2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTPuser

DPM, FACFAS, WAP
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Not sure if there's a thread already for this cycle on this program, but if there is, I apologize. Tried searching but couldn't find any.
I'm applying to this program after a terrible second MCAT attempt. Which I believe no school will even consider me for their traditional route.
Stats:
OOS
Non-traditional
Lots of healthcare experiences
CGPA: 3.49
SGPA: 3.33
MCAT: 490-496

My app has been verified and I already received the email saying that they received my application.

Praying I get in. Best of luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, everyone!

Not sure if there's a thread already for this cycle on this program, but if there is, I apologize. Tried searching but couldn't find any.
I'm applying to this program after a terrible second MCAT attempt. Which I believe no school will even consider me for their traditional route.
Stats:
OOS
Non-traditional

My app has been verified and I already received the email saying that they received my application.

Fingers crossed for you PoonTangPoon! I hope you hear back soon. Applicants to this program for the previous cycle did not start hearing back until end of February/March (not entirely sure why). Is this the only SMP/Postbacc you are applying to?

Has anyone heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email from Bluefield saying it would take 4 weeks to process my application on 11/5. Today, they sent me an email saying it had moved to a final review and that in 2 weeks they would give me an update. We shall see in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

I received an email from Bluefield saying it would take 4 weeks to process my application on 11/5. Today, they sent me an email saying it had moved to a final review and that in 2 weeks they would give me an update. We shall see in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

I got the same email yesterday as well! I am getting nervous but hoping for the best!

Don't fret. You'll get in. Just be ready for the work!. Its very doable and surpass-able.

Stats:
OOS
Non-traditional

Praying I get in. Best of luck to everyone else![/QUOTE]

Hi, everyone!

Stats:
OOS
Non-traditional

Don't fret! You'll get in. Just be ready for the work! its very doable and surpass-able.

Current MABS student.

I received an admission offer today ☺️ So excited! Any advice from those who are currently in the program? Anything I should prepare for or you wish you had known before starting?

I received an admission offer today ☺️ So excited! Any advice from those who are currently in the program? Anything I should prepare for or you wish you had known before starting?

Congrats! was it via email, text? When was your application completed? Mind sharing stats? I was completed since 10/10 and then my app was in final review on 11/12/18. They said it may take up to weeks for decision its 12/20 and I still haven't heard anything. I know it's a long process but I'm dying lol.

Currents MABS student here who recently got an acceptance from meeting the benchmark numbers. Good luck to everyone applying!! Great to hear that some of you have already received admission decisions, its a very great program! I agree with Raindrop Cake (cool name btw)! The beginning def starts out slow but PLEASE PLEASE use that to your benefit. Even if you may not have an exam in that class for two weeks, study it! So then its more so just review versus hard core studying the week of.

Also, I never studied more than two classes at a time. So prioritize what to study and when. They will stress study groups, personally I didn't really use them until the weekend (1-2 days) before the exam as just a review. As Raindrop Cake already stated in "5.)" SLEEP and "you time" is very important and never sacrifice that!! I went out maybe 5 times throughout the semester. Not much considering that its 18 weeks but it still counts as something! Feel free to contact me with any questions or tips.

My stats were
MCAT: 494
sGPA: 3.4
cGPA:3.4
Extracurriculars: EVERYTHING.

I finished the semester with a 3.9 GPA in the program. Not really a typeA person but I think I have some great tips if anyone needs it.

Reactions: 1 users
Just do your best to start out strong, do tons of practice questions, and please please do not try to memorize every small detail! Yes, you will be tested on some small details but trying to memorize every word on the slide will only hurt you since they ask more second/third order questions versus first order.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! was it via email, text? When was your application completed? Mind sharing stats? I was completed since 10/10 and then my app was in final review on 11/12/18. They said it may take up to weeks for decision its 12/20 and I still haven't heard anything. I know it's a long process but I'm dying lol.
Hey thank you! I got an email with an admission offer stating more info would be sent to begin matriculation. I completed my application around the same time you did but there was a discrepancy with one of my references. Long story short, MABSvreceived my application November 5th and I got email about a final review 12/4 and got accepted 12/19.

My stats are:
GPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.1

Extracurricular activities:
Volunteered abroad for over a year. I have volunteered for one year and continue to volunteer as a spanish medical interpreter at a free clinic. I have worked as a medical scribe for 14 months. I also had internships and shadowed lots of different docs.

Do not be discouraged! I didn’t know how bad my stats were until I reviewed my app. I am so thankful for his great opportunity and I hope you hear back soon.

What are your stats?

