2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else notice that the instructions for the final submission of your transcripts for verification were deleted from the My Checklist page?

Probably means nothing, if anything I feel it is not a good sign. Im not sure why they would take the time to remove information from the portal, especially something they would have to add again in the event that the applicant is be accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else notice that the instructions for the final submission of your transcripts for verification were deleted from the My Checklist page?

Probably means nothing, if anything I feel it is not a good sign. Im not sure why they would take the time to remove information from the portal, especially something they would have to add again in the event that the applicant is be accepted.
I just checked my portal and nothing in the My Checklist page changed for me. Maybe its some sort of technical error? I remember about a month ago some people's portals changed temporarily then went back to normal.

Accepted today! (I had a deferred acceptance already)

Edit: by email

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Had a hard time deciding between schools, but decided to stay in state. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I loved this school, but withdrew my acceptance last week - OOS tuition was too steep. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Who all is still on the alternate list? It would be nice to know how many other people are waiting in agony. Lol.

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone hear anything recently? The wait is actually killing me haha

Nothing, but I feel you. The wait is terrible. I remember after I interviewed, one of the faculty member's said "I wish we could take you all". Hopefully that wish comes true haha

Are there any current WVSOM students on here who would be able to message me on here or via email? I was recently accepted and have a few questions in regards to the program. Mainly because my wife is in her IM residency right now so I am trying to figure out some logistics. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone! I'm a recent WVSOM graduate and will be starting my residency in emergency medicine come July. I've been around these parts for the last couple years and more than happy to answer any questions regarding WVSOM, medical school, residency, and emergency medicine specific questions. I got a ton of help on here when I was applying to medical schools so I'm happy to pay it forward.

Good luck this cycle!

Would be able to message me on here or via email? I was recently accepted and have a few questions in regards to the program. Mainly because my wife is in her IM residency right now so I am trying to figure out some logistics. I am also interested in EM! Thanks in advance!

I called the school yesterday and spoke with admissions. She said that the ADCOM met yesterday and that, although they've seen some movement already, they're expecting the majority of their WL movement to happen relatively soon - whatever that means. She also confirmed that the WL is unranked and they rely on a "holistic review" to pull from the list.

I interviewed back in January so I'm definitely starting to sweat bullets lol.

Stay strong out there, friends!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called the school yesterday and spoke with admissions. She said that the ADCOM met yesterday and that, although they've seen some movement already, they're expecting the majority of their WL movement to happen relatively soon - whatever that means. She also confirmed that the WL is unranked and they rely on a "holistic review" to pull from the list.

Thank you for this, I wonder how long "relatively soon is". Did you ask if the class is full? I interviewed in Feb and im still sweating haha, fingers crossed for all of us!

Thanks a lot for sharing this man! I remember counting 5 admissions off the waitlist at the end of May/June 2018 on the forums, hopefully we see similar or better movement in the coming weeks:xf:I interviewed in early March and as I mentioned...I have been a nervous wreck every Tuesday since :') Best of luck to all, may the unranked, holistic waitlist be in your favours.

Thank you for this, I wonder how long "relatively soon is". Did you ask if the class is full? I interviewed in Feb and im still sweating haha, fingers crossed for all of us!
Yeah her responses seemed pretty vague in terms of when they expect the movement to happen haha but at least we know they're still expecting some movement to happen eventually. I didn't get a chance to ask about how full the class is unfortunately.

I guess we just keep stocking up on antiperspirant and stay positive lol.

• Haha
Would be able to message me on here or via email? I was recently accepted and have a few questions in regards to the program. Mainly because my wife is in her IM residency right now so I am trying to figure out some logistics. I am also interested in EM! Thanks in advance!

Message Sent!

Thanks a lot for sharing this man! I remember counting 5 admissions off the waitlist at the end of May/June 2018 on the forums, hopefully we see similar or better movement in the coming weeks:xf:I interviewed in early March and as I mentioned...I have been a nervous wreck every Tuesday since :') Best of luck to all, may the unranked, holistic waitlist be in your favours.
Haha I just wonder how many people are on the waitlist, I remember looking at one of the forums (few years ago) and it was like about 100 people lol. I really hope there isn't that many people because thats pretty discouraging.

Did anyone else just receive an email from Gwen Chretien just now?
Yeah I just received one as well! Had a mini heart attack after reading it was from the school lol. I wonder what impact (if any) this will have on the admissions process.

For people who interviewed Jan-Mar I'm curious to how many people they actually rejected post interview, It seems like a lot of us are great candidates and they just waitlisted 90 percent of us.

