2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Verified 5/21

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Top choice for me here!

Any current or past OMS want to chime in on how Western is/was for you?

Last edited:
Anyone received a secondary ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very interested in western. I'm a Cali resident (3.3 3.45 and 525). Just submitted primary to aacomas. Good luck everyone!

I'm hoping to apply here this cycle but taking my MCAT in August. Good luck everyone! :)

Just recieved a secondary this morning.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received for ca and or campuses today

The 500 words limit is really bothering me, for some of the prompt, it's just hard to come up with that many words without rumbling nonsense. How are you guys approaching these?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble reaching the payment page when submitting their application? Have been getting the following message since yesterday whenever I have tried: "This site is temporarily down for maintenance. We regret the inconvenience. Please try again later."

Current student. Happy to field Qs. DMs are fine if you feel so inclined.

A little about myself: lizzM: 69. From a UCSB/UCI/UCSD tier school. Ties to the region. Currently live in the Pomona area. Resoundingly average in terms of class rank with zero stress. Just finished my first year. I truly believe that western was a fantastic choice for me and I have no regrets.

Current student. Happy to field Qs. DMs are fine if you feel so inclined.

A little about myself: lizzM: 69. From a UCSB/UCI/UCSD tier school. Ties to the region. Currently live in the Pomona area. Resoundingly average in terms of class rank with zero stress. Just finished my first year. I truly believe that western was a fantastic choice for me and I have no regrets.

Are you planning on doing any research while at Pomona? Are there any opportunities for research and mentorship outside of primary care?

Are you planning on doing any research while at Pomona? Are there any opportunities for research and mentorship outside of primary care?

First of all, I'm not interested in a competitive specialty, so I'm not pursuing summer research. Additionally, I had 2+ years post-bac research with a pub, so I'm chilling and honestly haven't even looked.

But my impression based on my friends is that while we have some faculty that do research, it's limited. To give you a picture, in my undergrad lab, freshmen were given greater responsibility than at some of med students at the labs on campus. I have a friend who wanted clinical gas research. None on campus. They're doing it at a neighboring med school. That's a common story. Don't expect generous support from western either. The summer stipend for undergrads at a UC is higher than the summer stipend at western.

This is a common story at DO schools though. Research is skimpy. You're wayyyy better off going to a neighboring allopathic med school for research. Western is not an exception, though it still boasts better opportunities than many other DO schools.

First of all, I'm not interested in a competitive specialty, so I'm not pursuing summer research. Additionally, I had 2+ years post-bac research with a pub, so I'm chilling and honestly haven't even looked.

But my impression based on my friends is that while we have some faculty that do research, it's limited. To give you a picture, in my undergrad lab, freshmen were given greater responsibility than at some of med students at the labs on campus. I have a friend who wanted clinical gas research. None on campus. They're doing it at a neighboring med school. That's a common story. Don't expect generous support from western either. The summer stipend for undergrads at a UC is higher than the summer stipend at western.

This is a common story at DO schools though. Research is skimpy. You're wayyyy better off going to a neighboring allopathic med school for research. Western is not an exception, though it still boasts better opportunities than many other DO schools.
Daggum it, I lost track of this thread for some reason and just posted a question about it in the main forum. But you would probably be a great source of info.

If you can recall, how did you approach the research experience portion of the secondary, specifically the uploading files part? Did you upload your pub/posters there?

Thanks!

Just got verified today, how long does it take to get the secondary? Also can someone post the prompt? Ill just start writing it now.
Thanks

Clinical experience: No essay just filling out Dr. names, number, email, hours,
Research: Have you participated in Research? Why was this research experience valuable to you?
Also one about teaching experience, I said no, so not sure if there are any supplemental questions to go along with clicking yes.

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 Words)
2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 Words)
3. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Pomona Campus? (500 Words)
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 Words)
5. Is there anything in you application that you would like to explain to the admissions committee?

QUOTE="lilsebastian18, post: 20108379, member: 913780"]Clinical experience: No essay just filling out Dr. names, number, email, hours,
Research: Have you participated in Research? Why was this research experience valuable to you?
Also one about teaching experience, I said no, so not sure if there are any supplemental questions to go along with clicking yes.

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (500 Words)
2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you? (500 Words)
3. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Pomona Campus? (500 Words)
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 Words)
5. Is there anything in you application that you would like to explain to the admissions committee?
Awesome thanks! Wow this is a long secondary. How competitive is it in from OOS? Ik it's a private school but some have regional biases.[/QUOTE]

First column is Pomona. 89% IS, lol. Oops.

