2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ick, finally finishing this secondary. I got the invite back in early July but apparently the 10 day deadline is not a hard one when I emailed back then. Hopefully they will still look at my application..
They don’t have a 10 day deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe they don’t? I might be mixing up schools. They all kind of blur together at this point.
I don't believe it's a hard deadline. From the admissions counselors at Preview Day, it's more like get in within 10 days if you want to be processed on a timely manner.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe it's a hard deadline. From the admissions counselors at Preview Day, it's more like get in within 10 days if you want to be processed on a timely manner.
thanks for the heads up! I'm glad I won't be penalized hah. I just initially saw the prompts and I noped right out of there. Even now, I am frustrated with the long prompts. I'm not using the full 500 words but I do feel like I have to come up with something of substance to say. Anyways- it's getting in tonight, and I can FINALLY say sayonara to secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks for the heads up! I'm glad I won't be penalized hah. I just initially saw the prompts and I noped right out of there. Even now, I am frustrated with the long prompts. I'm not using the full 500 words but I do feel like I have to come up with something of substance to say. Anyways- it's getting in tonight, and I can FINALLY say sayonara to secondaries.
Haha no problem! I was the opposite, decided to attack those first so I have something to work off for other secondaries which I thought wouldn't be as long. It worked out for the most part, but still a very long secondary I have to agree. Most of my answers were between 350 to 450 words. No interview from them yet, lol.

Haha no problem! I was the opposite, decided to attack those first so I have something to work off for other secondaries which I thought wouldn't be as long. It worked out for the most part, but still a very long secondary I have to agree. Most of my answers were between 350 to 450 words. No interview from them yet, lol.
May the adcoms be ever in your favor :) fingers crossed for all of us!

Try to say the most impactful things with the least amount of words. I’ve done that with all my secondaries and have 18 interviews already. Seems to be working for me! :)

for people who have already done the westernU interview, were you allowed to use notes for the MMI portion?

II invite just now. Any invite on the interview day/process here? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
any current students or people who have interviewed here have a recommendation on where to stay? Ive heard Pomona is iffy

any current students or people who have interviewed here have a recommendation on where to stay? Ive heard Pomona is iffy

I'm from the surrounding area. Some nicer places if you have transportation that's pretty close to WesternU: West Covina, San Dimas, La Verne, Walnut, maybe you can find a place near Cal Poly Pomona, lots of college students living around that area as well. A lot motels/hotels to choose from, Air BnB as well.

got an email saying my application is still under review or has not been reviewed yet. got email that my app was ready for review about 4 weeks ago.

got an email saying my application is still under review or has not been reviewed yet. got email that my app was ready for review about 4 weeks ago.
Haha I never even got the ready for review email, oh boy.

When will the 8/30 interviews find out the result??

is anyone still waiting on secondaries?? :(
I submitted my app 8/3 still waiting...

Does this school offer interviews/acceptances to OOS students often? Or is it an IS heavy school

Just called Admissions. Acceptances from 8/30 won’t be sent out until end of next week to early of the following week. The Adcom is meeting tomorrow.

Does anyone here know about any scholarships that are available for this school?

Current student here. I was in your shoes in January! Seems like so long ago! We're in week 5 and it feels like its been 5 years. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

I interviewed at both Western, Oregon and Western, Pomona. I feel that the interview days were similar.

For MMI, you will not need to take any type of notes before, during, or after. Google MMI and you'll get an idea of what to expect. I can't tell you much about exactly what goes on, but It's low stress, so just be yourself, and you will be fine.

I believe I stayed at Holiday Inn in diamond bar. Diamond bar, Montclair, Clarement, and Chino hills are better areas to stay in.

Majority of my class is from in state, mainly SoCal.

Interview day will only be stressful if you make it stressful. The staff here do everything they can to make it as low stress as possible, so when you wake up on your interview day, do some stretches, say some positive affirmations, and smile, it will be fine!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Current student here. I was in your shoes in February! Seems like so long ago! We're in week 5 and it feels like its been 5 years. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

I interviewed at both Western, Oregon and Western, Pomona. I feel that the interview days were similar.

