2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know whether this school accepts update letters? I submitted my application in early July and have started a new job since then. I know that I have the "upload materials" tab available on my application- would this be an appropriate place to upload?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! I am not sure if I am reading the date correctly, but they got back to you in 10 days!? Do you mind sharing stats?
I was surprised too, I submitted my app super late bc I was waiting to shadow a DO. IS s3.68 c3.62 MCAT 509

I am wondering does the school offer faculty mentors for it students?? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats! What interview dates are they offering at this time?
they had a mid-December date that filled up before I could register. there is also a mid jan date

Reactions: 1 user
I am wondering does the school offer faculty mentors for it students?? Thank you!

Hey! The school is very good with communication and working with the students. You get both a school faculty mentor and a "COMPanion" (students from year above you so us next year) that you can work with as close or as little as you'd like. The faculty does really hard to mentor it's students and are pretty receptive to talking to us. The SGA at our school also works very closely to the faculty to give feedback and they make changes almost instantly if it can be done.

Hey! The school is very good with communication and working with the students. You get both a school faculty mentor and a "COMPanion" (students from year above you so us next year) that you can work with as close or as little as you'd like. The faculty does really hard to mentor it's students and are pretty receptive to talking to us. The SGA at our school also works very closely to the faculty to give feedback and they make changes almost instantly if it can be done.

Thank you so much for the information!

Just got II for December 17th!

Do any of you know if it's a one-on-one or MMI interview?

Thank you!

Have been waiting for four months can you please share me your stats? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got II for December 17th!

Do any of you know if it's a one-on-one or MMI interview?

Thank you!

Just finished my interview recently. They plan it for the entire morning/early afternoon. You have a series of presentations and tour. You are given two scenarios for MMI so you won't have an identity crisis for a long time. Also they do a group interview with 3-4 people for 30 minutes, usually with one student, one faculty, and one community member.

Have been waiting for four months can you please share me your stats? Thanks.

I'm a linkage student, my application process quite different. I don't even have my MCAT yet.

Just finished my interview recently. They plan it for the entire morning/early afternoon. You have a series of presentations and tour. You are given two scenarios for MMI so you won't have an identity crisis for a long time. Also they do a group interview with 3-4 people for 30 minutes, usually with one student, one faculty, and one community member.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. They said the whole thing should take from 8 am to 11 am...
they will skip tours and presentations I guess.

Current psychiatry-focused 3rd year here to answer questions that you can't look up online yourself (get used to verifying that answers aren't readily available). Currently rotating at my 2nd prison site (correctional medicine is lucrative and chill if your personality fits) and having a good time. Pick your school based on the true availability of hospital-based clinical clerkships, NOT based on "Step 1 average" or some inadequate objective like that. You would preferably have research done already, but ultimately, residencies care about having graduates who engage in scholarly activity, of which research is a subset amongst other options like being an informative YouTuber or blogger.

If you have few/no acceptances, and zero MD acceptances - WesternU is a decent school. If you want non-competitive specialties, are very independent, and know how to fly under the radar while at a school that treats you like children, you'll do fine here. [For example: Stanford students are treated day 1 as if they are going to do great things, contribute to the future of medical knowledge and the field itself. You are nurtured slowly by having increasing responsibility placed on you and being challenged slightly beyond your capacity. This is not the case at WesternU, which is fine... kind of. If you are very firmly grounded in your identity, are an influential leader to people around you, and know how to keep a couple of mentors willing to "raise you up", this is not a problem.]

If you PM me with what I deem to be a common question, I will likely copy-paste the text as a response here. But try to just keep it in the thread.

Reactions: 6 users
Current psychiatry-focused 3rd year here to answer questions that you can't look up online yourself (get used to verifying that answers aren't readily available). Currently rotating at my 2nd prison site (correctional medicine is lucrative and chill if your personality fits) and having a good time. Pick your school based on the true availability of hospital-based clinical clerkships, NOT based on "Step 1 average" or some inadequate objective like that. You would preferably have research done already, but ultimately, residencies care about having graduates who engage in scholarly activity, of which research is a subset amongst other options like being an informative YouTuber or blogger.

