2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a post-interview survey email 3 days after my interview

Sorry let me rephrase, did you get a complete email after submitting secondary before you received an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry let me rephrase, did you get a complete email after submitting secondary before you received an interview invite?
hmm no - i only have a thank you for your payment email.

I just tracked my application status on the portal. It took a while for them to verify a few things and for them to be marked completed so i just checked in occasionally until they were all green (marked complete)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the best (and cheapest) way is to get from LAX to the Pomona area?

Oh wow, why do you think they take so long sending out secondaries?
Word on the street is that they do not necessarily send them out in the order that they are received. As to why they don't do that, who knows. But Legend has it, it is linked to the cosmos in some very profound way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else submit their secondary early August and still waiting for an II?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know what the best (and cheapest) way is to get from LAX to the Pomona area?
From LAX, take a Lyft to Union Station. From there you can hop on a train to Pomona. Luckily the campus is right next to the train station.

If possible, you should consider flying into Ontario. It might be more expensive but it'll be more convenient and you won't have to go through the headache of LAX because you can easily take the Lyft straight to your hotel. Of course it all hinges on where you're flying from and whether or not you can get a direct flight but it's just something to think about.

From LAX, take a Lyft to Union Station. From there you can hop on a train to Pomona. Luckily the campus is right next to the train station.

If possible, you should consider flying into Ontario. It might be more expensive but it'll be more convenient and you won't have to go through the headache of LAX because you can easily take the Lyft straight to your hotel. Of course it all hinges on where you're flying from and whether or not you can get a direct flight but it's just something to think about.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else get an email stating their "app is still with the committee"

Haha no, I wish I would get such an email though!
It seemed like one of those mass emails they send to everyone that hasn't heard anything yet but maybe not? I'm just not really sure if its a good sign or bad as in they looked at my app and set me aside for "later"

II yesterday at 2pm HST (which seems late...that's 5pm in California)!!! Complete on Sept 10th. will be interviewing on the 25th of October. 3.8 GPA, 506 MCAT, lots of volunteer, leadership, patient exposure, shadowing, and a published author in ochem research (since I know y'all are curious about stats). Very excited good luck everyone!!

Questions....Best place to stay? hotels? airbnbs? Hows the vibe of interview day there? this is my first med school interview so I don't know what to expect, especially with the MMI format. Any current students, how do you like it there? Pros, cons? And hows the pomona area? I love to surf, I'm from Hawaii, how feasible is it to get out to the beach from there hahahha

Reactions: 2 users
II yesterday at 2pm HST (which seems late...that's 5pm in California)!!! Complete on Sept 10th. will be interviewing on the 25th of October. 3.8 GPA, 506 MCAT, lots of volunteer, leadership, patient exposure, shadowing, and a published author in ochem research (since I know y'all are curious about stats). Very excited good luck everyone!!

Questions....Best place to stay? hotels? airbnbs? Hows the vibe of interview day there? this is my first med school interview so I don't know what to expect, especially with the MMI format. Any current students, how do you like it there? Pros, cons? And hows the pomona area? I love to surf, I'm from Hawaii, how feasible is it to get out to the beach from there hahahha

Haven’t interviewed yet but from what I’ve hears he vibe is great. Also consensus seems to be to get a place in Diamond Bar/Montclare/Chino Hills ‘cause Pomona isn’t the safest area?

Haven’t interviewed yet but from what I’ve hears he vibe is great. Also consensus seems to be to get a place in Diamond Bar/Montclare/Chino Hills ‘cause Pomona isn’t the safest area?

got it, I'll try my hardest not to get shanked before my interview hahhahah. so maybe no late night strolls

Don't know about places to stay because I live in Diamond Bar, so I just drove from home, but there's definitely hotels and stuff around. I suggest flying into Ontario and finding places to stay in Chino Hills or Diamond Bar.
The vibe of interview day was pretty relaxed, they make it very clear that you wouldn't be there if the school didn't want you. My interviewers weren't too hard, but I heard from fellow interviewees that some of them were getting grilled on osteopathic principles. MMI was surprisingly relaxed, only two stations and they were pretty simple and realistic situations. Just respond how you would normally respond to anyone, but be ready to prompt and ask more questions because the actor won't freely talk.
Pomona area isn't the best, you'll see when you get there that the area directly surrounding Western isn't the greatest.
Very feasible to get to the beach on the weekends for a day trip, but less likely to happen if you wanted to go right after class or something. (From my experience growing up in inland SoCal)
Good luck!!

Anything else you need, feel free to PM me!

To be honest, the Pomona area seemed to be fine when I interviewed. Yes, it wasn't what I would call a "nice area," but it's perfectly safe to walk around during the day.

I stayed at a hotel about a mile away from campus and it was perfect.

Just submitted my primary for this school, but have already been verified at other schools.

Do you guys think it's too late? I am at a 3.2/3.2/507...not so impressive, I know.

ALSO, are lectures mandatory at this Medical School? Are they recorded via webcast? Thanks.