Congratulations!! So excited for you! :soexcited:

The fall semester starts off slowly but then rapidly picks up towards the end, so use the first half to your advantage by staying on top of your studies and finishing projects and assignments early, even the ones that aren't due until the end of the semester. Getting those assignments out of the way helps tremendously.

Here are a few personal guidelines I've followed throughout the semester. They're not for everyone, but I've found they work for me:

1) Always attend class
2) Always pay attention in class -- no matter how busy you feel or what people around you are doing or who the professor is, DON'T use class time to study for other exams, work on other assignments, etc.
3) Make note of when the professors emphasize particular topics
4) Block out study time for each day and stick to that schedule
5) Never sacrifice sleep, healthy meals, or time with loved ones for additional study time
6) Try to do some sort of physical activity daily

Over the summer, my only suggestion is to fill out the AACOMAS and have that ready to go, even if you don't plan on applying to any other D.O. programs. I also recommend finishing up VCOM's secondary essays, as you'll eventually need to submit both the AACOMAS and the VCOM secondary application as a formality for acceptance through MABS. You'll get plenty of information on how to apply once the program starts, but it's good to have them ready to go beforehand so that you don't have to worry about them later.

Thank you for all that great input! I think I am going to save the application I submitted via ACCOMAS and work on those essays for sure.

Currents MABS student here who recently got an acceptance from meeting the benchmark numbers. Good luck to everyone applying!! Great to hear that some of you have already received admission decisions, its a very great program! I agree with Raindrop Cake (cool name btw)! The beginning def starts out slow but PLEASE PLEASE use that to your benefit. Even if you may not have an exam in that class for two weeks, study it! So then its more so just review versus hard core studying the week of.

Also, I never studied more than two classes at a time. So prioritize what to study and when. They will stress study groups, personally I didn't really use them until the weekend (1-2 days) before the exam as just a review. As Raindrop Cake already stated in "5.)" SLEEP and "you time" is very important and never sacrifice that!! I went out maybe 5 times throughout the semester. Not much considering that its 18 weeks but it still counts as something! Feel free to contact me with any questions or tips.

My stats were
cGPA:3.4
Extracurriculars: EVERYTHING.

I finished the semester with a 3.9 GPA in the program. Not really a typeA person but I think I have some great tips if anyone needs it.

Congratulations on your great accomplishment :) 3.9 is quite remarkable! I am so stoked to get started and so glad to know by now well before starting.

Thank you for your advice!

I have another question, it is regarding tuition and loans. How did you guys go about navigating this process? Do you guys know about any scholarships?

Once you have your Bluefield account set up and your FAFSA submitted, Bluefield's Financial Aid office will contact you with information regarding loans. They offer unsubsidized federal loans to cover tuition, but unfortunately they don't offer coverage for living expenses. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any scholarships offered for this program.

@Holycrapmedicine Please check me on this!
100% correct to my knowledge!!

@Raindrop Cake @holycrapmedicine Thank you for that information. If you don't mind me asking, how did or do you guys pay for your living expenses? I know working is probably not recommended. Just trying to decipher how I should prepare financially :)

Hey all,

Current MABS student here as well and got accepted through the December benchmarks. I am also more than willing to share my study tips/advice as well, although I think Raindrop Cake and Holycrapmedicine definitely covered the important stuff already.

@Raindrop Cake @holycrapmedicine Thank you for that information. If you don't mind me asking, how did or do you guys pay for your living expenses? I know working is probably not recommended. Just trying to decipher how I should prepare financially :)

The "working policy" stance of the program is that it highly discouraged as the classes and studying will take a significant portion of your time. That being said, I do know of at least one friend who did work and managed to get good grades. I can't speak on behalf of others but I have been paying my expenses with the money I saved up from working during undergrad/gap year. Financial aid should help cover expenses as well(or at least I was offered that option when I was given my loan offer). Just to give some rough numbers from my personal experience...the max loan I could take out for the academic year was like 40k but I only took out enough to cover the tuition cost which was 28-29k. You can definitely get more advise/help from the financial aid office rep through Bluefield as they are super helpful.

Hope this helps. Like I said, feel free to ask more questions or PM as needed :)

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!! So excited for you! :soexcited:

The fall semester starts off slowly but then rapidly picks up towards the end, so use the first half to your advantage by staying on top of your studies and finishing projects and assignments early, even the ones that aren't due until the end of the semester. Getting those assignments out of the way helps tremendously.