If you have few/no acceptances, and zero MD acceptances - WesternU is a decent school. If you want non-competitive specialties, are very independent, and know how to fly under the radar while at a school that treats you like children, you'll do fine here. [For example: Stanford students are treated day 1 as if they are going to do great things, contribute to the future of medical knowledge and the field itself. You are nurtured slowly by having increasing responsibility placed on you and being challenged slightly beyond your capacity. This is not the case at WesternU, which is fine... kind of. If you are very firmly grounded in your identity, are an influential leader to people around you, and know how to keep a couple of mentors willing to "raise you up", this is not a problem.]

If you PM me with what I deem to be a common question, I will likely copy-paste the text as a response here. But try to just keep it in the thread.

How does WesternU treat you guys like children? (serious question)

First-year student here and I somewhat agree with the previous sentiment. I've noticed that quite a few of my classmates complain about the new curriculum, and granted, they're still testing things out but for the most part the content is still all the same, just in a two-pass structure which I think is a good idea. Students have vocalized a lot of their concerns and pushed for weekly anatomy lab review sessions from faculty, prosections out before dissections, etc. I guess you can say our class feels somewhat lazy and entitled, so to speak, but I honestly don't think we're being pushed to our limits to be the best that we can be. I'm sure our faculty want that for us, but it really just means coming to lab and class fully prepared on our own accord, which unfortunately many of my classmates don't do.

I can't say much else about the curriculum until I have taken boards, but just know that it really depends on you on the level of work you're willing to put into studying. If you think you're the type who needs to be in a nurturing environment to thrive then WesternU is probably for you. I'm much more of an independent learner so I don't really find comfort in any of that, but I guess it's still nice to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
interviewed on 11/29! Now i'm hoping some good news as christmas present haha.
Anyone also interviewed on that day? Go team Yellow! xD

In terms of school...I wasn't that impressed to be honest. For now it is not my first choice.

interviewed on 11/29! Now i'm hoping some good news as christmas present haha.
Anyone also interviewed on that day? Go team Yellow! xD

In terms of school...I wasn't that impressed to be honest. For now it is not my first choice.
Can you elaborate on why you were not impressed? Is it the location or the school in general?

It is hard to not seem whiney when addressing this issue and each individual student may have differing opinions on what specific behaviors/interactions fit this description.

It is more accurate to say that there is an absence of being treated like a future physician with a small amount of "your ******ed upperclassmen have made obvious mistakes that have permanently caused issues with certain hospitals and we have created a policy that may be condescending because common sense is not common." But they wait until later to discuss the specific actions [like students refusing to be useful in the ED because "that's not my job!" and repeatedly yelling back at attendings].

I think there are somewhat easy solutions, like maybe having a class on "this is hospital hierarchical structure and this is where you rank and what you are expected to do" or "this is how certain types of people will try to screw you over over your career if you don't navigate properly (salty charge nurses, litigious patients, financial planners, work-place relationships, future ex-spouses, etc.). Most of the class studies from Pathoma, Sketchy, and QBanks anyways so working on leadership, research, and the "soft skills" of medicine should probably be the only "mandatory" classes. In seeing UCLA, Touro, SGU, and LMU-DCOM students in psych and surgery rotations, WesternU appears to produce students who doubt themselves a lot more than they should. I think the knowledge level on rotations is average, but I got the impression that the other MD students were used to being asked to actually propose a treatment plan (like exact dosage and administration of meds for how long, what adverse effects to look for, and what needs to happen before discharge). We're also apparently super timid regarding asking for feedback and asking questions to attendings that show that we have read a textbook without looking like we were too lazy to look up simple answers.

I have a fairly decent leadership history in the military so these things didn't bother me much, but for a significant portion of students, it's like... at what point is the school going to address the fact that students are going to go from the scum of the hospital to ultimate authority where competence is REQUIRED and expected within 7-9 years. That transition is abrupt and as I look down the tunnel of time, I can see how little the school is directly helping me to become a desirable residency candidate at the low cost of $50K+ per year. A good thing about the school is that they do adapt with student feedback pretty quickly, but I always wonder why a semi-old school is still "experimenting" with curriculum. Part of it could be that previous classes didn't speak up, or previous admin refused to listen, or that the specific changes are supposed to happen as they are due to demands on training or whatever.

