2018 University of Houston C/O 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fzabidi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know if it's too early for this but I didnt see any college of 2018 applicants thread and would like to make this one.
Is anyone else planning to apply to UH COP this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so excited to see this here. U of H is my first choice in my pharmacy application and I really hope I get in! Where else are you applying to?

This is one of many schools that I will be applying to. I live in the Houston area so I prefer to stay here. UH and TSU are my top 2 choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I am also applying to this school...In addition to the following:

1. University of Arizona
2. Midwestern University- Glendale
3. Roseman University
4. Campbell University
and maybe
5. University of Georgia

Hey. Does anyone know anything about the Early Decision program at the University of Houston? Do you know anyone who got in on early decision and what their stats were. I am looking to apply for Early Decision and I am yet to take the PCAT (taking it in July) and I have a sGPA of 3.2 and cGPA of 3.2. Do y'all think my chances are somewhat okay?

Hey. Does anyone know anything about the Early Decision program at the University of Houston? Do you know anyone who got in on early decision and what their stats were. I am looking to apply for Early Decision and I am yet to take the PCAT (taking it in July) and I have a sGPA of 3.2 and cGPA of 3.2. Do y'all think my chances are somewhat okay?

Your chances are good at getting an interview as long as you have a strong PCAT score and good supplemental material on the applications. Good luck! :)

EDP Deadline for UH is September 3rd. Interviews for EDP are September 28th. PharmCAS schools that do EDP will make their decisions by October 18th.

Thanks. I put up a more detailed post of my stats on another thread and i'll just copy it here.

Here it goes:

My stats are:
Cum GPA: 3.21
Science GPA: 3.19
Graduating Fall 2013 with a Biochemistry Degree (Chemistry Minor)

Taking the PCAT in July (might move it to September because I don't feel prepared and I'm trying to shoot for 99%ile.)

Positions held in school:
-Director of Finance ASO (2011-2012)
-Director of Communications ASO (2012-2013)
-Vice President of Finance for my sorority (2013-present)
-Treasurer for Pharmacy club (2013-present)

Jobs:
-Resident Assistant (2011-2012)
-Content Tutor (2012- 2013)
-Tutor for underrepresented minorities (2013-present)
-Student Worker Library (2013- present)
*Undergraduate Research Assistant (2012-Present)- I synthesize and characterize Ionic Liquids and study their interactions with proteins.

Lots of Volunteer activities.

However, I have just one pharmacy volunteer experience in college.

I really hope I get in for early decision.

Last edited:
Thanks. I put up a more detailed post of my stats on another thread and i'll just copy it here.

Here it goes:

My stats are:
Cum GPA: 3.21
Science GPA: 3.19
Graduating Fall 2013 with a Biochemistry Degree (Chemistry Minor)

Taking the PCAT in July (might move it to September because I don't feel prepared and I'm trying to shoot for 99%ile.)

Positions held in school:
-Director of Finance ASO (2011-2012)
-Director of Communications ASO (2012-2013)
-Vice President of Finance for my sorority (2013-present)
-Treasurer for Pharmacy club (2013-present)

Jobs:
-Resident Assistant (2011-2012)
-Content Tutor (2012- 2013)
-Tutor for underrepresented minorities (2013-present)
-Student Worker Library (2013- present)

Lots of Volunteer activities.

However, I have just one pharmacy volunteer experience and it was prior to college.

I really hope I get in for early decision.

Where did you do your undergrad work at?

I'm currently at Louisiana State University.

Hello I will also be applying to U of H. I'm taking the PCAT in abt 7 days! good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Houston is one of my top choices too! I've been to the campus and met with some recruiters and the school seems very welcoming. Houston would also be a great place to live.

I would really recommend you try and get a pharmacy technician job as soon as possible. Your academics and extracurriculars are competitive, but here at UH the admissions team really wants to see you have experience and a passion for the field of pharmacy. I have seen and heard of people with 4.0 and PCAT scores in the 90s not get accepted because they lack any real experience in pharmacy. It really helps too in your interviews, when you can discuss pharmacy issues firsthand.