Here are a few personal guidelines I've followed throughout the semester. They're not for everyone, but I've found they work for me:

1) Always attend class
2) Always pay attention in class -- no matter how busy you feel or what people around you are doing or who the professor is, DON'T use class time to study for other exams, work on other assignments, etc.
3) Make note of when the professors emphasize particular topics
4) Block out study time for each day and stick to that schedule
5) Never sacrifice sleep, healthy meals, or time with loved ones for additional study time
6) Try to do some sort of physical activity daily

Over the summer, my only suggestion is to fill out the AACOMAS and have that ready to go, even if you don't plan on applying to any other D.O. programs. I also recommend finishing up VCOM's secondary essays, as you'll eventually need to submit both the AACOMAS and the VCOM secondary application as a formality for acceptance through MABS. You'll get plenty of information on how to apply once the program starts, but it's good to have them ready to go beforehand so that you don't have to worry about them later.

i hate to be that annoying guy but i cant say i agree with a few of these. I used every single one of my absences becasue class time is not very important. The teachers will test based on the slides and there was only one instance where there was a question that was only said in class and not written (anatomy is you were guessing). Most of the teachers will give you an exam outline before the exam so taking notes on what was stressed really didnt matter for me. Sleep and exercise are a must, ditto studying but i dont believe that the time in class was worth being there at all. I too made the December benchmarks so what you do in class time will be based on you personally i would assume but i was not a fan.

Accepted !!!

Stats:

cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.17

Out of state applicant from Arizona

2+ years EMS experience

Submitted 11/28 - Final review 12/4 - Acceptance 1/1/19
Received my acceptance email yesterday! Let’s gooooo !!!!

Hey all,

Current MABS student here as well and got accepted through the December benchmarks. I am also more than willing to share my study tips/advice as well, although I think Raindrop Cake and Holycrapmedicine definitely covered the important stuff already.

The "working policy" stance of the program is that it highly discouraged as the classes and studying will take a significant portion of your time. That being said, I do know of at least one friend who did work and managed to get good grades. I can't speak on behalf of others but I have been paying my expenses with the money I saved up from working during undergrad/gap year. Financial aid should help cover expenses as well(or at least I was offered that option when I was given my loan offer). Just to give some rough numbers from my personal experience...the max loan I could take out for the academic year was like 40k but I only took out enough to cover the tuition cost which was 28-29k. You can definitely get more advise/help from the financial aid office rep through Bluefield as they are super helpful.

Hope this helps. Like I said, feel free to ask more questions or PM as needed :)

Good luck to all!

Thank you for your insight! It is nice to have the option to take out more money if needed. I will for sure forward any questions I may have, thank you for offering. :)

Accepted !!!

Stats:

cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.17

Out of state applicant from Arizona

2+ years EMS experience

Submitted 11/28 - Final review 12/4 - Acceptance 1/1/19
Received my acceptance email yesterday! Let’s gooooo !!!!
Congratulations, it truly is great to know we have been accepted so early! All we have to do now is plan.

Hey guys,
Ive applied to the program also, Im a non trad student, wondering if I have a chance in getting in to this.

stats:
3.68 CGPA
3.48 BCPM GPA
3.55 SGPA
I have an MCAT score which I took in September 2017 and received a 483 but I am retaking at the end of JAN, This is also part of the reason I am applying to this program because of the low mcat score.
I have done shadowing, volunteering, scribing and have a decent amount of experiences.
Submitted application 12/11/2018
verified: 12/12/2018
Under committee review: 12/19/2018

Hey guys,
Ive applied to the program also, Im a non trad student, wondering if I have a chance in getting in to this.

stats:
3.68 CGPA
3.48 BCPM GPA
3.55 SGPA
I have an MCAT score which I took in September 2017 and received a 483 but I am retaking at the end of JAN, This is also part of the reason I am applying to this program because of the low mcat score.
I have done shadowing, volunteering, scribing and have a decent amount of experiences.
Submitted application 12/11/2018
verified: 12/12/2018
Under committee review: 12/19/2018
you wont get in with a 483 thats way too low

Yeah I know the mcat is low, but I've seen people get in with no Mcat scores, and it's not required. But I'm retaking it soon too and mentioned that in the application.

Yeah I know the mcat is low, but I've seen people get in with no Mcat scores, and it's not required. But I'm retaking it soon too and mentioned that in the application.
the reason people get in with no mcat is becasue some of the courses they teach can help you prepare for the test and they assume you have a foundation from undergrad, no offense but with a 483 you dont have a foundation in the sciences and this program will be difficult for you which is not what they are looking for. They told us in the beginning of the year that for some/most people this is a last resort type program for borderline applicants and that while they accept people with lower mcats there is a minimum and id imagine that 483 is below that. hey man i wish you all the best and i really do hope you get in, id imagine they wait until you get your new score to make a decision on your application but please have a backup plan becasue this program got 700+ applications last year, many of whom have mcats over 495. best of luck and feel free to dm me if you have any more questions

Also realize that there are people with 500+ MCAT scores that did not get in. Never lose the faith! I was told the same thing, never let someone tell you what you can and can't do!