Attachments

• A88C7C53-F070-4D2B-A6B8-9AD35371CCAE.png
    A88C7C53-F070-4D2B-A6B8-9AD35371CCAE.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 235
Do they screen for secondary? If so, what is it?

Has anybody's secondary application checklist been verified yet? My letters of rec have still not been received by the school.

Has anybody's secondary application checklist been verified yet? My letters of rec have still not been received by the school.

I called about this earlier and was told they will be downloading all of the materials from AACOMAS in the coming days, so probably within the next week or so.

Does anyone know if a gerontology course would count towards there behavioral sciences requirement? I have tried getting in contact with them to no avail.

If you can recall, how did you approach the research experience portion of the secondary, specifically the uploading files part? Did you upload your pub/posters there?

I'm afraid I can't remember.

How competitive is it in from OOS?

We *do* interview OOS. My interview, one of the last ones, seemed to be a good number of OOS.

I do wonder about it though. We're among one of the much more expensive DO schools. the full COA is ~90k for 1st and 2nd year. If you're an OOS, would you want to take on that amount of debt? Lots of people, myself included, were willing to pay that premium because we're from the area. But it would have been a very tough choice otherwise. For instance, I crossed off CCOM because of its price.

Quick question. Do you think that coaching would be considered teaching? I say yes, but I am second guessing myself.

Quick question. Do you think that coaching would be considered teaching? I say yes, but I am second guessing myself.
I’d say yes. You’re shaping young minds. I don’t think it necessarily has to be in an academic setting to be considered teaching.

It's that time of year again,

Hello all, I'm a third year at COMP who would be happy to field any questions you may have.

Best of luck to all of you this year!

It's that time of year again,

Hello all, I'm a third year at COMP who would be happy to field any questions you may have.

Best of luck to all of you this year!
Thanks in advance for taking our questions.

what is your favorite and least favorite thing about Western? Do you think you're a good fit at Pomona and why?

Received my secondaries for both Westerns yesterday morning!

What type of files are people uploading for your research? Is it necessary? I am currently writing my manuscript based on my graduate thesis so I don't have a manuscript to upload yet. All I have are two posters and an abstract. Did anyone submit a poster?

Could you tell me what the prompt is for that questions? I'm trying to pre-write my secondaries.

Could you tell me what the prompt is for that questions? I'm trying to pre-write my secondaries.
It asks the subject, dates, grade level, and why it was meaningful to you.

I’m on the same boat as you, Appa. Fortunately, it’s not Prince Zuko’s.

I'm still waiting for my letters to be verified as well.

Thanks in advance for taking our questions.

what is your favorite and least favorite thing about Western? Do you think you're a good fit at Pomona and why?

Favorite: The clinical faculty, we have some great people on board that will go out of their way to help hone our skills. Our clinical training is very good in my opinion, we go out on rotations very well prepared. Match results, I believe we match very well with respect to our "tier" of medical school and therefore have good networking opportunities.

Least favorite: Not having our own dedicated clinical training facility/hospital (note: this is common amongst most DO schools) and cost of attendance.

I feel that I fit, but this is something you have to gauge when you visit the campus for interviews/preview day and speak with current students. I will say that comradery was very strong amongst our class and the classes below ours. People look out for one another, share resources, and are willing to help one another when they have the opportunity. Very little "gunner" atmosphere at COMP.

Hi there community! :) My app was verified along with my letters early June, but I have not received a secondary. Are the secondaries trickling in or are they sent out automatically?

Hi there community! :) My app was verified along with my letters early June, but I have not received a secondary. Are the secondaries trickling in or are they sent out automatically?
Same... not sure what's taking so long. This is the only DO secondary that other people have gotten that I'm still waiting on.

Same... not sure what's taking so long. This is the only DO secondary that other people have gotten that I'm still waiting on.
I think I saw somewhere that they send them out in batches, so just be patient they're still sending them probably. On last years thread it didn't look like people even started getting them until around the last week of July

I think I saw somewhere that they send them out in batches, so just be patient they're still sending them probably. On last years thread it didn't look like people even started getting them until around the last week of July

I just hate having to contact schools so I will definitely wait it out! I have enough secondaries I'm drowning in already anyway lol

I just received a secondary this morning! (LM 65)

Under secodnary applications for 2019, it says I have an in progress application for:

2019 App - DONW
2019 App - DO

anyone know what the differences are here?

Under secodnary applications for 2019, it says I have an in progress application for:

2019 App - DONW
2019 App - DO

anyone know what the differences are here?

DONW is the lebanon campus.

DONW is the lebanon campus.

okay thank you. that is what I was thinking, but I didn't get an email from the lebanon campus so I was confused why that one was available! thanks :)