MD & DO 2018 Cycle - Thoughts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesportsdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian student
3.3 sGPA 3.3cGPA (Strong Upward Trend - Yr1) 2.6 Yr2) 2.7 Yr3) 3.4 Yr4) 3.9 Yr5) 4.0
506 MCAT (127/123/130/126)
250 hours of shadowing (OR/Clinic)
200 hours hospital volunteering
Worked all throughout undergrad 15-30 hours/week (Waiter/Bartender)
LORs - Orthopedic Surgeon, Hospital Volunteer Coordinator, Pharmacology Professor
& Medical Physics Professor (Physics Dept. Head)

I received a secondary from Wayne State University after completing my primary Nov 30th.

If I apply early next cycle do I have a good shot at getting interview to Michigan MD schools? or MSUCOM?

I also plan to rewrite my MCAT for a third time

1st attempt (9/4/7)
2nd attempt (127/123/130/126)

Members don't see this ad.

You are not competitive as a Canadian for US MD schools. Find out which DO schools accept applications from Canadians and apply to all of those.

You are not competitive as a Canadian for US MD schools. Find out which DO schools accept applications from Canadians and apply to all of those.

Would you care to elaborate? What should I improve on to become a better Canadian applicant for US MD schools?
If its the CARS score; I'm tackling that problem now...If it's the GPA, at this point it's irreparable and I hope that adcoms will see the improvement and consistency from the "then" to "now".

The GPA-MCAT grid shows that applicants with your GPA and MCAT have a 20% chance for a MD acceptance. Most of those 20% who are accepted receive an acceptance at their state public MD school which prefer their own residents. Others are those who have PhD's, veteran status, etc. You could improve your MCAT score but many MD schools average scores. Concentrate on DO applications.