2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
okay thank you. that is what I was thinking, but I didn't get an email from the lebanon campus so I was confused why that one was available! thanks :)

No problem! I had the same thing, and then I received the secondary about a day or two later.

Members don't see this ad.

How are people abbreviating Western University of Health Sciences COMP Pomona campus? I'm not sure if just saying "Western U COMP" vs "Western University COMP" or etc.. etc...

How are people abbreviating Western University of Health Sciences COMP Pomona campus? I'm not sure if just saying "Western U COMP" vs "Western University COMP" or etc.. etc...

I used "COMP Pomona", thats how they referred to it in one of the secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My letters were verified today! The green checkmark is up on my applicant checklist.

anyone else have their letters verified yet?

So I finally received my secondary invite this morning (yea) and on my application it says I "started" the application on 06/25/2018. I cannot any record of me receiving the invite that early, so is that when they first started sending out secondaries or did they just forget to tell me for three weeks? I do not want anyone to think I do not have an interest in the school.

I submitted on 7/2.

Just curious if you remember, next to your letters did it say "reviewed"? Both of mine still have the red Awaiting X but next to the respective letters it says "reviewed".

Just curious if you remember, next to your letters did it say "reviewed"? Both of mine still have the red Awaiting X but next to the respective letters it says "reviewed".
I think before it had a big X with "awaiting letter" or something like that. Now it has a green check mark next to it, and also reads"received" as well as "Reference - Physician Reviewed." And the same thing for my science letter but says "Reference - Science Professor Reviewed."

So I finally received my secondary invite this morning (yea) and on my application it says I "started" the application on 06/25/2018. I cannot any record of me receiving the invite that early, so is that when they first started sending out secondaries or did they just forget to tell me for three weeks? I do not want anyone to think I do not have an interest in the school.

Mine says the same and I also just got it today. I'm pretty sure this is just when they got our primary app and not when you "started" your secondary.

Yo guys, I'm having a hard time talking about how I'd be a good "fit" for Pomona. How did you guys go about writing this essay? I was just going to write about how my diverse experiences aligns with the mission/focus of the university.
yea thats what i did pretty much

Does anyone have any opinions on how to answer the "is there anything in your application you want to explain" part? I did not have the best start to undergrad, but I sort of explain that in the question before hand (going off the previous post w/ diversity, I talk about being a first gen student). I am just unsure what else I need to explain considering EVERYTHING is on either AACOMAS or my secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
For the question on the aacomas primary asking, "Have you taken coursework for credit/no credit or narrative evaluation?" Is this simply asking have you ever taken any undergraduate course pass/fail?

Does anyone know the avg MCAT and gpa for OOS students? I’m at a 503 and 3.87 gpa

For those of you that have done research but are not published what are you putting in the upload document in the research section?

For those of you that have done research but are not published what are you putting in the upload document in the research section?

I uploaded posters relevant to my research cause there are colors and pictures. I have publications but didn’t want to make anyone’s eyes bleed so I just listed the pubs in the text box. I was looking for a good answer to this when I submitted but didn’t find one so I just winged it . There were no real instructions so I think it allows for us applicant to upload what we see fit

I uploaded posters relevant to my research cause there are colors and pictures. I have publications but didn’t want to make anyone’s eyes bleed so I just listed the pubs in the text box. I was looking for a good answer to this when I submitted but didn’t find one so I just winged it . There were no real instructions so I think it allows for us applicant to upload what we see fit

I also wasn't sure what to upload for the research file. I have publications where I will put the citation in the separate text box, but what are they actually looking for in the file? I have posters or presentations, but they are unpublished data.

I also wasn't sure what to upload for the research file. I have publications where I will put the citation in the separate text box, but what are they actually looking for in the file? I have posters or presentations, but they are unpublished data.

I think a research manifesto or proposal if you're in a traditional research role would be good there. Maybe a research CV? I'm not sure, I hope its just up to applicant discretion lol.

I think a research manifesto or proposal if you're in a traditional research role would be good there. Maybe a research CV? I'm not sure, I hope its just up to applicant discretion lol.

That's a good idea! Can I PM you with another question on the application?

how long did it take for letters to be received? My letter have been in aacomas for weeks now but they still don't have it according to my portal?

how long did it take for letters to be received? My letter have been in aacomas for weeks now but they still don't have it according to my portal?

I submitted my secondary on 7/4 and only got the letter status change a few days ago. Everything had already been received and processed by aacomas at the time of my submission.

I submitted the first day and my letters were verified last week. If there is any issue with the letters, the school should email you about it.

