2018-2019 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will be declining my acceptance here. Great school with great people, but have decided to stay in my home state. Best of luck to anyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Declining my acceptance as well, got in closer to home. Good luck to whoever gets my spot!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does WCU do silent rejections?
Its been a few months and I still haven't even received a secondary.

They continuously review applications throughout the entire cycle and send out rejections at the end. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good day! I am an international student and I have a cumulative gpa of 3.55 and science gpa of 3.33. My mcat score is 502. I want to know if I am an eligible international student and candidate based on my stats? I also have a letter from shadowing a DO physician and an and physician(I was his medical assistant/tech for procedures-he’s a pain management physician). I have hundreds of hours of shadowing and actual medical hours. I’ve been in multiple honor societies at a national level. Can any other student or international student let me know if I’m at least competitive and should apply or no? If not what schools would accept me because I just want to be a doctor.

Good day! I am an international student and I have a cumulative gpa of 3.55 and science gpa of 3.33. My mcat score is 502. I want to know if I am an eligible international student and candidate based on my stats? I also have a letter from shadowing a DO physician and an and physician(I was his medical assistant/tech for procedures-he’s a pain management physician). I have hundreds of hours of shadowing and actual medical hours. I’ve been in multiple honor societies at a national level. Can any other student or international student let me know if I’m at least competitive and should apply or no? If not what schools would accept me because I just want to be a doctor.

It's difficult being an international student applying to med school. WCUCOM does accept international students but I'd check and make sure you know what the matriculation requirements are. A lot of med schools require international students to put down a very significant deposit.

IMO, if you haven't applied yet you're a little late in the cycle, and better off applying as early as possible next cycle. I'd recommend using the time to strengthen your essays and improve your MCAT score.

Good luck!

Your MCAT is high enough for WCUCOM to consider you, I’m not sure about your GPAs. Despite what the other person said, the DO cycle is open until around mid March, and WCUCOM has been known to interview through May and accept people as late as Mid June. I would say go ahead and apply because you never know what could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is high enough for WCUCOM to consider you, I’m not sure about your GPAs. Despite what the other person said, the DO cycle is open until around mid March, and WCUCOM has been known to interview through May and accept people as late as Mid June. I would say go ahead and apply because you never know what could happen.

But I don't think WCU accept international students though. You have to have a green card or be a US citizen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Their MCAT is high enough but not as an international student. Being an international student AND a reapplicant is a far more uphill battle than being just an international student. While it's possible they might still get in this cycle, I'd strongly recommend waiting a year to strengthen their application unless there are extenuating circumstances necessitating an application this year.

I am also an international student and have a very similar status. I got an interview for Feb. And I already have an acceptance from another DO school. So definitely there is a chance to get in this school or other DO school if you choose to apply. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also an international student and have a very similar status. I got an interview for Feb. And I already have an acceptance from another DO school. So definitely there is a chance to get in this school or other DO school if you choose to apply. Good luck!
Thank you! What is the other do school you applied too?

I was recently wait listed. I was really hoping to get in as this is my top pick school. I know the deposit deadline was the 14th, Just wondering do you think more seats will open?

I was recently wait listed. I was really hoping to get in as this is my top pick school. I know the deposit deadline was the 14th, Just wondering do you think more seats will open?
When were you waitlisted? I think there are plenty of seats open still because they interview well into the cycle. A 1st year student told our interviewing group that he was interviewed and accepted in May, and plenty of his classmates were interviewed and accepted in the spring.

When were you waitlisted? I think there are plenty of seats open still because they interview well into the cycle. A 1st year student told our interviewing group that he was interviewed and accepted in May, and plenty of his classmates were interviewed and accepted in the spring.

I was wait listed on 12/13. That is good to know they go that far out. Do you think there are any seats open right now?

I was wait listed on 12/13. That is good to know they go that far out. Do you think there are any seats open right now?
Yes. I was waitlisted that day also and accepted 12/18. If anything, you can call the office on Monday and ask about your app status. I’d probably wait until they have another committee meeting before calling. Not sure when their next adcom meeting is though.

Hey everyone, I received a secondary invite back in October and filled it out same day and have not heard back. I even sent in an update to my AACOMAS shadowing a DO in internal medicine a few weeks ago. I assume I am on some pre-interview hold or does this school do silent rejections? Any advice would be great.

Hey everyone, I received a secondary invite back in October and filled it out same day and have not heard back. I even sent in an update to my AACOMAS shadowing a DO in internal medicine a few weeks ago. I assume I am on some pre-interview hold or does this school do silent rejections? Any advice would be great.

I'd be sure to update WCUCOM in addition to AACOMAS. They typically don't send secondaries to students they don't plan on interviewing. If it makes you feel any better, I was complete early July, and I didn't get an interview until September for a December date. They accept on a rolling basis, and I'm sure it slows down as the cycle progresses.

I'd be sure to update WCUCOM in addition to AACOMAS. They typically don't send secondaries to students they don't plan on interviewing. If it makes you feel any better, I was complete early July, and I didn't get an interview until September for a December date. They accept on a rolling basis, and I'm sure it slows down as the cycle progresses.
Thank you very much, I do feel better! I actually decided to just call and the admissions counselor was very friendly. I emailed her pretty much a summary of my updates to AACOMAS and a verbatim attachment. Hoping for an interview soon from them, I have KYCOM Friday and LECOM in February, I just want to be proactive to ensure I get in somewhere, since I know all of us want to be Docs :) How was your interview at the school and how was the surrounding town?

