2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to be the annoying person and ask... any news? :cautious:

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing. :/ I'm getting frustrated, why does this take so long?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know about where i can look for apartments? I am trying to find a 1br 1 bathroom studio. nothing in the fb group

Members don't see this ad :)
we still have tomorrow, Thur, Friday..
Hoping we get some calls later this week!! Would be super weird for 2 people to get in last week, turn the spots down, then no one get pulled this week :/

Hoping everyone can receive the auspicious news these upcoming weeks. I don't think I'll even wish my worst enemy to be on a waitlisting list.

Reactions: 3 users
Hoping we get some calls later this week!! Would be super weird for 2 people to get in last week, turn the spots down, then no one get pulled this week :/
We did get called off on a Thursday so I’m thinking they are meeting up more than just Tuesday starting in June. Just stay hopeful, but start thinking about the worst :(. I’m sure there will still be a decent amount of movement.

What I'm really wondering is if we should be resubmitting our apps while on the waitlist?

What I'm really wondering is if we should be resubmitting our apps while on the waitlist?
I feel that this is the most frustrating aspect of being on the waitlist at this point. Not only remaining in anxious purgatory but also debating whether to shell out additional hundreds of dollars to retake MCAT/reapply.

Do you think calling the admin office and asking if we should be preparing to reapply would be perceived negatively?

I feel that this is the most frustrating aspect of being on the waitlist at this point. Not only remaining in anxious purgatory but also debating whether to shell out additional hundreds of dollars to retake MCAT/reapply.

Do you think calling the admin office and asking if we should be preparing to reapply would be perceived negatively?

I don't think so and I actually plan to call someone from the admissions office soon to discuss this.

I don't know if I should be starting MCAT prep and submitting my primary or just keep praying or both lol

Reactions: 1 user

I asked this and they told me that once it hits the end of June to think about reapplying or retaking the MCAT. I spent the past 4 months studying for the MCAT to retake on June 1st, but luckily I didn’t have to take it. I did lose almost another 1000 in prep stuff which sucked but I had to prep for the worst. I am certain there will be more movement but always prep for the worst so that you aren’t late for the next cycle, I’d just submit another application early but only to one school that you prob don’t care about so you can get verified.

Reactions: 3 users
I asked this and they told me that once it hits the end of June to think about reapplying or retaking the MCAT. I spent the past 4 months studying for the MCAT to retake on June 1st, but luckily I didn’t have to take it. I did lose almost another 1000 in prep stuff which sucked but I had to prep for the worst. I am certain there will be more movement but always prep for the worst so that you aren’t late for the next cycle, I’d just submit another application early but only to one school that you prob don’t care about so you can get verified.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worse. Good advice. I have just started looking over MCAT notes again and its annoying because you wonder whether you should give it your 110% or 60% because theres always that possibility that its irrelevant

Members don't see this ad :)

I’m pretty sure WVSOM is pulling every week. Every time I get on the FB page, I see a couple new members. Just stay positive, I know that no one wants to wait, but it might be for the better. You might even get out of some of these mandatory assignments. It’s not all bad.

I’m pretty sure WVSOM is pulling every week. Every time I get on the FB page, I see a couple new members. Just stay positive, I know that no one wants to wait, but it might be for the better. You might even get out of some of these mandatory assignments. It’s not all bad.
You’ve been given assignments already?

Don’t ask
You’ve been given assignments already?

Just a couple of mandatory readings and one requires a 2-3 page paper. Nothing too crazy. They did release our class schedule though. Just stay positive and don’t count yourself out. It’s not over until the fat lady sings. My best friend is still on the waitlist, and I see what she’s going through. Hang in there. Majority of our FB group is faculty, realtors, and upperclassmen. I don’t think we are full yet.

Don’t ask

Just a couple of mandatory readings and one requires a 2-3 page paper. Nothing too crazy. They did release our class schedule though. Just stay positive and don’t count yourself out. It’s not over until the fat lady sings. My best friend is still on the waitlist, and I see what she’s going through. Hang in there. Majority of our FB group is faculty, realtors, and upperclassmen. I don’t think we are full yet.
Thank you for the insight!

