2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like this question was asked but may have gotten lost in the shuffle.. about how long does it take after being complete to potentially get an II?
I waited about 3 months .. complete early July II mid October

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like this question was asked but may have gotten lost in the shuffle.. about how long does it take after being complete to potentially get an II?
Everybody is going to be different. There are a lot of factors that play into this. One is how many people have already been invited to interview. Also, how competitive the applicant pool is. I applied early in July and didn't interview until December. Just as an FYI, WVSOM accepts most people that they interview, but as time moves on past February they will be interviewing for alternate spots. If you take an interview before February, you have a great shot to get in as opposed to after. If your application focuses on all the points of WVSOM's mission, then you have a much better shot at getting in........they care ALOT about mission driven applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
So surreal. Got the call a couple of hours ago. ACCEPTED! Can't wait.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Danny just called me with my acceptance! I'm so hyped right now!

Accepted just now over the phone! Interviewed 10/11!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted also!!! so excited! Interviewed 10/15

Members don't see this ad :)
II today for Dec 3!!! Complete late September, Lizzy M 61. For those who have interviewed, what is the structure like? Open-file, conversational, ect.? What types of questions do they ask? Thanks!

II today for Dec 3!!! Complete late September, Lizzy M 61. For those who have interviewed, what is the structure like? Open-file, conversational, ect.? What types of questions do they ask? Thanks!
Congrats!
It's good to know that they're sending II for people complete in September. Complete mid September here (pick me, choose me, love me :woot:)

Interview is open file, 3 on 1, two faculty and and admissions member. Mine was more interview than conversation and the two faculty were completely emotionless most of the time but not bad. Interviews are first thing in the morning too

Interview is open file, 3 on 1, two faculty and and admissions member. Mine was more interview than conversation and the two faculty were completely emotionless most of the time but not bad. Interviews are first thing in the morning too
How long did your interview last? I am interviewing here on Monday and wondering how intense the interview is

Who were your faculty interviewers?

Just wanted to throw in a plug. Many of you have already interviewed, but others are still looking forward to theirs and here is some advice for you:

First off, since you have an interview, you have a great shot at getting in. WVSOM has one of the highest acceptance rates for those they interview. They look heavily at your application to make sure students fit their mission. They do not care about your grades as much as your fit with their mission. In your interview, just keep going back to how you want to work with underserved in rural areas, that you're interested in primary care (it wasn't my number 1, but I still slipped it in during the interview), and then about your interest in practicing in WV (This is important so check up on healthcares facts in WV)......For example, there is a massive opioid crisis in WV and it could be said that WV has the most unhealthy people in the nation in terms of things like obesity, diabetes, etc. When I brought that up, they were excited that I knew any of that information.

As far as the interview process.....you'll get there and have your interview right away. I had to sit and wait for a while in the admissions building so you just chat with other interviewees and it's kind of a dreadful wait. Then you go in for your interview and it lasts 30-45 minutes. You will have multiple people asking you questions, but they are generally easy and super conversational. You shouldn't stress too much about it. They just want to get to know you better. You'll feel like you did a lot of waiting around in the admissions building and you are right. When everyone is done interviewing, you'll go on a tour and then have lunch with some students. Ask them whatever you want and be engaged. Each student has the ability to write you a review that will go in your admissions file and play a role into your acceptance. For those of you who know students who are already attending WVSOM, you can talk with them about submitting a letter to the admissions committee to further recommend you for acceptance.

Hopefully this will answer most of your interview questions, but if you have any more, I would be happy to answer. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!
It's good to know that they're sending II for people complete in September. Complete mid September here (pick me, choose me, love me :woot:)

I guess that’s bad news for me. I was complete beginning of August and I haven’t heard anything yet.

I guess that’s bad news for me. I was complete beginning of August and I haven’t heard anything yet.

not necessarily... last year at least, WVSOM put me on the deferred and then finally let me know that it was all over in June. So at least compared to some schools they are not completely incommunicado. their admissions team is also very nice and responsive.

hold the faith...at least until you get that deferred status.

not necessarily... last year at least, WVSOM put me on the deferred and then finally let me know that it was all over in June. So at least compared to some schools they are not completely incommunicado. their admissions team is also very nice and responsive.

hold the faith...at least until you get that deferred status.

Fingers are definitely crossed. and I’m being proactive and retaking the MCAT in Jan. Just Incase that helps my chances... which based on my score... it will.

I don't necessarily think so. I know of at least one person who was complete at about the same time and I think even before and they interviewed last week. So keep the faith! :)

I don't necessarily think so. I know of at least one person who was complete at about the same time and I think even before and they interviewed last week. So keep the faith! :)

Thank you! I’m holding onto faith!! This is my favorite and number one school. I want to go here so badly!!

For anyone that has already interviewed, Did any interview questions stand out to you as particularly interesting or difficult to answer? would really appreciate the feedback

Just had a section for financial aid pop up on the portal. Still under review. Is this automatic for everyone, or does it mean something?

For anyone that has already interviewed, Did any interview questions stand out to you as particularly interesting or difficult to answer? would really appreciate the feedback

If you know why you wanna go there and why you wanna be a doctor you’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a section for financial aid pop up on the portal. Still under review. Is this automatic for everyone, or does it mean something?
I just checked my portal. I see the financial aid application too. Complete early sept. no II yet.

Same! Trying not to get my hopes up but they kinda are!!!

Be patient everyone. When I applied two years ago, I was complete in late August, was not offered an II until January, interviewed in February and accepted in March. Don't get too worked up about not hearing yet (I know, easier said than done).

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to everyone who has interviewed in the last week - Today should be review day, so I'm sure you will be getting calls. :soexcited:

To any current or past students from WVSOM: How is the support for individuals interested in pursuing fields other than primary care? I would like to keep my options open throughout medical school before fixing on any one field. Thanks!

I’m assuming the financial aid is there because FAFSA began on October 1

Rejected post interview. I'm bummed, but it's not over yet - may still get some love from another school. Congrats to all those admitted and still in the process, we got this :love:

Hey guys! Does anyone know if there is an official Facebook page for the class of 2023 yet?

Rejected post interview. I'm bummed, but it's not over yet - may still get some love from another school. Congrats to all those admitted and still in the process, we got this :love:
Keep your head up!! It is still early in the cycle. Did they notify you through email or the portal? When did you interview? If you don´t mind me asking of course.

Interviewing this coming Friday. Anyone know the total number of people in a class?

To any current or past students from WVSOM: How is the support for individuals interested in pursuing fields other than primary care? I would like to keep my options open throughout medical school before fixing on any one field. Thanks!

It depends on what you mean by "support". The school is very proud of and very much geared toward educating rural primary care physicians. However, there is nothing holding you back from doing well on the boards and pursuing a different specialty. There is also a physician mentorship program available for people to connect with attendings/residents in the field that they may be interested in. Also, part of the perk of having the fourth year be so flexible is that you can go wherever you want (as long as you fulfill the curriculum requirements) to get the rotation experiences needed to pursue whatever you want. (I think we get 10 weeks of electives 4th year and 4 weeks third year, although the third year ones have to be done within your statewide campus site if I am not mistaken)

How long was your Application under review before a decision was made for an interview? Was it about 3-4 weeks?