For MMI, you will not need to take any type of notes before, during, or after. Google MMI and you'll get an idea of what to expect. I can't tell you much about exactly what goes on, but It's low stress, so just be yourself, and you will be fine.

I believe I stayed at Holiday Inn in diamond bar. Diamond bar, Montclair, Clarement, and Chino hills are better areas to stay in.

Majority of my class is from in state, mainly SoCal.

Interview day will only be stressful if you make it stressful. The staff here do everything they can to make it as low stress as possible, so when you wake up on your interview day, do some stretches, say some positive affirmations, and smile, it will be fine!

Do you remember anything about your timeline? When you were verified, when you received an II, when you interviewed, etc.? I know it's early but I'm already starting to lose hope haha

Do you remember anything about your timeline? When you were verified, when you received an II, when you interviewed, etc.? I know it's early but I'm already starting to lose hope haha

I don't recall exactly, but roughly, I got my secondary end of July, submitted it few days later. My interview was end of January, acceptance received first week of February. Don't lose hope, it may take some time.

How friendly is Western COM to OOS applicants? and do they look for more competitive stats for OOS?

Accepted! Interviewed on 8/30.
LM 69-70 IS

Reactions: 4 users
Can someone clarify for me if scribing for DO doctors is considered shadowing? Im not sure if to put that down, and if so, how many hours. Thanks!

Can someone clarify for me if scribing for DO doctors is considered shadowing? Im not sure if to put that down, and if so, how many hours. Thanks!
Hi!
Driving is NOT considered as Shadowing.
Technically I am shadowed in my ER but the shadowing student sees the patient in a different light with interaction with me and post exam discussion.

But! PLEASE do mention you worked as a scribe and how many hours and where .

Also , the Scribe is a paid entity.

Hope this clarifies

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Hi!
Scribing is NOT considered as Shadowing.
Technically I am shadowed in my ER but the shadowing student sees the patient in a different light with interaction with me and post exam discussion.

But! PLEASE do mention you worked as a scribe and how many hours and where .

Also , the Scribe is a paid entity.

Hope this clarifies

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Hey y'all, I haven't formally shadowed a DO, but I've interacted with them in the hospital I volunteer at. How do I answer the first secondary question about my DO shadowing experience?

Hello everyone,

I submitted my secondary on 8/16 and still have not heard anything about an II.

Do you think that I'm pretty much out of the game at this point?

IS, LizzyM score 65, lots of shadowing, volunteering, research and teaching experience.

Grrr, I just got an email this morning that my physician letter didn't have any contact information and wasn't on official letterhead. Apparently I can't submit it again through AACOMAS, so now I have to snail mail another letter. Ugh.

Grrr, I just got an email this morning that my physician letter didn't have any contact information and wasn't on official letterhead. Apparently I can't submit it again through AACOMAS, so now I have to snail mail another letter. Ugh.
same thing happened to me and I had to use interfolio (and pay 48 bucks)

same thing happened to me and I had to use interfolio (and pay 48 bucks)

Tbh I'm just sending it through UPS because there's no way in hell that I'm dropping another 50 bucks for something so trivial. The letter will be there in the next few days since I'm on the West Coast.

There's just a point where you put your foot down, you know? Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot but I guess you'll never know. :eyebrow:

Tbh I'm just sending it through UPS because there's no way in hell that I'm dropping another 50 bucks for something so trivial. The letter will be there in the next few days since I'm on the West Coast.

There's just a point where you put your foot down, you know? Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot but I guess you'll never know. :eyebrow:
as long as they receive your letter, you should be fine.

I have no shadowing, research, nor teaching experience. I have 1000+ ED hours, 200+ volunteer hours, 3.4 GPA, 505 MCAT. Should I even bother finishing my secondary app for this school?