2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who got invited for interviews, are you out of state or in state?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean by transfer applicant...
like transferring from med schools?
or a transfer from community college to university?

What does it mean by transfer applicant...
like transferring from med schools?
or a transfer from community college to university?
im sure it means transferring from medical schools

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone actually filling out close to 500 words per prompt? I have like 150...

Is anyone actually filling out close to 500 words per prompt? I have like 150...

My essays ranged between 200-350. I have an interview here, for what its worth. Quality over quantity. I'm sure adcoms don't want to read fluff as much as we don't want to write it. Give them the baby without the labor.

Hmm... I got (and completed) the secondary for the other school, but have yet to receive Lebanon. Should I keep waiting?

Hmm... I got (and completed) the secondary for the other school, but have yet to receive Lebanon. Should I keep waiting?
my lebanon secondary came in almost a week after the pomona one

Has anyone that has got an II not shadowed a DO? I'm concerned this is holding me back

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about transportation to and from Portland?
I live in the area. There is an airport shuttle that will take you from Portland to Eugene, with many stops along the way. I believe there is one in Albany, if not Corvallis.

Is anyone still waiting for their letters to be verified? My portal says they received my primary July 11th and I submitted the secondary two weeks ago and it still has "awaiting" by my LOR requirements

Is anyone still waiting for their letters to be verified? My portal says they received my primary July 11th and I submitted the secondary two weeks ago and it still has "awaiting" by my LOR requirements
I submitted mid july and just yesterday they were verified!

Wow so what's that, like four weeks to process?
I guess I'll just have to keep waiting then lol

What do you mean verified. Did you get a complete email? Or did everything finally show up with dates on your portal?

Submitted my secondary 3 weeks ago and still says letters need to be verified. Called admissions to follow up today. Was told not to expect anything until September...

Last edited:
What do you mean verified. Did you get a complete email? Or did everything finally show up with dates on your portal?

It just means they haven’t looked at your file yet. I guess it’s taking them a lot longer to go through than they anticipated.

Submitted my secondary 3 weeks ago and still says letters need to be verified. Called admissions to follow up today. Was told not to expect anything until September...

oh damn.... thanks for the heads up! I've been meaning to call them as well just haven't had the time with work and what not. Does that mean they won't even start sending II's until September?

oh damn.... thanks for the heads up! I've been meaning to call them as well just haven't had the time with work and what not. Does that mean they won't even start sending II's until September?

I was given an II on 7/27

They have sent out their first batch. Next batch will be early September. Not the best news, but I think a lot of people are in the same boat regardless of how early they submitted their apps.

They have sent out their first batch. Next batch will be early September. Not the best news, but I think a lot of people are in the same boat regardless of how early they submitted their apps.

Oh I understand now...well its good to hear that they're moving rather slowly.. keeps hope alive! haha

Does anyone’s references say waived instead of received? I turned them in. One of the letters says received but my physician and science prof ones say waived? Thought I’d ask here before emailing them, I know they are busy.

Does anyone’s references say waived instead of received? I turned them in. One of the letters says received but my physician and science prof ones say waived? Thought I’d ask here before emailing them, I know they are busy.
mine does for the physician... I am confused as well. I have an MD and DO reference, so I can't imagine it is a bad thing?

Yep, I had a committee packet which included all the letter types they required and got the "waived" status on one of the letters as well. Nothing to be concerned about.

Does anyone else's portal have no status updates? Been done for a while now

My status also indicates "waived." I have both MD and DO references. Sounds like this is fine though.

II today! IS, submitted 7/31, letters were received 8/3!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else struggling with the clinical experiences in the NW essay? I have zero ties to the NW and have never been there, although Seattle is my dream city to live in eventually and I really love the natural environment there. But I feel like that is such a shallow reason and idk how to craft an essay with substance, unless I repeat things I already mentioned in the why COMP-NW essay.