Does this school prefer Cali residents? Or are there students mostly from California due to the high number of in-state applicants?

I think before it had a big X with "awaiting letter" or something like that. Now it has a green check mark next to it, and also reads"received" as well as "Reference - Physician Reviewed." And the same thing for my science letter but says "Reference - Science Professor Reviewed."

Where are you seeing the letter checklist, i only see the cas app, secondary app, secondary fee, and mcat scores on my checklist (all of which have a green check mark)? Also, do you happen to know if this school send app complete emails?

got a secondary this morning at 7 am PST!
Hey there! When did you submit your primary application? I haven't received a secondary from either of the Western HS schools. I submitted primary app two weeks ago and have received a lot of my other schools secondaries.

Where are you seeing the letter checklist, i only see the cas app, secondary app, secondary fee, and mcat scores on my checklist (all of which have a green check mark)? Also, do you happen to know if this school send app complete emails?
Under the same application checklist listed below MCAT score it shows 2 references with checkmarks next to them. Maybe yours will populate soon?? And I did not receive an app complete email. I did check regularly for my letters to be received though, and it took about 2 weeks from my secondary submission date.

Hey there! When did you submit your primary application? I haven't received a secondary from either of the Western HS schools. I submitted primary app two weeks ago and have received a lot of my other schools secondaries.
i submitted it literally like May 4th/5th (2-3 days after the cycle opened).

Least favorite: Not having our own dedicated clinical training facility/hospital (note: this is common amongst most DO schools) and cost of attendance.

If we want to match in CA, would this create a big disadvantage? Where do you guys do your rotations? any chance if you would do them at UCLA or USC tier schools?

Just got an email from them about a preview day in august, would it be worth it to go to show my interest in the school or is that unnecessary?

Just got an email from them about a preview day in august, would it be worth it to go to show my interest in the school or is that unnecessary?
If you live in the area can't hurt. Otherwise probably not worth the trip

If we want to match in CA, would this create a big disadvantage? Where do you guys do your rotations? any chance if you would do them at UCLA or USC tier schools?

Perhaps, but it is hard to say. Obviously most major hospital systems (i.e. UCLA or USC) are generally going to prefer their own students over ours. We mainly rotate through community hospitals in the greater LA area. Something to keep an eye out for, we may or may not lose one of our larger rotation sites (ARMC) as they opened their own school.

For third year you likely won't rotate at such places, however for fourth year you make your own schedule (you have to meet requirements but you choose where you go) so it is all on you and your ability to secure spots at those institutions. But yes, plenty of our students rotate at such places 4th year.

I hope this helps, best of luck on your journey!

Perhaps, but it is hard to say. Obviously most major hospital systems (i.e. UCLA or USC) are generally going to prefer their own students over ours. We mainly rotate through community hospitals in the greater LA area. Something to keep an eye out for, we may or may not lose one of our larger rotation sites (ARMC) as they opened their own school.

For third year you likely won't rotate at such places, however for fourth year you make your own schedule (you have to meet requirements but you choose where you go) so it is all on you and your ability to secure spots at those institutions. But yes, plenty of our students rotate at such places 4th year.

I hope this helps, best of luck on your journey!
Thank you for the detailed response!! WesternU Pomona is definitely my top DO choice. I hope they will show some love. Really would love to study and do rotation there

I'm an incoming stduent at Western COMP, so I definitely remember how you guys are feeling right now. It is a stressful time, but you will do great. If y'all have questions, regarding primaries, secondaries, interviews at COMP or any other school, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help as best I can.

Heads up for anyone waiting on a secondary, just found mine in my spam folder!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an interview scheduled yet?

Just got a secondary!

Does anyone have an interview scheduled yet?

According to the admissions officers at the DO school virtual fair going on right now, they said invites could be coming as early as this week.

Reactions: 1 users
Just checked the application page and it says I am selected for an interview. But I didn't receive a confirmation email. Did this happen for anyone else?

Anyone else have their status say "waived" with a gray checkmark next to one of their letters? Everything else in my portal says "received" with a green check.

Anyone else have their status say "waived" with a gray checkmark next to one of their letters? Everything else in my portal says "received" with a green check.
in front of my letters it says reviewed with a red x. I emailed them they said they are still in the process of reviewing the apps and will update as soon as they can

Mine has that. Even though I have a science letter in my packet, they chose to use the committee letter to fulfill the letter requirements.

Are people using the full 500 word allotment? That's a lotta words and I don't want to aimlessly blabber