2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else interviewing on February 15th? Also how is the taxi situation in Kalamazoo? Uber?

Plenty of Ubers /Lyfts

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning! Super hype. Phone interview was 11/21.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the WL!!! OOS, Interviewed 10/26

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today (call around 3 pm CT then email). Was previously WL on 12/6 so it's definitely an active WL! OOS, interviewed 11/16

Reactions: 5 users
Interview Invite last Wednesday!! Phone interview way back in August. OOS.

I am incredibly excited to travel to Kalamazoo and check out WMed! Feeling blessed right now.

To all those still waiting, there is hope!!

Reactions: 5 users
The interview confirmation page says that the day starts at 9:30. Is this true? Trying to decide if it is worthwhile to rent a hotel or if it would be better to drive from the east side of the state in the morning.

The interview confirmation page says that the day starts at 9:30. Is this true? Trying to decide if it is worthwhile to rent a hotel or if it would be better to drive from the east side of the state in the morning.

Yes, but keep in mind you’ll want to plan to get there 15-20 minutes before that, and will have to deal with traffic and stuff if you drive there in the morning. I would definitely recommend staying in a motel/hotel/airbnb the night before, if for nothing but the peace of mind.

You never know how the weather will be too

Members don't see this ad :)
Should updates/LOIs, etc. be send to admission email or on the update portal?

I've sent mine via email and they responded the next business day confirming my update.

Reactions: 1 users
R just now, at least they're not dragging me along anymore. Good luck all!

ACCEPTED interviewed 1/18! just got the phone call 2:50 PM EST.

Reactions: 3 users
Mine was pre II :(
Same here.
Screenshot_20190201-092654.jpeg

Just got an II haha. Phone Interview complete Nov 5th. I have been accepted elsewhere and will decline the II, but the only date available was March 1st for anyone interested.

Just got an II haha. Phone Interview complete Nov 5th. I have been accepted elsewhere and will decline the II, but the only date available was March 1st for anyone interested.
Ah farts. I was hoping to get an II- phone interview a week after yours- but it's not looking promising. Bummer.

Woke up to an email this morning with "Your WMed Application" in the subject line. Figured it was going to be a post-phone interview rejection. Turns out was an on campus II!!! Super stoked!

Reactions: 8 users
Woke up to an email this morning with "Your WMed Application" in the subject line. Figured it was going to be a post-phone interview rejection. Turns out was an on campus II!!! Super stoked!
Congrats!! when was your phone interview?

perhaps there is hope for us all! it would be awesome to hear when you had your phone interview and also some of your stats (IS/OOS) if you're comfortable sharing those. :)

I spoke with admissions today who confirmed that are still a few dates in February and 1 date in March that still have spots available. keep the faith!

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students? I can't seem to find one.

usually how much are the scholarship offers? also, what kind of stuff is there around kalamazoo (ex. shops, grocery stores, fast food, etc...)

usually how much are the scholarship offers? also, what kind of stuff is there around kalamazoo (ex. shops, grocery stores, fast food, etc...)
one of my favorite brewery's, Bells, is in Kalamazoo if I'm not mistaken

So I’m not sure exactly how the scholarships are given I know there’s need based and merit based. They can range from a couple grand to 1/2 tuition.

As for grocery stores we have a Trader Joe’s, Costco, 2 Aldis, 2 Meijers, target, and some smaller organic markets.

As for fast food, there’s McDonald’s, subway, jimmy Johns, Culver’s, chic-fil-a, blaze pizza, chipotle, a bunch of other stuff

Shopping, there’s a mall a few miles out that has your typical department stores like Macy’s, JC penny, forever 21, etc...

Nightlife, a lot of bars, breweries, there are like a few clubs that everyone goes to, two of them are undergrad places and the other is more down town.

one of my favorite brewery's, Bells, is in Kalamazoo if I'm not mistaken

I stopped in there after my interview with a friend who lives in the area and there were some M1's celebrating the end of a block there too! So I think it's a popular spot! There's a restaurant attached too.

I stopped in there after my interview with a friend who lives in the area and there were some M1's celebrating the end of a block there too! So I think it's a popular spot! There's a restaurant attached too.
That’s awesome. I’m interviewing next week so ima check it out then!

Bell's is a nationally recognized brewery and is an awesome location. Downtown has some great beer gardens too to check out in warmer weather. Kzoo can be a good spot too for tours as far as some smaller bands and plays goes, as its halfway between Det and chicago. Source: did my undergrad at wmu

Congrats!! when was your phone interview?

perhaps there is hope for us all! it would be awesome to hear when you had your phone interview and also some of your stats (IS/OOS) if you're comfortable sharing those. :)

Sorry for the late reply. My phone interview was 12.3. I'm OOS, 515/3.33 cGPA/3.1ish sGPA/3.1ish Master's. Lots of scribing and MCAT tutoring experience under my belt with 2 research papers, too.

Accepted students/current students: Is sending back that "Enrollment Commitment" that comes with the offer of admission binding? I am considering WMed but I have also been accepted to other schools so I want to make sure it's not binding...

Accepted students/current students: Is sending back that "Enrollment Commitment" that comes with the offer of admission binding? I am considering WMed but I have also been accepted to other schools so I want to make sure it's not binding...
Absolutely not binding.

usually how much are the scholarship offers? also, what kind of stuff is there around kalamazoo (ex. shops, grocery stores, fast

Scholarships vary up to a limited number of 20k ones. As to shops, Kalamazoo has pretty much everything in terms of retail or food (or its in portage, 10 mins down the road). Lots of local shows, breweries, etc as well.

Due to AAMC traffic rules, it's not binding. Still, if you have other options (congrats, that's awesome) and wouldn't seriously consider going here...It's probably best to decline.