Anyone else struggling with the clinical experiences in the NW essay? I have zero ties to the NW and have never been there, although Seattle is my dream city to live in eventually and I really love the natural environment there. But I feel like that is such a shallow reason and idk how to craft an essay with substance, unless I repeat things I already mentioned in the why COMP-NW essay.
I wrote about those exact same things you mentioned and they seemed to like it, haha. Honestly, if you’re genuine about why you want to work somewhere, let that shine through in your writing and I would bet it won’t come across as shallow. Do a quick google search about healthcare in the PNW to give you some ideas. You’d be surprised how a lot of their medical ideologies center around the environment.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my interview on the 25th! Super super excited!

Does anyone know if all the longitudinal tracks offered at COMP-Pomona are also offered at COMP-NW? I know that the rural track is specific to NW, but wondering if other tracks are also offered. It's pretty vague on their website, I've been making conclusions based on whether the advisors for the track had a northwest email or a pomona email. I guess I could call or email them too, haha. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Nevermind, I think I found my answer. Looks like they have a staff member from each campus for each track except the rural one.

Does anyone know if all the longitudinal tracks offered at COMP-Pomona are also offered at COMP-NW? I know that the rural track is specific to NW, but wondering if other tracks are also offered. It's pretty vague on their website, I've been making conclusions based on whether the advisors for the track had a northwest email or a pomona email. I guess I could call or email them too, haha. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Nevermind, I think I found my answer. Looks like they have a staff member from each campus for each track except the rural one.

Can confirm this! COMP-NW has rural health, applied anatomy, research, global health, longitudinal care, and lifestyle med for tracks.

Can confirm this! COMP-NW has rural health, applied anatomy, research, global health, longitudinal care, and lifestyle med for tracks.
Thank you so much! Extremely helpful, I want to incorporate the ones I'm interested in in my secondaries!

I hadn’t initially planned on adding any more schools to my app list (pennies are dwindling) but this school has recently attracted my interest. I used to live in the PNW but live in Ohio now. However, I’ve never been to Lebanon, OR. If any students are on this thread, could you tell me a bit about the place? How does it compare to Bend, Eugene or Portland? I’m guessing it has more of an Ashland vibe.

I hadn’t initially planned on adding any more schools to my app list (pennies are dwindling) but this school has recently attracted my interest. I used to live in the PNW but live in Ohio now. However, I’ve never been to Lebanon, OR. If any students are on this thread, could you tell me a bit about the place? How does it compare to Bend, Eugene or Portland? I’m guessing it has more of an Ashland vibe.

Definitely not an Ashland vibe lol I’m an Oregonian, it’s a small community but close to medium sized cities. It’s a farming community, not like Portland or Eugene or Bend.. it’s close to mountains and hiking, Salem and Corvallis are pretty close and there’s more to do in those cities.

So more like an Ellensburg, WA? That’s where I did my undergrad.

Thoughts on the school for someone not focused on FM?

So more like an Ellensburg, WA? That’s where I did my undergrad.

Thoughts on the school for someone not focused on FM?

They seem to have good residency placements from what I’ve seen.

I’ve only ever been to Ellensburg for sports but it’s not as isolated as Central wash. U More to do, Portland is probably only 1.5 hours away and OSU is in Corvallis, big university town. Eugene is close too.

They seem to have good residency placements from what I’ve seen.

I’ve only ever been to Ellensburg for sports but it’s not as isolated as Central wash. U More to do, Portland is probably only 1.5 hours away and OSU is in Corvallis, big university town. Eugene is close too.

Okay that pings my brain. I seem to have an idea of the place now. Thanks. Sounds like a nice spot.

I do miss my trees and actual mountains. School does look match heavy towards FM but I suppose most schools will have that. I guess one more app isn’t going to hurt. I think I’d like that area. Will have to submit my app tonight when I get home.

Thanks again. Be safe back there. The smoke is pretty awful I’m seeing.

Okay that pings my brain. I seem to have an idea of the place now. Thanks. Sounds like a nice spot.

I do miss my trees and actual mountains. School does look match heavy towards FM but I suppose most schools will have that. I guess one more app isn’t going to hurt. I think I’d like that area. Will have to submit my app tonight when I get home.

Thanks again. Be safe back there. The smoke is pretty awful I’m seeing.

Thanks! It’s not as bad as last summer, we definitely get a lot of forest fires around here. I think it’s a nice area because I don’t love Eugene or Portland, Bend is one of my favorite places tho