2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted 1/16

Will be withdrawing my application, although I absolutely loved the campus, people, and facilities.

Hope it goes to one of you guys. Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
where are you going?

I’m not entirely sure yet! I put down my deposit for CCOM, waitlisted at USF, waiting for a decision from NYMC, and have an interview coming up for SUNY Downstate. Where I ultimately end up will entirely depend on the upcoming months, unfortunately.

But I decided on CCOM over WVSOM for personal reasons. It was a tough decision because, quite frankly, I liked the atmosphere at WVSOM much better than CCOM. But, I know I ultimately want to do academic medicine in a big city hospital one day. So, CCOM is the better choice with my end goal in mind (despite the terrifying amount of loans I’ll have to take out).

Any point in attending interview st this school if I have an acceptance at VCOM- Auburn? I’m from Florida so the drive would be very long (14 hrs) and the flight tickets are extremely expensive. Would anyone choose this school over vcom? I’m assuming if we attend we’re interviewing for the waitlist?

That's definitely going to be a personal call, and I think at this point the waitlist is in effect, but, WVSOM has a pretty high acceptance rate for interviewees. I think we calculated that at around 85ish% - Best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted today via phone call! Interviewed on Friday. Can't wait for July.

Good luck to everyone else that is still waiting. And to the others that interviewed on Friday, I enjoyed meeting you all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Congrats! Still anxiously waiting.... I'm guessing that's a waitlist at best. But I enjoyed y'alls company as well. Good luck next year!

Sent from my SM-N900P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hey ya'll. Just wondering what the alt list movement was like and if it's started yet. Interviewed 1/28, placed on the alt list 1/30 (today).

Thanks much and good luck!

I got put on the alternate list as well today! I'm also wondering when they start pulling from it. I fell in love with the school!

II TODAY FOR MARCH!

Any advice for me? I'm super excited!!!

That's definitely going to be a personal call, and I think at this point the waitlist is in effect, but, WVSOM has a pretty high acceptance rate for interviewees. I think we calculated that at around 85ish% - Best wishes!

Where did u get these stats? I just got an II today for march. U think there are still seats left for someone like me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also on the alternate list, although I never received an email. I only found out through my portal. Im wondering if they pull off of the alternate list in order that we interviewed/were placed on it or if they reevaluate or rank us.

Also on the alternate list, although I never received an email. I only found out through my portal. Im wondering if they pull off of the alternate list in order that we interviewed/were placed on it or if they reevaluate or rank us.
I didnt recieve an email either. They do not rank the alternate list, nor do they pull an exact match to the seat they're replacing. (ex. a male oos resident who chose to go to another school being replaced by another male oos resident). They pull who they feel would be a good fit.

I didnt recieve an email either. They do not rank the alternate list, nor do they pull an exact match to the seat they're replacing. (ex. a male oos resident who chose to go to another school being replaced by another male oos resident). They pull who they feel would be a good fit.
So no specific order?

Also: anyone interviewing March 15th?

Last edited:
Thats what I was wondering, the order.

Hopefully they would pull from it in the order that we were placed on it. Thats what I was thinking given the system of rolling admissions. Anyone know??

Last edited:
Placed on alternate list today. Coming from a big city, I surprisingly loved the small town feels in Lewisburg. I would love to get accepted here.

3 interviews, 3 waitlists. Bummer!

Placed on alternate list today. Coming from a big city, I surprisingly loved the small town feels in Lewisburg. I would love to get accepted here.

3 interviews, 3 waitlists. Bummer!

It could have been a rejection, stay positive!! When did you interview if you don't mind me asking?

Alternate list. I hope the movement on AL is good this year.

Alternate list. I hope the movement on AL is good this year.

Also just placed on alternate list. I'm in the same boat as you. I really fell in love with this school when I got to visit.

When did you all interview? I'm waiting to here back from 1/31

I interviewed on 1/31 as well. I have not received the email yet, but my portal shows "alternate list".

Alternate list today from 1/31 interview - happy that it was at least not a rejection! I believe the waitlist is fairly small still as of this point!

Placed on the alternative list today. I interviewed 2/4. They hinted to the group that I interviewed with that people were mostly just going on an alternative list at this point.

I reached out to WVSOM by phone yesterday regarding the status of my application since its been 2 months since I was notified about my secondary submission. The admissions counselor sounded surprised that I have been placed on hold considering my stats and said she will try to get in touch directly with the interviewers. Has anyone experienced slipping through the cracks? Also, do I still stand a chance at an interview at this point? Getting antsy.

I reached out to WVSOM by phone yesterday regarding the status of my application since its been 2 months since I was notified about my secondary submission. The admissions counselor sounded surprised that I have been placed on hold considering my stats and said she will try to get in touch directly with the interviewers. Has anyone experienced slipping through the cracks? Also, do I still stand a chance at an interview at this point? Getting antsy.
Still giving out II's but think they are pretty much WL most people right now.

Placed on the alternative list today. I interviewed 2/4. They hinted to the group that I interviewed with that people were mostly just going on an alternative list at this point.
how many people do they waitlist and what % of them matriculate usually? Im interviewing march 15th and i am guessing ill be put on WL as well.

how many people do they waitlist and what % of them matriculate usually? Im interviewing march 15th and i am guessing ill be put on WL as well.
Good question to ask them.

Has anyone that got waitlisted from 1/31 or 2/1 received an actual email about it yet? I see it on my portal but have not gotten any email.

I havent gotten an email.

Giving up my interview spot on Feb 15th! Thought I should notify everyone on here in case someone can grab it. Best of luck!!!

Has anyone that got waitlisted from 1/31 or 2/1 received an actual email about it yet? I see it on my portal but have not gotten any email.
I received the email same day I saw my status on the portal changed. I interviewed 2/1.

Anyone receive any portal updates?? Seems like changes occur after the committee meets every Tuesday.

Interviewed on 2/11 and was placed on the alternative list today. Does anyone know the percentage of applicants who get off the list?

I wonder why they don't send an email about the waitlist while a few people have received an email.
Interviewed on 2/11 and was placed on the alternative list today. Does anyone know the percentage of applicants who get off the list?
Would be a good question to ask admissions at WVSOM.

@slyfoxmcgee do you know if there is anyone we can contact with regards to this alleged mandatory attendance? This is extremely unsettling to hear and I know a lot of us would be pretty unhappy if this got implemented.. do you know if it is likely to happen?

Just wanted to post this here for transparency - WVSOM is considering instating a mandatory attendance policy. The current proposal is for those who have an overall 85% or less, which is likely more than half the class. Although the first year class voted 124 to 1 against the proposal and cited many reasons why, it seems that the administration is still considering and appears likely to be imposed beginning this coming fall. I included attendance policy as a factor in school decision and think its unfair for the incoming class to not know of proposed changes - especially before paying your second deposit in March.

Also wanted to throw in a plug about the attendance policy. It's based on low board scores and low board pass rates. The school thinks that instituting mandatory attendance will be the fix, but it will not. It has been a sore subject among students already. We are hopeful that it won't go into affect. I have heard a rumor that a certain professor or professors don't like lecturing to 40-50 students and want more of an audience. One such professor tries to tell jokes in class and be the cool guy, but he's really not......anyway, that's part of the problem.

This is kind of disappointing :( attendance is also a big factor for me