2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did you guys put for the question about the study hours? How many hours is reasonable to say???

I put 50 in the box but also added that I’d do whatever it takes to understand the material and some weeks it may be far more while others it may be less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

What did you guys put for the question about the study hours? How many hours is reasonable to say???
I put 70 assuming I spend about an hour each day exercising and about 8 sleep in order to maintain a healthy state. The rest I said I’d use for reviewing notes and completing assignments

So I turned in my secondary this morning, so they send a confirmation email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone see how on an Interview day they make you do "mock OPP"

Anyone have any info on what they do?
Seems intimidating

Anyone see how on an Interview day they make you do "mock OPP"

Anyone have any info on what they do?
Seems intimidating
I've had to do mock patient encounters for an interview before. It was kind of tough, but makes you actually act out or do what you would otherwise say you would do given a specific scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
What does "current employment" mean on the secondary application? Are they asking if I'm employed or unemployed or my specific place of employment?

What does "current employment" mean on the secondary application? Are they asking if I'm employed or unemployed or my specific place of employment?
I understood it as "what do you do for employment." I stated the type of jobs I am currently employed at, separated with a comma.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understood it as "what do you do for employment." I stated the type of jobs I am currently employed at, separated with a comma.
I see you have quite a few interviews with a 500 mcat!! Did you plan a retake or are you applying with that score? I'm trying to figure out my chances from your stats.. 496--->501 retake and im retaking again on saturday. 3.7 GPA but havent gotten any II yet.

I see you have quite a few interviews with a 500 mcat!! Did you plan a retake or are you applying with that score? I'm trying to figure out my chances from your stats.. 496--->501 retake and im retaking again on saturday. 3.7 GPA but havent gotten any II yet.
No intent to retake unless I don’t get in this year. I believe I make up for what my mcat lacks in experiences. Fingers crossed.

I just wanted to weigh in on this topic as well. I agree with @medstudent1215 . I have a very low MCAT score as well (between 498 - 502) and have gotten some interviews (not trying to show off or anything). I have a similar GPA as well. I think it really depends on your ECs and most schools do look at it holistically as long as you meet the required stats. Let me know if you have questions!

Reactions: 1 users
What?!?! Where did you find this?
I've had to do mock patient encounters for an interview before. It was kind of tough, but makes you actually act out or do what you would otherwise say you would do given a specific scenario.

I saw it when registering for my interview. They make you sign waivers and forms online. Haven't you seen that?

medstudent1215
Do you mind sharing some specifics on what exactly they made you do?
Seems strange they make us do that.

I saw it when registering for my interview. They make you sign waivers and forms online. Haven't you seen that?

medstudent1215
Oh...I haven't had a chance to look at the waivers and forms yet. Thanks for pointing that out!

medstudent1215
There was an actor/actress waiting in the room, and there was a prompt that you read before you go in the room. The prompt had some sort of ethical scenario on it ranging from you pretending to be a resident and have to deliver bad news to a patient. Or you being a student and having to confront another student about something difficult. Then there are cameras and microphones recording you that admissions will review.

There was an actor/actress waiting in the room, and there was a prompt that you read before you go in the room. The prompt had some sort of ethical scenario on it ranging from you pretending to be a resident and have to deliver bad news to a patient. Or you being a student and having to confront another student about something difficult. Then there are cameras and microphones recording you that admissions will review.
So MMI?

Wow first time I have heard that.
Thanks for the heads up

But didn't what @medstudent1215 say basically resembled MMI
The original question was talking about "mock OPP" and then asking if anyone had info on what they would do. All I was saying was that in the past (different schools) I have had to do a mock patient encounter and then explained what that was like. Yes, that was in a MMI style of encounter, but I wasn’t saying that is what WVSOM does. Just trying to answer what “mock OPP” could be like. It could also be an interactive OPP demonstration where applicants are involved and perform OMT on other applicants. I’ve done this before also.

Just got the email for an interview! Going 10/1!!

