2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question. What text books do you generally use for Anatomy and Physiology?Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using

Hey there, also current student here. Textbooks generally aren't used as they are usually too detailed for how much information you need to cram in your head. Lecturers and professors do have reading in which they direct you to go to the text for further study or clarification, but generally, medical school requires you to learn too much in too short of time to be book-work oriented. Netter's Atlas and Essentials of Clinical Anatomy seem to be the popular curriculum uses. High-yield is usually stressed in lectures with emphasis on key points and concepts, while supplementary information can be architecture around that framework with extra reading.

In regards to above, may be a delay in hearing back as I know we have exam week in 9 days, which has everyone pretty busy around here (professors and students alike). Maybe the committee just hasn't had a chance to round table yet? Either way if you have questions feel free to message! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you!
In my days..Gray 's Anatomy was the bible! Had to know cover to cover!!
Dissection book was " Cunningham's text "books next to the cadavers.
Text book of Physiology was a MUST!...I forget now the authors.
Davidson's Text book of Medicine was our medicine bible.
Text book of Surgery by Love and Bailey was the only book you need to know !
Things change.....

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Quick question. What text books do you generally use for Anatomy and Physiology?Thanks.

We have recommended books, I have yet to buy or use a single one. I use essential anatomy app on my ipad when I'm in lab, I also use the anatomy powerpoint lectures, they are very good. I have Netters and Color Atlas of Anatomy as well. So far, they have been sufficient. I use BRS physio for practice questions and just use the professors lecture notes to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have recommended books, I have yet to buy or use a single one. I use essential anatomy app on my ipad when I'm in lab, I also use the anatomy powerpoint lectures, they are very good. I have Netters and Color Atlas of Anatomy as well. So far, they have been sufficient. I use BRS physio for practice questions and just use the professors lecture notes to study.
Thank you so much!
In Tests we would be asked to write about the Path of the Optic Nerve in 15 lines ! Or Fournier's Gangrene .The MCQs came later on...but in UK thus is still the way Medicine is taught!

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my application earlier this week. Hope my interview spot goes to one of you fine folk! Good luck :)

So sorry to hear that :/
Lol it's all good. I'll still be there regardless :) by the way I was just kidding. It's easier for me to believe that they made a mistake in giving me an II than it is to believe that I got one for a legitimate reason.

I submitted early August and still haven’t received an interview. Stats in sig

Lol it's all good. I'll still be there regardless :) by the way I was just kidding. It's easier for me to believe that they made a mistake in giving me an II than it is to believe that I got one for a legitimate reason.
hahahah I had a slight feeling you were kidding but wasn't sure. Congratulations on the II!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted early August and still haven’t received an interview. Stats in sig
What I've been noticing is that a lot of DO schools will reject high stat applicants because they assume you'll get into an MD program and choose the MD over them so they don't even bother wasting a spot

Hi! File sent to admissions for review on 9/10.
3.8 and 511. Haven't heard anything and getting pretty paranoid, especially with recent II wave. Should I assume they've put me on "hold" for later?

Hi! File sent to admissions for review on 9/10.
3.8 and 511. Haven't heard anything and getting pretty paranoid, especially with recent II wave. Should I assume they've put me on "hold" for later?
How did you know your app was sent to admissions for review? Did your portal update to under review? My secondary says all items have been received for a while now..I' also wondering if I was placed on hold or if adcom hasn't even reviewed my app yet.

We are approaching finals next week, so there may be delays in your app process, just a heads up.

How did you know your app was sent to admissions for review? Did your portal update to under review? My secondary says all items have been received for a while now..I' also wondering if I was placed on hold or if adcom hasn't even reviewed my app yet.

I have the same question! Mines for Oregon but same system...

I was already emailing enrollment data services about my physician letter verification. They basically verified it on the spot for me and told me "your application has been sent to admissions for review". This was exactly a month ago. I don't think we're supposed to get an official email once our app is complete.

We are approaching finals next week, so there may be delays in your app process, just a heads up.

Hi! Thanks for the heads up. So current students do the pre-screening, is that correct? And then it gets passed along to the committee?

Hi! Thanks for the heads up. So current students do the pre-screening, is that correct? And then it gets passed along to the committee?

Second years are more involved with interviews, applications, etc. I'm a first year. Faculty are busy with their duties as professors as we get closer to finals, just wanted everyone to know that 1. the process takes time and 2. there can be delays, so don't lose hope or jump to conclusions. I'm sure you all will hear good news soon.

Second years are more involved with interviews, applications, etc. I'm a first year. Faculty are busy with their duties as professors as we get closer to finals, just wanted everyone to know that 1. the process takes time and 2. there can be delays, so don't lose hope or jump to conclusions. I'm sure you all will hear good news soon.
Thanks a bunch for the above.
Does the communication for an interview come by e-mail? And sent if so , in bulk?
Thank you

Thanks a bunch for the above.
Does the communication for an interview come by e-mail? And sent if so , in bulk?
Thank you

I do not have information regarding that. My assumption is they send IIs out in waves as they go through batches of applicants.

Just got the phone call. Accepted! Interviewed on 9/27. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed on the same day! Congrats!!!! Hope to see you haha
Same.!!! I literally walked out of a different interview and found a voicemail with a 909 area code and about lost it.
Congrats to you as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on 9/27 too but still radio silence. Hopefully I get a call next week!

II yesterday but withdrew my application. I hope one of you gets it! Good luck, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted my primary for this school 06/25, secondary 07/06, and got everything checked off 07/20. I have heard nothing at all yet...is anyone in the same boat? is this typically a sign for pre-II rejection to not hear anything for months?