In summary, the school has a default position of trying to herd a huge class of very different students to check all the boxes required to graduate and skimping out on the aspects that are hard to find in Pathoma/Sketchy (semi-joke) like leadership, medicolegal knowledge, and business logistics. If you already know how to fill those deficits and you can self-study while passing classes, this is no problem. But it's hard when you are forced to attend certain things, start doing Anki in the back, then annoy a lecturer with your obvious focus on the computer and they ask the class to close their laptops - or they tell you to do online modules with no speed function and they don't tell you the exact effect it has on your grade, if there even is any.

Can you elaborate on why you were not impressed? Is it the location or the school in general?
I interviewed on the same day and was not very impressed with the facilities. They seemed outdated and students going to anatomy were putting their bags on the floor. The building where most lectures are is very trafficky since you are in the same building with students in other programs like PT. The faculty and students were great though.

Ill be withdrawing my acceptance here due to another acceptance closer to home. Best of luck to you all!

I interviewed on the same day and was not very impressed with the facilities. They seemed outdated and students going to anatomy were putting their bags on the floor. The building where most lectures are is very trafficky since you are in the same building with students in other programs like PT. The faculty and students were great though.

Lol in fairness, we have lockers but they're in a different building.

It is hard to not seem whiney when addressing this issue and each individual student may have differing opinions on what specific behaviors/interactions fit this description.

It is more accurate to say that there is an absence of being treated like a future physician with a small amount of "your ******ed upperclassmen have made obvious mistakes that have permanently caused issues with certain hospitals and we have created a policy that may be condescending because common sense is not common." But they wait until later to discuss the specific actions [like students refusing to be useful in the ED because "that's not my job!" and repeatedly yelling back at attendings].

I think there are somewhat easy solutions, like maybe having a class on "this is hospital hierarchical structure and this is where you rank and what you are expected to do" or "this is how certain types of people will try to screw you over over your career if you don't navigate properly (salty charge nurses, litigious patients, financial planners, work-place relationships, future ex-spouses, etc.). Most of the class studies from Pathoma, Sketchy, and QBanks anyways so working on leadership, research, and the "soft skills" of medicine should probably be the only "mandatory" classes. In seeing UCLA, Touro, SGU, and LMU-DCOM students in psych and surgery rotations, WesternU appears to produce students who doubt themselves a lot more than they should. I think the knowledge level on rotations is average, but I got the impression that the other MD students were used to being asked to actually propose a treatment plan (like exact dosage and administration of meds for how long, what adverse effects to look for, and what needs to happen before discharge). We're also apparently super timid regarding asking for feedback and asking questions to attendings that show that we have read a textbook without looking like we were too lazy to look up simple answers.

I have a fairly decent leadership history in the military so these things didn't bother me much, but for a significant portion of students, it's like... at what point is the school going to address the fact that students are going to go from the scum of the hospital to ultimate authority where competence is REQUIRED and expected within 7-9 years. That transition is abrupt and as I look down the tunnel of time, I can see how little the school is directly helping me to become a desirable residency candidate at the low cost of $50K+ per year. A good thing about the school is that they do adapt with student feedback pretty quickly, but I always wonder why a semi-old school is still "experimenting" with curriculum. Part of it could be that previous classes didn't speak up, or previous admin refused to listen, or that the specific changes are supposed to happen as they are due to demands on training or whatever.

In summary, the school has a default position of trying to herd a huge class of very different students to check all the boxes required to graduate and skimping out on the aspects that are hard to find in Pathoma/Sketchy (semi-joke) like leadership, medicolegal knowledge, and business logistics. If you already know how to fill those deficits and you can self-study while passing classes, this is no problem. But it's hard when you are forced to attend certain things, start doing Anki in the back, then annoy a lecturer with your obvious focus on the computer and they ask the class to close their laptops - or they tell you to do online modules with no speed function and they don't tell you the exact effect it has on your grade, if there even is any.

wow thank you for your input! this is why i decided to finally go on SDN lol. to see some honest student reflections and opinons on the education that they are getting. You gave me more reasons to not attend western U even if I was accepted. Thank you for your input!

hmmm..how can I put it...westernU used to be my top choice because of some ranking that said western U was ranked top among DO schools. After visiting it in person and looking through things online, I'm really not impressed because the school seemed old, unorganized, and yet expensive. It didn't seem that welcoming and exclusive either. It just didn't meet my expectations like it used to since I've interviewed at other schools.

