2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted just now! Interviewed 1/10. SC resident with strong ties to WV.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call from Danny. I’m going to be a doctor!

Crazy excited about this program and location. Nothing but positive things to say about the interview day and visit.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got my II today! Been complete since end of July! I really feel good about this school because of everything everyone has said about this place, but I have to ask, do the board 1st time pass rates scare anyone?

Finally got my II today! Been complete since end of July! I really feel good about this school because of everything everyone has said about this place, but I have to ask, do the board 1st time pass rates scare anyone?
What is their first time pass rate?

What is their first time pass rate?
On their website it says the 2016-2017 pass rate is about 87%, which doesn’t necessarily sound bad, but it’s just below average isn’t it?

Reactions: 1 user
On their website it says the 2016-2017 pass rate is about 87%, which doesn’t necessarily sound bad, but it’s just below average isn’t it?
Yeah that isn't terrible but its not great either. Most schools are 90-95% and above

Yeah that isn't terrible but its not great either. Most schools are 90-95% and above
During my interview, I asked them why it was so low. They said something along the lines of the curriculum/ test questions not being similar enough to board questions

During my interview, I asked them why it was so low. They said something along the lines of the curriculum/ test questions not being similar enough to board questions

Is that something they plan to change/improve? Looks like they would want their test questions to be similar to board questions.

To anyone that has already interviewed, can you please give me some more insight on the structure of it? (Like 1v1, 1v2, open vs closed, types of questions(any curve balls). Im interviewing next month and any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, I'm flying from California. What are the recommendations for airports and hotels?

Please PM or respond to this.

Thank You and good luck to all

So.....

You will arrive at the admissions office at 8:00am or so. You will wait in the seating area for anywhere between 15 min- 1.5 hours socializing with the other interviewees while you wait your turn for the interview. Interview is 3v1,open file, and questions are fairly much related to your application. Thus, review your primary and secondary applications you sent to them. I didn't feel like any questions were "out of the blue". My interview lasted like 45 mins because I had several questions after the interview too.

Buyer beware on this advice though because there was another interview room in session during my interview day, and applicants who interviewed in this room mentioned that the questions seemed to give off a closed-file vibe. In addition, their interviews only lasted like 15-20 mins. So it seems like the two interview rooms might be ran differently. However, I wouldn't be worried by this. Be yourself, know your application, and we will see you in the Fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass Rate is very low......in fact one of the lowest in the country. The curriculum was changed a year and a half ago so those students will be taking the boards in the next 6 months so we'll see how it does. Some professors are good at writing board style questions and others just aren't. I'm not taking chances on the curriculum being better though because I personally don't think it is. I've been studying for boards along with 1st year material with that in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I have my interview here on thursday and I am super excited! Does anyone have any advice for the interview? What type of questions should I be prepared for? Any political/healthcare ones, or are they all about your application and you as a person?
I had interviewed and gotten into Pikeville, and theirs was very laid back, so I'm hoping this one is too!

Hey guys! I have my interview here on thursday and I am super excited! Does anyone have any advice for the interview? What type of questions should I be prepared for? Any political/healthcare ones, or are they all about your application and you as a person?
I had interviewed and gotten into Pikeville, and theirs was very laid back, so I'm hoping this one is too!
Please read the thread......this has been posted many many times

......lol, got post #666......Sick!

Last edited:
To anyone that has already interviewed, can you please give me some more insight on the structure of it? (Like 1v1, 1v2, open vs closed, types of questions(any curve balls). Im interviewing next month and any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, I'm flying from California. What are the recommendations for airports and hotels?

Please PM or respond to this.

Thank You and good luck to all
Hey so I'm also from California... the flight to Lewisburg was super expensive and there's only 1 little airport there. I stayed at an Airbnb that was basically across the street from campus, so I was able to just walk to the interview. Note: there is only 1 taxi there, so plan way ahead of time if you want to go someone driving distance and don't want to rent a car (it takes like 30 mins for the taxi to get to where you are).

Hey so I'm also from California... the flight to Lewisburg was super expensive and there's only 1 little airport there. I stayed at an Airbnb that was basically across the street from campus, so I was able to just walk to the interview. Note: there is only 1 taxi there, so plan way ahead of time if you want to go someone driving distance and don't want to rent a car (it takes like 30 mins for the taxi to get to where you are).
Are there any uber or lyfts?

I rented a car for $60 for 2 days. Very cheap

How did anyone who interviewed here manage flying (if you had to fly)? I'm coming out of Florida and the flights are incredibly expensive ($500+) from Greenbrier, Roanoke, and Yeager. Any recommendations/tips for finding a cheaper flight? Or is it just a bullet I have to take? I even tried different interview dates and the prices were still fairly the same. Help?!:bigtears:

Hey guys, I'm a first time user. I interviewed last week and was put on the alternate list today. I was wondering if anyone can attest to the alternate list movement. Do alot of people generally move off of it? not sure if it was answered in a earlier post.

How did anyone who interviewed here manage flying (if you had to fly)? I'm coming out of Florida and the flights are incredibly expensive ($500+) from Greenbrier, Roanoke, and Yeager. Any recommendations/tips for finding a cheaper flight? Or is it just a bullet I have to take? I even tried different interview dates and the prices were still fairly the same. Help?!:bigtears:

My flight from Arizona was $650, not including hotel fees. I bought the bullet and loved the program, and interview day. You Can’t really get around it. It’s an investment for your future.

