2019-2020 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like a relatively hostile response to someone who is just interested in learning more about ARCOM.
No response or a simple "no, it's bad timing" would have been sufficient.

@pvt.kabob I have a third-year friend at ARCOM on facebook I can help funnel specific questions to if you still have any. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance and deposit to be close to home, hope it goes to one of you guys on the WL! :happy:

Reactions: 7 users
Agreed.

*finishes some pre-clinical curricula*
*sheds infinite wisdom*
*tells people how to pre-med and what how to live life on a WL*
*just calm down and be humble*

In honesty, you cannot illuminate any insight whatsoever about any school without having attended it for significantly longer than a year. So, @pvt.kabob you're better off looking for a third/fourth year.

If it was such a disparaging request to your humble, helpful persona, no response or a simple "no, it's bad timing" would have been sufficient.

Baffling to suggest you're too busy, that you must vet such requests lol, stalk OPs posting history, and reply multiple times before recommending drug use / medical advice to someone who you think is experiencing anxiety... I think it would have saved time to just answer the Q&A.

@pvt.kabob I have a third-year friend at ARCOM on facebook I can help funnel specific questions to if you still have any. Hope this helps!

Like mentioned before we can answer questions for you guys, but god forbid ain’t no zoom meeting going to happen!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think ARCOM should UA more frequently... Enjoy being put on ignore

It suddenly makes sense why you encourage people on these forums to take drugs. Enjoy being put on ignore

Mom is that you?

Hey bud, it’s just bud... It’s even legal in my deep red state.

You’re great camoixe, a bit sensitive, but great nonetheless.

This is a school-specific thread.
It is the place where this type of bickering is especially unseemly.
Stop immediately.

Agreed! Thank you for editing the posts.

Reactions: 1 users
A friend told me to check out the arguing here. Tbh can really reflect on how a school looks even if it's just a select few people. Thankful I got in somewhere else.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys caught my colleagues and I at a very frustrating time. With them taking multiple final exams this week, and me being very busy with board prep while my classmates COMLEX and USMLE keep getting canceled. I think you guys can forgive us for that, right? Plus I need to move myself two hours away within a month for rotations. Adding on top of all that the stress of staying indoors all the time with some of us having wifes and kids to worry about as well. These are trying times my friends. I know the arguing was uncalled for, but please be understanding of our situations here. While I would have been really happy to video chat with any of you guys, but for now I really can't. If you have a particular question (or questions), you would like to be answered privately please PM me, or any of my colleagues for that matter, and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner (OK, it might be a day or two depending on how those question banks and the practice tests are treating me). Let's keep this thread going with respectful conversation from now on, shall we?

Also, please don't be quick to judge the school because of a few comments you read on a anonymous forum from a few stressed and frustrated students. I did my best earlier in this thread to answer many questions as kindly as possible, but I must admit, it could have easily also been me behind those above comments because I am in their shoes and can feel their pain, and many of you will be there too in a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Interviewed on the fifth for MSB. Got accepted today. Where my runners/cyclists @?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Hello All,

I interviewed in-person and got accepted here at ARCOM and can highlight what I learned from the interview.
  • Faculty and Staff: very welcoming. I saw how nice and respectful faculty/staff were at other schools, but ARCOM was by far the most welcoming. They really showed in their presentation “why” to consider and “choose” them when making your admissions decision (e.g., creating Graduate Medical Education for future residencies, seeking students’ feedback on the curriculum, state-of-the-art facilities, etc.). ARCOM’s mission is serving the “underserved” and attracting future physicians to Arkansas.
  • Creating its school (ACHE) as a leader in health education (Osteopathic Medicine; Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies soon to follow).
  • Early clinical exposure: access to the Good Samaritan’s clinic, pro-bono clinic where Student Doctors get to practice their skills under the supervision of a physician.
  • Once you’re admitted to ARCOM: they put you in an Academy, which includes Student Doctors from OMS1/OMS2/OMS3, faculty member, etc. This Academy is designed to integrate yourself into ARCOM and be a resource.
  • Fort Smith: well developed city with plenty of places to browse around less than 5 minutes from campus. Cost of living is affordable.
  • On-campus housing available at The Residents and Heritage Village: 1 or 2 bedroom layouts (1 bed/1 bath about $900, 2 bed/2 bath options) with full kitchen, living room, bedroom, bath, dryer/washer included, Cable included.
  • Curriculum: I learned about BECOM- how it integrates different subjects (Anatomy/Pharmacology, etc.) to help with critical thinking. Learning is lecture-based learning, small group based learning, and team based learning.
I hope you all consider ARCOM either now or in the future.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello All,

