly slack off and just be a goofy kid (yes we are all adults but you know what I mean). Enjoy it, travel a bit, learn how to cook and read some non medical books before everything changes.

Thank you, it seems the only empathy I get nowadays about the process is here; my parents are livid at me that I haven’t heard back from Wayne yet and since they went through Wayne’s medical school back when only GPA and MCAT got you through, they are seriously out of touch with how the whole process works :|

Thank you, it seems the only empathy I get nowadays about the process is here; my parents are livid at me that I haven’t heard back from Wayne yet and since they went through Wayne’s medical school back when only GPA and MCAT got you through, they are seriously out of touch with how the whole process works :|
Yeah, I love the out of touch old timer (no offense to your parents) who believe that getting into medical school is just a matter of having halfway decent grades and an average to slightly above average MCAT. Don't let them get to you too much, the process is so different from even 10 years ago, they just have no clue. Only you know how hard you had to work, and in the end, you will appreciate your acceptance that much more.

I also heard from the aforementioned admissions advisor that the med school is undergoing so many schedule changes because they want to get the school on a semester basis rather than the yearly basis they currently are on so that their med school matches more closely with their undergrad campus. Not sure why, just letting you know what she (Diane I think her name was) told me. Maybe some current students could corroborate....?

Just received my invite to 2nd look day... Wayne is not my first choice, but the invite mentioned the opportunity to compete for a scholarship with an in-person essay- anybody have any information as to how much the scholarship would be and if it's worth the trip?

Just received my invite to 2nd look day... Wayne is not my first choice, but the invite mentioned the opportunity to compete for a scholarship with an in-person essay- anybody have any information as to how much the scholarship would be and if it's worth the trip?
Heard from a current student that there's one for a full-ride. Idk if that's the only one available to apply though.

Wow, I've been sitting on my butt expecting to at least get an email on my decision, but apparently all I had to do was log into my portal to see that I've been on the waitlist since early March. I now know that I have to check the portal for unprompted updates.

On interview day, I also remember one of the hosts saying that they do accept students up until class is about to start. I want to hope that they will at least be considerate to us OOS students who would literally have to move thousands of miles. We'll see :)

Lmao they’re won’t. I was accepted maybe less than two weeks before we had to start, and someone else was literally accepted the 3 days before orientation. That’s the price we have to pay, but it’s a bittersweet one. And one that will definitely pay off in the end

Anyone know if we are allowed to bring someone with us to second look day?

For any M1s:

There is a friday at the end of August where I need to travel out of state for a family gathering, would friday classes potentially get in the way of this? I'd rather know now and save myself a plane ride if I can't end up going :|

Has anyone who interviewed late January heard back yet? Its about to be 8 weeks of silence for me lol

I just spoke to admissions. The scholarships range from $1000 to $10,000 and it is only for people that can attend second day look, which is a little annoying. Some people literally can't afford to go so it essentially gives people who already have the means to make a trip an extra opportunity to get more money. They suggested writing an email to admissions explaining your situation if you would like to go, but can't afford to for whatever reason. I would suggest every person on here write an email to admissions.