wow thank you for your input! this is why i decided to finally go on SDN lol. to see some honest student reflections and opinons on the education that they are getting. You gave me more reasons to not attend western U even if I was accepted. Thank you for your input!

hmmm..how can I put it...westernU used to be my top choice because of some ranking that said western U was ranked top among DO schools. After visiting it in person and looking through things online, I'm really not impressed because the school seemed old, unorganized, and yet expensive. It didn't seem that welcoming and exclusive either. It just didn't meet my expectations like it used to since I've interviewed at other schools.
Question :I have been waiting for nearly 3 months from time of application to now. I called them today and seems tgey answer the questions same way as they do on emails! I have been accepted at 4 places and wondering what is holding up against me?
Any ideas?
Thanks...

Question :I have been waiting for nearly 3 months from time of application to now. I called them today and seems tgey answer the questions same way as they do on emails! I have been accepted at 4 places and wondering what is holding up against me?
Any ideas?
Thanks...

I am in the same situation. Some of us are kept on the silence mode while other people get II 10 days after they sent in their secondary application!

Withdrew my II here. Hopefully it goes to one of you. Good luck :)

Hi everyone, I was wondering how much time does western give for studying for step 1? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using SDN mobile

If any current Western students are on this thread, I’d love to get your perspective! How is the quality of the rotations sites for 3rd and 4th years? I’m trying to decide between here and AZCOM and while the location here would be great for me, I would rather go to the school that has better support for the clinical years. Thanks!

Anyone headed from LAX to Pomona on the evening of Dec 12th want to split a ride?

First-year student here and I somewhat agree with the previous sentiment. I've noticed that quite a few of my classmates complain about the new curriculum, and granted, they're still testing things out but for the most part the content is still all the same, just in a two-pass structure which I think is a good idea. Students have vocalized a lot of their concerns and pushed for weekly anatomy lab review sessions from faculty, prosections out before dissections, etc. I guess you can say our class feels somewhat lazy and entitled, so to speak, but I honestly don't think we're being pushed to our limits to be the best that we can be. I'm sure our faculty want that for us, but it really just means coming to lab and class fully prepared on our own accord, which unfortunately many of my classmates don't do.

I can't say much else about the curriculum until I have taken boards, but just know that it really depends on you on the level of work you're willing to put into studying. If you think you're the type who needs to be in a nurturing environment to thrive then WesternU is probably for you. I'm much more of an independent learner so I don't really find comfort in any of that, but I guess it's still nice to have.

I would have to agree here and you're pretty much repeating what Dr. S said about our class. I think many of our classmates for sure are lazy, entitled, and deserved that whole speech she made.

For those who are accepted/paying the fee this Friday. Is there anything else we need to do? I filled out the parent forms and hit the "accept" button on the portal. I'm just paranoid I will forget something and lose my seat.

Is anyone going to the mixer tomorrow? I am assuming it's pretty casual and laidback, right?

Is anyone going to the mixer tomorrow? I am assuming it's pretty casual and laidback, right?
I plan on going...from what I've heard from friends it's pretty chill. It's hosted by first-year students. no admin.

If you mean the pre-interview pizza mixer then yes. It's super casual. One of the med students was wearing sweats.

Accepted via phone call few days ago :soexcited: but no official email or portal update confirming this...starting to think it was a prank call lol

Accepted via phone call few days ago :soexcited: but no official email or portal update confirming this...starting to think it was a prank call lol
Me too! glad I wasn't the only one. Congratulations!

Me too! glad I wasn't the only one. Congratulations!

Congratulations to you too!!! Ok I feel more confident it was real now. Do you know when they’re going to ask us for that 2k? I zoned out during the financial aid pres

Congratulations to you too!!! Ok I feel more confident it was real now. Do you know when they’re going to ask us for that 2k? I zoned out during the financial aid pres
I am pretty sure first payment of $1000 is due by Jan 15th, and second is due by feb 15th. But I think Im going to call today to see what is up.

Anyone know when you get your email address after the deposit? I made mine yesterday but I know they're probably closed on the weekend. Do they just put it on your status page when it's ready?

Does anyone have any last minute interview tips? Mine is on Monday and I'm mildly freaking out.

II on 12/17, application complete 11/18. Currently scheduling into mid/late January for interviews.

Got an II for 1/17 :)