2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where did u get these stats? I just got an II today for march. U think there are still seats left for someone like me?

The raw data for that 85% estimate came from the WVSOM Annual Report 2017. Honestly, I would think that they're probably interviewing for wait list slots at this point, but there will be accepted students who decide to not attend, and those seats will likely be filled from the wait list. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Update: I was given a "Hold (Decision Deferred)" today. However, I never submitted a LOR from a DO. So, I was not even expecting them to process my application any further. Just figured I would give an update that they are still actively looking at applications (even non-complete applications) for people still waiting to hear something.

I applied to ATSU-kcom (already rejected) and SOMA, LECOM, PCOM, LMU-DCOM, LECOM, EVCOM and of course WVSOM. Rejections already from LECOM, KCOM and decision deferred from WVSOM.
losing hope a little

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you that are deferred, are you sending updates? or just waiting it out

for those of you that are deferred, are you sending updates? or just waiting it out
I'm not deferred, but it might not hurt to show them you're continued interest (if it is genuine). They are very nice and like to hear from their applicants. And since it's mid-February, it doesn't hurt to try and take your shot. Hope this helps even a little. I understand the wait is brutal.

I'm not deferred, but it might not hurt to show them you're continued interest (if it is genuine). They are very nice and like to hear from their applicants. And since it's mid-February, it doesn't hurt to try and take your shot. Hope this helps even a little. I understand the wait is brutal.
I signed up for a chemistry course (accelerated) to show them that it's not a weak spot but my B- & C+ and it was my lowest score on the MCAT

The campus and my interview experience was fantastic, but I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance and I hope it goes to one of you so don't lose hope! Good things will come!

Reactions: 1 users
Is WVSOM PBL or SBL? Or do you get the option to decide? Also, any word on the mandatory attendance thing?

Nothing new about mandatory attendance. The curriculum committee is trying to research some things. In any case, if they implement a mandatory attendance policy, this school will no longer be a place where a student's voice has meaning. 99% of students don't want this. If the attendance policy goes through, there will be many prospective students who won't be interested in going here. I'll update the forum as soon as we know more.
Yes please! Thank you!

I hope they make the decision before the deadline March 15th.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I’m kinda new to all this, got accepted to WVSOM and thinking of buying a house near by. Anybody know what are the chances that I can stay in Lewisburg or near by for rotation if I want to do either Emergency or Internal Med?

So I’m kinda new to all this, got accepted to WVSOM and thinking of buying a house near by. Anybody know what are the chances that I can stay in Lewisburg or near by for rotation if I want to do either Emergency or Internal Med?

Just be cautious about buying a house then wanting to 100% stay in Lewisburg for rotations. I'm a first year resident now in emergency medicine and WVSOM grad but when we did site selection a few years back Lewisburg was one of the most popular sites for that reason, people bought houses or had families and wanted to stay local. There were a handful that were forced to go to a site much farther away from Lewisburg. Buying a house isn't a terrible idea if you can get roommates to pay your monthly mortgage, but you have to go into it knowing that you might have to move away third year.

The workaround is to have say Beckley as your base site then end up doing most of your rotations in Lewisburg anyway, which is possible. I can't speak on the EM experience in Lewisburg but my base site was in Huntington, WV and my EM rotation there was awesome. You can do your EM rotation at Cabell Huntington Hospital which is a level 2 trauma center and they don't have an EM residency so you get to do everything under the sun.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be cautious about buying a house then wanting to 100% stay in Lewisburg for rotations. I'm a first year resident now in emergency medicine and WVSOM grad but when we did site selection a few years back Lewisburg was one of the most popular sites for that reason, people bought houses or had families and wanted to stay local. There were a handful that were forced to go to a site much farther away from Lewisburg. Buying a house isn't a terrible idea if you can get roommates to pay your monthly mortgage, but you have to go into it knowing that you might have to move away third year.

The workaround is to have say Beckley as your base site then end up doing most of your rotations in Lewisburg anyway, which is possible. I can't speak on the EM experience in Lewisburg but my base site was in Huntington, WV and my EM rotation there was awesome. You can do your EM rotation at Cabell Huntington Hospital which is a level 2 trauma center and they don't have an EM residency so you get to do everything under the sun.

I can confirm this as well. I'm a second year and Lewisburg went to lottery this year. There were 8 people for 6 slots this year. I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a house unless you are comfortable leaving and trying to sell it after two years (or renting it out I guess)

wowwww ! Thank you so much for this information!

Just got an e-mail back from Mr. Seams. Said that the attendance policy will not change. Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 4 users
Can anybody say how their interview exeprience was? Was it pretty conversational or did they ask a lot of questions? I’m interviewing on Thursday and I would appreciate some peace of mind

Can anybody say how their interview exeprience was? Was it pretty conversational or did they ask a lot of questions? I’m interviewing on Thursday and I would appreciate some peace of mind
Super conversational. They just want to get to know you better. You have an interview so they think you're great already. Know your application well and express your interest in rural/primary care. There are not trying to trick you.