Hey everyone. I have given up my seat, so good luck to the rest of you! I really love this school, but Lewisburg doesn’t have all my family needs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi,

I'm also from FL (Miami). I flew into Greenbrier which is 5 minutes down the road from some decent hotels and 10 minutes away from WVSOM so I definitely recommend it if you do not want to make the 10-16 hour drive from Florida. The Greenbrier airport flies united and it hubs in DC (Dulles) and Chicago (ORD), and there's one flight in and one flight out each day for each airport. What I did is buy one way flights from Miami to DC and from DC to Greenbrier. Roundtrip it ended up being a little under 500. It was very stressful with all the snow and delays in the flights, and I wish I had just driven up, because it ended up being a 20 hours total travel time to get to Lewisburg and I did not feel well rested for my interview.

My flight from Arizona was $650, not including hotel fees. I bought the bullet and loved the program, and interview day. You Can’t really get around it. It’s an investment for your future.
Hi,

I'm also from FL (Miami). I flew into Greenbrier which is 5 minutes down the road from some decent hotels and 10 minutes away from WVSOM so I definitely recommend it if you do not want to make the 10-16 hour drive from Florida. The Greenbrier airport flies united and it hubs in DC (Dulles) and Chicago (ORD), and there's one flight in and one flight out each day for each airport. What I did is buy one way flights from Miami to DC and from DC to Greenbrier. Roundtrip it ended up being a little under 500. It was very stressful with all the snow and delays in the flights, and I wish I had just driven up, because it ended up being a 20 hours total travel time to get to Lewisburg and I did not feel well rested for my interview.

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I know the school is worth making the sacrifice for and will definitely just keep it as a reminder in my mind that it is an investment towards my future. I'm in West Palm Beach, so the drive is about 13 hours, and I think it is just too much to do in such a short time frame. However, I will definitely weigh all options and either way, will definitely be making the trip to WVSOM. Thank you guys again!

Hey guys, I'm a first time user. I interviewed last week and was put on the alternate list today. I was wondering if anyone can attest to the alternate list movement. Do alot of people generally move off of it? not sure if it was answered in a earlier post.
Alternate list sees a lot of movement. They might have filled up their class already and be interviewing for the alternate list now.

Alternate list sees a lot of movement. They might have filled up their class already and be interviewing for the alternate list now.
yep they are. and thanks, I checked the last year's thread and they have alot of movement towards march (b/c of the second deposit deadline). fingers crossed!

Dang! I won't intrude on your family time. Haha. Just wanted someone to talk with about last minute jitters! Guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow, good luck!

Sent from my SM-N900P using SDN mobile
Haha no worries. Thanks, you too! PM me if you had anything you wanted to talk about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I also recommend checking out the Facebook page for all accepted students. A lot of people are posting pics/info of various places for rent. Also, for class of 2023, first day of orientation is Monday, July 22!

I sent my II on 1/10 still waiting for an invitation. Getting nervous.

I sent my II on 1/10 still waiting for an invitation. Getting nervous.
just be patient, it will come! :)
I'm debating on whether I should send in my secondaries for this school at this point lol
there are way to many questions and I'm not in the mood of writiing them anymore sigh

i wonder if this school is worth it :pompous:

just be patient, it will come! :)
I'm debating on whether I should send in my secondaries for this school at this point lol
there are way to many questions and I'm not in the mood of writiing them anymore sigh

i wonder if this school is worth it :pompous:

If you are really considering this school, I would go ahead and send in the secondary. Even if you have to take a gap year, you will already have your application sent in and even possibly score an interview. They may tell you that you are interviewing for the 2020 semester, but if you get accepted, then you will already be way ahead! I have spoken with students at the school who interviewed late and still made it in because of spots opening up. It’s something to think about and I think the school is definitely worth it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any point in attending interview st this school if I have an acceptance at VCOM- Auburn? I’m from Florida so the drive would be very long (14 hrs) and the flight tickets are extremely expensive. Would anyone choose this school over vcom? I’m assuming if we attend we’re interviewing for the waitlist?

Is the school for sure on the alternate list now? It looks like last week people were accepted and put on the list. Maybe they are just being more picky? Or do they just fill up the class then do the alternate list? Thanks!

Is the school for sure on the alternate list now? It looks like last week people were accepted and put on the list. Maybe they are just being more picky? Or do they just fill up the class then do the alternate list? Thanks!
I think so. I interviewed Friday and was put on the alternate list today as expected

Got accepted today via phone call! Interviewed on Friday. Can't wait for July.

Good luck to everyone else that is still waiting. And to the others that interviewed on Friday, I enjoyed meeting you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Got accepted today via phone call! Interviewed on Friday. Can't wait for July.

Good luck to everyone else that is still waiting. And to the others that interviewed on Friday, I enjoyed meeting you all!

Congrats! I interviewed thursday, fingers crossed I hear back soon!

is anyone else worried about this school being in the middle of nowhere and the lack of diversity.. or just me?
To me, Lewisburg is beautiful. A handful of places to eat, big box stores like walmart, lowes, a furniture store, several chain restaurants. This seems like a lot to me though because i come from a small town myself. Others from larger city areas may not feel the same lol

Late to post
II 12/17
Accepted 12/18

Reluctantly I am deferring my admission offer. I loved the campus and faculty! Best of luck to everyone with an upcoming interview.
Where will you be going instead? and what was your deciding factors? if you dont mind me asking