2019-2020 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted my deposit. Let's go Class of 2024!! Does anyone know if there's an orientation date set /where I would find info like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted my deposit. Let's go Class of 2024!! Does anyone know if there's an orientation date set /where I would find info like that?

They sent all that information in the matriculation packet but it’s currently still set for July 20th if I’m not mistaken!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, quick question about the background checks. If we have already completed one using Castle Branch can we use that for every school we are accepted to or do we have to do every single one individually?

Anyone apply to Summerfield for apartments? I'm a little confused by the online application and how I know which unit I'm given (paid the $300 deposit but their website doesn't have much info).

Anyone apply to Summerfield for apartments? I'm a little confused by the online application and how I know which unit I'm given (paid the $300 deposit but their website doesn't have much info).
I applied on Wednesday and they emailed me later that day to inform me they reserved my apartment and I will get more information about which unit etc late June

I had to do it individually

Hey guys, quick question about the background checks. If we have already completed one using Castle Branch can we use that for every school we are accepted to or do we have to do every single one individually?

Congrats to all the recent acceptances! Don’t forget to join the ACOM class of 2024 Facebook group and the group me chat.

Can you add the links for these? Thanks!!!

There is no link for the GroupMe-- just open the app, search ACOM 2024 and add yourself!

Facebook ACOM 2024:

Try this for GroupMe:

If you have been wait-listed, would you mind DMing me your stats? I interview pretty late so just want an idea if I'm interviewing for the wait-list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist this morning! Excited to see you all in the fall!
Congratulations! It's nice to know there's some movement in the waitlist. Did you send in a letter of intent?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the waitlist has been ranked yet?

Does anyone know if the waitlist has been ranked yet?

According to mr. Willis they're working on it, probably by the end of the month

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! It's nice to know there's some movement in the waitlist. Did you send in a letter of intent?

Hey, yes I did! However, I definitely recommend reaching out to Mr. Willis if you're waitlisted because he was able to tell me more information about why I was put on the waitlist and what I could do to improve my chances of acceptance. Good luck!

I talked to Mr. Willis past Monday and he did say that school is waiting on quite a few students to pay their deposit and they have time till end of this month. He expects most wait list movement will happen the first week of May and their admission committee is possibly thinking to open one more interview date too.

Reactions: 5 users
Would anyone be able to explain what makes the 3rd/4th year rotations here superior to other schools? I’ve heard people say they have great rotation sites but I would just like more info!

Would anyone be able to explain what makes the 3rd/4th year rotations here superior to other schools? I’ve heard people say they have great rotation sites but I would just like more info!
The big thing they talked about during my interview was that most schools startup without clinical sites. ACOM through SouthEastern Health was able to secure rotations sites before they even sat their first class. This helped them train the preceptors and make it so most students stay in Alabama or close by. If you look at newer schools like ICOM they have rotations sites in New York, South Dakota, and Lousiana I belive. I am not sure that the sites are "superior" but from what I heard from students you get a lot of hands-on learning as well as good preceptors that want to teach which is way different than other schools.

I talked to Mr. Willis past Monday and he did say that school is waiting on quite a few students to pay their deposit and they have time till end of this month. He expects most wait list movement will happen the first week of May and their admission committee is possibly thinking to open one more interview date too.
Oh wow, they're going to do another interview. Did he say anything about how many spots are open?

Oh wow, they're going to do another interview. Did he say anything about how many spots are open?
Nothing is guaranteed and they admission committee is considering for Another possible interview date.

Depends on what you are looking for in rotations. ACOM’s rotation sites vary. Some are stronger than others in terms of amount of preceptors, preceptors’ connections to residency programs or research, more interesting disease pathologies in the population, variety, etc.

Also, do you prefer team-based rotations that some med school rotations have if they have a residency program attached vs one-on-one preceptor ship. Some of the rotation sites are near a big hospital where they have other med students and residents work together, very similar to residency. Most of the ACOM rotations will be one-on-one. You will rarely have to look for any preceptors or rotations 3rd and 4th year. ACOM does it for you, Some med schools would require you to go out and find your own rotation/preceptors, which is stressful.

Pros:
- can be more hands on learning and opportunities depending on your preceptor and if student is motivated (Ex first assist in surgeries)
- mentorship if you’re preceptor is good
- less structured didactics (ex some sites/preceptors don’t care for journal clubs, talking about the hottest research study/topic/trial)
- some preceptors don’t require you to work on weekends if they don’t work or not require call/overnight shifts

Cons:
- some students will not be able to experience what residency would be like until 4th year auditions (or until intern year)
- less opportunities to work in teams, like with other med students, residents, etc
- harder for research opportunities
- may not prepare you as well for auditions
- LORs hit or miss

I was lucky and got placed into one of the more popular cities. I didn’t mind the one-on-one learning and liked the attention from my attendings. My SO already went through med school at a private MD institution so I was familiar with the experience. Complaining of being bogged down with BS didactics, journal clubs, constant Ppt presentations they needed to make, watching residents on most surgical procedures because they and fellows got first dibs, so much calls as a med student etc. I also knew I would personally do fine transitioning to intern year of residency because I’m a fast learner, so having residency-like rotations wasn’t what I cared for.

Overall, I’m pretty content with my 3rd and 4th year rotations at ACOM and the amount of free time I had. I also wasn’t the type to want to do every single experience before residency because I may never do it again, or wanted to be overworked before residency. Holding a retractor for an open chest case for hours?? Nah, I’m good, can watch it on the other side of the curtain with anesthesia.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on what you are looking for in rotations. ACOM’s rotation sites vary. Some are stronger than others in terms of amount of preceptors, preceptors’ connections to residency programs or research, more interesting disease pathologies in the population, variety, etc.

