2018-2019 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do most WMed students live?
I think something like 2/3 of students live within walking/biking distance. Skyrise apts, Kalamazoo commons, South st properties, the vine neighborhood. Some student hotspots a little further away from campus are Dover Hills and Drake pond to name a few.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anybody else interview last Friday (2/15)?? I don't have any updates. Just hi and I hope we all get in. Good luck, everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users
A while back I got an email saying I'll be considered for the Bridge program. Anyone know what percentage of people who are considered end up getting accepted? And is it just supposed to be for URM students?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel hopeful! I interviewed here a while ago, and I think I have a chance. Just got to hang on...come on WMed!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if additional people are still being considered for interviews? My phone interview was very late (January, 14th) and I'm unsure if I should even cling to any hope of an in-person interview...

Does anyone know if additional people are still being considered for interviews? My phone interview was very late (January, 14th) and I'm unsure if I should even cling to any hope of an in-person interview...
I called recently and they said their last interview day is Friday. I completely relate though - I was still clinging to hope until I called!!

I called recently and they said their last interview day is Friday. I completely relate though - I was still clinging to hope until I called!!
Weird, when I asked them last week they said that they would be sending out II for at least a couple of more weeks

Waitlisted today after an awesome campus visit on 2/15! I would absolutely love to attend WMed, but if I don't hear back favorably from Admissions before 5/1, my deposit at my 2nd choice will become non-refundable and I'll probably have to start looking for housing. I was told that the waitlist is not ranked; does that mean that waitlisted applicants simply accumulate in chronologic order and get offers periodically through the spring?

TL;DR - Does anyone have any idea as to how long I might be waiting to hear back re: the waitlist if I interviewed 2/15 and was waitlisted 3/4? Trying to get a sense of this from past cycles.

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted today after an awesome campus visit on 2/15! I would absolutely love to attend WMed, but if I don't hear back favorably from Admissions before 5/1, my deposit at my 2nd choice will become non-refundable and I'll probably have to start looking for housing. I was told that the waitlist is not ranked; does that mean that waitlisted applicants simply accumulate in chronologic order and get offers periodically through the spring?

TL;DR - Does anyone have any idea as to how long I might be waiting to hear back re: the waitlist if I interviewed 2/15 and was waitlisted 3/4? Trying to get a sense of this from past cycles.

I was waitlisted shortly after my interview and then was accepted about a month ago so there definitely is movement! Also a lot of schools are making decisions in the next 2 weeks before March 15th, so I would guess that some people holding onto a WMed acceptance will get into a top choice and let go of their acceptance. While this is all speculation, I guess I'm just saying there's tons of hope still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that the waitlist is not ranked; does that mean that waitlisted applicants simply accumulate in chronologic order and get offers periodically through the spring?
My understanding of unranked waitlist system is that it's not chronological. Pure speculation, but I think it means they will select someone with similar backgrounds/stats/experiences/personality etc as the person withdrawing.

My understanding of unranked waitlist system is that it's not chronological. Pure speculation, but I think it means they will select someone with similar backgrounds/stats/experiences/personality etc as the person withdrawing.

This is pretty spot on. I think they like to maintain a diverse class and this is a good way to do that as opposed to a ranked list. I believe they review your application ~every time they meet to discuss applicants.

Accepted! Interviewed 2/15, I am completely shocked. I thought we would just be interviewing for the WL. This is my first MD acceptance!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
does anyone know if all of the scholarships have been granted by wmed ? i was accepted awhile ago but haven't heard anything about that :///

does anyone know if all of the scholarships have been granted by wmed ? i was accepted awhile ago but haven't heard anything about that :///
There is one more scholarship meeting in April, they mentioned as applicants begin to narrow down their choices there will be some redistribution.

Last edited:
When you poured your heart into your 2/15 interview, thought it went well & still get waitlisted at WMed

E1153D38-A629-4A01-95B9-AF2A583906FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
WL. Interviewed 2/22. Completed in August and phone Interview was 9/7 last year (it was a loooong time). LizzyM 68

100% match rate this year, per WMed social media!

did anyone else find it weird how their dedicated step 1 time was over christmas break? 3rd year can be rough and the only real holiday break you have you're now spending 12+ hours a day studying for step over christmas and new years

Hiya folks,

It randomly came to my attention that the 2019 AAMC Traffic Rules affecting the current cycle are “different”. I tried to skim over the changes in hopes of giving the WL folks some clarification with regard to movement as it relates to any general school, but this won’t specify anything that cannot be found on the AAMC website.

Basically, these are the dates to look out for:

2/19 to 4/15: If holding at least one acceptance, acceptees can designate one school as “plan to enroll” or “commit to enroll” (after April 30th) or not mark anything.

How does it effect *insert school*? ... they can see how many of the folks they offered acceptances to, marked *insert school* as either “plan” or “commit”. *insert school* cannot see individual info nor what other acceptances that applicant may have, only aggregate numbers for them and the other schools.