Same..

Current students:
Did any of you guys do the intensive anatomy course over the summer? If so, what was the pay like for the fall when you worked as an anatomy TA?
Are you glad you did the anatomy course over the summer?

Current students:
Did any of you guys do the intensive anatomy course over the summer? If so, what was the pay like for the fall when you worked as an anatomy TA?
Are you glad you did the anatomy course over the summer?
Hi ! That is a question I have been mulling over! Where can I find such intensive Anatomy Summer courses?
I am in CA.
Thank you

Hi ! That is a question I have been mulling over! Where can I find such intensive Anatomy Summer courses?
I am in CA.
Thank you

The one I was talking about is one that COMP Pomona offers to students the summer before class officially starts. My understanding is that you take the class then become a TA for the other students in the fall.

The one I was talking about is one that COMP Pomona offers to students the summer before class officially starts. My understanding is that you take the class then become a TA for the other students in the fall.
Thanks a bunch.

Thanks a bunch.

If you are just looking for an anatomy course, I took one a few years ago at a junior college and loved it. There was a cadaver lab and everything. It was mainly geared towards nursing students but was surprisingly in depth.

pre II rejection.

super bummed since I live like 20 min away and my letter is from an alumni of western

goodluck to everyone else!

Sorry guys, you'll def have more luck from other schools this year!

interview here in a couple weeks... any tips?

Interview next week! I am curious did anyone go to the pre-interview casual pizza social? How did it go??

Interview next week! I am curious did anyone go to the pre-interview casual pizza social? How did it go??
It's really chill and a good way to get some of the interviews nerves out. It was nice to go to the interview the next morning and already know some people.

It's really chill and a good way to get some of the interviews nerves out. It was nice to go to the interview the next morning and already know some people.
Great! And the email that the school sent out said more info is on the interview Web Page, but I couldn’t find any info regards of the social on the web page though as I can only find info about the interview day but not about the social.

Great! And the email that the school sent out said more info is on the interview Web Page, but I couldn’t find any info regards of the social on the web page though as I can only find info about the interview day but not about the social.
There isn't too much to it. When I went it was just a bunch of tables outside the main building. We all just sat there for a couple hours and hung out. It was really informal and there is no set schedule. People kind of just came and went.

There isn't too much to it. When I went it was just a bunch of tables outside the main building. We all just sat there for a couple hours and hung out. It was really informal and there is no set schedule. People kind of just came and went.
Thanks for the info!!!!

If you would like information about the interview I can be of help! Very poor experience personally so definitely can help out others who would like to go to this school :)

Hey everyone! I haven't posted on here since my acceptance to WesternU but now that I have some free time, I will be giving some tips to those who may be looking for some.

First, I know everyone is going to be wondering if they are competitive and will get an interview. I can chime in for those who are OOS and wondering if you're competitive, my stats are 513 MCAT (126+ in all sections) with 3.5+GPA and loads of clinical experience (no research). However, I have also heard of students in the 508-510 MCAT range. During my interview group, there were a good amount of students that are OOS. I believe the statistics is approximately 85% is IS and 15% is OOS. Everyone's background will be different but play to your strengths and know your weaknesses because I can guarantee it will be asked at an interview somewhere, even if it is not at WesternU. I interviewed at multiple medical schools and it was asked quite a few times. As mentioned in previous posts, some interviewers will grill you hard on your application, so know it well and know how to respond to your weaknesses. In addition to a classic 2 on 1 interview, this school does MMIs. MMIs are basically an introduction to your SP encounters that you will be doing throughout the didactic years if you choose to go here. There is no way to study for it. Just be genuine and be yourself in there! I thought I bombed my MMIs during my interview but I still got an acceptance here! My biggest tip for all DO schools I interviewed at is knowing how to answer Why DO? Why Medicine? and Why our school? These questions were asked at every single DO school.

Second, for any incoming students the pizza social is an optional but very helpful and casual place (don't need to be in suit maybe polo and khakis) to speak to current OMS I students (no faculty besides student affairs). This will help you get an overall feel for the area, the school, and help you locate the HEC building, so you are not scrambling around in the morning before your interview. Although I could not make mine last year, I believe this year it is important because we just transitioned the curriculum to a block system with an "assessment week" this year that differs from current OMS II students. As such, I believe us first years will have good insights on how the curriculum is shaping out and the pros/cons so far. So come to the pizza socials and speak to me or my classmates!

Third, since WesternU is an osteopathic school, you will be asked multiple times about OMM/OPP/OMT. This is important because the faculty will grill you hard about this as you will be learning about OMM and will be learning with fellow classmates in the OMM lab. As such, they really want to make sure students will be open to learning OMM since you do have a specified attire for OMM. Males will basically be only in athletic shorts and females will be in a sports bra and athletic shorts during the learning exercises.

Lastly, another big portion of the curriculum is IPE. This is another learning experience you will have here at WesternU and may be a talking point for those of you interested in it. Typically you will be meeting with students from other colleges and will be tasked to work together for case studies and talking points. Since OMM and IPE is such a big portion of the curriculum, do your research and attend the pizza social to ask students about their opinions about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

I have a question about this secondary prompt: "While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?"

Would shadowing a physician while scribing in the emergency department work for the response? I called Western earlier on this month and they said that they don't consider scribing to be a shadowing experience for the physician shadowing section of the secondary. But, I'm wondering if scribing would work for the essay prompt? Scribing has really been my only interaction with DOs, and it has REALLY influenced my desire to become a DO. It's the strongest example I have, but I'm not sure if it would count.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!