2018-2019 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For post-interview updates, are we supposed to just email them to the admissions email?

Members don't see this ad :)
For post-interview updates, are we supposed to just email them to the admissions email?
I sent it to the normal admissions email and they replied saying this:
"In the future, please send any such updates to [email protected], attaching your update as a Word or PDF file with the file name in the following format: lastname_firstname_AAMCID_ date. You will receive a confirmation email. Please do not include other queries or information in the email; questions should be directed to our main email address."

I sent it to the normal admissions email and they replied saying this:
"In the future, please send any such updates to [email protected], attaching your update as a Word or PDF file with the file name in the following format: lastname_firstname_AAMCID_ date. You will receive a confirmation email. Please do not include other queries or information in the email; questions should be directed to our main email address."
Yeah, they send a post-interview email said:

You may send us occasional, substantive application updates if appropriate. Please send any such updates to [email protected], attaching your update as a Word or PDF file with the file name in the following format: lastname_firstname_AAMCID_ date. You will receive a confirmation email. Please do not include other queries or information in the email; questions should be directed to our main email address.

Pre-II R, LizzyM - 72. Uber bummed cuz I recently got my Masters from here :(. Applied MSTP complete 8/10 & got sent to MD pool on 9/14.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II today. Three days available in February - 21, 26, and 28!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have an idea of how many people are left in the pool for IIs? I find it very odd that I haven't gotten the R yet, especially since the other T20 schools have not interviewed me lol

Does anyone have an idea of how many people are left in the pool for IIs? I find it very odd that I haven't gotten the R yet, especially since the other T20 schools have not interviewed me lol

I suppose based on that he quoted 3 available days...if they interview 10 people each day, somewhere between 0 and 30 remaining slots. Perhaps they're being conservative and seeing if people accept invites.

If you're asking about how many of us are still waiting, that's pretty difficult to guess.

Fingers crossed!

By the way, I think I remember someone posting that WCMC hopes to adopt the NYU free tuition approach in the next couple of years. Does anyone know if this is still being considered or if this has any truth to it?

Last August after NYU announced, Cornell released an article saying "we will continue our efforts until we achieve debt-free medical education for our students. ... we recognize that they (initiatives listed above) are just a start. Extensive discussions and planning that have taken place over the past year as part of Strategic Plan 4 has focused squarely on the issue of student tuition, debt, and scholarships. As we finalize the vision for Weill Cornell Medicine's next strategic plan, please be assured that our goal of achieving debt-free education for our medical students will be centrally addressed."

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not saying that means that Cornell will do it in the near future, but it seems like they are working on it. To me - whether they will do it in the near future is a consideration. I do not want to be like the people who declined NYU last year just to find out it would have been free!

Last August after NYU announced, Cornell released an article saying "we will continue our efforts until we achieve debt-free medical education for our students. ... we recognize that they (initiatives listed above) are just a start. Extensive discussions and planning that have taken place over the past year as part of Strategic Plan 4 has focused squarely on the issue of student tuition, debt, and scholarships. As we finalize the vision for Weill Cornell Medicine's next strategic plan, please be assured that our goal of achieving debt-free education for our medical students will be centrally addressed."
i know this has probably been asked many times but what is the difference between free tuition and debt free tuition?

like if you have to pay all of your tuition (no aid/scholarships), and have to take on loans how is debt free any different from regular free?

i know this has probably been asked many times but what is the difference between free tuition and debt free tuition?

like if you have to pay all of your tuition (no aid/scholarships), and have to take on loans how is debt free any different from regular free?
Free tuition just means no tuition. You still have to pay living expenses. Debt-free has the potential of being both tuition free & with all living expenses paid, depending on your financial need. It also has the potential of being much less than that, again depending on your financial need.

Reactions: 1 users

Debt-free means that the financial aid awards will come in the form of grants, not loans. But many of your parents will still be expected to contribute a lot of money that they do not really have for your medical school. They may have earmarked that money for younger siblings private elementary or high school tuition, or for their own retirement savings or to help their elderly parents get care that is not reimbursed by insurance/Medicare. They may be saving it for your siblings' college in the future. You might be an independent adult, married with children and your parents may be finished, psychologically at least, supporting you financially. But debt-free schools will not care - they will still expect your parents to contribute.

Tuition-free schools like NYU will pay for ALL students' educations, regardless of parental income (they generally do not cover the cost of living expenses, but may do so for some very poor kids).

If your family is relatively poor or lower middle class, you are probably better off at a debt-free school, as their calculations for your grants take into account your living expenses. If your family is upper-middle class, you probably want to go to a tuition-free school. If your family is very rich, it will not matter. If your family is very poor, it will not matter either, bc both types of schools will find the $$$ for you, esp if you are a great applicant.

Yes, free tuition = no tuition. Whereas debt-free means no loans, but tuition will still be expected to be paid either by parental/student contributions or grant money from the school.

Yes parental income and savings are taken into account and a parental contribution may be put on your financial aid report even if your parents don't give you that money - but in theory debt-free programs can be more effective. NYU for ex. gave free tuition even to very wealthy students. That money for the wealthy student's tuition could have been used to allow another student to join the class or for rent/living expenses for a poorer student, which is still a large chunk of money in NYC for four years. Many NYU students will still need loans to cover the reality of COA. Using a debt-free philosophy at a well-endowed school would require wealthy students to pay, but it should result in no students taking out loans, which is the overarching goal.