Don’t ask

Did you read the book already?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worse. Good advice. I have just started looking over MCAT notes again and its annoying because you wonder whether you should give it your 110% or 60% because theres always that possibility that its irrelevant
Yeah I know it sucks believe me haha, I graduated college a month ago and instead of chilling or taking time off to spend with my friends I was grinding mcat and it sucks cause in the end I didn’t have to, but I had to prep for the worst case scenario. Literally day before graduation I took a full length and then on graduation I wanted to review it lol. I hate that I wasn’t able to spend more time with my close friends but it happens. Honestly if you can go 110 percent it would be great, but 60 percent right now to start back up again is probably ideal to get into the groove. I’d say it wasn’t all useless since I’m ready to study when med school starts, also it refreshes some of those basic topics you’ll probably want to know to make the first few weeks smooth. Number 1 advice is to keep in contact with Danny, he told me that it makes a difference to show interest here. Even said “simply just letting us know you’re still out there”. Although actual updates are better. I’m surprised my seat hasn’t been given yet, I know the wait sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just invited for interview June 25th.
Is this kinda late in the cycle? I don’t really understand why they invited me because it’s June !!!
Somebody else was invited on same date ?

• Wow
Any comments \advices would be greatly appreciated
Please help....I don’t know what is going on

Is this kinda late in the cycle? I don’t really understand why they invited me because it’s June !!!
nick young.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Probably because our class is not full and the waiting list is near it’s end lol. I doubt they have many more people to pull from the list.

Update: My roommate (Newly 3rd year) knows way more than me. Apparently some people on the alternate list can’t make that $3000 deposit this late in the game. More people than expected are turning down acceptances, so they have to interview more people.

Last edited:

Hey that interview date is for the West Liberty Bridge Program (Masters) for the med school the following year.

Makes more sense now !haha
Thank you !

Makes more sense now !haha
Thank you !

I want you to know that i'm currently on the waitlist and you just gave me an ischemic stroke out of fear that they were done pulling off the list...That is all

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah I know it sucks believe me haha, I graduated college a month ago and instead of chilling or taking time off to spend with my friends I was grinding mcat and it sucks cause in the end I didn’t have to, but I had to prep for the worst case scenario. Literally day before graduation I took a full length and then on graduation I wanted to review it lol. I hate that I wasn’t able to spend more time with my close friends but it happens. Honestly if you can go 110 percent it would be great, but 60 percent right now to start back up again is probably ideal to get into the groove. I’d say it wasn’t all useless since I’m ready to study when med school starts, also it refreshes some of those basic topics you’ll probably want to know to make the first few weeks smooth. Number 1 advice is to keep in contact with Danny, he told me that it makes a difference to show interest here. Even said “simply just letting us know you’re still out there”. Although actual updates are better. I’m surprised my seat hasn’t been given yet, I know the wait sucks.

In my limited experience, the school does seem pretty open to communication but I'm curious how one would go about "letting them know we're still here" without any substantial updates.

In my limited experience, the school does seem pretty open to communication but I'm curious how one would go about "letting them know we're still here" without any substantial updates.
I thought about the same thing haha, I couldn't really figure it out myself. I assume by asking a question then following with "I am still very interested in the school" or something like that.

slide them a $5 and follow with.. there's $5 more where that came from

• Haha
Also tomorrow is Friday so there's always a chance we will get called THEN... if not, you'll hear back from me next Tuesday hoping for us all :laugh:+pity+

If you are currently on the waitlist, I'd say it's almost imperative that you contact admissions. Let them know that WVSOM is your number 1 choice and that you will definitely go here if you get pulled off. If you really want, you can slip in how much you want to practice medicine in West Virginia. You might get pulled off anyway, but it's getting late. Housing goes fast and is difficult to find when you get pulled off the week or 2 before classes start.

So I have emailed an update a while back but I'm contemplating calling.. not sure what I'd say though. Maybe " What's the hold up?!" :scared:

Anxiety is currently through the roof. Hoping for some good news soon.

Do you know if the "big movement" happened already?

Not sure, I was just expecting some movement after two students declined an acceptance last week. But then again there are probably those that don't keep an eye on SDN or post anything. Really hoping I get pulled off. I just got accepted to Temple's podiatry program on Friday. Hoping for a miracle because there is no way I can take the MCAT for a 4th time and reapply. I feel like that would be a red flag. Any advice would be helpful.

