2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received today!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I heard from a current WVSOM student that the curriculum was drastically changed this past year and that a sizable amount of first year's ended up having to restart their first year. Could you possible shed some light to the validity of that statement as well as how the curriculum is currently structured and how it differs from the past couple years?

We have a systems/organ based curriculum at WVSOM. What that means is during a particular block (typically 4-5 weeks) you go through microbiology, pharmacology, anatomy, etc for that organ system i.e. cardiology, neurology, etc. I personally like this way of learning because it ties everything together and initiates you starting to think like a physician. You need to be able to amalgamate large amounts of data and synthesis it into a concise treatment plan for the patient.

From the grape vine, it sounds like WVSOM switched around some of the combined blocks. For example, we had blood/lymph/neurology for one two blocks which was taxing for our class. They switched it around and had blood/lymph/GI (or something like that ) and people had a harder time with it.

I don't know how many people had to repeat first year (didn't hear anything about that) but one thing is for sure, medical school in general is not for the faint of heart. No matter what the curriculum is, if you put your head down and study your buns off, you will pass and do just fine. The people at risk for repeating are the ones that dick around and cram last second for exams. You're a professional now, make a study plan and spread things out and you will pass with flying colors. I remember when I started at WVSOM, I met a fellow first year who was repeating the year because he failed out. He told me what I just said above, he didn't study like he should have and crammed last second for exams.

WVSOM knows what they are doing, they have been around forever and are one of the longest standing DO schools. People like to complain about changes in the curriculum but they take an immense amount of input from the students and change it for the better. WVSOM will prepare you for your board exams as long as you put in the work!

TL;DR WVSOM makes tweaks in the curriculum with student input. Sometimes it's a difficult transition but it's generally fine. If you don't hustle and study smart you will have a hard time and may fail out.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was told today that they are already reviewing applications with decisions to follow soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Still haven't gotten a secondary lol, anyone else?

Reactions: 3 users
Decisions for what? II or secondaries?
I assume II. I met with an admissions rep awhile ago and emailed him to say that my secondary was in. He said that they were reviewing secondaries and that I would hear from them soon

II!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations and good luck!!! What is your gpa and MCAT if you don’t mind my asking?

Thank you! 3.19 cumulative, 3.08 science, 521 MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! 3.19 cumulative, 3.08 science, 521 MCAT

Nice! Very impressive MCAT!!!! This is my #1 school so fingers crossed!!! My MCAT score is released on Tuesday so I’ll wait for my secondary and I’m almost finished with it.

Nice! Very impressive MCAT!!!! This is my #1 school so fingers crossed!!! My MCAT score is released on Tuesday so I’ll wait for my secondary and I’m almost finished with it.

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great. I’m out of state but my mom works with the sister of one of the deans so I’ve visited before and it’s a great school in a great little town. I’m very excited to interview

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do great. I’m out of state but my mom works with the sister of one of the deans so I’ve visited before and it’s a great school in a great little town. I’m very excited to interview

I’m also out of state and I’ve met with admissions and been down there a couple times. The school is gorgeous!!! I’m definitely hoping for an interview!

Reactions: 1 user
No secondary yet - 3.2GPA 510 MCAT. Anyone else in a similar situation?

i just received my secondary! i guess they do send it out in batches then

LOL - Just received my secondary. I think they read my SDN post.

Reactions: 2 users
LOL - Just received my secondary. I think they read my SDN post.

*When WVSOM read your post*

aaaand-send.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else interviewing the 6th of September?

For the question about rural medicine, how do you all feel about someone who does not have any experience with rural medicine? I would be open to idea of practice in a rural area, but I have more of an interest to practice in an urbanized area where there are people who dont have the easiest means to find the healthcare they need. Do you think an ADCOM would frown upon that?

For the question about rural medicine, how do you all feel about someone who does not have any experience with rural medicine? I would be open to idea of practice in a rural area, but I have more of an interest to practice in an urbanized area where there are people who dont have the easiest means to find the healthcare they need. Do you think an ADCOM would frown upon that?
I put more advantages in urban and less advantages for rural and still got an II. So, I think it is okay to say you are considering practicing in rural areas, but you think there are fewer advantages...if that makes any sense.

How are we supposed to keep these answers 500 characters or less?!?! I am such a "wordy" writer! I have so much to say and so little space to explain. :arghh:

How are we supposed to keep these answers 500 characters or less?!?! I am such a "wordy" writer! I have so much to say and so little space to explain. :arghh:
Exactly, how did you all describe ethical situations with only ~70 words lol

Exactly, how did you all describe ethical situations with only ~70 words lol

Very directly and to the point. “Here’s the situation. Here’s how I responded. Here’s the outcome and what I took away from it.” I’ll elaborate more on interview day if they would like.

Very directly and to the point. “Here’s the situation. Here’s how I responded. Here’s the outcome and what I took away from it.” I’ll elaborate more on interview day if they would like.
did you apply to any MD schools?

I explained the gist of it while leaving out all possible details hoping they would get hooked and want to know more, which of course would require an interview. Seemed to have worked

I’ve just been trying to write out 3 good sentences, that usually gets close to 500

Been trying desperately to submit my secondary from Friday, error messages, called and left message for technical support, no help yet. Anyone facing similar problems?

Been trying desperately to submit my secondary from Friday, error messages, called and left message for technical support, no help yet. Anyone facing similar problems?
what error messages are you getting?

What did you guys put for the question about the study hours? How many hours is reasonable to say???

What did you guys put for the question about the study hours? How many hours is reasonable to say???
I said 75 hours. This gives you about 2-3 hours every day to volunteer, workout, get food, etc.

Edit: Includes 7 hours of sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users