2018-2019 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II, so excited! Complete 7/29, OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does late November seem late for an interview?

Generally the earlier the interview the better. But I would say all interviews before January have a high chance of acceptance. Plus WCUCOM only gives out one available date for some reason, so they must have a secret way of doing things.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

whats the average GPA and MCAT? can't find it online

whats the average GPA and MCAT? can't find it online

From looking at past threads it seems like a competitive MCAT is a 500+ and a GPA of 3.5+.

Being from the area also helps.

Is there anyway to check your application status with WCUCOM? I got a submitted email post-secondary but haven't heard back since..

Is there anyway to check your application status with WCUCOM? I got a submitted email post-secondary but haven't heard back since..

There isn’t. They only send secondaries to people they are really interested in, so the fact that you got one is a very good sign. I would just be patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! This feels so surreal right now!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group for the accepted class of 2023?

Late to the game, but I have an II coming up on 10/1. Anyone else going to be there that day?

Awesome! Glad to know I won't be alone

To those of you who haven't heard anything after submitting your primary and it has been awhile, I would send an email. I was denied but they did not send anything to inform me of that. They were quick to respond to my email and let me know why I wasn't offered a secondary. I submitted on 7/16.

Ive heard that the interview is pretty laid back and easy going but are there any pointers people have to stand out? Any left field questions?

Reactions: 2 users
Ive heard that the interview is pretty laid back and easy going but are there any pointers people have to stand out? Any left field questions?
The only left-field question they asked me was an ethical question, which really was not that difficult to answer. Just answer as honestly and sincerely as possible. They supposedly will ask about any red flags in your application, but they didn't for me, which was weird since I have several red flags! Lol. It's a really laid back interview, just be prepared to answer "Why doctor?", "Why DO?", and "Why William Carey?" in an honest, sincere, and original way, and you'll be fine. It's a great experience and a great school. You'll be great!

Congrats! When were you complete and what are your stats? I was complete 8/2/2018, LizzyM 62, OOS (California), still no response. I really like the mission of this school and I think I'm a good fit but we will have to see.
Same stats and also Cali resident. I got an II so I'm confident you'll get one too!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I agree with Darth Revan. Interview was laid back for the most part. The ethical question was very easy, but I imagine some aren't as black and white. Research the school, find things that interest you about it. Know as much as you can beforehand but don't try to rehearse anything. Just be you and it will work out.

For those accepted, did anyone receive an official acceptance letter? I called a week after my interview and was told I was accepted and to keep an eye out for a letter, but nothing as of yet. I know it doesn't really matter but I'm curious.

For those accepted, did anyone receive an official acceptance letter? I called a week after my interview and was told I was accepted and to keep an eye out for a letter, but nothing as of yet. I know it doesn't really matter but I'm curious.

Dr. Weir said we should be getting the official acceptance letter the first week of October!

II today for 1/14/19

II today for 9/24/18! Any recommendations?

Interviewed on 9/7 and just called the school and they told me I was accepted!!

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you accepted, congrats! :claps:

I'm curious as to how many of those accepted are likely to attend this school?

I understand its still early in the cycle...but some people already know!

For those of you accepted, congrats! :claps:

I'm curious as to how many of those accepted are likely to attend this school?

I understand its still early in the cycle...but some people already know!
I will most likely be attending this school. It seems like a great area, faculty, staff, and students. I also have a hunch it'll be my only acceptance too! Lol

Reactions: 2 users
For those who interviewed, how long does it take before the school get back to you?

For those who interviewed, how long does it take before the school get back to you?

You can call about week after your interview for an answer. Dr. Weir even gave us an exact date of when we could call.

I will most likely be attending this school. It seems like a great area, faculty, staff, and students. I also have a hunch it'll be my only acceptance too! Lol

Be confident my friend! I'd bet you're going to get more (depending on how many schools you applied to). It's still early!

Be confident my friend! I'd bet you're going to get more (depending on how many schools you applied to). It's still early!
Thanks! It's not a confidence thing, it's just mainly that I felt that this school a perfect fit for me, and it's way too expensive for me to go on too many interviews when I already know I want to come here.

Our dean is retiring but things are looking good for William Carey. Things are changing for the better. Attendance policy has been really lax this year. The bad course directors are no longer course directors. OPP is much more relaxed and the new OPP head and course directors are awesome and unlike what it has been in the past. The busy work in doctoring skills is gone, aside from weekly quizzes. The classes also seem to be integrated, i.e. currently we are learning about biosignalling in biochemistry, while learning about membrane transport and muscular physiology in Physiology and doing the muscular system in histology. I have been happy with William Carey and I would recommend this school to anyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Our dean is retiring but things are looking good for William Carey. Things are changing for the better. Attendance policy has been really lax this year. The bad course directors are no longer course directors. OPP is much more relaxed and the new OPP head and course directors are awesome and unlike what it has been in the past. The busy work in doctoring skills is gone, aside from weekly quizzes. The classes also seem to be integrated, i.e. currently we are learning about biosignalling in biochemistry, while learning about membrane transport and muscular physiology in Physiology and doing the muscular system in histology. I have been happy with William Carey and I would recommend this school to anyone!
Which dean is retiring? Dr. Turner?!

That's great to hear. Thanks for your feedback!

When was this announced? I get that they wouldn't tell us this at the interview day, but that's a real bummer. He seems like a great dean. Do you know who's going to replace him?
Not sure about the replacement, but I am sure it will be someone just as great/nice as him. Its a bummer indeed, but this should in no way influence your decision to attend William Carey.