Not sure, I was just expecting some movement after two students declined an acceptance last week. But then again there are probably those that don't keep an eye on SDN or post anything. Really hoping I get pulled off. I just got accepted to Temple's podiatry program on Friday. Hoping for a miracle because there is no way I can take the MCAT for a 4th time and reapply. I feel like that would be a red flag. Any advice would be helpful.
First off, congratulations on the acceptance into Podiatry school! I am no expert but I'd say your decision comes down to many factors.

You have to consider if you are financially capable of reapplying a following cycle, critically analyze how you are studying for the MCAT and what it would take to bring your score up (if not in a reasonable place), analyze how to add/change your medical school application to be more competitive, and actively talk to admissions counselors from schools you wish to apply to for advise on how to stand out in their particular school.

If you decide you want to take the MCAT again, the worse thing isn't a 4th MCAT score, but a score that isn't drastically different from the others. Focus on what you need to change to get to the score you desire. Ultimately, if your passion is to be a physician, don't give up yet unless you have exhausted all your options.

This is true, and congrats on the acceptance! I feel your pain though, really. Many of us are in tight spots as well. I fully agree with DOcter135 though, don't give up if it's what you really want. They will sing songs of your admission to medical school someday.

I actually just dusted off my old MCAT notes an hour ago and I'm so bummed that I have to study for this thing again. I had no problem 3 years ago.... gods I was strong then!

Hang in there alternate list fam, we're all gonna make it, one way or another.

First off, congratulations on the acceptance into Podiatry school! I am no expert but I'd say your decision comes down to many factors.

You have to consider if you are financially capable of reapplying a following cycle, critically analyze how you are studying for the MCAT and what it would take to bring your score up (if not in a reasonable place), analyze how to add/change your medical school application to be more competitive, and actively talk to admissions counselors from schools you wish to apply to for advise on how to stand out in their particular school.

If you decide you want to take the MCAT again, the worse thing isn't a 4th MCAT score, but a score that isn't drastically different from the others. Focus on what you need to change to get to the score you desire. Ultimately, if your passion is to be a physician, don't give up yet unless you have exhausted all your options.
Appreciate the insight my man. Means a lot. And I agree with "the worse thing isn't a 4th MCAT score, but a score that isn't drastically different from the others". That is spot on. I think the hardest pill for me to swallow is that I have worked my ass off to get to where I am, and I might still not achieve my goal. Podiatry isn't a terrible field, but having your eye on MD/DO and then picking a different route is always difficult to adjust to. I'm 25 and I took the right route by doing a master's program. So lets hope for the best. I'm currently waitlisted at 2 DO schools, maybe movement will pick up

This is true, and congrats on the acceptance! I feel your pain though, really. Many of us are in tight spots as well. I fully agree with DOcter135 though, don't give up if it's what you really want. They will sing songs of your admission to medical school someday.

I actually just dusted off my old MCAT notes an hour ago and I'm so bummed that I have to study for this thing again. I had no problem 3 years ago.... gods I was strong then!

Hang in there alternate list fam, we're all gonna make it, one way or another.

Appreciate it my man. Resiliency is the key to success. I guess we are all on the same boat. Just gotta be positive and move forward.

I honestly do not know what's going. If students were accepted in years past in the month May and both the beginning and end of June and like one in July what makes this year any different? It just does not make any sense unless they're just going to unload a bunch of acceptances.

I doubt that there are that many individuals who don't use SDN who are currently pulled off and accepted. If they want to pull the lifeline for our applications why don't they do that sooner than later?

Hiiiii :)
Can anyone who has received WVCOM secondary please confirm essay lengths? I saw somewhere that they were limited to 500 characters? Is this true?

I honestly do not know what's going. If students were accepted in years past in the month May and both the beginning and end of June and like one in July what makes this year any different? It just does not make any sense unless they're just going to unload a bunch of acceptances.

I doubt that there are that many individuals who don't use SDN who are currently pulled off and accepted. If they want to pull the lifeline for our applications why don't they do that sooner than later?
right?? makes no sense. I emailed today to get more information but no reply. It's getting ridiculous. As time passes, the MCAT/new applications/ personal statement is all starting to haunt me..

Has anyone tried to reach out regarding any new news?

right?? makes no sense. I emailed today to get more information but no reply. It's getting ridiculous. As time passes, the MCAT/new applications/ personal statement is all starting to haunt me..

Has anyone tried to reach out regarding any new news?
I emailed on Friday with no response yet.