2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm trying to get a sense of where I'm at in the review process and get some reference points from others. I know COMP-NW goes at their own speed, so I know no matter what I'll have to be patient.

June 21: Primary sent
July 19: Secondary request
August 1: Secondary submitted
August 23: Green checkmarks on everything (with a note/message at the top of the portal that reads "status updates will be seen here")
August 31: (that message disappears, but portal status is "Submitted")

Because of the location and quality of school COMP-NW is very high on my list... I'm a lower stat applicant (for certain underdog status), but I have received 5 II's (have already attended 3) and have snagged 1 acceptance already. I put a lot of TLC into my essays, and I believe that has helped a lot (I placed maybe even more energy into my COMP-NW essays).

For individuals with average or lower stats that have received interviews about how long did it take to hear back after being complete? Also, has anyone received a rejection? And one last question does COMP-NW silent reject?
I was rejected (applied late) last year, and I got an email. So i don't think they do silent, it just may take a while :) I also have avg MCAT, avg. grades

Members don't see this ad.

Quick turn around for you guys! Congrats!!! Hoping for an acceptance here too, I loved the school. Hard to gauge how the interview went

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. First acceptance. Super cool.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone receive any sort of update beyond the acceptance call? My voicemail said I should have received an email that evening and it's been awhile. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Still waiting for my secondaries.. Submitted 8/21. Seems like it can take up to a month, can anyone verify? Its the only school I applied to :oops:
Also I'm trying to remember how many spots there are, is it around a hundred?

Still waiting for my secondaries.. Submitted 8/21. Seems like it can take up to a month, can anyone verify? Its the only school I applied to :oops:
Also I'm trying to remember how many spots there are, is it around a hundred?
Yeah around 100. They said peak time is September for applications so you may be in the rush. Just hang tight. Only school?? Are you local?

Interesting, do you mean about 100 spots left?

I think med was saying there are ~100 seats in the class. I attached an infographic from their website about last year’s class. The average gpa and MCAT are also on the site if you want to gander at it.

Attachments

• 43EC6EB0-E350-4AC4-865F-07A6B36B083B.png
    43EC6EB0-E350-4AC4-865F-07A6B36B083B.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive any sort of update beyond the acceptance call? My voicemail said I should have received an email that evening and it's been awhile. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!
Also waiting for any other sort of communication beyond phone call, my portal hasn’t updated at all either. Assuming at this point it’ll come over snail mail?

I think med was saying there are ~100 seats in the class. I attached an infographic from their website about last year’s class. The average gpa and MCAT are also on the site if you want to gander at it.
Ohhh thanks for the clarification and info! I thought there were more seats, now I’m more anxious haha. I guess there are for Pomona, which is a bright side.

Awesome! I am still waiting to hear back from them. Did you get an interview to last month's or just a few days ago? Any advice on questions I should ask during my interview?
1st interview. I didn't have many questions for them. I forced a few quality of life and support systems questions. I came up with one or two before hand and just spouted them off like a robot when they asked. Very minor. Try to keep things conversational. They are people who like to be entertained and engaged by conversation just like you and I do.

Yeah around 100. They said peak time is September for applications so you may be in the rush. Just hang tight. Only school?? Are you local?
Yes, Eugene (about an hr away) and not wanting to move too far. Thnx for the info, hanging tight :xf:

Also waiting for any other sort of communication beyond phone call, my portal hasn’t updated at all either. Assuming at this point it’ll come over snail mail?
I spoke too soon, just got an email and portal update with an official offer of acceptance! Took about 5 days after the phone call

Rejection with stats higher than the average!
Make sure those with upcoming interviews have a VERY GOOD reason why the rural location and why the Pacific Northwest. Also don’t bring up the neurologist faculty member that thinks physician burnout isn’t a thing in your interview like I did lol

Just got accepted today with an email to check my portal status. Never got a phone call. Super stoked!

Congrats on those accepted. Still here waiting for an interview haha. Those accepted mind sharing stats?

Low 60's LizzyM, I guess? Not willing to get too specific. My stats are not spectacular; I would say the rest of my app is pretty unique and I have some things that make me stand out more than the average applicant. I have some things probably zero other applicants have. Very non-traditional.

Reactions: 4 users
Low 60's LizzyM, I guess? Not willing to get too specific. My stats are not spectacular; I would say the rest of my app is pretty unique and I have some things that make me stand out more than the average applicant. I have some things probably zero other applicants have. Very non-traditional.

Congratssss!!!!!! How was your interviewing experience at COMP NW if you don't mind sharing? I have one coming up with them soon and would like to hear some feedback from my fellow applicants :)

I went to this in the past and wore a button up with some khakis and tennis shoes and was over dressed in comparison to the students. Causal literally means casual. I’ll wear jeans and an untucked button up next time

THERE'S A PIZZZA SOCIAL?! Does it happen the day before or after the interview?

THERE'S A PIZZZA SOCIAL?! Does it happen the day before or after the interview?
Its the night before. The II email says to RSVP, not sure if others did, but I just sent Donna a quick message and she responded shortly after to confirm.

For those who have already interviewed that stayed in Portland before/after the interview, Portlandians (Portlandos? Portlandnites?), or really anyone familiar with Portland, what is a restaurant you absolutely recommend? Staying in Portland after the interview and want to get my grub on. Last interview I went to, the hotel staff recommended BJ's Brewhouse and On-The-Border as local must eats :uhno:.

For those who have already interviewed that stayed in Portland before/after the interview, Portlandians (Portlandos? Portlandnites?), or really anyone familiar with Portland, what is a restaurant you absolutely recommend? Staying in Portland after the interview and want to get my grub on. Last interview I went to, the hotel staff recommended BJ's Brewhouse and On-The-Border as local must eats :uhno:.
I've NEVER eaten a bad meal in Portland (excluding gas stations/fast food). Literally close your eyes and click google maps.

Lots to reply to:

Interview process was amazing. Relax. Like, super relax. Very cool. Curriculum just changed, for the better in my opinion.

Go to the pizza social. Very casual.

Portland does have a lot of amazing food. I wouldn't say anywhere on google maps, but close. Food trucks downtown, literally anywhere in Multnomah Village in Southwest, Pope House near the Pearl, literally anywhere in Southeast. Where are you staying and when do you need food? PM me if it will let you.

secondary submitted 8/17. Had a message on the application saying "sent for review". When I checked today, that message disappeared. Any idea what that means?

secondary submitted 8/17. Had a message on the application saying "sent for review". When I checked today, that message disappeared. Any idea what that means?
This happened to me as well a few days ago. Uh oh...

Lol @TheRealCookieMonster :laugh:

I wouldn't worry. Also had this happen. Submitted secondary 7/21. But then of course, I haven't got an II yet either...

Lots to reply to:

Interview process was amazing. Relax. Like, super relax. Very cool. Curriculum just changed, for the better in my opinion.

Go to the pizza social. Very casual.

Portland does have a lot of amazing food. I wouldn't say anywhere on google maps, but close. Food trucks downtown, literally anywhere in Multnomah Village in Southwest, Pope House near the Pearl, literally anywhere in Southeast. Where are you staying and when do you need food? PM me if it will let you.

SDN doesn't let me PM you. Do you mind PM me instead?

Sent to committee on 8/20 and just got an e-mail this morning saying my app is still being reviewed by the committee.. is this like a soft R or ??

To those who are anxiously waiting for an II:

Called admin office yesterday to check-in. Was told my app is still under committee review. This can take at least a few weeks depending on who is reviewing it. So if you got that "Congrats your app is under committee review" email a long time ago and still haven't heard back, don't panic.

I was also informed they will continue to send out batches of II's until March. They are receiving twice as many apps as they have interview slots. So those who applied early, good decision!

To those who are anxiously waiting for an II:

Called admin office yesterday to check-in. Was told my app is still under committee review. This can take at least a few weeks depending on who is reviewing it. So if you got that "Congrats your app is under committee review" email a long time ago and still haven't heard back, don't panic.

I was also informed they will continue to send out batches of II's until March. They are receiving twice as many apps as they have interview slots. So those who applied early, good decision!
Lol, I never even got that email -___-

My application homepage shows that my app status is "submitted" for a month. Should I expect a "under review" status? or is "submitted" means under review already?

Also how do you check the actual status of your app? Mine just has a check list of all the items like LORs and MCAT scores.

My application homepage shows that my app status is "submitted" for a month. Should I expect a "under review" status? or is "submitted" means under review already?

Also how do you check the actual status of your app? Mine just has a check list of all the items like LORs and MCAT scores.
I think those checkmarks are the status of your app, meaning it’s likely in line for review or being reviewed? Otherwise you can probably call for a more clear update. As advised above, I might do the same in a week or two. Same boat as you.

Interviewed Sept 6th. Anyone heard anything yet from that date?

Finally got to commitee review today

Last edited:
What’s a committee review? Does that happen after interview?

No just happens once your file is complete and sent to Lebanon for review. First stage, but I was on hold for a couple weeks waiting for another DO letter, so I’m happy to finally be moving forward

No just happens once your file is complete and sent to Lebanon for review. First stage, but I was on hold for a couple weeks waiting for another DO letter, so I’m happy to finally be moving forward
Ohhh, did you get an email for that? I’m still waiting for any sort of complete email haha. Thanks for your reply!

It’s that long email
Ohhh, did you get an email for that? I’m still waiting for any sort of complete email haha. Thanks for your reply!

Yep I did, this morning
“Good News, Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest (COMP-Northwest) Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time.”

I’ve actually gotten a couple from them, when they didn’t have a letter they reached out and told me my file was incomplete. When I uploaded the letter took about 48 hours before my “green” check marks showed up.

Did you emails go to junk folder?

It’s that long email

Yep I did, this morning
“Good News, Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Northwest (COMP-Northwest) Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time.”

I’ve actually gotten a couple from them, when they didn’t have a letter they reached out and told me my file was incomplete. When I uploaded the letter took about 48 hours before my “green” check marks showed up.

Did you emails go to junk folder?

I never got the complete email from COMP-NW or COMP-Pomona, but I am confident that my app is complete given that everything on my portal has the green check mark and date added.