2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they have any rotations sites outside of WV? In NY?

"The Statewide Campus system at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine consists of seven regions across the state where third- and fourth-year medical students fulfill their clinical rotations in participating West Virginia hospitals."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"The Statewide Campus system at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine consists of seven regions across the state where third- and fourth-year medical students fulfill their clinical rotations in participating West Virginia hospitals."
Great, thank you

Cumberland Maryland. The rest are West Virginia. You can go anywhere during 4th year though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted call today !!!! So excited, will definitely go here

Reactions: 1 users
Also was accepted today! I love this school. Very tough decision to make between WVSOM and DCOM at LMU-Knoxville. Any wisdom on this for me?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also was accepted today! I love this school. Very tough decision to make between WVSOM and DCOM at LMU-Knoxville. Any wisdom on this for me?

If you have interest in rural medicine/PC WVSOM is about as good of a choice as you can make

Sent from my LG-D850 using SDN mobile

There are also rotation sites in Kentucky, Ohio, & Maryland as well, just the majority of them are in West Virginia.

Can anyone provide insight on the best way to get to campus from New York, possible cheap hotels in the area, and renting a car maybe?

Can anyone provide insight on the best way to get to campus from New York, possible cheap hotels in the area, and renting a car maybe?

Recently interviewed from NYC. I flew into Greenbrier(LWB) airport and they have some car rental services right at the entrance. I stayed at the holiday inn which was an 8 minute drive from the airport and 5 minute drive from the school. This hotel didn't have any airport shuttle though so if you're looking for one that does I would recommend checking out the hotels listed on the school website. Also I was told uber and taxi services tend to stop around 5PM when I was there.

Interviewed 12/17. Accepted 12/18. Very impressed by how quick they responded!

Reactions: 3 users
Recently interviewed from NYC. I flew into Greenbrier(LWB) airport and they have some car rental services right at the entrance. I stayed at the holiday inn which was an 8 minute drive from the airport and 5 minute drive from the school. This hotel didn't have any airport shuttle though so if you're looking for one that does I would recommend checking out the hotels listed on the school website. Also I was told uber and taxi services tend to stop around 5PM when I was there.
So what are the total expenses from your experience? Is there a cheaper way? Flights are going for about $350

So what are the total expenses from your experience? Is there a cheaper way? Flights are going for about $350

If you plan on renting a car then it might be worth looking into flights into Roanoke and then driving (2ish hours) to Lewisburg, flights there should be cheaper. I've decided that I am just going to make the 5+ hour drive from the mid-atlantic rather than mess around with flights to LWB, because they are very expensive

I believe it is about 90 min drive from Roanoke and 2 hours from Lynchburg. Roanoke is usually cheaper flights.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on renting a car then it might be worth looking into flights into Roanoke and then driving (2ish hours) to Lewisburg, flights there should be cheaper. I've decided that I am just going to make the 5+ hour drive from the mid-atlantic rather than mess around with flights to LWB, because they are very expensive
Great, I’ll look into this. The drive for me is roughly 8 hours so I’d def rather take a flight if it’s not too expensive. Are there any hotels nearby that are decent and inexpensive?

Does anyone know how often people get taken off of decision deferred to interview?

Do you think I should be concerned? My application was submitted 10/15 and still says application under review. It says 6-8 weeks but has it taken longer for other applicants?

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using SDN mobile

Can anyone provide details about the curriculum and living expenses?

II today as well. Complete July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't address curriculum, but does provide a pretty nice estimate of expenses: Educational Costs | West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Can anyone provide details about the curriculum and living expenses?

After talking with current students at my interview, my understanding is that some of the indirect expenses are over-budgeted on the website. For example, WVSOM budgets $800 for rent plus around $370 for utilities ($1170 total monthly rent), which is way higher than what most students pay.

Current students: Please correct me if this info is incorrect!

After talking with current students at my interview, my understanding is that some of the indirect expenses are over-budgeted on the website. For example, WVSOM budgets $800 for rent plus around $370 for utilities ($1170 total monthly rent), which is way higher than what most students pay.

We rent the basement of our house (I’m current student too) to another student for 850 including all utilities (internet as well). It’s one bedroom one bathroom with a living room and full kitchen. Relatively new too, for reference. Current tenant will be moving in June if anyone is interested :)

The only thing you need to look at is that it's a 10 month budget, it doesn't account for the summer months. I currently spend $845 per month with a 1 bedroom. A lot of my friends pay around $500 + utilities with a roommate

The only thing you need to look at is that it's a 10 month budget, it doesn't account for the summer months. I currently spend $845 per month with a 1 bedroom. A lot of my friends pay around $500 + utilities with a roommate

Do you know of any popular places for rent that are pet friendly and close to the school? I prefer 2br, 2ba but no roommate. Thanks!