Thanks ! yeah, I saw that in the previous years forum. Not planning on giving up, I will keep trying till I make it to where I want to be.

Is there any way to rename this thread to 2019-2020? The year definitely threw me off when I was looking for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Woohoo!!!! Accepted today! 1/6/19 via email! So odd that they sent acceptance email on Sunday but hey, I'm all for it. Work, life and everything else has royally sucked for me lately and I'm just so glad to see some good news taking place. If everything goes accordingly, I will see you guys in the summer :)

Reactions: 4 users
Have you guys received further info about deposits etc? Also, will all the classes / events take place at the Blacksburg campus and not actual Bluefield College? Couldn't find much info on the actual site...I'm trying to find possible living arrangements.

Have you guys received further info about deposits etc? Also, will all the classes / events take place at the Blacksburg campus and not actual Bluefield College? Couldn't find much info on the actual site...I'm trying to find possible living arrangements.

Yes, classes will be held in Blacksburg. The place is not the VCOM campus itself, although you will have access to the VCOM library if needed. The building where your classes will be held is called Rackspace and the address is 1691 Innovation Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060 (unless they decide to change it for next year which I highly doubt). The closest place to rent is Knollwood Apartments (they have plenty of options but tend to fill up very fast), but there are many other options within 15-20 min driving distance max. If you want a list of apartment complexes, let me know and I can send a short list via PM.

As for the deposit information, it takes a while to come with the acceptance information via mail, but the deposit we had to pay was $500.

Last edited:
Yes, classes will be held in Blacksburg. The place is not the VCOM campus itself, although you will have access to the VCOM library if needed. The building where your classes will be held is called Rackspace and the address is 1691 Innovation Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060 (unless they decide to change it for next year which I highly doubt). The closest place to rent is Knollwood Apartments (they have plenty of options but tend to fill up very fast), but there are many other options within 15-20 min driving distance max. If you want a list of apartment complexes, let me know and I can send a short list via PM.

As for the deposit information, it takes a while to come with the acceptance information via mail, but the deposit we had to pay was $500.

Good to know! Thank you so much! If you could please PM me that would be great. I know it's alittle early to start looking but I hate to struggle last min trying to find something.

Good to know! Thank you so much! If you could please PM me that would be great. I know it's alittle early to start looking but I hate to struggle last min trying to find something.

Looking for housing early isn't a bad idea at all. I know Knollwood has a relatively long waitlist already for next year, so it's probably a good thing you are starting to look at your options. I'll send the PM shortly.

Looking for housing early isn't a bad idea at all. I know Knollwood has a relatively long waitlist already for next year, so it's probably a good thing you are starting to look at your options. I'll send the PM shortly.

Thank you! I found a bunch of one bedrooms at Ivy garden but there's literally no pics and for $595 a month all inclusive just sounds too good to be true...I'm a little skeptical. Considering I pay almost triple that price for my NE apartment.

Thank you! I found a bunch of one bedrooms at Ivy garden but there's literally no pics and for $595 a month all inclusive just sounds too good to be true...I'm a little skeptical. Considering I pay almost triple that price for my NE apartment.

I can't seem to send you a PM (some privacy setting from your side I think?). Either way, there is a much easier way to get a listing of apartments around VCOM. Just google "apartments around VCOM" and click on "more places" on the short list that it initially generates. Based on what I know about where my friends live, it seems that Knollwood, Ridgewood Village, Windsor Hills, Highlands, and the Retreat are the common places. Of course, there are other places in Christiansburg and around Blacksburg that I don't know about, so a little bit of googling on your part will be required. You can also utilize Craigslist and look at apartment/duplex listings there, but I would just be a little cautious with some of the offers there.

As for the pricing, it really ranges from ~$400 to upwards of $1000 depending on many factors (primarily location and if you are willing to have roommates). My current rent (split among 2 other roommates) is in the range of $500 which goes up to ~$600 with utilities (gas, water, internet, electricity). Hope this helps!