Thank you very much, I do feel better! I actually decided to just call and the admissions counselor was very friendly. I emailed her pretty much a summary of my updates to AACOMAS and a verbatim attachment. Hoping for an interview soon from them, I have KYCOM Friday and LECOM in February, I just want to be proactive to ensure I get in somewhere, since I know all of us want to be Docs :) How was your interview at the school and how was the surrounding town?

The interview was very pleasant and laid back. The same people interview everyone, so there's a lot of downtime while you wait for your turn. The day is over after the interview, so I'd try and volunteer for an earlier interview time when they ask if you want to leave earlier. The town is decent, a few pretty good restaurants. Nothing too exciting. However, it's very close to New Orleans and the beach, so that's a plus. I liked the people I met there, and the faculty. They're all super nice and welcoming. I put down a seat deposit, but might be withdrawing my acceptance since I got into an MD program in the city I currently live in. I have a few acceptances, but I was impressed with WCUCOM enough to put my deposit here over other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, just put in my seat deposit for this school! I wanted to ask if there was a specific phone service that has good signal at William Carey in Hattiesburg.

Thanks!

Hi guys, just put in my seat deposit for this school! I wanted to ask if there was a specific phone service that has good signal at William Carey in Hattiesburg.

Thanks!

Any major US service provider should work fine.

Just submitted my secondary. How long do you guys wait for your invite or rejection? :)

Just submitted my secondary. How long do you guys wait for your invite or rejection? :)
Lmaoo I was complete from this school since October but never heard anything in regards to an interview. I called multiple times and showed interest. Oh well, I put my deposit down at a different medical school. Guess it wasn't meant to be

Reactions: 2 users
Lmaoo I was complete from this school since October but never heard anything in regards to an interview. I called multiple times and showed interest. Oh well, I put my deposit down at a different medical school. Guess it wasn't meant to be

Me too. Kind of a shame, but what’s meant to be is meant to be.

Anyone hear back from the school post secondary?
I called today. They said they are still interviewing people. I guess the only thing I can do is wait...

Anyone hear back from the school post secondary?
I called today. They said they are still interviewing people. I guess the only thing I can do is wait...

I’ve been waiting to hear since October. I’ve been told my app is still being considered twice when I inquired about it

Reactions: 1 users
Just received an interview invite!!! Can't wait to visit!!

Reactions: 3 users
Will you be attending?

I've put a seat deposit down but I've also received an acceptance to a program that's more convenient for me to attend geographically. I'll have to think about it and I don't want to be rash but more likely than not, I won't be attending. I do like the program though

Can anyone share the recent average comlex scores? All I can find is percent pass rate.

Can any current students speak about how the curriculum is set up? Is it just only daily lectures and anatomy lab? Is there anything else in place for studying or practicing skills (like standardized patients)?

Can any current students speak about how the curriculum is set up? Is it just only daily lectures and anatomy lab? Is there anything else in place for studying or practicing skills (like standardized patients)?

Daily lectures with anatomy lab twice per week. Anatomy lab is an A/B system, so group A will go one day and group B the next. Doctoring skills and OPP only meet once per week, and each class has a 2 hour lab on the same day. Doctoring skills will use standardized patients in the labs every now and then, but we usually practice on fellow students in our own time. OPP is practice on your own time, but the lab is always open to students to practice and the teachers are willing to go out of their way to help if you need it.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an II for 3/22!
As an OOS, is there anything I need to watch out for during the interview? Things like why would you want to work in Mississippi, etc.
Also, how are the clinical rotations over there? Does WCUCOM place a large emphasis on OMT?

This will be my first time visiting Mississippi since moving to the US :)

Reactions: 1 users
I received an II for 3/22!
As an OOS, is there anything I need to watch out for during the interview? Things like why would you want to work in Mississippi, etc.
Also, how are the clinical rotations over there? Does WCUCOM place a large emphasis on OMT?

This will be my first time visiting Mississippi since moving to the US :)

Are you a US citizen then?

Are you a US citizen then?
You don't have to be a U.S. citizen, as long you're a legal permanent resident (Green Card owner), you're fine. Which is probably what he has if he hasn't gone through a naturalization process yet.

You don't have to be a U.S. citizen, as long you're a legal permanent resident (Green Card owner), you're fine. Which is probably what he has if he hasn't gone through a naturalization process yet.

Yep. I'm just a non green card international. Just wondering if he/she is on the same boat.

Yep. I'm just a non green card international. Just wondering if he/she is on the same boat.
Actually, I have gone through the naturalization process 2-3 years ago! I just meant in the broader sense that I never visited other states than CA - where I live right now.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted this cycle. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I am a current pre-clinical student. I have some pretty "strong" opinions on the program, but I'll answer (just about) anything you're curious about.

Also, if you haven't heard back, don't give up hope. When I applied, my app wasn't complete until February, and I didn't interview until the end of May.

How do you feel the school has prepared you for COMPLEX? Also how is the clinical rotations in WCUCOM? It is common knowledge that DO schools tends to have difficulty with rotations but I will like to know what you feel about it!