When were you complete? And what are you stats? If you dont mine sharing

Submitted my secondary on 7/24, but never got a "complete" email. 3.5c, 3.3s, 3.2masters 495 MCAT Re-applicant I interviewed her previously and got WL and was never pulled off. That was before masters (VCOM) and I had a 492 MCAT then. Not the greatest stats, especially MCAT but I've got lots of experience in hospital and also with underserved. Also my DO letter was from someone who went to school here.

Reactions: 6 users
Submitted my secondary on 7/24, but never got a "complete" email. 3.5c, 3.3s, 3.2masters 495 MCAT Re-applicant I interviewed her previously and got WL and was never pulled off. That was before masters (VCOM) and I had a 492 MCAT then. Not the greatest stats, especially MCAT but I've got lots of experience in hospital and also with underserved. Also my DO letter was from someone who went to school here.
Congrats! Best of luck to you for your interview!

Got an interview invite today. Haven't scheduled yet but it is for end of September or October 1st. Happy my first DO interview this cycle came early.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

I'm wondering if people wrote anything on the secondaries regarding "optional comments about study habits" and "optional comments about volunteer experience". I know it's optional but I often feel obligated to still write something. I'm not really sure what types comments they're looking for here though..

Hi all,

I'm wondering if people wrote anything on the secondaries regarding "optional comments about study habits" and "optional comments about volunteer experience". I know it's optional but I often feel obligated to still write something. I'm not really sure what types comments they're looking for here though..
I wrote about my studying habits and how I study and learn better both individually and with a group of classmates...things of that nature would be nice to show the adcom.

I wrote about my studying habits and how I study and learn better both individually and with a group of classmates...things of that nature would be nice to show the adcom.
what about for volunteer experience? I dont really know how to comment on that because I gave explanations for them on the primary in the experiences section.

what about for volunteer experience? I dont really know how to comment on that because I gave explanations for them on the primary in the experiences section.
I just put down the name of the non-clinical volunteer experience and maybe write something different than what you wrote on the primary. If you wrote a story about the experience in your primary, I would suggest just putting down the description since you only have a limited character count. It is really up to you, but I think it will be beneficial to remind them again of the volunteer experiences you did.

I’m getting so inpatient about an II! I submitted my secondary 7/17. Is it rude to call and ask what’s up??

Haven't gotten a secondary yet, turned in app a month ago. Have I been screened out?
Ivy League grad, sGPA 3.2 cGPA 3.4 MCAT 502

Haven't gotten a secondary yet, turned in app a month ago. Have I been screened out?
No, you seem fine. I would be patient.

Just got an interview request today. Picked: Friday, October 5, 2018

Anyone else from NJ/Philly or the tri-state area interviewing on that date? Do people fly in or drive there? Looks like there is limited train/bus availability and the flight takes longer due to the all the connecting flights. If anyone is interested in maybe car pooling message me!!

I see the MMI/Mock OPP style of interviewing? Any other insights?

Last edited:
Just got an interview request today. Was offered the following dates:
  • Monday, October 1, 2018 (only 3 spots available)
  • Thursday, October 4, 2018
  • Friday, October 5, 2018

Anyone else from NJ/Philly or the tri-state area interviewing on those date? Do people fly in or drive there? Looks like there is limited train/bus availability and the flight takes longer due to the all the connecting flights. If anyone is interested in maybe car pooling message me!!

I am debating on what date to pick and would would appreciate any/all advice. I see the MMI/Mock OPP style of interviewing? Any other insights?
When did you submit your secondary?

Just scheduled interview for 9/28. Also, I don't think that WVSOM is MMI or Mock OPP I don't know where that idea came out. I think this is more of the classic sit down interview.

Just scheduled interview for 9/28. Also, I don't think that WVSOM is MMI or Mock OPP I don't know where that idea came out. I think this is more of the classic sit down interview.

Ya I'm not sure either. I have just been reading the thread above. Are you from the tri-state?

Ya I'm not sure either. I have just been reading the thread above. Are you from the tri-state?
Reading above, that one user was just explaining what it was. He was not saying that WVSOM does this. I am from Virginia though so not the tristate. Have you been to their open house? I went and I don't recall them talking about MMI so I'm 99% sure it isn't.

I got a secondary with a lower MCAT, so you’re probably good!