2018-2019 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I have a question about this secondary prompt: "While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?"

Would shadowing a physician while scribing in the emergency department work for the response? I called Western earlier on this month and they said that they don't consider scribing to be a shadowing experience for the physician shadowing section of the secondary. But, I'm wondering if scribing would work for the essay prompt? Scribing has really been my only interaction with DOs, and it has REALLY influenced my desire to become a DO. It's the strongest example I have, but I'm not sure if it would count.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

While I wouldn't consider scribing a "shadowing" experience, I did have a physician once tell me that if you can see patients, interact with patients, and see what the physicians are doing, then you can spin that into an answer for your questions! Maybe you could say something along the lines of "working in ___ I saw DO ___ do XYZ." I struggled to answer this question at first for most of my apps, but if you did see the physicians use OMT, OMM, OPP I think that is the strongest topic you could put here!

Again, some of the faculty will grill you about OMM and since it is a DO school, they need to make sure students will be receptive to learning OMM or atleast will keep an open mind about it. Some of my classmates are for sure the kids who did not get into MD and saw DO as a "backup" because of their poor MCAT scores and grades. Please do not do this and try to make sure you're going into medical school (especially DO schools) with the right attitude and right reasons, not just because its a "backup".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I have a question about this secondary prompt: "While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?"

Would shadowing a physician while scribing in the emergency department work for the response? I called Western earlier on this month and they said that they don't consider scribing to be a shadowing experience for the physician shadowing section of the secondary. But, I'm wondering if scribing would work for the essay prompt? Scribing has really been my only interaction with DOs, and it has REALLY influenced my desire to become a DO. It's the strongest example I have, but I'm not sure if it would count.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Should be fine to use your scribing experience for that prompt. Pretty sure that's what I did. Like you, was an ED scribe for a few DOs but never actually shadowed any DOs. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Applied and didn't know they needed a physician letter. Taking the L.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gone to their preview day? Wondering if I should try and make it out to the next one? Was it useful? Did you get a chance to speak to admissions reps? Thanks!

Has anyone gone to their preview day? Wondering if I should try and make it out to the next one? Was it useful? Did you get a chance to speak to admissions reps? Thanks!

I visited their Preview Day several years ago so I only vaguely remember it, but I will try to help answer your question. There were a few speakers that day who gave a general overview of what to expect from the curriculum as well as financial aid options. They also had a panel of current students who answered questions from the audience. We also had the chance to visit multiple booths that had information about organizations available to students. Toward the end of the day, we were given a tour of campus.

Note that since it's been several years, things may have changed. I would still imagine it is good to visit if you have the opportunity since it would show your interest in their program. You would also have a chance to make connections with their students and get all of your questions answered.

By the way, thank you very much to those of you who answered my above question!

Hey guys, my secondary was complete on Oct 03rd. I havent received an II. I'm a canadian applicant. Did I apply too late? Has anyone that received their complete email around that time heard back yet?

Hey guys, my secondary was complete on Oct 03rd. I havent received an II. I'm a canadian applicant. Did I apply too late? Has anyone that received their complete email around that time heard back yet?

I was complete in September. It's a waiting game, my friend. As I understand it, DO schools run on a longer cycle so I would say to keep your fingers crossed :)

Did any of you guys do the intensive anatomy course over the summer? If so, what was the pay like for the fall when you worked as an anatomy TA?
Are you glad you did the anatomy course over the summer?

ISAC was like a cult. if you were in, you made a typically very tight knit durable group of friends. I'd say the majority of students didn't want to do it and are glad that they didn't though. I'm one of them. I almost did it, but boy am I glad I didn't. Extra rent. Extra work. Terrible rates (like 12 bucks/hr or something as a TA iirc). I'm not sure it's worth its weight in effort on residency apps.

But if you're thinking about doing it, it's not the worse thing in the world. worse comes to worse, you lost like a month in the summer. It's not that bad. I just wouldn't do it.

ISAC was like a cult. if you were in, you made a typically very tight knit durable group of friends. I'd say the majority of students didn't want to do it and are glad that they didn't though. I'm one of them. I almost did it, but boy am I glad I didn't. Extra rent. Extra work. Terrible rates (like 12 bucks/hr or something as a TA iirc). I'm not sure it's worth its weight in effort on residency apps.

But if you're thinking about doing it, it's not the worse thing in the world. worse comes to worse, you lost like a month in the summer. It's not that bad. I just wouldn't do it.
Thanks for the honest opinion! I'm a nontrad and have been out of full time school for a bit so I think I might still do it, but I appreciate you pointing out the downsides.

Got an invite!!! .... to Preview Day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
II today. Will be attending this one since it's a close drive from home.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! I decided to go with the Dec 13 date since I’m flying in from OOS.

Hey everyone, MS4 here.

I wont be around when you guys start, but I'm currently on an easy audition and have plenty of time to answer any questions you may have!

Hey everyone, MS4 here.

I wont be around when you guys start, but I'm currently on an easy audition and have plenty of time to answer any questions you may have!

How are the clinical and research opportunities there? What are fun activities to do in the immediate areas? Thanks in advance! :)

How are the clinical and research opportunities there? What are fun activities to do in the immediate areas? Thanks in advance! :)

Great questions!

-I would say that our clinical rotations are great. From my interactions with other visiting students, I'd say that our rotations are equal to AZCOM, better than TouroCA.

-Research is plentiful in the city. I did research with Loma Linda on breaks. Case reports and poster opportunities were also plentiful on rotations.

-Things to do nearby:
Lots of awesome authentic asian and mexican food restaurants nearby.
Big Bear is pretty close.
Huntington beach and Newport beach are close enough to visit on weekends.
Santa Monica is technically doable, but traffic was always ridiculous. Although, I did go to Sunset and Beverly Hills a few times.