Example:

Acceptances Given: 150 (class of 90)
Acceptees Marking *insert school* as Plan to enroll: 70 (tentative)
Acceptees NOT marking *insert school*: 80 (tentative)
“Unmarked” *insert school* spots (aka POTENTIALLY open spot): 20 (tentative)

Logic: *insert school* has to re-evaluate how much they want truly want certain applicants as they have no idea if they selected *insert school*. This is where you may see some folks have money and etc offered to them as incentives. Again, “insert school” is doing this COMPLETELY BLIND. Also, you MAY have a few people pulled from the waitlist if interest was strong enough but unlikely if the school feels the pool of given acceptances is enough and they feel “confident” about potential matriculants. Nothing at this stage is binding and schools know NOTHING about individuals nor whether they have 2 or 8 acceptances.

4/15 to 4/30: Acceptees must narrow down their choices to two or three choices

How does it effect *insert school*? ... the aggregate number may increase or decrease and they start pulling from WL

Example:

Acceptances Given: 150 (class of 90)
Acceptees Marking *insert school* as Plan/Commit: 80 (tentative)
Acceptees NOT marking “insert school”: 70 (this part is a little ambiguous.. but 70 students picked one of 2-3 OTHER schools instead of *insert school* as plan/commit, so *insert school* may still be in the running (as one of the non-specifically chosen 2 of 3) or has been eliminated by the acceptee
“Unmarked” *insert school* spots (aka POTENTIALLY open spot): 10 (tentative)

Logic: *insert school* is feeling confident that they are the one of THREE remaining schools for 80 applicants they accepted, that also marked them as plan to enroll. They still DO NOT KNOW who marked them though. They now have at LEAST 10 seats open, so they’ll more likely start to pull off the WL.

NOTE: those 80 students that marked *insert name* school may STILL be on other WL’s or decide to “commit” to one of the other 2 schools, or they’re dream school in case it pulls THEM off the WL. Again, NOTHING IS SET IN STONE!

Example:

Total Acceptances Given: 164
WL-ed given acceptances: 14

4/30 and beyond..... *insert school* can now see detailed individual status of every applicant they’ve accepted and acceptee must narrow down to ONE school with either plan to enroll or (now available) commit to enroll, but they can still interview, stay on WL’s and etc.

Example:

Total Acceptances Given: 175 (some applicants got into their dream schools!)
WL-ed given acceptances: 32 (some of them also got into their dream schools!)
Total *insert school* seats marked as either “plan to enroll” or “commit to enroll”: 90 (those who select “commit” MUST withdraw from ALL other admissions considerations)

Logic: *insert school* can now see exactly who they have and who has marked them as “plan” or “commit”, as well as whether that student is also in any other WL’s or Alternate Lists. *insert school* may now require acceptees to “commit” or rescind acceptance offer within x amount of time (depends on the school) or make non-refundable deposit after x date

Conclusion? ... schools are completely blind until 4/30, at which point they can start to “poach” WL’ed applicants who may have other acceptances, and offer them their own acceptance, and have them reject their other original acceptance.

Example: *Ivy League School* poaches *mid-tier accepted applicant* = applicant ditches mid-tier for Ivy

The difference is that BEFORE 4/30: no school can see what another is doing.
AFTER 4/30: schools (who perceive they have distinct leverage) can get..... “not-so-nice” when pulling from their waitlist.

Not sure if this helps anyone but I figure some clarification is always nice as everyone waits for the next 5-6 weeks to pan out!

Best of luck!

Danny

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone actually get a rejection post interview? I'm trying to stay positive about my WL, but it seems like I've seen so many people post that they got wait listed, it makes me wonder how long the list actually is....

The WL is probably pretty big, because 2/3-3/4 (I can't remember which) of people are accepted from the waitlist. It seems from looking at this thread and past threads, that not a lot of people are rejected post in person interview. So either you'll be accepted or waitlisted. Additionally, it seems that people are accepted 1 month from being put on the waitlist. I would worry if I was put on the wl but nothing happened after a month or so.

Hope that helped!

Do any of the current students know if we are allowed to use to gym on the wmu main campus?

Do any of the current students know if we are allowed to use to gym on the wmu main campus?
You get a reduced price to use it. 180 for the academic year. Based on the main campus’s schedule.

I think there's a (small) gym in the actual med school building, but I'm not sure about size, quality, etc. Can anyone speak to that as well?

I think there's a (small) gym in the actual med school building, but I'm not sure about size, quality, etc. Can anyone speak to that as well?

There is a small gym in the med school building. I believe it has some free weights, a bench or two, and a few machines. One student said he used that gym when he didn’t have time to go elsewhere.

There is a small gym in the med school building. I believe it has some free weights, a bench or two, and a few machines. One student said he used that gym when he didn’t have time to go elsewhere.
its kinda like a hotel gym lol

Hey everyone sorry for posting this again but I didn't get a response the last time. I'm being considered for the Bridge to MD program, and I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what percentage of those being considered end up getting accepted.

Hey everyone sorry for posting this again but I didn't get a response the last time. I'm being considered for the Bridge to MD program, and I'm wondering if anyone knows roughly what percentage of those being considered end up getting accepted.
It’s kind of hard to say. I know they really work with you to get in. There just haven’t been enough students for me to say percentage wise. I know two that have gotten in. They started with the class of 2020 and they were the first bridge to MD class, one got into the next class (2021), the other student got in my class (2022), so they were able to work with that particular student so they could get in. This year will be interesting because we have 8 students in the masters program currently and we’ll start to have a better understanding of who gets in directly after completing the 1 year program. I do know the school wants to get everyone in after successfully completing the program.

Last edited: