2018-2019 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it late to apply to this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Got all excited to call and get an answer following my interview on monday just to be told Dr. Weir got swamped with meetings. Now I have to call tmr morning. Darn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my primary yesterday, received their secondary app invite today. That’s pretty fast.

Accepted! Super excited about this school. At least what I saw and heard, the reviews do not match. They admitted the problems they had in the first years after opening but explained how each of them have been addressed. If anyone is hesitant about applying because of sdn history, I would give it a fair shot then make a decision.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Super excited about this school. At least what I saw and heard, the reviews do not match. They admitted the problems they had in the first years after opening but explained how each of them have been addressed. If anyone is hesitant about applying because of sdn history, I would give it a fair shot then make a decision.
I had nothing but great impressions during my interview. I couldn't find anything to suggest the problems with the school that SDN had portrayed in the past. It looks like the school has improved drastically over the years, and I'm ecstatic to be attending next year!

Reactions: 4 users
So I have been digging deep into reading past threads about WCUCOM, and OMG, my head is spinning 360! I’m now contemplating whether or not I should send in my secondary app.

Can any current students chime in to update on the overal improvements at Carey if any?
I'm not a current student, but I was recently accepted. All I can say is take everything you read at SDN with a grain of salt. I saw a lot of bad reviews too, but nothing to support why they thought this was a bad school. I couldn't find anything to suggest it was a bad school. Every medical student I talked to on the interview had nothing but great things to say. Every medical school has its negatives, you just need to weigh them against its pros and see if the school is right for you, not what other people say. It doesn't matter what other people think about your school if you absolutely love it.

What I’m contemplating on is the faculty and the quality of clinical rotations during 3rd and 4th year. Based on past threads, it sounded like Faculty members are bad at teaching, and there are not that many quality rotation sites. Being that I am a non-trad student who holds a doctorate degree in healthcare, I want to make sure I have shot at getting into a competitive residency given I put in the work for it. My stats aren’t stellar, but I have good MCAT scores.
I was also recently accepted. I went into my interview with a pretty negative perception of the school and came out impressed overall. You can't take everything here on SDN at face value. You need to visit the school, talk to the students and faculty, and really get a feel for the environment. With that said, I do agree with you that the faculty may not be the best. The biochem professor came to talk to us while we were waiting for our interviews and he basically put us all to sleep lol. All med schools have their downside, but I think overall this school is a lot better than SDNer's make it out to be.

I was also recently accepted. I went into my interview with a pretty negative perception of the school and came out impressed overall. You can't take everything here on SDN at face value. You need to visit the school, talk to the students and faculty, and really get a feel for the environment. With that said, I do agree with you that the faculty may not be the best. The biochem professor came to talk to us while we were waiting for our interviews and he basically put us all to sleep lol. All med schools have their downside, but I think overall this school is a lot better than SDNer's make it out to be.
Thank you for your response! I guess it doesn’t cost me anything to send in the secondary app and see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how many interviews/interviewers were there? if you don't mind could you give a run down of the day?
There were 8 of us I think. It was a pretty standard interview day. They first give you various presentations (i.e. why WCU, financial aid, campus life, curriculum breakdown etc.). Then they give you a campus tour and answer questions. After that it's lunch with student ambassadors. The day ends with your interview. It's a 3 on 1 open file interview. Let me know if you have any more questions! Hope this helps.

For those of you that called to find out you were accepted, did Dr. Weir give you a time? He just gave me a date, and I don’t know what time the committee meets that day.

For those of you that called to find out you were accepted, did Dr. Weir give you a time? He just gave me a date, and I don’t know what time the committee meets that day.
For my group he told us that the committee meets at noon so he said to call anytime after 2pm CDT. He said they send out official acceptance letters starting October 1

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else interviewing on 10/1? Looking forward to meeting you all!

I'm not a current student, but I was recently accepted. All I can say is take everything you read at SDN with a grain of salt. I saw a lot of bad reviews too, but nothing to support why they thought this was a bad school. I couldn't find anything to suggest it was a bad school. Every medical student I talked to on the interview had nothing but great things to say. Every medical school has its negatives, you just need to weigh them against its pros and see if the school is right for you, not what other people say. It doesn't matter what other people think about your school if you absolutely love it.

Agreed. They seemed like they have made crucial adjustments to help the program. They genuinely seem happy to have students to teach and help out.

Interviewed on 10/1, accepted 10/3. I'm over the moon right now, the school really impressed me on the day!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello,
I just submitted my secondary on Oct 3rd. When should I find out if I received an interview on average?

Seems to be about a month on average. Might be a little longer with you submitting late.
Oh okay thank you! I was getting scared because I know people earlier in the cycle got a response a week after they submitted their secondary.

Congrats!! I got an email and phone call today as well :soexcited:
Congrats!!! I was wondering how long after you submitted your secondary application did you get an email about an interview?

Congrats!!! I was wondering how long after you submitted your secondary application did you get an email about an interview?

Thanks! I got an II about a week after I submitted my secondary. By far the fastest turn around over any other school.

Thanks! I got an II about a week after I submitted my secondary. By far the fastest turn around over any other school.
Oh man, little scared now. It has been exactly one week since I submitted my secondary to them. I hope it's just because I am late in the cycle.

Oh man, little scared now. It has been exactly one week since I submitted my secondary to them. I hope it's just because I am late in the cycle.

I wouldn't stress yet. I applied asap back in June

I applied in August, and still haven't heard. I think it just depends how strong of an applicant you are

I have a 3.95 cGPA and a 3.92 sGPA with a 501 on my MCAT, 5 pretty strong recommendation letters, cancer research, etc. How do you think I stand in terms of a possible interview? I really want to go to this school.
I think you have a great chance from your stats! If you haven't heard back yet they may be waiting to extend more invites until the first group of acceptances deposit deadline to see how many more spots they can open up. I was recently accepted and believe the first deposits are due Dec. 14th.

I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted my secondary to them, I was complete on 8/14/18. Should I contact them?

Oh wow that is great to hear!!! Yeah you do have a point. It makes sense that they are holding off until then. I really hope I get a response soon, the anxiety is killing me
The interview groups are also very small compared to other places I have interviewed at. For instance there were 6 applicants interviewing on my day. I believe they schedule them for Mondays and Fridays so that may also be a reason for the delay.

I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted my secondary to them, I was complete on 8/14/18. Should I contact them?
I was complete late July and received a secondary and II within a week and a half. My interview was scheduled for almost two months out so it may just be that they are currently filled up. The office of administration is incredibly nice so if you want to contact them to check if they have gotten all your documents I don't think it would hurt.

For anyone worried about hearing from them, go ahead and call. They are one of the most laid back and personable admissions offices Ive talked with. They'll tell you where you stand.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a 3.95 cGPA and a 3.92 sGPA with a 501 on my MCAT, 5 pretty strong recommendation letters, cancer research, etc. How do you think I stand in terms of a possible interview? I really want to go to this school.

I was accepted with similar stats but lower GPA. Idk about you but I'm a non trad student with years of work/research experience.

Does anyone know when a Facebook page will be made for the entering class?

Does anyone know when a Facebook page will be made for the entering class?
Its usually in the Spring. The Student Welcome committee members will add those who have paid a deposit

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone care to elaborate on what their experience on interview day was like? I have my interview on 11/31 and I was curious to see what people felt.

Just cancelled my interview here on 11/12! Hope it goes to whoever is still waiting for one!

Canceled my interview here on 11/2 as well. Hope one of you gets it

I just got an II for February 4th. That seems pretty far away. Has anyone else gotten one for a couple of months out? And have they tried asking for one closer?

I just got an II for February 4th. That seems pretty far away. Has anyone else gotten one for a couple of months out? And have they tried asking for one closer?
Do you mind sharing your general stats?

Hey guys, my primary application was verified on Sept 18th. I havent received an invite to complete the secondary. I emailed them asking if my application is complete and needs any additional information. Im a canadian applicant. i read that they require Intl students to have their transcripts verified by WES but i did not receive an email asking me to do that. Did other canadian students have to get their transcripts verified by WES before receiving a Secondary?

I had my secondary completed in the middle of August, haven't heard anything yet? I know it's early for their cycle, but is this normal?

I had my secondary completed in the middle of August, haven't heard anything yet? I know it's early for their cycle, but is this normal?
Same. first week of august.. And when I called to check in, it is still in review..

Submitted a primary about a month ago but have not received any emails since? Should I contact them

Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between my acceptance here and Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine. Could other prospective students and current students provide some information and/or insight that might help guide my decision?

Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between my acceptance here and Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine. Could other prospective students and current students provide some information and/or insight that might help guide my decision?

I'm going to answer your question in both threads because I am in the same boat and I would bet both forums could benefit from the information I have collected about the schools. First and foremost, either school will make you a great physician.

My thoughts on WCUSOM are that the school is established with residencies, it has found out what problems it had from being a new school and has addressed them, and the rotation sites are little better in my opinion. I have spoken with a residency director in my town that has interviewed WC grads and said they were great physicians in person and on paper. Having a reputation with residencies is really helpful when it eventually becomes your turn. It can be seen from the schools published statistics and SDN reviews, that they did not flourish from the start. They clearly had some curriculum and structure problems that needed to be addressed. From my interview and talks with students, I can not find any critical problems like what once existed. I think the changes to how material is presented and how it's accounted for has greatly improved their board scores. Finally, while I personally hope to practice in a smaller population setting, I think as a student doctor it is important to be well versed in urban and rural medicine because they are just so different. While WC has an emphasis on rural care, and many rotation sites are rural, they have established a fair amount of rotations in urban areas and have several urban sites in partnership that are not official. ARCOM really only has ft. smith for an urban rotation site and I think that could play a role. I believe that by our 3rd year though that they should have more. At the end of the day, Im sure most don't care about that point, I just think of things I want for my education.

For ARCOM, I think one of the biggest pros for the school is the facilities. They blow WC and many other medical schools out of the water. Not that bells and whistles are everything, but I think it can play a significant role in bettering a quality education. I am also drawn to the curriculum at ARCOM. While board scores have not shown if it will really work, I have a good gut feeling about the helix curriculum. I like working with material several times and in different ways. I also think the dean is playing a large role in ensuring ARCOM is successful just as DCOM was successful when he founded it 10 years ago. ARCOM is growing at a fast rate and has fantastic community support. I truly think ARCOM will become one of the better DO schools in a few years time. My hesitation is the newness of the school. I am not worried about gaining accreditation. No school has ever missed accreditation and I don't see any reason ARCOM would be the first. I am hesitant about the board scores. Looking at new DO schools from the last 10ish years, about a third hit the ground running and have great scores. The rest however have had to fix kinks and better themselves for a few years to get to the level of achievement anticipated. Before people say that doing well on boards is a student thing and not a school thing, I understand that. However, I can only imagine how much easier and efficient board prep is when all the material has been taught clearly and effectively.

I have not been able to decide between the 2 schools yet. I think if we were having this conversation in 5 years, ARCOM would be the clear favorite. I struggle though to get over the unknown with ARCOM. If the scores come back this summer and show that this new curriculum does not work, I would no longer be confident in the education I am receiving. If the school can not establish a wider variety of rotations, it could be detrimental. Do I think either of those problems will happen? No. But they could and that is the biggest risk with going to ARCOM before they can prove that everything is in tip-top shape. If anyone has facts/thoughts to add, please let me know.

I'm going to answer your question in both threads because I am in the same boat and I would bet both forums could benefit from the information I have collected about the schools. First and foremost, either school will make you a great physician.

My thoughts on WCUSOM are that the school is established with residencies, it has found out what problems it had from being a new school and has addressed them, and the rotation sites are little better in my opinion. I have spoken with a residency director in my town that has interviewed WC grads and said they were great physicians in person and on paper. Having a reputation with residencies is really helpful when it eventually becomes your turn. It can be seen from the schools published statistics and SDN reviews, that they did not flourish from the start. They clearly had some curriculum and structure problems that needed to be addressed. From my interview and talks with students, I can not find any critical problems like what once existed. I think the changes to how material is presented and how it's accounted for has greatly improved their board scores. Finally, while I personally hope to practice in a smaller population setting, I think as a student doctor it is important to be well versed in urban and rural medicine because they are just so different. While WC has an emphasis on rural care, and many rotation sites are rural, they have established a fair amount of rotations in urban areas and have several urban sites in partnership that are not official. ARCOM really only has ft. smith for an urban rotation site and I think that could play a role. I believe that by our 3rd year though that they should have more. At the end of the day, Im sure most don't care about that point, I just think of things I want for my education.

For ARCOM, I think one of the biggest pros for the school is the facilities. They blow WC and many other medical schools out of the water. Not that bells and whistles are everything, but I think it can play a significant role in bettering a quality education. I am also drawn to the curriculum at ARCOM. While board scores have not shown if it will really work, I have a good gut feeling about the helix curriculum. I like working with material several times and in different ways. I also think the dean is playing a large role in ensuring ARCOM is successful just as DCOM was successful when he founded it 10 years ago. ARCOM is growing at a fast rate and has fantastic community support. I truly think ARCOM will become one of the better DO schools in a few years time. My hesitation is the newness of the school. I am not worried about gaining accreditation. No school has ever missed accreditation and I don't see any reason ARCOM would be the first. I am hesitant about the board scores. Looking at new DO schools from the last 10ish years, about a third hit the ground running and have great scores. The rest however have had to fix kinks and better themselves for a few years to get to the level of achievement anticipated. Before people say that doing well on boards is a student thing and not a school thing, I understand that. However, I can only imagine how much easier and efficient board prep is when all the material has been taught clearly and effectively.

I have not been able to decide between the 2 schools yet. I think if we were having this conversation in 5 years, ARCOM would be the clear favorite. I struggle though to get over the unknown with ARCOM. If the scores come back this summer and show that this new curriculum does not work, I would no longer be confident in the education I am receiving. If the school can not establish a wider variety of rotations, it could be detrimental. Do I think either of those problems will happen? No. But they could and that is the biggest risk with going to ARCOM before they can prove that everything is in tip-top shape. If anyone has facts/thoughts to add, please let me know.

Thanks for the detailed write up. Those are pretty much my thoughts on the two. As far as rotation sites go, I think ARCOM does have sites in Little Rock and other urban areas. Their curriculum is cool but unproven, and I imagine they aren't done fine tuning their approach.

At WCUCOM, I really liked talking with Dr. Weir and Dr. Turner, and they seemed genuinely invested in getting me to attend there and working with me to make sure it was a good fit. I also like the proximity of Hattiesburg to the beach and New Orleans. I want to take my fiancee there to see what she thinks before making a final decision but I doubt we'll be able to do that before the deposit deadline. I'm going to reach out to a WCUCOM alumnus, who happens to be a Fort Smith native and see what their thoughts are.

Thanks for the detailed write up. Those are pretty much my thoughts on the two. As far as rotation sites go, I think ARCOM does have sites in Little Rock and other urban areas. Their curriculum is cool but unproven, and I imagine they aren't done fine tuning their approach.

At WCUCOM, I really liked talking with Dr. Weir and Dr. Turner, and they seemed genuinely invested in getting me to attend there and working with me to make sure it was a good fit. I also like the proximity of Hattiesburg to the beach and New Orleans. I want to take my fiancee there to see what she thinks before making a final decision but I doubt we'll be able to do that before the deposit deadline. I'm going to reach out to a WCUCOM alumnus, who happens to be a Fort Smith native and see what their thoughts are.

Let me know what they say. Any extra information would be great!