Do you know of any popular places for rent that are pet friendly and close to the school? I prefer 2br, 2ba but no roommate. Thanks!

Yes check out Woodland Acres & Blackbird Villages, both within walking distance to school & allow pets!

Interview for Friday!!! Just received the call this morning I am so grateful for this amazing opportunity!!!

Reactions: 3 users
is anyone else worried about this school being in the middle of nowhere and the lack of diversity.. or just me?

is anyone else worried about this school being in the middle of nowhere and the lack of diversity.. or just me?
Their claim to fame is the fact that they are number one in the nation in graduating students who practice in rural areas/Appalachia. Being in the middle of nowhere is a major plus for me personally and the main reason I applied there. These are the kind of areas I eventually want to practice in.

Reactions: 2 users
II today. Any Airbnb or cheaper places to stay in the area?

II today. Any Airbnb or cheaper places to stay in the area?

https://abnb.me/tXBOW8JqnT

I’m a current student and Airbnb a room in my house. There are some other options on Airbnb too that are a lot cheaper than hotels too. Might be worth checking out.

It might be in the middle of nowhere, but there is plenty to do. There are restaurants for days around here and if you love outdoors, this is the place to be.

Diversity in the area is not much........diversity in the school is good. The school accepts students from diverse backgrounds, but you'll still see primarily white people even then.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has submitted an academic update to the AACOMAS website. I have also sent them my most recent transcript, and submitted the academic update on the first date possible, December 14th. I have yet to have this coursework verified, which will provide a boost in my GPA. I would really like to have this updated before my interview at WVSOM. I was just wondering if anyone else has been verified/ making sure I'm not the only one that it is wondering why it is taking so long. Let me know, and Good Luck!!

I had the same issue. I called them today and they verified my transcripts. I would just call AACOMAS and ask to see what is going on with your transcript update.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has submitted an academic update to the AACOMAS website. I have also sent them my most recent transcript, and submitted the academic update on the first date possible, December 14th. I have yet to have this coursework verified, which will provide a boost in my GPA. I would really like to have this updated before my interview at WVSOM. I was just wondering if anyone else has been verified/ making sure I'm not the only one that it is wondering why it is taking so long. Let me know, and Good Luck!!
If you already have an interview here, then don't worry about getting the update in.......obviously still send it, but it doesn't need to be verified before your interview. Bring a copy of your most recent transcript (doesn't need to be official) to your interview and give it to your interviewers. This is your best opportunity to talk about how you have been working hard to improve your grades and prepare for med school. Don't tell them about how you raised your GPA and that you've been working hard to do that......talk about how you have changed your study style (if you have) and how that has helped prepare you for the rigors of medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think I should be concerned? My application was submitted 10/15 and still says application under review. It says 6-8 weeks but has it taken longer for other applicants?

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using SDN mobile
Does anyone know how often people get taken off of decision deferred to interview?

Both posts: the best way to get an interview is to show them you care and really want to go there. Therefore, I highly recommend that you call them. I remember when I applied I just cold called them because I wasn't getting a response and they offered me an interview on the spot while I was on the phone with them - this is because I showed them I cared enough about the school to make a personal phone call.

Both posts: the best way to get an interview is to show them you care and really want to go there. Therefore, I highly recommend that you call them. I remember when I applied I just cold called them because I wasn't getting a response and they offered me an interview on the spot while I was on the phone with them - this is because I showed them I cared enough about the school to make a personal phone call.
Thanks! I just got an II last week.

For people who called to get an update on their status & ended up getting an interview, how long after you called did it take for you to receive an interview invite?

Late to post
II 12/17
Accepted 12/18

Reluctantly I am deferring my admission offer. I loved the campus and faculty! Best of luck to everyone with an upcoming interview.

Late to post
II 12/17
Accepted 12/18

Reluctantly I am deferring my admission offer. I loved the campus and faculty! Best of luck to everyone with an upcoming interview.
Where are you going instead?

Just got the call a few minutes ago ~10:30am EST

Interviewed 01/04
Accepted 01/16

Thought the school was absolutely lovely

Reactions: 4 users