2018 Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emotionlessface

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a black male Georgia resident (Psych major w/ an studio art minor) with a oGPA of about 3.3 and sGPA of about 3.1. I'm also a first generation American (born here but parents are immigrants from Nigeria). I have a long list of B's/B+'s but I got a C+ in Gen Chem 1 and a C in Bio 1 which I think has had a significant impact on my GPAs, as well as suspicions of undiagnosed social anxiety within my first year in undergrad (but I'm not 100% sure).

I'm taking the DAT late June with basically all my time after this semester going towards studying for it. I was planning on applying this summer, but after some thought I'm having some doubts. With a plan to have about 200 shadowing hours when I apply as well as decent ECs with some leadership lined up next year, would you think that it's still reasonable to apply to 15+ schools this cycle? I used to think that my application would present some kind of well-roundedness that would make up for some areas, but I'm well aware that my GPA is questionable. I also possibly have a research assistant position lined up next semester, and have taken a strong consideration in applying for any of the three HPSP scholarships.

I greatly appreciate all kinds of answers.

I would apply if I was in your situation. You have 2 things going for you, first generation and URM which dental schools love. If you do well on your dat you will be a sure thing at many schools because you add a dimension to a school that many of us do not have. Honestly, keep doing what you are doing and you will have no problem getting in. Don't wait another year.

I would apply if I was in your situation. You have 2 things going for you, first generation and URM which dental schools love. If you do well on your dat you will be a sure thing at many schools because you add a dimension to a school that many of us do not have. Honestly, keep doing what you are doing and you will have no problem getting in. Don't wait another year.
Really?? Because after this semester my BCP/sGPA will be around 3.0-3.1, and although I’m aiming for a pretty high DAT score, it’s pretty demoralizing when it comes to applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone aims for a good DAT score. With that said you do have those 2 things that help you during the cycle. Don’t get overly confident, 3.0-3.1 BCP is not great. If you do actually kill the DAT (22+) you will definitely stand a fair chance this cycle. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. Seeking some advice...

I believe my 3.48 GPA is too low to get me into any med school at all (Canada or ABP), so I am considering beginning a MSc in January to boost my grades. Haven’t written the MCAT yet.

Should I even bother applying ABP this year (for 2019 entry) or should I start my Masters first, wait til next year and apply both in Canada and ABP with my Masters grades to (hopefully) boost my GPA?

Also if I did apply to ABP this Fall, would it help my chances at all to take some online undergrad courses in the winter 2019 semester? Or is that too little too late?

Furthermore, with my current low GPA would it even be possible to get in in Canada after a 3-semester MSc?!

Hey guys. Seeking some advice...

I believe my 3.48 GPA is too low to get me into any med school at all (Canada or ABP), so I am considering beginning a MSc in January to boost my grades. Haven’t written the MCAT yet.

Should I even bother applying ABP this year (for 2019 entry) or should I start my Masters first, wait til next year and apply both in Canada and ABP with my Masters grades to (hopefully) boost my GPA?

Also if I did apply to ABP this Fall, would it help my chances at all to take some online undergrad courses in the winter 2019 semester? Or is that too little too late?

Furthermore, with my current low GPA would it even be possible to get in in Canada after a 3-semester MSc?!

Youre in the dental forums you might want to check out the premed ones