2018-2019 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Might heavily increase tho with the rankings jump and the rumor of no debt tuition
I'd really love an update on this... and you'd think they'd have good reason to give one. On their website it definitely says they're "moving toward debt free," but is that now? A year? In four years so it no longer matters for me? Ha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
really curious where you got this data?

post by @reddyice

Is the data reported by students or actual admissions committees because that would determine how reliable this is
It’s us news so I think it’s from schools, can’t guarantee accuracy though since there have been some discrepancies in the past

Does anyone know if Cornell is able to negotiate the financial aid package? The parental contribution is way too high to make sense..

Also, what would debt-free tuition even look like? How do they differentiate loans allocated for tuition vs living? I know it's all speculative at this point, but I'm just curious.

You can talk to them and if there is a mistake, they will amend it. But EFC was very high in my case and in others’ cases too.

I think debt free would include total COA, so tuition and living up to the budget they set. So basically the unit loan of $29k would be replaced with grant money (which wouldn’t help if your parental contribution was the total COA and you had to take loans to cover that)

Did any of you who got financial aid packages ask about the debt free initiative? Would be a shame if they announced in August or something

Did any of you who got financial aid packages ask about the debt free initiative? Would be a shame if they announced in August or something
Yes, I asked as I was trying to estimate my total debt over the four years and they didn’t give me any more information than what is available on the website.

Has anyone successfully requested a financial aid appeal? My family’s financial situation changed so I submitted an appeal over a month ago and I still haven’t heard back. Called the office early last week and they said they’d have it to me in a day or so but it’s already been another two weeks lol

Low key hope it’s because they’re busy trying to prepare and revise packages to reflect debt-free policy but that might just be me being way unnecessarily hopeful

Has anyone successfully requested a financial aid appeal? My family’s financial situation changed so I submitted an appeal over a month ago and I still haven’t heard back. Called the office early last week and they said they’d have it to me in a day or so but it’s already been another two weeks lol

Low key hope it’s because they’re busy trying to prepare and revise packages to reflect debt-free policy but that might just be me being way unnecessarily hopeful
That'd be nice.

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone have any idea how big the waitlist is? Just trying to understand the chance of getting in here as I debate whether to lease an apartment or not for another school

Members don't see this ad :)
whoever just spam called me from a 212 number just played the meanest prank of all time

Reactions: 4 users
Did we get any info about immunizations? I know there is an AAMC form, but not sure if that’s what they use. I also found a form on their grad school website, but can’t tell if it’s current.

Did we get any info about immunizations? I know there is an AAMC form, but not sure if that’s what they use. I also found a form on their grad school website, but can’t tell if it’s current.
I called them last week about this. They said they will be sending out the forms soon.

Reactions: 2 users

Any word yet? Debt-free has been such a looming "if"

Reactions: 5 users
Can someone tell me for certainty if there is internal ranking during preclinical years? I based my decision of choosing Cornell on the fact that current students told me there wasn’t internal ranking but now other accepted students are saying they heard there is so I just want this clarified

Can someone tell me for certainty if there is internal ranking during preclinical years? I based my decision of choosing Cornell on the fact that current students told me there wasn’t internal ranking but now other accepted students are saying they heard there is so I just want this clarified
There’s no internal ranking during preclinical

Is AOA and ranking during clinical put on your residency app? Or is it released after the match?
Not sure about AOA, but on the MSPE your performance is separated into quartiles. I’m pretty sure it comes from how you do during clerkships, which is the only graded part. After clerkships it’s back to pass/fail

Not sure about AOA, but on the MSPE your performance is separated into quartiles. I’m pretty sure it comes from how you do during clerkships, which is the only graded part. After clerkships it’s back to pass/fail

Thank you!

low key got a false alarm 212 call this morning and freaked out

literally got a voicemail from the admissions office... but it just said "oops we sent you the wrong email, disregard"

there's only so much my poor heart can take :scared:

literally got a voicemail from the admissions office... but it just said "oops we sent you the wrong email, disregard"

there's only so much my poor heart can take :scared:
That is literally sadistic

Which email where they referring to?

That is literally sadistic

Which email where they referring to?

maybe they'll offer me an acceptance for emotional damages :laugh:

I sent them a copy of my final transcript and the auto-responder when it's received says "see you in August" haha

maybe they'll offer me an acceptance for emotional damages :laugh:

I sent them a copy of my final transcript and the auto-responder when it's received says "see you in August" haha
oh my goodness that is so rough

For those of you that were accepted off of waitlists, how long did it take financial aid to get back to you with a package after submitting all the necessary documents??

For those of you that were accepted off of waitlists, how long did it take financial aid to get back to you with a package after submitting all the necessary documents??

Sorry I don’t have a response to your question but did you get off the waitlist recently?

Last year there were reported acceptances on May 23, June 5, and June 21... so maybe there's still hope... and maybe it's just slowed down this year by the PTE/CTE confusion

Last year there were reported acceptances on May 23, June 5, and June 21... so maybe there's still hope... and maybe it's just slowed down this year by the PTE/CTE confusion
That seems to be what @gyngyn is saying over in the waitlist thread—that he anticipates movement picking up in June

The waitlist is still moving - had a friend accepted off the waitlist earlier this week

When they sent the "would you like to stay on the WL" email after 4/30, do they also send a confirmation email to you if you say yes you would like to remain on the WL? Just want to make sure I'm still on it haha....

Anybody contact the admissions office regarding the waitlist? I’m not sure how much we can interpret from this but the FB group has ~160 students, which likely include lots of current students. Since the accepted FB group of last year had ~280, then there should be a good chunk of WL movement remaining. Especially since it seems to have been slower than previous years due to traffic rule changes.

Anybody contact the admissions office regarding the waitlist? I’m not sure how much we can interpret from this but the FB group has ~160 students, which likely include lots of current students. Since the accepted FB group of last year had ~280, then there should be a good chunk of WL movement remaining. Especially since it seems to have been slower than previous years due to traffic rule changes.
I actually called earlier today and they told me the class was full. She said to maybe expect some movement in June/July (as not all students have "committed to enroll", so some students might get off the waitlist at another school and drop their Cornell spot) but that it will be much slower than waitlist movement in May. sad face

Reactions: 3 users
I suspect that there will be less than 5% movement in the class at that time.
Maybe I’m being a bit optimistic, but that seems too low. Cornell historically has low yield (~35 percent according to US News). Although you can argue that the yield will be higher this year due to the recent rank increase and rumors of free tuition, It unlikely to increase significantly. I suspect that most of the class right now is PTE and waiting on their top choice waitlists, and those “top” schools are trying to figure out their PTE situation. It’s possible that across the board students will get stuck in their PTE, but I think/hope that the waitlist will start moving. I suspect that the last 20% of the matriculating class to Cornell will come from waitlist offers in June/July.

Currently on the waitlist, and my current school’s CTE deadline falls before Cornell’s... it probably wouldn’t have made a difference, but still makes me bitter to think that I may be forced to remove myself from the running before when supposed waitlist movement might happen (Cornell’s CTE deadline) :confused:

This year the FB group was created later than past years on purpose in the hopes that it won’t be filled with as many students who decide to matriculate elsewhere, so I doubt it’ll go up to 280 like last year.

just withdrew my waitlist spot! good luck to everyone!