2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does WMed focus on your experiences and personal attributes over scores/GPA?
Anecdotally it seems like the school likes interesting experiences (not necessarily your textbook premed checklist) and is more forgiving towards a lower undergrad GPA with a heavy emphasis on high MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! Very happy! 11/16 interview, IS, LM 70 woot woot!

Reactions: 1 users
WL 11/16 Interview, IS. Congrats to everybody who was accepted today, it was great getting to meet you all a few weeks ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally it seems like the school likes interesting experiences (not necessarily your textbook premed checklist) and is more forgiving towards a lower undergrad GPA with a heavy emphasis on high MCAT score.
You pretty much described me exactly and I'm interviewing here soon, so I'd say that's accurate!

Typically, is WMed pretty quick about rejections if they're certain you're not going to be a good fit?

WMed was definitely a stretch school for me considering my MCAT & sGPA stats and I've been complete since 9/2. Yet I haven't heard anything back regarding a phone interview or rejection.

Do they usually wait till the latter half of the cycle to send out R's? Or am I miraculously being considered beyond my scores?

Lizzy M is 65.9.

Typically, is WMed pretty quick about rejections if they're certain you're not going to be a good fit?

WMed was definitely a stretch school for me considering my MCAT & sGPA stats and I've been complete since 9/2. Yet I haven't heard anything back regarding a phone interview or rejection.

Do they usually wait till the latter half of the cycle to send out R's? Or am I miraculously being considered beyond my scores?

Lizzy M is 65.9.
They definitely consider your entire application. From MSAR, it appears they’re more forgiving of a low GPA if
you have a high MCAT (515+), so if that’s your situation I wouldn’t worry too much about your stats. Several people have been rejected already pre-phone interview/ pre-experience review. If you haven’t been rejected yet, they’re still considering you! Best of luck!

Experiences Review complete yesterday. What's the point of making me wait to find out about a phone interview if you literally just reviewed my app??

II this morning! One date in Jan. and one in Feb. Will be withdrawing and hope one of you gets that spot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a campus II today, phone interview last week.

Reactions: 2 users
In case anyone was curious, it looks like around 17% of applicants get invited for a phone II (600-700) and nearly half of those people get invited for an in person II according to last year’s thread

Edit- it looks like around 420 People will get an in person II so I’m guessing it’s closer to 800 phone II

Hey! I was just wondering - where did you find out this information?

Edit: I know you said last year's thread, but I was wondering if someone stated those numbers or if you had extrapolated.

Hey! I was just wondering - where did you find out this information?

Edit: I know you said last year's thread, but I was wondering if someone stated those numbers or if you had extrapolated.
Last year’s thread but extrapolated to MSAR data. I think Someone last year called and got those percents and I applied them to msar data

Anyone who has been accepted got merit aid yet? Think they said mid-December?

Any idea how generous it'd be? My stats are def very strong for WMed but not exceptional
I haven't heard back from them yet so not sure. Heard they were pretty generous a few years back but that was probably because they were newer then and needed to entice people

Can anyone else not check the status of your application? Every time I try, it says the page has been redirected too many times and tells me to clear my cookies but I've already done that.

I'd say that's a very accurate assessment

Did anyone receive merit-based award yet?

You interviewed on 12/7? That’s weird, I interviewed same day and didn’t hear anything from them yet.....

Had my phone interview in late September and haven’t heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat? Should I just assume it’s like a soft R?

Had my phone interview in late September and haven’t heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat? Should I just assume it’s like a soft R?
I wouldn’t give up hope, it took about 2.5 months to get a campus II after the phone interview for me

Got the R today
Submitted around early August
Pre-phone II
Good luck to everyone else!

Got the R today. Not how I was hoping to start the new year. Does anyone know if they’ll provide feedback if you call them?

To all with pre-phone II Rs, were your experience reviews complete? if so, for how long? And keep it up, cycle's not over yet!

Can anyone comment on the design of the mini-MMI... Number of stations, time allotted for each, etc? Or would that go against the NDA

I'm not too sure what they mean by "structured interview" but I have been prepping as if it were a traditional MMI

I was complete in November and still waiting for phone interveiw

I have an interview coming up next week and I'm debating whether to cancel or not. I could see myself going here if I were given some scholarship money, otherwise I wouldn't. Is there any current students here that can change my mind, (like persuade me to not go here). I know it's graded scale for first two years, one week breaks throughout curriculum for 1st and 2nd year, but other than that... I'm not sure what's special about this place. Step 1 after 3rd year seems meh....., but maybe it could be good? I am just really indecisive right now with this school.

Last edited:
Im interviewing here next week and I assume it will be cold... Do I need a coat to wear over my suit? If so, what kind of coat should I get (sorry for the noob question, it's 80 degrees where I live rn)

Im interviewing here next week and I assume it will be cold... Do I need a coat to wear over my suit? If so, what kind of coat should I get (sorry for the noob question, it's 80 degrees where I live rn)

The interview + tour will only be inside the building (which is heated) but you should wear a coat if you'll be cold from the car to the building. I believe there is a coat rack at check-in. Maybe go for a neutral color like black so that it doesn't look jarring. I attended the interview in November so I'm assuming it was less cold then but I opted for a North face puffer jacket and I was fine in Michigan. I would also recommend ultra warm thermals from Uniqlo if you're like me and tend to get cold easily.

Other stores that sell winter jackets are Superdry, Uniqlo, and Macy's (among many others). I would also recommend visiting a North Face outlet if you can if you want to save some money.

Oh I've also heard of electric jackets but I can't personally attest to how safe/effective they are because I've never owned one.