I interviewed in-person and got accepted here at ARCOM and can highlight what I learned from the interview.
  • Faculty and Staff: very welcoming. I saw how nice and respectful faculty/staff were at other schools, but ARCOM was by far the most welcoming. They really showed in their presentation “why” to consider and “choose” them when making your admissions decision (e.g., creating Graduate Medical Education for future residencies, seeking students’ feedback on the curriculum, state-of-the-art facilities, etc.). ARCOM’s mission is serving the “underserved” and attracting future physicians to Arkansas.
  • Creating its school (ACHE) as a leader in health education (Osteopathic Medicine; Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies soon to follow).
  • Early clinical exposure: access to the Good Samaritan’s clinic, pro-bono clinic where Student Doctors get to practice their skills under the supervision of a physician.
  • Once you’re admitted to ARCOM: they put you in an Academy, which includes Student Doctors from OMS1/OMS2/OMS3, faculty member, etc. This Academy is designed to integrate yourself into ARCOM and be a resource.
  • Fort Smith: well developed city with plenty of places to browse around less than 5 minutes from campus. Cost of living is affordable.
  • On-campus housing available at The Residents and Heritage Village: 1 or 2 bedroom layouts (1 bed/1 bath about $900, 2 bed/2 bath options) with full kitchen, living room, bedroom, bath, dryer/washer included, Cable included.
  • Curriculum: I learned about BECOM- how it integrates different subjects (Anatomy/Pharmacology, etc.) to help with critical thinking. Learning is lecture-based learning, small group based learning, and team based learning.
I hope you all consider ARCOM either now or in the future.

Hey congratulations on your acceptance! Did you get the call today?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know how many people are on the waitlist and how many people they typically accept from the waitlist/how many people have been accepted so far off of the waitlist?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how many people are on the waitlist and how many people they typically accept from the waitlist/how many people have been accepted so far off of the waitlist?
The waitlist movement is based solely on how many people drop their spots. The number can vary from year to year.

Last edited:
I was told at the interview(when we had the lunch with current students) that 162 people were accepted off the waitlist last year. It’s still way too early to worry.

Wow, 162 seems like a lot. I hope that is the case this year!

@DrStephenStrange, do you know if it’s possible to defer a waitlist acceptance? Also, has ARCOM made any announcements on how they will conduct classes in the fall? I’ve heard some medical schools are moving towards online classes. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

The president sent out an email last week. So take note this happened BEFORE the Cal State system, and Harvard Med School made their announcements... This could change everything so we’ll see however shakes out.

Building access during the summer is basically normal business hours. That doesn’t really hurt new students much.

There will social distancing markers on the floor (I’m not sure what this totally means... (water fountains, bathrooms?)

When possible workstations will be restricted to the 6’ distancing protocol. (This will be rough to do... I just suspect study space is going to be slashed like crazy... READ: make your apartment a study space as best you can!)

We’ll all be wearing face masks.

There are travel restrictions...

Cant find it anywhere so maybe it was in our meeting, but I think we’ll use both lecture halls at the same time for one class so we can have more space...

When it comes to deferment I wouldn’t think of a WL acceptance being different that a straight acceptance. Deferment is always case-by-case and the situations that are allowable usually aren’t too ARCOM unique. Search around the forum for some of the scenarios that pass the test. It’s not impossible it’s just super super rare. **** has to be pretty intense to defer.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been accepted and will attend the MSB program. Any current/former ACHE and ARCOM students want to share advice for incoming students? Either about living in the area, classes such as anatomy (any outside resource that we should know about?), etc.