I would really recommend you try and get a pharmacy technician job as soon as possible. Your academics and extracurriculars are competitive, but here at UH the admissions team really wants to see you have experience and a passion for the field of pharmacy. I have seen and heard of people with 4.0 and PCAT scores in the 90s not get accepted because they lack any real experience in pharmacy. It really helps too in your interviews, when you can discuss pharmacy issues firsthand.

Thank you for your response. I am an international student and we are not allowed to work off campus hence I cannot work as a tech. I have volunteered at a pharmacy and that's about how much I can do with regards to work experience in a pharmacy setting. I am hoping my application is good enough to at least land me an interview.

Thank you for your response. I am an international student and we are not allowed to work off campus hence I cannot work as a tech. I have volunteered at a pharmacy and that's about how much I can do with regards to work experience in a pharmacy setting. I am hoping my application is good enough to at least land me an interview.

I used to be an internation students too.... I don't know about University of Houston but I know that UCSF and UCSD are not accepting ANY international students (maybe 1 or 2 for SF...)

it was really sux to be an international student.. I really had a hard time.

good luck on your application!!!

Thought I'd chime in as a current first-year student here at UHCOP.:p Best of luck to everyone. And I hope to see some if not all of you at the interviews that are to come.:D

I applied through early decision to UH and received my interview invite on Thursday. Hope to meet several of you that day! Just curious... does anyone know approximately how many early decision applicants interviewed are usually accepted? Or the overall number of interviews versus number accepted? Thanks. I apologize if these have been answered elsewhere. I'm just trying to calm my nerves. Good luck to everyone!

I applied through early decision to UH and received my interview invite on Thursday. Hope to meet several of you that day! Just curious... does anyone know approximately how many early decision applicants interviewed are usually accepted? Or the overall number of interviews versus number accepted? Thanks. I apologize if these have been answered elsewhere. I'm just trying to calm my nerves. Good luck to everyone!

wow. good luck!!

Hi. Just a few questions. When was your application mailed and what are your stats?
My application was mailed yesterday (monday). I'm really nervous and I am trying to speak positive that I will get an interview.
As for the stats of the early decision program, I do not think they have it up. I would think that since its not on pharmcas, they most likely combine the stats of early decision applicants with that of regular decision.

My gpa and pcat are not exceptional, by far, but they are competitive. I have a BS in biology, with a minor in chemistry. I will graduate in May with an MA in public health.

Over the last 7 years I've served as the lead technician, relief tech for the company, and as a corporate pharmacy trainer. I was a human anatomy tutor for 2 semesters. Currently I'm the lead tech for our pharmacy, as well as the head teaching assistant for anatomy.

Unfortunately, family circumstances demanded that I work such a rigorous schedule even as an undergrad and carry a full course load. So I'm hoping that my strong pharmacy experience and true love for the field will offset any weaknesses.

For those without pharmacy experience, I strongly encourage you to get some. At the very least, go talk to the pharmacists in your area. Know what you're getting into. Yes, there are more areas of pharmacy than just retail. But the reality is, that's where many will end up. Personally, I love it. But it is definitely not for everyone!

Keep checking your email. Mine was in my junk/bulk mail folder. I wish you the best of luck...

My application was mailed on Aug 28.

Hey all, hope everyone is ready for interviews. Us P1 ambassadors are really excited to see the new applicants come out starting on 9/28. If y'all have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer as best as possible!

Any updates on the interview guys? Hope the early decision interview went well yesterday!

We had a great turnout and a lot of good applicants come out and interview. It was a pleasure to see some of the future P1s!

The wait is going to be the death of me... The 18th seems like years away!

Last edited:
Does anyone know when regular decision interview invites start going out?

Does anyone know when regular decision interview invites start going out?

Oct. 26th is the first date for regular decision applicants. There will be a morning and afternoon interview session, applicants will either be in one session or the other.

Has anyone gotten a response from the early admissions?!?!?!:scared::scared::scared:

I haven't heard anything yet. Getting more and more anxious by the day.

