2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be random, but is there a lap pool anywhere near Lewisburg? I've been a swimmer my whole life and this may be an important factor for me. I know that the school doesn't have one, but if there were a gym I could buy a membership to or a YMCA with a pool within a reasonable drive that would be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone actually gotten an interview without a DO letter?

I just found out about this DO letter requirement a few days ago and now I am trying to get one fast. From their website, it seems like it is a strict requirement. If you can, try to get one and send it in. I think we still have some time since the DO cycle is long.

II this morning

OOS, LM 66-68

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted my Primary yesterday. Hope it's not too late.

@WVFiddleGirl what video did you find this statistic in?

I found those statistics in WVSOM's 2017 Annual Report, but I am compiling these numbers for my own youtube channel to help people get into Med School.

I am unable to post a link, but if you google WVSOM 2017 annual report, you should find that data. :)

Last edited:
This may be random, but is there a lap pool anywhere near Lewisburg? I've been a swimmer my whole life and this may be an important factor for me. I know that the school doesn't have one, but if there were a gym I could buy a membership to or a YMCA with a pool within a reasonable drive that would be fine

No swimming pool in Lewisburg, yet. There used to be one years ago but it closed down. When I graduated there was word of renovating it and opening it back up. There is a group of triathletes in and around Lewisburg that are working to help open it back up.

However, the Greenbrier Resort has a nice lap pool. I believe the nearest YMCA is Covington, VA.

I personally would go up to Lake Sherwood and did some open water swimming. There's great running trails and roads for cycling as well. It's about 45 minutes from Lewisburg so it's a bit of a hike but a very nice area.

Members don't see this ad :)
No swimming pool in Lewisburg, yet. There used to be one years ago but it closed down. When I graduated there was word of renovating it and opening it back up. There is a group of triathletes in and around Lewisburg that are working to help open it back up.

However, the Greenbrier Resort has a nice lap pool. I believe the nearest YMCA is Covington, VA.

I personally would go up to Lake Sherwood and did some open water swimming. There's great running trails and roads for cycling as well. It's about 45 minutes from Lewisburg so it's a bit of a hike but a very nice area.
seems to be within a fair drive and the pool looks good online. Do they offer a sort of membership for someone to just come and use the pool?

submitted 07/25 and still nothing. not even a complete email....
I am worried this is a silent rejection

I'm sorry that you are worried, and wish you lots of luck. Have you called admissions to check on things?

I've been complete since the beginning of August, has anyone not heard for a secondary yet?

I've been complete since the beginning of August, has anyone not heard for a secondary yet?
I submitted my primary on 08/01 and received the secondary on 08/08. I know the delay sucks, they probably just haven't gotten to your app yet. Hang in there!

I have been "under review" since July 23. At what point is it acceptable to call and ask?

Reactions: 2 users
I have been "under review" since July 23. At what point is it acceptable to call and ask?

I don't think it's ever to early to show interest in something, unless you're playing poker or in a bidding war. If this is a primary school for you, then let them know.

II just now!!!! sGPA: 3.5, 509 MCAT Complete: 7/24

Reactions: 1 users
Essays listed below:
1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

Do you remember what the character count was? Thank you :)

II this morning!! Available dates: October 18, 19, 22. Secondary submitted: 7/29. First invite and I am SO excited!

I got a "decision deferred" email from this school this week. I guess I was missing some documents but can't tell if it's a waitlist either.

I got a "decision deferred" email from this school this week. I guess I was missing some documents but can't tell if it's a waitlist either.

I'd call admissions and get the details. It could be something that you are able to rectify and get back into consideration.

Withdrew my interview opportunity here because I was accepted to a program close to home. Good luck to everyone!

Withdrew my interview here. Hope that interview is given to one of you amazing people.

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewing tomorrow. Staying a little after. Where’s the best hiking in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interviewing tomorrow. Staying a little after. Where’s the best hiking in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit up the Greenbrier River Trail. It's mostly just a walking/running/biking trail that is flat but it was my favorite place to run while there at WVSOM. The trail is 88 miles long and was built over an old railroad line that goes up to Cass, WV.

Also, make sure to explore downtown. Otherwise you can head up to Droop Mountain or Bear Town state park. Falls of Hills Creek is stunning if you like waterfalls. Sandstone Falls is also pretty as is New River Gorge overlook. You can Google all these, they are a bit of a drive but totally worth if you have time. Blue bend recreation area has some decent hikes too and is somewhat close. Otherwise Greenbrier River Trail is closest.

Still waiting with a status of “application under review” been complete almost a month now.

Hit up the Greenbrier River Trail. It's mostly just a walking/running/biking trail that is flat but it was my favorite place to run while there at WVSOM. The trail is 88 miles long and was built over an old railroad line that goes up to Cass, WV.

Also, make sure to explore downtown. Otherwise you can head up to Droop Mountain or Bear Town state park. Falls of Hills Creek is stunning if you like waterfalls. Sandstone Falls is also pretty as is New River Gorge overlook. You can Google all these, they are a bit of a drive but totally worth if you have time. Blue bend recreation area has some decent hikes too and is somewhat close. Otherwise Greenbrier River Trail is closest.

Dont sleep on the Greenbrier State Forest. Its more hilly than the river trail but the views at the top of Kate's Mountain are cool. Also its closer than the other places he mentioned (other than the river trail).

Random question, but does anyone know if there are any sports bars close by? I have an interview Monday, and I’m arriving Sunday morning to watch some opening NFL games.

Random question, but does anyone know if there are any sports bars close by? I have an interview Monday, and I’m arriving Sunday morning to watch some opening NFL games.

Go to the Asylum!

Go Seahawks!!!