Good luck to everyone. I sincerely hope you all have a smooth transition to becoming doctors :)

Incoming students can message me as a resource if you want. I’m a current student there in the MSB program. I know the med students are busy with finals and studying so I just wanted to help out!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a believer in solid textbooks that you can reference in throughout your education. From here on out you'll be building your medical science foundation. It's nice to quickly reference things. The way I see it, "borrow" every text in a select topic. When you find the one you like and goes along with your style, legit buy it! We're at a level now where all the information is the same it's just delivered differently (this would never work in undergrad.)

I'll do a little bit of anatomy now and make other post on my study breaks.

Books
Don't get me wrong Netters is classic and everyone should own it because it is apart of medical history. But Thieme has the best diagrams and their layouts our amazing. Many of our professors use it when they personally look things up.

Amazon product
Rohen is amazing for cadaver anatomy. I didn't realize there were cadaver atlases until after the second test smh.

Amazon product
This book really covers how to apply what you're doing in class to our future profession.

YouTube
This dude is amazing. He teaches at U of U med school, so he teaches to the depth medical students need to know. Extremely clear videos.

Q-banks
Amazon product

I'm a huge believer in doing Gray's questions. UMich questions would be done first and then all of Gray's. If you do this you will 100% get a high B or a low A....

If you're going to use Anki (I suggest the Anking deck), you can start using it from the get go... You can use the MSK tag and a lot of it (if not everything?) will be covered in it.

Reactions: 7 users
@WhereMyLiberalsAt oh my god! Thank you so much!! I really appreciate you taking the time to list your recommendations. This is awesome! Thanks again!!

****I wrote this over 4 pomodoro study breaks and will keep writing more if its useful.

I'll give a little more information on anatomy because both OM1s and MSBs will benefit from it and I might do a little BECOM in a different post...

The earlier post was pretty universal information so I'll give you ARCOM specific information. Disclaimer: This is purely opinion and I know for a fact that some of my fellow classmates would disagree with me; but I also know some would 100% agree with me. Also faculty may change stuff for your class so this might not be directly applicable.

You will have four test and four lab practicals (each worth 12.5% of your total grade.) You take the in class exam and then later throughout the day you take the lab practicals.

The in class exams are ok. Some horribly written questions, and some fantastic clinical questions... It comes out to a wash and will never really make or break anyone, unless you're the type of person aiming for the +95th percentile. I thin some of my classmates unnecessarily struggled on the in class exams. You learn anatomy through waves, with each successive wave adding on more information. Make sure every wave comes with some clinical knowledge... Don't lose yourself in the random facts. Your professors aren't going to ask you that stuff, nor do you need to know it. If it can "break" and it has a common presentation then you know it. (i.e. You fall out of a tree and try to grab a branch = someone falls of the roof and grabs the ledge = you pull a baby out of the birth canal by their arm = common presentation w/common nerve damage.)

However that pure clinical thinking doesn't strictly help you in practicals. ARCOM goes pretty hardcore on their practicals; its not uncommon to have 70-80 tags, all fill in the blank (I think the amount of tags is excessive... Not necessary what they tag or the list they pull from.) I wish they did more second/third order tags because then you could practice clinical type questions but that probably won't happen (because that is a hella unpopular opinion, but whatever.) The best thing you can do for practicals is find someone smarter than you and make friends with them... I'd say three of my best friends in class were made by them helping me in the lab.

****Side rant (not necessary to read)****
I do want to add that I think it's important to manage your time in the lab. It can become easy to think that more time = hard work = good grades... This type of thinking is quite common at the start of the semester and can be "nurtured" by the anatomy faculty (they mean well) but it just isn't the case. Grab your smarter friend, grab a list with 10 tags and go see those tags on every cadaver and LEAVE! Don't get carried away and look at more or jump in with another group. There is a healthy 10 minute ritual of bitching and moaning before true studying happens, and you'll have to do it with that group before they really get into the groove. Don't be a prick but just tell them the truth and tell the other group maybe next time. You will be told by faculty that people need to spend more time in the lab OR that they are impressed by the amount of time you guys spend in the lab.... Just make ask yourself how many more hours would you need to spend to go from that 83% ---> 90%... Those 15 hours could be spent taking care of your mental health. Our professors do mean well though.
****Side rant over****

Soft layout of your semester if it matches what we just did

Test/practical 1: MSK Back/Arms
Test/practical 2: MSK Legs/Cardio/Pulm
Test/practical 3: GI/Repro
Test/practical 4: Head/Neck

**Spring semester neuro anatomy**

Seriously, like seriously, crush your first 2 test (specifically the practicals) because when you get to GI/Repro/Head/Neck the tags start getting wtf. Especially, GI/Repro; never thought I'd mistake an anus for a vagina, or a bladder for a uterus... But... It is what it is.... But put in the work early because our curriculum is a meat grinder for anatomy. The pace and depth is rough and you will need some cushion.

But the biggest tip of all is play the game! What do I mean? Every lecture is worth 5 questions... So make sure you are NOT giving too much time to a specific topic/lecture. Also there are certain topics that are a common thread throughout that section. A good example is the following lecture series

1) Axilla
2) Brachial plexus
3) Arm and Cubital Fossa
4) Anterior Forearm
5) Palmer hand
6) Posterior Forearm and Dorsum of hand
7) Upper limb joints
8) Superficial Structures of upper limb (actually should be first in list)

So we have 40 points for those eight hours of lecture... Also during this time we had 8 lecture hours in histo/embryo (40 more points)...

What is the one subject/common thread in all eight of those lectures? The brachial plexus... If you have one more week until the test and you are getting wrecked on "anterior forearm" then just forget it and pick up the easy points else where (get the easy 5/5 points in the histo lecture.) Get the obvious low handing fruit from the ant. forearm (like 2 of the 5 points) and hopefully you mastering the common thread will snag another 2 points landing you at 4/5 for your weak subject. Don't feel bad doing this because the common thread usually has the most clinical application anyways.

Anymore information at this point (maybe all of this) would just be rambling... So if you want more just ask specifics.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
****I wrote this over 4 pomodoro study breaks and will keep writing more if its useful.

I'll give a little more information on anatomy because both OM1s and MSBs will benefit from it and I might do a little BECOM in a different post...

The earlier post was pretty universal information so I'll give you ARCOM specific information. Disclaimer: This is purely opinion and I know for a fact that some of my fellow classmates would disagree with me; but I also know some would 100% agree with me. Also faculty may change stuff for your class so this might not be directly applicable.

You will have four test and four lab practicals (each worth 12.5% of your total grade.) You take the in class exam and then later throughout the day you take the lab practicals.

The in class exams are ok. Some horribly written questions, and some fantastic clinical questions... It comes out to a wash and will never really make or break anyone, unless you're the type of person aiming for the +95th percentile. I thin some of my classmates unnecessarily struggled on the in class exams. You learn anatomy through waves, with each successive wave adding on more information. Make sure every wave comes with some clinical knowledge... Don't lose yourself in the random facts. Your professors aren't going to ask you that stuff, nor do you need to know it. If it can "break" and it has a common presentation then you know it. (i.e. You fall out of a tree and try to grab a branch = someone falls of the roof and grabs the ledge = you pull a baby out of the birth canal by their arm = common presentation w/common nerve damage.)

However that pure clinical thinking doesn't strictly help you in practicals. ARCOM goes pretty hardcore on their practicals; its not uncommon to have 70-80 tags, all fill in the blank (I think the amount of tags is excessive... Not necessary what they tag or the list they pull from.) I wish they did more second/third order tags because then you could practice clinical type questions but that probably won't happen (because that is a hella unpopular opinion, but whatever.) The best thing you can do for practicals is find someone smarter than you and make friends with them... I'd say three of my best friends in class were made by them helping me in the lab.