I applied early decision. Waiting on the results of the interview.

out of state or instate?
lol so i might not submit my pharmcas application until next week. is that considering somewhat late?

out of state or instate?
lol so i might not submit my pharmcas application until next week. is that considering somewhat late?

In-state. I wouldn't consider that late. The deadline is Dec 2 for UH.

I remember for me it took about 3 weeks exactly to get my acceptance. For the Early Decision Applicants however, I'm not sure how long it will take.

Congratulations to any early-decision applicants who have gotten acceptance emails, or will get them in the next two days. I'm so excited for you! To give my letters of recommendation ample time, I decided to not go the Early Decision route, and the anticipation is driving me crazy! :scared:

To the person who posted that UH is not out-of-state friendly, may I ask why you say that? I met with an advisor, Ms. Hindocha, back in Aug. 2012 when I started looking at UH. I had raised the question with her (I'm from Ohio), and she assured me that the University and College of Pharmacy would not use residency as a factor in determining admittance.

To anybody else who is regular decision, have you received invites for interviews yet -or heard anything in general? If you have, when did you submit your supplemental and how long did it take for you to get an invite?

Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations to any early-decision applicants who have gotten acceptance emails, or will get them in the next two days. I'm so excited for you! To give my letters of recommendation ample time, I decided to not go the Early Decision route, and the anticipation is driving me crazy! :scared:

To the person who posted that UH is not out-of-state friendly, may I ask why you say that? I met with an advisor, Ms. Hindocha, back in Aug. 2012 when I started looking at UH. I had raised the question with her (I'm from Ohio), and she assured me that the University and College of Pharmacy would not use residency as a factor in determining admittance.

To anybody else who is regular decision, have you received invites for interviews yet -or heard anything in general? If you have, when did you submit your supplemental and how long did it take for you to get an invite?

go to AACP..and look up the statistic. you will see Texan schools' # of acceptances as In-State and Out-Of-State.

Just to give you peace of mind, we have quite a few out-of-state students here in our P1 class and quite a few international students. Don't worry about statistics or what you read on websites because I can tell you that our class is very diverse. Good luck!

Just to give you peace of mind, we have quite a few out-of-state students here in our P1 class and quite a few international students. Don't worry about statistics or what you read on websites because I can tell you that our class is very diverse. Good luck!

Thank you! It is reassuring to hear that from you.
I was just about to say, I have seen the AACP stats before... Back when only the 2011 information was available, and did take a look at the 2012 findings. If memory serves me correctly, out of state has more than doubled.

damn it... i just called the admission and they said they will probably not going to accept the student if we dont have a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist... they said it is required...ughhh

can anyone tell me if that's 100% true?

Last edited:
Received a denial today. :( Now to apply elsewhere and keep pushing forward... But I wish the rest of you the best of luck.

what's your pcat score and GPA? if you dont mind tell us

Composite PCAT is 76. Undergrad gpa is 3.12. BS in biology, minor in chemistry. Will graduate in May with an MA in public health. Current gpa as graduate student is 3.67. I've been a CPhT for 7 years, serving as a corporate trainer and as head tech for 2 years and 4 years, respectively.

Hoping to find out what went wrong - if there's something I need to change or a mistake I made during the interview process.

Wow... They turned down some résumé like that....

I'm also the head teaching assistant for 11 human anatomy labs this semester, not that it makes any difference at this point. I left the interview process that day feeling like I'd conquered the world. My self-confidence has definitely been shaken a little. :confused:

Composite PCAT is 76. Undergrad gpa is 3.12. BS in biology, minor in chemistry. Will graduate in May with an MA in public health. Current gpa as graduate student is 3.67. I've been a CPhT for 7 years, serving as a corporate trainer and as head tech for 2 years and 4 years, respectively.

Hoping to find out what went wrong - if there's something I need to change or a mistake I made during the interview process.

damn, dude what the hell? your stat deserves some good schools.. I dont know why they denied you!! Apply elsewhere and I'm very positive that u would get in without problem.