2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be a dumb idea for me to do this phone interview in my car on lunch break? It's the only quiet place I can think of, with roommates and co-workers everywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be a dumb idea for me to do this phone interview in my car on lunch break? It's the only quiet place I can think of, with roommates and co-workers everywhere.
I personally think that would be fine. It’s pretty quick. But hopefully no one comes knocking on your window wondering what you’re doing and distracting you.

Members don't see this ad :)
~50% Phone II get Campus II and ~50% of campus II get accepts was what I heard during the interview.
Just curious how this squares with the data in this year's MSAR, which shows ~20% post-interview acceptance rate, if I'm reading it correctly.

Just curious how this squares with the data in this year's MSAR, which shows ~20% post-interview acceptance rate, if I'm reading it correctly.
I’d say MSAR is correct, most people get on the waitlist as time goes on. However they pull a lot from the list.

I’d say MSAR is correct, most people get on the waitlist as time goes on. However they pull a lot from the list.
Thanks for the reply, @soysizle. I see now that in reading the MSAR I wasn't accounting for the ~3:1 ratio of acceptances to seats (the general rule of thumb I've gathered from SDN). When I do, it pushes up the post-interview acceptance rate to what @H20_Jay said.

MSAR only shows interview and matriculated student numbers remember schools must accept anywhere from 2x - 3x for every seat they have to fill out their class

Hey, anyone who interviewed 11/9, when do you think we will get our results back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance call! Interviewed 10/19, waitlisted 11/8, called today.

Apparently they weren't kidding when they said they have a very active waitlist.

Also for anyone curious I sent them no communications post-interview or post waitlist notification.

Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone received an II that had the phone interview on 11/19? I know they said the holidays might delay further communication, but thought I would ask.

Does anybody have any tips for the interview here? If you do, please message me! Thank you :)

Has anyone received an II that had the phone interview on 11/19? I know they said the holidays might delay further communication, but thought I would ask.
idk but i havent heard back since mid october

Reactions: 1 users
On campus II just now, interviewed on the phone almost 3 months ago. Lol

Phone II today, experience review completed on 8/19. I'm pretty surprised by this one!

phone interview 09/28, campus II today :') only 01/18 and 01/25 were available when i signed up

Reactions: 1 user
Campus II today! I had a phone interview back in August

Submitted secondaries 10/1 (I know, late as heck :rolleyes:), experience review on 10/2, phone interview offered 10/17 (completed 10/23), and got a campus interview invitation on 11/28

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all! For those who have been accepted, we have to accept our seat by December 28th. When we do this, will other medical schools see that we have accepted it? What should I do if I am waiting to hear back from a different medical school?

Just had the phone interview today.. Felt like I rambled on for one question. How important is this phone interview? As others probably already know that have had it, it felt very robotic - the guy just asked me a question, heard my answer and moved on next question, took like 15 minutes total. Are they even still giving out interviews this late in the game?

Hey y'all! For those who have been accepted, we have to accept our seat by December 28th. When we do this, will other medical schools see that we have accepted it? What should I do if I am waiting to hear back from a different medical school?

No other schools will know that you've been offered/accepted a seat at another school, this information isn't released until April(?) anymore. So by accepting the seat you are essentially reserving your spot. It's non-binding so if you are accepted elsewhere just be sure to notify WMed as soon as you can that you are declining to attend, so they can offer the spot to someone else.

AAMC traffic rules for applicants outlines how to handle acceptances: https://students-residents.aamc.org...lication-and-acceptance-protocols-applicants/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just had the phone interview today.. Felt like I rambled on for one question. How important is this phone interview? As others probably already know that have had it, it felt very robotic - the guy just asked me a question, heard my answer and moved on next question, took like 15 minutes total. Are they even still giving out interviews this late in the game?
Totally in the same boat right now. I felt like I completely bombed it. That, paired with a roughly 3 month gap between the email notifying me that I was under consideration for the phone interview and the actual interview itself...I, too, have very low hopes for the rest of the process. But who knows, we might get lucky!

Also, just looked on their website and it states that they have interviews through March.

I would assume if they are still doing phone interviews they are still looking to give out new campus interviews.

Also, has anyone from the 11/16 interview group heard back yet??

I would assume if they are still doing phone interviews they are still looking to give out new campus interviews.

Also, has anyone from the 11/16 interview group heard back yet??
I haven't yet, hoping we will hear in the next couple days but Thanksgiving break could have delayed our decisions

Had the phone interview today. Not hard questions, but I certainly could have done much better. I felt like I rambled on and didn't always have the best "evidence" to support my answer. Oh Well...all I can do now is keep my fingers crossed!
Experience Review complete 10/8
Phone interview 12/4

ok so maybe tmrw is the day for the next round of decisions? and no, i haven't been saying this every day this week...

Was accepted today! Received a phone call, but I couldn't take it. Then got an email a few minutes later with an offer!

Reactions: 4 users
Does WMed focus on your experiences and personal attributes over scores/GPA?

Accepted, interview 11/16 in state