****Side rant (not necessary to read)****
I do want to add that I think it's important to manage your time in the lab. It can become easy to think that more time = hard work = good grades... This type of thinking is quite common at the start of the semester and can be "nurtured" by the anatomy faculty (they mean well) but it just isn't the case. Grab your smarter friend, grab a list with 10 tags and go see those tags on every cadaver and LEAVE! Don't get carried away and look at more or jump in with another group. There is a healthy 10 minute ritual of bitching and moaning before true studying happens, and you'll have to do it with that group before they really get into the groove. Don't be a prick but just tell them the truth and tell the other group maybe next time. You will be told by faculty that people need to spend more time in the lab OR that they are impressed by the amount of time you guys spend in the lab.... Just make ask yourself how many more hours would you need to spend to go from that 83% ---> 90%... Those 15 hours could be spent taking care of your mental health. Our professors do mean well though.
****Side rant over****

Soft layout of your semester if it matches what we just did

Test/practical 1: MSK Back/Arms
Test/practical 2: MSK Legs/Cardio/Pulm
Test/practical 3: GI/Repro
Test/practical 4: Head/Neck

**Spring semester neuro anatomy**

Seriously, like seriously, crush your first 2 test (specifically the practicals) because when you get to GI/Repro/Head/Neck the tags start getting wtf. Especially, GI/Repro; never thought I'd mistake an anus for a vagina, or a bladder for a uterus... But... It is what it is.... But put in the work early because our curriculum is a meat grinder for anatomy. The pace and depth is rough and you will need some cushion.

But the biggest tip of all is play the game! What do I mean? Every lecture is worth 5 questions... So make sure you are NOT giving too much time to a specific topic/lecture. Also there are certain topics that are a common thread throughout that section. A good example is the following lecture series

1) Axilla
2) Brachial plexus
3) Arm and Cubital Fossa
4) Anterior Forearm
5) Palmer hand
6) Posterior Forearm and Dorsum of hand
7) Upper limb joints
8) Superficial Structures of upper limb (actually should be first in list)

So we have 40 points for those eight hours of lecture... Also during this time we had 8 lecture hours in histo/embryo (40 more points)...

What is the one subject/common thread in all eight of those lectures? The brachial plexus... If you have one more week until the test and you are getting wrecked on "anterior forearm" then just forget it and pick up the easy points else where (get the easy 5/5 points in the histo lecture.) Get the obvious low handing fruit from the ant. forearm (like 2 of the 5 points) and hopefully you mastering the common thread will snag another 2 points landing you at 4/5 for your weak subject. Don't feel bad doing this because the common thread usually has the most clinical application anyways.

Anymore information at this point (maybe all of this) would just be rambling... So if you want more just ask specifics.

Wow. lot of useful information, thanks! Funny as you get older, it becomes more about learning how to study, then studying itself.

Could anyone speak of their experience with the anatomy bootcamp? Do you have dissection during that time or just lectures? I’ve taken anatomy previously but it’s been a while and I know anatomy is a challenging course at ARCOM.
Thanks so much!

Just called the admissions office and found out the waitlist has started moving!

Reactions: 6 users
Does the campus have Tesla super chargers? Do many people live off campus?

Does the campus have Tesla super chargers? Do many people live off campus?

There are electric car charging stations, but I'm not sure what Tesla super charger looks like as I'm not used to those cars. I do know that one of our faculty members have a Tesla and charges it using those stations regularly. Most people live on campus, for the convenience, but there are cheaper options with similar amenities off campus if you prefer.

Last edited:
Hi All. I’m an OMS2 at Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine. I’m stuck in the Ft. Smith area and looking for a a kind soul al allow me to take a proctored exam on Friday over zoom. #COVID19, #distance learning med school!

I have the equipment. Just need a quiet space and reliable internet!

So I am thinking of applying here..super nonTrad , low uGPA (cGPA) 2.69 but 4.0 pbGPA (18 credits) 3.7 SMP GPA (hard science- 60 credits) and a 510 mcat..I know someone mentioned a screen earlier but do they look at trends at this school? I emailed the dean Dr. McClain and he seemed very receptive to a higher trend especially in the hard upper division sciences but not sure if that even gets looked at if there is a screening process.. So any insight on this would be helpful.