Yeah I just received one as well! Had a mini heart attack after reading it was from the school lol. I wonder what impact (if any) this will have on the admissions process.
Literally thought I got rejected lol when I saw the subject line haha
For people who interviewed Jan-Mar I'm curious to how many people they actually rejected post interview, It seems like a lot of us are great candidates and they just waitlisted 90 percent of us.
It seems like no one was rejected because its probably safer for them to waitlist everyone so that there is always a backup student to take a spot. :(

Someone posted on the Facebook group that they got accepted last week so the wait list is certainly moving ;)

Same!!

I saw a few of them got rejected... 1-3? On the forum.. it means there are more applicants who got rejected than what we thought?

Literally thought I got rejected lol when I saw the subject line haha

It seems like no one was rejected because its probably safer for them to waitlist everyone so that there is always a backup student to take a spot. :(
Contact moving forward?

scary thought that some of us are going to lose the voice of the admissions committee member that interviewed us in their future meetings :/

Contact moving forward?
Yeah, I realize its not that scary now but when I read it I thought it was going to tell me future directions like a post-ii rejection would.
scary thought that some of us are going to lose the voice of the admissions committee member that interviewed us in their future meetings :/
That is really upsetting, I was put in the other group so I did not interview with her. I dont think they will recall the experience much besides the notes they took during the interview which is most likely what the committee reviews right now. So hopefully it does not hurt those who interviewed with her as much.
I saw a few of them got rejected... 1-3? On the forum.. it means there are more applicants who got rejected than what we thought?
People posted on this forum that they got rejected? I haven't seen a single one post-ii. Maybe I am blind

After some digging through previous Annual Reports from the school, they only interview around 500 applicants out of 5000 primary apps for roughly 200 seats. Based off of the relatively high selectivity of interview invites, if you were offered an interview it makes sense that many applicants would at least stay on the WL.
Link: https://www.wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/u16/2018_Annual_Report_FINAL.pdf

I also found a post awhile back on Reddit with results of the US News and World Report with interview/ acceptance information from 2 years ago which reported WVSOM had around a 94% post-interview acceptance rate (lol). Don't quote me on the validity of this post though.

Last edited:
Got accepted today, but will most likely be declining my seat due to high tuition + far away. It is a great school though, hope my seat goes to one of you! Stats: cgpa: 3.92 sgpa 3.91 MCAT 497 (121 cars).

Reactions: 2 users
Got accepted today, but will most likely be declining my seat due to high tuition + far away. It is a great school though, hope my seat goes to one of you! Stats: cgpa: 3.92 sgpa 3.91 MCAT 497 (121 cars).

Congrats! I'm wondering if youre the same person i was i touch with on reddit recently?

Congratulations my friend!
Interesting that they're making calls on a Thursday, I was under the impression only Tuesdays/Wednesdays *anxiety intensifies*

Congratulations my friend!
Interesting that they're making calls on a Thursday, I was under the impression only Tuesdays/Wednesdays *anxiety intensifies*
I got the call on a Friday.

• Wow
Congrats!!! When did you interview btw?

I also got an acceptance call today! I believe my interview was 1/31. I will likely be declining though as well. Good luck to all those waiting - I hope you get my spot!

What school will you be attending?

The wait is painful. It seems I have to reacquaint myself with my old enemy MCAT.

I also got an acceptance call today! I believe my interview was 1/31. I will likely be declining though as well. Good luck to all those waiting - I hope you get my spot!

Congrats to the both of you! Just how likely are you going to be declining the seats though...the other waitlisted people are tired of standing up:(.

Best of luck to wherever you both end up though!

Congrats to the both of you! Just how likely are you going to be declining the seats though...the other waitlisted people are tired of standing up:(.

Best of luck to wherever you both end up though!
I’m declining 100 percent, sorry haha. I hope that seat goes to you :)

• Love
I remain on the AL as well. I interviewed in March and was told by one of the students while I was there that many students on the AL get called off. I already submitted email updates and a letter of continued interest. I'm still waiting with high hopes of getting off the list!

Congrats! would you mind sharing stats?
497 MCAT, roughly 3.85 cGPA and sGPA, hundreds of hours shadowing, research + paper, and good letters of rec. I will be sending an email declining the offer tomorrow!! Good luck to you all :)

I sent an email declining the offer, I hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck, truly try your best to keep in contact with admissions, it really will improve your chances, especially this late in the game.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed in March so hopefully this week is THE week for March people! May the odds be in our favor

I was accepted a few weeks ago and am looking for a roommate. The place is very close to campus and very nice. I'm having no luck on the FB page.