Interviewed 2/25, waitlisted this morning. They did emphasize a lot during the day how it is late in the cycle and we may be getting put on hold, but overall I thought the interview experience was great! Everyone was super nice and friendly. I just hope w fast turnaround isn’t a bad thing

Interviewed 2/25, waitlisted this morning. They did emphasize a lot during the day how it is late in the cycle and we may be getting put on hold, but overall I thought the interview experience was great! Everyone was super nice and friendly. I just hope w fast turnaround isn’t a bad thing

same!! Interviewed 2/25 and got waitlisted this morning.

Very laid back interview. Nothing to be nervous about. Open app interview so brush up on your primary and secondary app. Be sure to ask questions and keep in mind you are essentially being interviewed the whole day, so make sure to engage with the other applicants. Also, having lunch with the current med students is a great time for questions and to make a good impression. The med students will be paying attention to what kind of applicant you are. Best of luck!

Does anyone know when the health technical standards and immunization forms are due?

Was accepted in December and deposited and will be giving up my seat! Hope it goes to one of y’all!! Wvsom will always have a place in my heart since it was my first acceptance

Has anyone asked about the chance of coming off the alternate list? Is there much movement at all?

Has anyone asked about the chance of coming off the alternate list? Is there much movement at all?

Just interviewed here recently, I asked Kim LaBrie this question while I was there, and she said that they typically see a lot of movement which starts to happen around March 15th (the day their second deposit is due). Still waiting on my initial decision, but really hoping to move off the waitlist if I get a spot on it. Loved this school and the area! Good luck to you!

Just interviewed here recently, I asked Kim LaBrie this question while I was there, and she said that they typically see a lot of movement which starts to happen around March 15th (the day their second deposit is due). Still waiting on my initial decision, but really hoping to move off the waitlist if I get a spot on it. Loved this school and the area! Good luck to you!
Thanks, good luck to you as well man! I am just getting worried at this point, but I know patience is huge. Do you know if Wvsom still does roll over acceptances?

Also, does anyone know how they pull from the alternate list? Wondering if they pull from it in the order that we were placed on it or if they reevaluate us/ strongest candidates first.

Thanks, good luck to you as well man! I am just getting worried at this point, but I know patience is huge. Do you know if Wvsom still does roll over acceptances?

I’m actually not positive about roll over admissions, that wasn’t mentioned at all during my interview day!

Also, does anyone know how they pull from the alternate list? Wondering if they pull from it in the order that we were placed on it or if they reevaluate us/ strongest candidates first.

My understanding is that once the class is filled (which I think it pretty much 99% is currently), the admissions committee will meet once a week from that point assessing who they feel that is currently on the waitlist is the best fit for the school. I don’t believe it is a formal ranked waitlist, but I don’t believe it’s first come first serve either. I was told that they really do see a lot of movement, though, and the current students I spoke with mentioned that a large part of their class was filled from the waitlist!

Does anyone the last day of interviews for this school? I have a friend hoping to still receive an interview here.

Does anyone the last day of interviews for this school? I have a friend hoping to still receive an interview here.
I think they interview through March, so my guess would be the last invites were sent out already.

Yes, WVSOM does roll-over acceptances.

Under my checklist, my transcripts were added and highlighted in blue and it says under review. a good sign? or meaningless?

Under my checklist, my transcripts were added and highlighted in blue and it says under review. a good sign? or meaningless?
From what I looked at in previous year threads, it doesn’t seem to mean anything. Mine was also added in blue around 1.5 weeks ago.

I just received the call this morning, I’m going to be a doctor! I am thrilled to be attending WVSOM this fall, and can’t wait to meet everyone. Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision, I’m rooting for you all!

I just received the call this morning, I’m going to be a doctor! I am thrilled to be attending WVSOM this fall, and can’t wait to meet everyone. Good luck to everyone waiting on a decision, I’m rooting for you all!
When did you interview? And what were your stats?

Congrats!

Also accepted today :)
Interviewed March 8, four days ago

Stats ('cause I know y'all are nosey): MCAT 500, sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.9

Also accepted today :)
Interviewed March 8, four days ago

Stats ('cause I know y'all are nosey): MCAT 500, sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.9
Congrats! See you in a few months (if this ends up being your choice)

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone! I wonder if this is good news for us on the alternate list? It seems that seats have opened up? Also does anyone know when WVSOM stops interviewing?

Congrats to everyone! I wonder if this is good news for us on the alternate list? It seems that seats have opened up? Also does anyone know when WVSOM stops interviewing?
I'm sure it is. And I think they finish up mid-March, so they should be about done.

Also, second deposit is due on Friday, so I would guess movement will start after that.