So I am thinking of applying here..super nonTrad , low uGPA (cGPA) 2.69 but 4.0 pbGPA (18 credits) 3.7 SMP GPA (hard science- 60 credits) and a 510 mcat..I know someone mentioned a screen earlier but do they look at trends at this school? I emailed the dean Dr. McClain and he seemed very receptive to a higher trend especially in the hard upper division sciences but not sure if that even gets looked at if there is a screening process.. So any insight on this would be helpful.
I think you’ll be okay:) I can’t speak for admissions office but from my own interview process, I would say they are a new school and more open to accepting students who may have had a rough patch but then improved. And in interviews it all personality. As long as you do you application early I’m sure they’ll consider you’re trends and good mcat score.

Hey I have a question if anyone would be kind to give me their opinion on. Im applying this cycle and about to take the MCAT with all this COVID stuff going on, but I am wondering what you think my lowest possible MCAT score could be to get in. Obviously Im trying to do my best on it, but with the current situation and everything what your thoughts are. Im a traditional student with a 3.9 gpa and a 3.85 science gpa. I have about 500 hours of research credit under organic chemistry working with metal-organic frameworks and their applications to PET scans. I have about 400 plus hours of volunteer/shadowing. I believe my rec letters and personal statements are really good. Any thoughts? Thank you

What was the Furniture store called that ACHE students can get a discount at? And how much was that discount?

Hey I have a question if anyone would be kind to give me their opinion on. Im applying this cycle and about to take the MCAT with all this COVID stuff going on, but I am wondering what you think my lowest possible MCAT score could be to get in. Obviously Im trying to do my best on it, but with the current situation and everything what your thoughts are. Im a traditional student with a 3.9 gpa and a 3.85 science gpa. I have about 500 hours of research credit under organic chemistry working with metal-organic frameworks and their applications to PET scans. I have about 400 plus hours of volunteer/shadowing. I believe my rec letters and personal statements are really good. Any thoughts? Thank you

You ideally need to score at least a 500 to be competitive at a US school. Many schools are closer to the 510-512 range, however.

That being said, I took it once (definitely could’ve done been!) and scored sub-500. I interviewed at 3 schools and was accepted to 2. Just my 2 cents!

Edit: don’t forget that more students apply every year and every school gets more competitive. But your MCAT is still only 1 piece to your overall picture.

Of course you will be hoping for the best highest score, but remember that just because you get below a 500 does not automatically mean you no longer have a chance. People with lower than 500 MCAT scores get into medical school every year.

You can retake the MCAT. Apply early - as soon as the application opens. You have a solid college coursework with research and volunteer hours but also understand that getting in to medical school is a game.

ARCOM wants to see who you are as a person. I genuinely fully believe that. If your application grants you an interview (meaning they believe you can handle the load of medical school), it will then be your job to be honest/genuine in the interview. ARCOM looks at much more than your MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
There are currently 130 members on the Facebook page. 4 are admins

Waiting to see if my friend gets pulled from the waitlist, what did the email say?

Does anyone know why the ARCOM class of 2024 Facebook group went from 130 members down to 7?
Still shows 130 for me. Maybe you're looking at the wrong one. I think someone started a non-official one way back, so it's probably still out there not closed. The one created by the school still shows 130 right now.

Does anyone know why the ARCOM class of 2024 Facebook group went from 130 members down to 7?

We got an email this morning saying that there was an issue with the Facebook page. However, looking at it now, it looks like the issue has resolved and now has 130 members.

The class is full at 150 right? So if there’s 130 on Facebook there should be 20 more spots?

The class is full at 150 right? So if there’s 130 on Facebook there should be 20 more spots?
I don’t think it’s indicative of number of spots. Many may not have Facebook and some might me faculty and students of different years. We did get an email saying that they expect more movement in the coming weeks so hopefully that is true and we get a chance to join the class of 2024