I can't seem to send you a PM (some privacy setting from your side I think?). Either way, there is a much easier way to get a listing of apartments around VCOM. Just google "apartments around VCOM" and click on "more places" on the short list that it initially generates. Based on what I know about where my friends live, it seems that Knollwood, Ridgewood Village, Windsor Hills, Highlands, and the Retreat are the common places. Of course, there are other places in Christiansburg and around Blacksburg that I don't know about, so a little bit of googling on your part will be required. You can also utilize Craigslist and look at apartment/duplex listings there, but I would just be a little cautious with some of the offers there.

As for the pricing, it really ranges from ~$400 to upwards of $1000 depending on many factors (primarily location and if you are willing to have roommates). My current rent (split among 2 other roommates) is in the range of $500 which goes up to ~$600 with utilities (gas, water, internet, electricity). Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! I've been reading previous year's thread, but is there any advice you're willing to give? Anything you wish you knew or did differently? all is appreciated :) I'm nervous for program lol

Thanks for the input! I've been reading previous year's thread, but is there any advice you're willing to give? Anything you wish you knew or did differently? all is appreciated :) I'm nervous for program lol

A few others have already given some good tips earlier in the thread. Honestly, this program comes down to whatever style works best for you (group or solo study, taking extensive notes during lecture or just passively listening etc.) For me, what I found best was finding a small core group of friends who really motivated each other to study and filled in the knowledge gaps for each other, BUT group studying is not something that is for everybody. So, just be willing to experiment early in the semester and find what works for your early on rather than later in the semester when it might be a bit too late. Bottom line is you need to be willing to adapt and change your strategy if you are not performing well. Don't stick with a study style if it clearly isn't working for you.

Another big thing is try to stay on top of your studying as much as possible. You will reach a point in the semester where it all starts to become a bit overwhelming which is why it is very important to stay on top of the workload as much as possible early on. It is a hard adjustment (especially if you like to procrastinate like I do), but I cannot over stress the importance of this. Plus, you want to perform well on the first few exams for each class so that you have a bit of a buffer in the event you do not perform well enough later during the semester. Long story short, set yourself for success early on and you will be fine even if you slip up a bit later in the semester.

I understand you are nervous for the program, but don't stress yourself out before even starting it. For now, enjoy the fact that you have been accepted. You'll have plenty of opportunities to be stressed/nervous during the program lol.

Accepted!
Verified: 9/17/18
First Update: 10/10/18
Final Review Update: 12/4/18
Admissions Offer: 12/19/18

Stats:
cGPA: 3.38

I am looking for a female roommate (I am already on the waitlist for a 2BR at Knollwood) - if interested please send me a message directly!

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody in July!!

I received my acceptance email on 1/1/19 but I haven’t gotten a follow up email about depositis or anything. When I called Ms. Baillard started to just stay in the look out for the follow up email is anyone else still waiting for the additional email?

Accepted!
Verified: 9/17/18
First Update: 10/10/18
Final Review Update: 12/4/18
Admissions Offer: 12/19/18

Stats:
cGPA: 3.38

I am looking for a female roommate (I am already on the waitlist for a 2BR at Knollwood) - if interested please send me a message directly!

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody in July!!
I’m interested! How should we get in contact

Accepted! 1/1/19

Currently in the process of looking for apartments near campus. I’m considering Apartment Heights but would like a female roommate anyone interested ?

Accepted! 1/1/19

Currently in the process of looking for apartments near campus. I’m considering Apartment Heights but would like a female roommate anyone interested ?
I am trying to message you directly, but I think your privacy filters are blocking it. Can you try messaging me so we can discuss?

Don't fret! You'll get in. Just be ready for the work! its very doable and surpass-able.

Current MABS student.
Hi
I am trying to apply for MABS but I see it is for applachian region, under represented population. Wondering if they take out of state (I am from IL) students and asians.

Hi
I am trying to apply for MABS but I see it is for applachian region, under represented population. Wondering if they take out of state (I am from IL) students and asians.

I'm Asian from NE.

Hi

If I were you, I'd put in an app now. Cause this is the time where MD / DO hopeful are getting rejected / scrambling to find something and these guys will definitely have the stats for MABS.

I'm Asian from NE.
Good to hear and btw Congrats!! I will put in my app. But, I hope someone who is in MABS program answers this question on how many asians and out of state students do they have in their graduating class...

Good to hear and btw Congrats!! I will put in my app. But, I hope someone who is in MABS program answers this question on how many asians and out of state students do they have in their graduating class...
dont know stats, definitely take out of state students, i am out of state. (out of state students go t AU or carolinas campus if accepted to med school). There are asians in our class.

Seems like a good program to get into VCOM by December, I guess my only hesitation is the mandatory attendance at VCOM.

I assume there are a lot of things to do on campus though since it's next to VTech? How much free time do you guys have besides studying and going to class?