Thanks for the honest opinion! I'm a nontrad and have been out of full time school for a bit so I think I might still do it, but I appreciate you pointing out the downsides.

I agree with what BlueBleck mentioned, ISACers are usually a tight knit group of friends. Most of my classmates who were ISACers do stick around each other and help each other out. They are pretty exclusive in that sense but they also like helping out the rest of the class when they can. However, the down side is you do start a bit earlier and have to start studying right away. This might mean extra rent, slightly extra health insurance. You'll also lose a month in the summer but I think in the long run, it gives you a leg up on the other students if you perform well during ISAC. ISACers who score well (80+? correct me if I'm wrong) can become TA's for anatomy and get paid for normal time that they would be in the lab during the regular schedule.

In addition, with the new curriculum change, we are moving into block systems with an "assessment week". During assessment week, we have 4 assessments that we must pass with a 70 EACH. ISACers who scored well, don't have to worry about anatomy practicals during the normal blocks and only worry about 3 assessments (OMM, SP encounters, and written exams) vs having 4 if you're a regular scheduled OMS I. So in that sense, I think many students choose to do it. In hindsight, I think if I knew I didn't have to pay that much extra tuition and it would help give me an edge up on my classes during my didactic years, I would've done it. The course is rigorous and I would suggest if you decide to do it, brush up on some of the anatomy terms a few weeks before the start of ISAC.

Accepted at 8 am California time, interviewed 10/25!!

Edit: OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on everyone getting accepted. Just wondering, if I get my secondary in by Thanksgiving what time frame am I looking at for getting a response (if any)?

Congrats on everyone getting accepted. Just wondering, if I get my secondary in by Thanksgiving what time frame am I looking at for getting a response (if any)?

seems to be heavy traffic right now since everyone's sending them in at the same time. I submitted my secondary mid september and got my interview beginning of october, interviewed on 10/25 and was accepted 11/14. I've also seen some people submit in early July and not hear back about an II till now. I have no idea how they choose this order. But I'd just try to get your app in ASAP, I know the admissions committee will be meeting right before thanksgiving break to review more apps (I believe they meet every 2-3 weeks or something like that, they mentioned at my interview how they review admissions in batches every couple weeks).

I'm not sure how they pick applicants for interview but I do know that the faculty who do interviews meet only once per several weeks. Many of these faculty also teach as well. As such, they will not have a lot of time to constantly review applications. As a time frame, I was one of those students last year who sent everything by September and didn't get II until Jan/Feb. Do not lose hope!

Hi! I'm currently in an SMP at another DO school and have a good chance of getting into the COM there (3.5 GPA), but really I'd love to go to Western + return home to SoCal. Currently working on the primary, but is it too late to submit in the next month? I'm non-trad with a 3.0 undergrad GPA but am hoping that my new graduate GPA (curriculum very similar to their COM) will give me a better chance. Worried I'll be applying for a waitlist, but didn't want to submit with my uGPA so have been waiting to see how I did in the SMP.

Hi! I'm currently in an SMP at another DO school and have a good chance of getting into the COM there (3.5 GPA), but really I'd love to go to Western + return home to SoCal. Currently working on the primary, but is it too late to submit in the next month? I'm non-trad with a 3.0 undergrad GPA but am hoping that my new graduate GPA (curriculum very similar to their COM) will give me a better chance. Worried I'll be applying for a waitlist, but didn't want to submit with my uGPA so have been waiting to see how I did in the SMP.

Had some of my classmates apply very late December, according to them, and got interviews around Jan-March. Although, I do not know their stats or GPA from undergrad so take that with a grain of salt. I interviewed March and they still had spots left. You can check my stats in previous posts.

Is this school done with interviews? :(

Last year, I received an interview in January for a Feb date. I'm pretty sure they're not done giving out II's. Hang tight! :)

Hi! Not sure if anyone else has asked this, but what is the best way to get to and from LA-->Pomona? I don't have a car :(

Thanks!

Hi! Not sure if anyone else has asked this, but what is the best way to get to and from LA-->Pomona? I don't have a car :(

Thanks!

LA is far from Pomona. It’s about an hour plus of driving. If you’re OOS, fly into ONT airport instead of LAX

LA is far from Pomona. It’s about an hour plus of driving. If you’re OOS, fly into ONT airport instead of LAX

Definitely second this! The amount of $ you will save from LAX to Pomona will be essentially less than an ONT, CA airport ticket. You are only about couple of minutes from school from ONT airport.

Thanks!
Rent a car from Turo (car rental app, you just have to be at least 21 yrs old)

Accepted 11/20!! :D They didn't email or call me though. I logged on to the application status page and found the invitation. So if you're waiting for a call or email, I recommend logging on to your application page. Good luck to everyone!!

AACOMAS 7/25, Secondary 8/14, II 11/2, Interview 11/8

Best of luck on the interview! I was marked complete on the exact same day as you and did not hear yet from them. Would you mind sharing your stats.

LM: 62, don't lose hope! You can call for an application status update to one of the admission staff and hopefully you'll hear news soon. I know someone last year who interviewed in February and was accepted :)

interviewing 11/29 (next week). Anyone else? very nervous! I think only western is doing MMI AND panel interviews...it's going to be a tough one for sure...sigh. I wonder if they would have actors for the MMI because that will be pretty intense. :p

interviewing 11/29 (next week). Anyone else? very nervous! I think only western is doing MMI AND panel interviews...it's going to be a tough one for sure...sigh. I wonder if they would have actors for the MMI because that will be pretty intense. :p

Good luck on the interview! And yes you're pretty spot on for the interview day. Just relax and its not too bad with the intensity ;).