Low-key hope that this announcement happens after the school year starts. I feel like this announcement will make their yield (and their matriculant stats) jump a couple points. My GPA is borderline here and maybe it's irrational but I am worried that this will make it even less likely I end up here.

Low-key hope that this announcement happens after the school year starts. I feel like this announcement will make their yield (and their matriculant stats) jump a couple points. My GPA is borderline here and maybe it's irrational but I am worried that this will make it even less likely I end up here.

not irrational... I am hoping for the same thing

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, free tuition = no tuition. Whereas debt-free means no loans, but tuition will still be expected to be paid either by parental/student contributions or grant money from the school.

Yes parental income and savings are taken into account and a parental contribution may be put on your financial aid report even if your parents don't give you that money - but in theory debt-free programs can be more effective. NYU for ex. gave free tuition even to very wealthy students. That money for the wealthy student's tuition could have been used to allow another student to join the class or for rent/living expenses for a poorer student, which is still a large chunk of money in NYC for four years. Many NYU students will still need loans to cover the reality of COA. Using a debt-free philosophy at a well-endowed school would require wealthy students to pay, but it should result in no students taking out loans, which is the overarching goal.
The only problem with this is that virtually no STUDENTS are wealthy. It is their PARENTS who may be well-off. And we med school faculty keep saying we want adults to come to our medical school. And most adults do not ask their parents for money. Based on my interactions with medical students over decades, the ideal medical student is at least 24-26yo and has been living independently and working for a few years and is no longer dependent on their parents when they start medical school. In my experience, these students end up on the losing end financially. Parents of a 25yo who has been out of school for a few years do not consider med school tuition an obligation they need to take on.

Obviously, if parents are very wealthy, and agree to pay, that is one thing. But there are large swaths of parents who are comfortable, but not wealthy and who are not in a position to contribute much to a medical school education of 75k-85K per year, especially after paying as much as 50K per year, per kid for private school tuition and then up to 65-70K college tuition per kid. My own friends, most of whom are economically ok but not rich, would not be able to pay for medical school after paying for 16+ years of education for each kid. They now need to save for their own retirement, make long-needed repairs to their houses, provide support to elderly parents, save for younger siblings education, etc. It does seem unfair that a student from a lower middle income family might graduate with no debt, while an adult classmate might graduate with 300K+ in debt. I don't know the answer here. But there is a big difference between undergrad and medical school in this debate - kids go to college (and parents should pay as much as they can for their kids); adults go to med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
The only problem with this is that virtually no STUDENTS are wealthy. It is their PARENTS who may be well-off. And we med school faculty keep saying we want adults to come to our medical school. And most adults do not ask their parents for money. Based on my interactions with medical students over decades, the ideal medical student is about 24-26yo and has been living independently and working for a few years and is no longer dependent on their parents when they start medical school. In my experience, these students end up on the losing end financially. Parents of a 25yo who has been out of school for a few years do not consider med school tuition an obligation they need to take on.

Obviously, if parents are very wealthy, and agree to pay, that is one thing. But there are large swaths of parents who are comfortable, but not wealthy and who are not in a position to contribute much to a medical school education of 75k-85K per year, especially after paying as much as 50K per year, per kid for private school tuition and then up to 65-70K college tuition per kid. My own friends, most of whom are economically ok but not rich, would not be able to pay for medical school after paying for 16+ years of education for each kid. They now need to save for their own retirement, make long-needed repairs to their houses, provide support to elderly parents, save for younger siblings education, etc. It does seem unfair that a student from a lower middle income family might graduate with no debt, while an adult classmate might graduate with 300K+ in debt. I don't know the answer here. But there is a big difference between undergrad and medical school in this debate - kids go to college (and parents should pay as much as they can for their kids); adults go to med school.
Thank you! Very well said. Even if a parent is making 6 figures, there’s no guarantee that they can afford to drop 85K of that towards a medical education. The only people who can afford that easily are millionaires, and idk how many of them you’ll find in med school (I think they’d be a little further down in the city at Wall St).

is anyone still waiting for an II? I have been complete for months and literally have heard nothing from them

is anyone still waiting for an II? I have been complete for months and literally have heard nothing from them
I had 2 high stat advisees apply here - between them, they got interviews at NYU, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Mt Sinai, Mayo, Vandy, Columbia, UCSF, UCLA, BU. They did not get II or rejections yet from Cornell. Of note, these 2 also never heard from Duke, Case, GW, Georgetown, Emory, Brown, and both just recently got pre-II R from Tufts, Dartmouth, Baylor. (Complete dates were late sept due to undergrad not submitting their committee letters until VERY late, which did not appear to hurt them for top schools, but certainly seems to have hurt them for lower-ranked schools).

Last edited:
Do we know what day decisions come out? I can't remember if they told us during interview day and I can't find it in the folder they gave us.

Do we know what day decisions come out? I can't remember if they told us during interview day and I can't find it in the folder they gave us.
They came out March 8th last year so I’m guessing around then!!

They said mid-March. No specific date so no use in guessing.

Think it was a thursday early march the past 3-4 years so imma say March 7th 2019, but total guess tbh

When is the last interview day? wondering why i haven't been rejected yet but haven't gotten an interview either

Reactions: 4 users
When is the last interview day? wondering why i haven't been rejected yet but haven't gotten an interview either

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

(Coming from a reapplicant)

Also finally got the pre-II R. Good luck to all those who interviewed!