Also, do you prefer team-based rotations that some med school rotations have if they have a residency program attached vs one-on-one preceptor ship. Some of the rotation sites are near a big hospital where they have other med students and residents work together, very similar to residency. Most of the ACOM rotations will be one-on-one. You will rarely have to look for any preceptors or rotations 3rd and 4th year. ACOM does it for you, Some med schools would require you to go out and find your own rotation/preceptors, which is stressful.

Pros:
- can be more hands on learning and opportunities depending on your preceptor and if student is motivated (Ex first assist in surgeries)
- mentorship if you’re preceptor is good
- less structured didactics (ex some sites/preceptors don’t care for journal clubs, talking about the hottest research study/topic/trial)
- some preceptors don’t require you to work on weekends if they don’t work or not require call/overnight shifts

Cons:
- some students will not be able to experience what residency would be like until 4th year auditions (or until intern year)
- less opportunities to work in teams, like with other med students, residents, etc
- harder for research opportunities
- may not prepare you as well for auditions
- LORs hit or miss

I was lucky and got placed into one of the more popular cities. I didn’t mind the one-on-one learning and liked the attention from my attendings. My SO already went through med school at a private MD institution so I was familiar with the experience. Complaining of being bogged down with BS didactics, journal clubs, constant Ppt presentations they needed to make, watching residents on most surgical procedures because they and fellows got first dibs, so much calls as a med student etc. I also knew I would personally do fine transitioning to intern year of residency because I’m a fast learner, so having residency-like rotations wasn’t what I cared for.

Overall, I’m pretty content with my 3rd and 4th year rotations at ACOM and the amount of free time I had. I also wasn’t the type to want to do every single experience before residency because I may never do it again, or wanted to be overworked before residency. Holding a retractor for an open chest case for hours?? Nah, I’m good, can watch it on the other side of the curtain with anesthesia.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Thank you for the detailed reply! Do most students get the rotation site they request? Would you happen to know how their rotations compare to rotations at William Carey?

Thank you for the detailed reply! Do most students get the rotation site they request? Would you happen to know how their rotations compare to rotations at William Carey?

Back when I was there a year or two ago, administration said like 80% or something of the class get one of their top 3 choices. No idea what William Carey’s rotations are like so I cannot compare. I was not interested in living in Mississippi unless it was the last resort. For ACOM, at least all our rotation sites are in AL or FL panhandle whereas other schools may have you in many different states or across the country.

Thank you! That's hopeful news. Maybe they will open interview spots for Interview Waitlist Hold applicants.

To add to the above, there's a handful of core sites that have FM residencies so you'll get some ward based rotations depending on where you go.
Here's the core site list as of this year:
1587367609633.png

Of these the following have residencies:
South Baldwin - FM
Southeast - IM (Working on EM/TY)
St. Vincent - FM
Cahaba - FM

Waiting for ACGME approval:
Thomas - FM - Expects to start matching residents 2020
Marshall
Altapointe/Springhill - FM

Received Institutional Accreditation
Gadsden - FM - Expects to start matching residents 2022
Crestwood - FM

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted my deposit. Excited to see you all in the fall! Does anyone know when we get our financial information? How long did it take to receive the matriculation packet?

Just submitted my deposit. Excited to see you all in the fall! Does anyone know when we get our financial information? How long did it take to receive the matriculation packet?
I have not seen any financial information yet (accepted Nov) but last I heard we should receive at the end of April or the middle of May. Matriculation packet you should get in a few weeks.

Did you guys have to fill out fafsa?

I emailed Ms. Skipper on April 6th and at the time she told me that we would be receiving financial aid instructions by later that week, but I haven't received any instructions. I was going to probably follow-up later this week.

To add to the above, there's a handful of core sites that have FM residencies so you'll get some ward based rotations depending on where you go.
Here's the core site list as of this year:
View attachment 302895

Of these the following have residencies:
South Baldwin - FM
Southeast - IM (Working on EM/TY)
St. Vincent - FM
Cahaba - FM

Waiting for ACGME approval:
Thomas - FM - Expects to start matching residents 2020
Marshall
Altapointe/Springhill - FM

Received Institutional Accreditation
Gadsden - FM - Expects to start matching residents 2022
Crestwood - FM

I think Altapointe’s director can help you get into the USA’s psych program if you’re interested in psych.

I think Altapointe’s director can help you get into the USA’s psych program if you’re interested in psych.
I heard something about a psych program starting up during the hospital expo last week, but I missed like 90% of the conversation. Do you happen to know any details?

I heard something about a psych program starting up during the hospital expo last week, but I missed like 90% of the conversation. Do you happen to know any details?
I wish it would happen buy there’s been talk about SAMC opening one since I was in 2nd year

Anyone have any additional info on the 'adding another interview date' rumor?

Anyone have any additional info on the 'adding another interview date' rumor?

I spoke to Mr Willis and he said that they aren't any open seats currently. Anything that opens up would be from a dropped acceptance. He didn't specifically say no to any further interviews, but it seemed unlikely.

I spoke to Mr Willis and he said that they aren't any open seats currently. Anything that opens up would be from a dropped acceptance. He didn't specifically say no to any further interviews, but it seemed unlikely.

it’s starting to be late April and I would start thinking about application season coming up. There is still a chance of new interviews opening up but I wouldn’t bank on it. The movement of seats usually happens around May 15 when multiple acceptances need to be turned down. This will open up seats but usually there are enough people on the waitlist that they will pull from. Of course this is not a usual year with covid affecting interviews

I'm confused, how are there no open seats, but they plan on having most WL movement occur during the first week of May (according to a previous post)...?

I am not sure if this has been answered before but does anyone know historically the percentage of students accepted from the waitlist?