Don't know about places to stay because I live in Diamond Bar, so I just drove from home, but there's definitely hotels and stuff around. I suggest flying into Ontario and finding places to stay in Chino Hills or Diamond Bar.
The vibe of interview day was pretty relaxed, they make it very clear that you wouldn't be there if the school didn't want you. My interviewers weren't too hard, but I heard from fellow interviewees that some of them were getting grilled on osteopathic principles. MMI was surprisingly relaxed, only two stations and they were pretty simple and realistic situations. Just respond how you would normally respond to anyone, but be ready to prompt and ask more questions because the actor won't freely talk.
Pomona area isn't the best, you'll see when you get there that the area directly surrounding Western isn't the greatest.
Very feasible to get to the beach on the weekends for a day trip, but less likely to happen if you wanted to go right after class or something. (From my experience growing up in inland SoCal)
Good luck!!

Anything else you need, feel free to PM me!

ahhh thank you for the heads-up about asking the actor questions, very useful information thank you :)
Guess I'll start worrying about my surf trips once I hear about rejection/acceptance heh

To be honest, the Pomona area seemed to be fine when I interviewed. Yes, it wasn't what I would call a "nice area," but it's perfectly safe to walk around during the day.

I stayed at a hotel about a mile away from campus and it was perfect.

which hotel was it?

Pre-II R today. Lizzy M ~63. Good luck to all

Rejected pre-II. Rough times, thought I'd have at least a chance w/ LizzyM ~66. Best of luck to everyone

Well there goes my top (and most realistic) choice :( LM 69.5 since everyone seems to be sharing theirs. Here's hoping the rest of you have better luck!

Hopping on the pre-II rejection train. All aboard :sorry:

Did WesternU send out a wave of pre-II rejections today?

Did WesternU send out a wave of pre-II rejections today?
Yeah that's the word on the street along with a wave of II too. I would know because they accidentally sent me an II instead of a rejection.

+1 pre-interview rejection. Keeping fingers crossed for Lebanon

Just submitted my primary for this school, but have already been verified at other schools.

Do you guys think it's too late? I am at a 3.2/3.2/507...not so impressive, I know.

ALSO, are lectures mandatory at this Medical School? Are they recorded via webcast? Thanks.

Lectures are not mandatory- But from what they said they have a few classes/per week that are mandatory.

Did anyone else have issues receiving a secondary/information at all from them? I heard back on 9/10 that my MCAT had not been verified but when I emailed back I got the following message:

"Thank you for contacting the Office of Enrollment Data Services. This is an automated response to confirm we have received your email.
We will be happy to respond to your question or request for assistance with our View Application Checklist Login when we re-open on Tuesday.
If your email includes application materials, your document(s) will be processed by one of our representatives within 5 to 7 business days. Please allow us this time to update your application before contacting us for status."

This morning I got an email saying "An update has been posted to your Application Status Page." so I made an account to check it, but it just returns me to the home page!

I tried to call admissions but they said there is nothing they an do unless I email again, so I am trying that, but does anyone have advice??

Hopefully you have more luck than me, but I'm seeing this school heavily favors GPA. I had a GPA near yours with a 510+ MCAT and received a pre II rejection. They definitely could have rejected me for other reason, but the trend at least on here of II stats and acceptances seems high GPA 504-509 MCAT

when were those getting rejected complete? I'm sure y'all will get in somewhere else!

I submitted my primary for this school 06/25, secondary 07/06, and got everything checked off 07/20. I have heard nothing at all yet...is anyone in the same boat? is this typically a sign for pre-II rejection to not hear anything for months?

I submitted my primary for this school 06/25, secondary 07/06, and got everything checked off 07/20. I have heard nothing at all yet...is anyone in the same boat? is this typically a sign for pre-II rejection to not hear anything for months?
Same boat! 3.6/ 507.

Haven't called or emailed them.

Looks like no one deemed to understand their methodology.

Am from .CA.

Hope reigns supreme!

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

I know someone said lyft/uber, but you can also take flyaway/some shuttle bus that lists union station. I waited outside for a flyaway, but then ended up on a random shuttle (don't remember the company, lol) that took me to Union Station for $10. Then I took one of the trains out to Claremont for $7. For Pomona, it should be about the same (different lines though). I think there is a bus line Silver Streak that will also take you about to Pomona for extra cheap ($2.75?). Someone I interviewed with took uber/lyft all the way which I think he said was $50 or so.

If you want to go extra, extra cheap from the airport to Union Station...I bet there is a way for that too...

Lectures are not mandatory- But from what they said they have a few classes/per week that are mandatory.

Current student here. We are split into two groups and on Monday and Tuesday we have mandatory classes. Anatomy dissection labs, "how to be a doctor" class, and OMM are mandatory. We have lectures usually Mon-Thur, and they are optional. They are recorded and posted within about 20 mins after lecture is completed. You can watch it at home at 2x speed. There are some lectures that are mandatory, but they tell you what is mandatory on the schedule. Some people like going to lecture, I prefer to watch it at home at 2x speed.

Current student here. We are split into two groups and on Monday and Tuesday we have mandatory classes. Anatomy dissection labs, "how to be a doctor" class, and OMM are mandatory. We have lectures usually Mon-Thur, and they are optional. They are recorded and posted within about 20 mins after lecture is completed. You can watch it at home at 2x speed. There are some lectures that are mandatory, but they tell you what is mandatory on the schedule. Some people like going to lecture, I prefer to watch it at home at 2x speed.
Quick question. What text books do you generally use for Anatomy and Physiology?Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile